Babcom 95 - A UK Con of some sort

Steve Glover

Mar 9, 1995, 2:52:43 PM3/9/95
Con is the word, all right. But you mean confidence trick, not
convention. Conventions are run by and for the people who attend
them. This *thing* is being run to line someone's pockets.

Still I can understand why you need to charge so much: there's not
that many fools about with that much cash, and you need to skin each
one good and proper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>minute cheap rate and 49p per minute all other times. (U.K. Only)
Erm. "Blatant extortion?" Why not try a proper convention? You could
have four days at Eastercon for that price. (Or three at Worldcon, but
it's WAY bigger -- Nearly 6000 square meters of dealer room/art show
(if you like that sort of thing), and enough programming to fill three
hotels and five halls of the SECC)

>Mike Broadhurst, University of Leicester, England, UK
>Editor of Engage/SciFi Zone and X-Files-UK. Email : m...@le.ac.uk
~~~~~
Steve, who's not saying anything about B5 programming at Worldcon yet.
Now soliciting for Spring 1995 issue of Etranger: topics include morality in
works of people called Smith or about people called Smith; net stuff of likely
interest to SF fans, art... Deadline 23-MAR-1995: steve_...@hicom.lut.ac.uk

Jeannette Simpson

Mar 10, 1995, 12:12:13 PM3/10/95
In article <3jnmab$h...@tardis.tardis.ed.ac.uk>

kur...@tardis.tardis.ed.ac.uk "Steve Glover" writes:
> Erm. "Blatant extortion?" Why not try a proper convention? You could
> have four days at Eastercon for that price. (Or three at Worldcon, but
> it's WAY bigger -- Nearly 6000 square meters of dealer room/art show
> (if you like that sort of thing), and enough programming to fill three
> hotels and five halls of the SECC)
>
> >Mike Broadhurst, University of Leicester, England, UK
> >Editor of Engage/SciFi Zone and X-Files-UK. Email : m...@le.ac.uk
> ~~~~~
> Steve, who's not saying anything about B5 programming at Worldcon yet.
> --

Yes, but will jms, CC, PJ and crew members of B5 be there? I agree that
it's an overpriced con. *but* I want a chance (small that it might be) to
meet these people.

--
Jeannette Simpson "Death is not in dying,
j...@migvale.demon.co.uk But the unfeeling heart

Steve Glover

Mar 13, 1995, 5:06:44 AM3/13/95
Jeannette Simpson (j...@migvale.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: > Steve, who's not saying anything about B5 programming at Worldcon yet.
: > --

: Yes, but will jms, CC, PJ and crew members of B5 be there? I agree that
: it's an overpriced con. *but* I want a chance (small that it might be) to
: meet these people.

Fair enough. As they say, you get what you pay for. I'm still unclear on
what B5 programming we're running at Worldcon, even after the posting
from my colleague from the Science programme, and I can only assume that
*something* is going on -- but this is speculation based on what I've
seen on the non-Board internal mailing lists.

I think what I was trying to say was "don't expect too much", and I sort
of over-expressed it.

Steve

Mike Dunn

Mar 14, 1995, 2:17:58 PM3/14/95
Jeannette Simpson (j...@migvale.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: > ~~~~~

: > Steve, who's not saying anything about B5 programming at Worldcon yet.
: > --

: Yes, but will jms, CC, PJ and crew members of B5 be there? I agree that
: it's an overpriced con. *but* I want a chance (small that it might be) to
: meet these people.

Then go to WOLF 359!

--
Mike Dunn at Home.
Email: mi...@mdunn.demon.co.uk

Philip H. J. Davies

Mar 15, 1995, 10:20:40 AM3/15/95
Okay I'm hooked on the possibility of a UK Bab5Con.

Tell me more.

"I am, as you humans say, all ears." (Pardon me compromising my
anti-STTNG princples :-) )

P.H.J.D.