Bias is wonderful - when it goes wrong

Jim S

Feb 28, 2021, 9:39:03 AM2/28/21
Isn't it heartwarming to hear commentators who start expect one side to
win, modifying their bias when it doesn't work out how they expected.

The there's the nationalist commentator who blames the ref/rules when his
country doesn't win.

Both comments apply to football (soccer to you Mercans) and Rugby (either
code) I'm not even going to try to explain that last comment to the
Mercans.

Jim S

Mike Gooding

Feb 28, 2021, 11:39:47 AM2/28/21
Welsh commentators are pretty awful, you're right.

Mike Swift

Feb 28, 2021, 8:20:16 PM2/28/21
In article <udkdkaqxxsjk.1b...@40tude.net>, Jim S
<j...@jimXscott.co.uk> writes
>The there's the nationalist commentator who blames the ref/rules when his
>country doesn't win.

If it's the Wales England match you're posting about England were crap
and despite the two awful referee cockups would still have lost.

The ref should never officiate at a match again, allowing a team to have
a chat then blowing to restart while they are still in the huddle is
unprofessional and unforgivable, still what do you expect from the
French.

The alleged Knock On was debatable, I'm not sure of the rules but I
always thought the ball had to hit the ground for it to be a knock on,
which I don't think it did, I do seem to think years ago that didn't
apply and merely fumbling forward was a penalty.

Those more informed could correct me.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

tim...

Mar 1, 2021, 3:26:11 AM3/1/21

"Mike Swift" <mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <udkdkaqxxsjk.1b...@40tude.net>, Jim S
> <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> writes
>>The there's the nationalist commentator who blames the ref/rules when his
>>country doesn't win.
>
> If it's the Wales England match you're posting about England were crap and
> despite the two awful referee cockups would still have lost.
>
> The ref should never officiate at a match again, allowing a team to have a
> chat then blowing to restart while they are still in the huddle is
> unprofessional and unforgivable, still what do you expect from the French.
>
> The alleged Knock On was debatable, I'm not sure of the rules but I always
> thought the ball had to hit the ground for it to be a knock on,

nope

Jim S

Mar 1, 2021, 5:51:34 AM3/1/21
In article <lpqZ$LA5EE...@ntlworld.com>, mike....@yeton.co.uk
says...

> In article <udkdkaqxxsjk.1b...@40tude.net>, Jim S
> <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> writes
> >The there's the nationalist commentator who blames the ref/rules when his
> >country doesn't win.
>
> If it's the Wales England match you're posting about England were crap
> and despite the two awful referee cockups would still have lost.
>
> The ref should never officiate at a match again, allowing a team to have
> a chat then blowing to restart while they are still in the huddle is
> unprofessional and unforgivable, still what do you expect from the
> French.
>
> The alleged Knock On was debatable, I'm not sure of the rules but I
> always thought the ball had to hit the ground for it to be a knock on,
> which I don't think it did, I do seem to think years ago that didn't
> apply and merely fumbling forward was a penalty.
>
> Those more informed could correct me.
>
> Mike

It was not only that Mike.
If say Man C are playing Sheffield then the commentator 'knows' who is
going to win and his commentary follows his expectations. The Sheffield
score and he might as well throw away his pre-match notes. If Sheffield
win then the excuses follow.

--
Jim S