Andrew Neil resigns as chairman and lead presenter of GB News

12 views
Skip to first unread message

NY

unread,
Sep 13, 2021, 2:57:17 PM9/13/21
to

Richard Evans

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 5:38:58 AM9/15/21
to
On 13/09/2021 19:56, NY wrote:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58464664
>
> Now there's a surprise! (Not)

The surprise it that he took that job in the first place.
Unless they mislead him.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

tim...

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 2:01:18 PM9/15/21
to


"Richard Evans" <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote in message
news:shsev5$1r47$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
> On 13/09/2021 19:56, NY wrote:
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58464664
>>
>> Now there's a surprise! (Not)
>
> The surprise it that he took that job in the first place.
> Unless they mislead him.

I think he misled himself into thinking he was going to be more import to
the channel than he was

Personally speaking, it's sad to see him lost from TV because of this fiasco

I imagine he's too proud to go back, cap in hand, to the BBC.









NY

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 2:38:37 PM9/15/21
to
"tim..." <timsn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:shtcdc$oa0$1...@dont-email.me...
>
>
> "Richard Evans" <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote in message
> news:shsev5$1r47$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
>> On 13/09/2021 19:56, NY wrote:
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58464664
>>>
>>> Now there's a surprise! (Not)
>>
>> The surprise it that he took that job in the first place.
>> Unless they mislead him.
>
> I think he misled himself into thinking he was going to be more important
> to the channel than he was
>
> Personally speaking, it's sad to see him lost from TV because of this
> fiasco
>
> I imagine he's too proud to go back, cap in hand, to the BBC.

I wonder what the viewer figures for GB News are now it's had a few weeks to
get over the newness and the teething troubles. It suffered badly from
technical problems (very poor sound-vision sync at the beginning of each new
programme which gradually righted itself, only to go back to square one when
the next programme began) and some very amateurish, ill-at-ease presenters.
Will it make enough money from advertising, given that some companies have
boycotted it?

I think its biggest problem is one of image: a channel called "[something]
News" tends to imply that it will have a team of reporters who contribute to
hourly news bulletins. But it's all discussions and very little hard news.

Challenging the supposed "woke", PC, ethnically-diverse bias that other
channels allegedly have, and allowing the opposite point of view to be put
is a laudable and brave thing to do. Everyone is entitled to hold a point of
view and to hear it discussed. Ideally you want a single channel which is
able to put a wide range of points of view, as opposed to a set of channels
which each has its own bias but which collectively cover all ranges of PoV.

The initial speeches on the opening night promised so much more than they
ended up delivering. Ho hum.

I see that they still retain Dan Wootton and his "sharp take" (WTF is one of
those?) on the day's major news stories. There's something about him that
makes my skin go creepy - he's guilty of the cardinal sin of Trying Too
Hard.

I'll have to watch the breakfast show again. The first couple of days, it
was cringe-making in its amateurishness - like something cobbled together by
media studies students at university, with semi-pro equipment but no
experience of how to use it.

Andy Burns

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 4:11:40 PM9/15/21
to
tim... wrote:

> Personally speaking, it's sad to see him lost from TV because of this
> fiasco

He was interviewed as a 'contributor' today regarding the reshuffle.

tim...

unread,
Sep 16, 2021, 4:59:16 AM9/16/21
to


"Andy Burns" <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
news:iqf2bp...@mid.individual.net...
but unless he has a guaranteed slot

I wont be tuning in, just on the off chance



Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages