Re: ..once a fucking gain

NY

Apr 9, 2021, 5:49:48 PM4/9/21
"Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
news:s4q57b$vk7$2...@dont-email.me...
> HIGNFY bumped because the BBC ran out of channels.

There seems to be a school of thought that a major news story should be
covered as a simultaneous broadcast on all your channels. Fine that BBC,
ITV, CH4 and Sky all make their own programmes and tributes, but BBC should
restrict those programmes to just one of their channels - ideally BBC News
since that's what it's there for, leaving BBC1, 2 and 4 to show scheduled
programmes - maybe with alterations for anything that is unintentionally
inappropriate.

Maybe direct viewers of BBC1 and BBC2 to BBC News by means of captions and
announcements between programmes.

Having more channels isn't a reason to simulcast on as many as you have ;-)

Col

Apr 10, 2021, 1:08:53 AM4/10/21
Just tuned into BBC1 and they're still at it!
A lot of the coverage seems to be the same footage over and over again
anyway.

OK, it's sad that he's died and all that but he was 99.
Especially given what has happened over the last year or so, some kind
of perspective might be in order.

--
Col

pe...@never.here

Apr 10, 2021, 5:06:35 AM4/10/21
The BBC appear to have set up a web page to handle complaints.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/death-duke-of-edinburgh-tv-coverage/#/Notification
--
Pete

Max Demian

Apr 10, 2021, 5:59:59 AM4/10/21
On 10/04/2021 08:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
> One of our weekly routines is the Friday Night comedy podcast driving
> shopping.
>
> Not this week, with Phil the Greek shuffling of his mortal coil. Even
> fucking radio was fucking fucked.

The Freeview EPG says that the final episode of The Now Show will be on
at 12.30 today (Saturday), and my PVR has selected it. This may or may
not happen, but it will have been recorded before The Death, as will
HIGNFY. The extended edition of the latter is still listed for Monday at
10pm on BBC2.

Battlestar Galactica has missed two episodes from BBC2. I don't know
whether they will show them instead of those scheduled for next week, or
whether they will expect us to view them with iPlayer.

--
Max Demian

Dave W

Apr 10, 2021, 7:12:49 AM4/10/21
Radio Times says the Saturday Now Show will also be repeated on Monday
at 11pm and on Radio 4 Extra on Tuesday at 9am.
--
Dave W

NY

Apr 10, 2021, 7:18:17 AM4/10/21
"Col" <reddw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
What was worse was that BBC Four was off altogether. Not something useful
like retrospective programmes - just a caption "out of respect". I don't
hold with the "stop all the clocks" attitude to death: by all means stop
what you were doing and instead remember the person, but don't just switch
off and do *nothing*. That might have been socially acceptable at one time,
but it was mis-judged for 2021.

The BBC seemed to go into total meltdown - they abandoned programmes *on all
channels, TV and radio*, rather than just on one "breaking news" channel
while retaining normality elsewhere. Some might call that respectful; I call
it condescending and patronising.

Mike Swift

Apr 10, 2021, 7:39:30 AM4/10/21
In article <ga037gpphfjojhlcc...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>>HIGNFY bumped because the BBC ran out of channels.
>>
>>Clearly, to them, "digital" is something that happened to someone else.
>>
>>Nobs.
>
>Ran out of channels to show Prince Philip? BBC4 had all programmes
>cancelled and none replaced.

Fortunately the digital channels didn't join in and I had enough stuff
recorded for a normal evenings viewing.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

JNugent

Apr 10, 2021, 11:48:56 AM4/10/21
The third episode of the Churchill biog (C5) was cancelled and replaced
last night, postponed to this evening (if it happens).

But the Sky+ box recorded whatever C5 actually transmitted under the
Churchill title. It also reset itself to record the programme this evening.

NY

Apr 11, 2021, 7:06:20 AM4/11/21
"JNugent" <jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> The third episode of the Churchill biog (C5) was cancelled and replaced
> last night, postponed to this evening (if it happens).
>
> But the Sky+ box recorded whatever C5 actually transmitted under the
> Churchill title. It also reset itself to record the programme this
> evening.

My PVR (TVHeadend software on Raspberry Pi) did the same: recorded an
episode of a programme about a woman walking the coastal path around Whitby.
But last night it did indeed record a repeat of the Churchill documentary.
So the technology really does pick up postponed showings, as long as they
are included in the revised EPG which (for TVHeadend) is scheduled to
download overnight. That's why it is frustrating when channels broadcast a
programme later the same day or move it to another channel, because the
change will not have made it to the EPG. If they move it a later date, it
probably *will* get into the EPG and your PVR will record it.