Re: Gold

Ar

Mar 1, 2023, 7:14:45 AM3/1/23
On 01/03/2023 10:40, Martin wrote:
> I'm glad that my wife and I aren't alone in thinking the figures in Gold, the
> drama about the Mat Brink bullion robbery, don't make sense. Lots of people
> queried them in Radio 4's More or Less this morning. I thought they didn't make
> sense at the time of the trial.

Fiddle the losses to get a bigger insurance payout.

Mike Swift

Mar 1, 2023, 7:52:01 AM3/1/23
In article <ffauvh5iv076s5vcd...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>I'm glad that my wife and I aren't alone in thinking the figures in Gold, the
>drama about the Mat Brink bullion robbery, don't make sense. Lots of
>people queried them in Radio 4's More or Less this morning. I thought they
>didn't make sense at the time of the trial.

Watched the first episode and gave up, 6 episodes when 2 would have
done, far too plodding.

I did laugh at the way they were handling the gold bars, looked like
they were carrying a box of tissues.

I did look it up and a standard bar of bullion weighs in at almost 12.5
Kg., there is even a post in next week's Radio Times on the same
subject.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Stephen Wolstenholme

Mar 2, 2023, 10:51:24 AM3/2/23
On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:48:06 -0000 (UTC), Gordon Freeman
<Gor...@freeman.invalid> wrote:

>Mike Swift <mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <ffauvh5iv076s5vcd...@4ax.com>, Martin
>> <m...@address.invalid> writes
>>>I'm glad that my wife and I aren't alone in thinking the figures
>in
>>>Gold, the drama about the Mat Brink bullion robbery, don't make
>sense.
>>>Lots of people queried them in Radio 4's More or Less this
>morning. I
>>>thought they didn't make sense at the time of the trial.
>>
>> Watched the first episode and gave up, 6 episodes when 2 would
>have
>> done, far too plodding.
>>
>> I did laugh at the way they were handling the gold bars, looked
>like
>> they were carrying a box of tissues.
>>
>> I did look it up and a standard bar of bullion weighs in at almost
>12.5
>> Kg., there is even a post in next week's Radio Times on the same
>> subject.
>
>Gold is bloody heavy, it's nearly twice the density of lead. When it
>comes to driving off with a lorry load of gold from a bank vault the
>limiting factor is the axle weight not the size of the lorry, you'd
>only be able to fill about 10% of a typical artic. with gold bars
>before it was overloaded.

Gold is the heaviest low radiation element so perhaps the core of the
earth is rich in gold.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Mar 2, 2023, 11:05:43 AM3/2/23
On Thu, 02 Mar 2023 13:20:42 +0100, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

>More or Less said that they were 500g ingots with no sign of how the furnace was
>powered in the TV version

It looked like a very high powered induction heater. I don't think
they are found in many domestic sheds. Having said that there is a
three phase supply available in most parts of the UK for industry. I
used to have a very tedious job maintaining enormous motor
alternators. Some of them could more than melt gold.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Mar 3, 2023, 9:59:18 AM3/3/23
On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 13:32:00 +0100, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:
>We have three phase in our house. Many houses have three phase. AFAIR from the
>Mat Brink bullion robbery trial, the furnace was visible from next door and
>wasn't in a garden shed.

My shed is clearly visible from most of the houses around here, even
when I'm not smelting!