remember this Benny Hill sketch?

hazchem

Nov 5, 2009, 11:08:45 AM11/5/09
Just been on YouTube hoping to find one Benny Hill sketch in
particular. There were some there but have now been deleted by
YouTube.

Do you remember the sketch with Paula Wilcox where she calls round to
his home and he has to try and hide his sex doll? He hides it under
the cushions on his sofa but when they sit on them it makes a farting
noise. He keeps trying to distract her by saying things like "This
table keeps making funny noises. I'll have to fix it".

I think that it was one of the funniest things that I have seen on TV
but apparently no-one can see it ever again. It is not available.
Apparently Paula Wilcox decided she didn't want it to be seen, and so
now nobody can see it.

I think this is a great pity. Benny helped her in her career and she
decides she wants no association with his work. Does anyone know if
this sketch is available anywhere?

hazchem

Hugh Jardon

Nov 5, 2009, 11:27:00 AM11/5/09

Paula Wilcox is the one without the talent and denies the world the
ability to see Benny Hill at his best ... the UK media is twisted as
fuck!

Message has been deleted

Mike Plowman

Nov 5, 2009, 12:59:23 PM11/5/09
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:10:56 +0100, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

>I can't recall the last time I saw Paula Wilcox on TV.
>
>There was a very similar sketch with sex dolls in OFAH.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCV6_FKPuKA

She was in Emmerdale a couple of years ago as the wife of the balding
ginger maintenance engineer from Dinnerladies.

Message has been deleted

Ian F.

Nov 5, 2009, 5:47:50 PM11/5/09
"hazchem" <thewhit...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> Do you remember the sketch with Paula Wilcox where she calls round to
> his home and he has to try and hide his sex doll?

I can't imagine there was anything like a 'sex doll' in those days, or
that - even if there was - one would ever be featured in a Benny Hill show.

Nice try, though.

Ian

Message has been deleted

John Dean

Nov 5, 2009, 7:59:04 PM11/5/09

And just before that in the sitcom "The Smoking Room"
--
John Dean
Oxford

Andy Pandy

Nov 6, 2009, 5:49:05 AM11/6/09

"Ian F." <wowfab...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Are you serious?? Of course there were (er... so I'm told).

And it's *exactly* the sort of thing which BH would have featured!

--
Andy

Jeff Lawrence

Nov 6, 2009, 5:56:12 AM11/6/09
On 6 nov, 11:49, "Andy Pandy" <spam8ti...@wonderful.spam.invalid>
wrote:
> "Ian F." <wowfabgro...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > "hazchem" <thewhitehor...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> >> Do you remember the sketch with Paula Wilcox where she calls round to
> >> his home and he has to try and hide his sex doll?
>
> > I can't imagine there was anything like a 'sex doll' in those days, or
> > that - even if there was - one would ever be featured in a Benny Hill
> > show.
>
> Are you serious?? Of course there were (er... so I'm told).
>
> And it's *exactly* the sort of thing which BH would have featured!

It certainly seems to be the case. It's also mentioned in this
article.
http://www.thesleaze.co.uk/bennyhill.html
Cheers
Jeff

Ian F.

Nov 6, 2009, 6:12:25 AM11/6/09
"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message

> There definitely was in OFAH I posted the youtube link to it.

I was talking about the Benny Hill show, not OFAH.

Ian

Ian F.

Nov 6, 2009, 6:13:18 AM11/6/09
"Jeff Lawrence" <jeff.l...@orange.nl> wrote in message

> It certainly seems to be the case. It's also mentioned in this
> article.
> http://www.thesleaze.co.uk/bennyhill.html

LOL!

Ian

Message has been deleted

Halmyre

Nov 6, 2009, 6:25:32 AM11/6/09
On 5 Nov, 22:47, "Ian F." <wowfabgro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> "hazchem" <thewhitehor...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > Do you remember the sketch with Paula Wilcox where she calls round to
> > his home and he has to try and hide his sex doll?
>
> I can't imagine there was anything like a 'sex doll' in those days, or

No, we 'ad to make do wi' t'inner tube from an old lorry tyre.

--
Halmyre

Ian F.

Nov 6, 2009, 6:48:56 AM11/6/09

> You said there weren't sketches featuring sex dolls in those days. There
> were.

I was thinking of Benny's shows in the 70s. I think the doll episode of OFAH
was later than that.

Ian

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Halmyre

Nov 6, 2009, 8:05:39 AM11/6/09
In article <hd12vl$3o$1...@south.jnrs.ja.net>, A.C...@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk
says...
> Thus spake Ian F. (wowfab...@googlemail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

> >> You said there weren't sketches featuring sex dolls in those days. There
> >> were.
>
> > I was thinking of Benny's shows in the 70s. I think the doll episode of OFAH
> > was later than that.
>
> And don't forget there was a scene briefly featuring a sex doll in one of the
> episodes of Fawlty Towers (also 1970s)...

Oh yes. The blood-freezing embarrassment of watching with your parents...

--
Halmyre

This is the most powerful sigfile in the world and will probably blow your
head clean off.

Ian F.

Nov 6, 2009, 10:37:31 AM11/6/09
"Halmyre" <no....@this.address> wrote in message

>> And don't forget there was a scene briefly featuring a sex doll in one of
>> the
>> episodes of Fawlty Towers (also 1970s)...
>>

> Oh yes. The blood-freezing embarrassment of watching with your parents...

I don't recall that at all.

<googles> Ah yes, http://www.fawltysite.net/the-kipper-and-the-corpse.htm

Ian

Message has been deleted

Jerry Brown

Nov 7, 2009, 9:14:39 AM11/7/09
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 23:27:19 +0100, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

>From the early 1970s. We win LOL

1979 actually.

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk>

Ian F.

Nov 7, 2009, 10:54:41 AM11/7/09
"Jerry Brown" <je...@jwbrown.co.uk.RemoveThisBitToReply> wrote in message

> 1979 actually.

I decided not to pick him up on that - he thought there was an argument to
'win', so I let him do so.

Ian

Message has been deleted

Ian F.

Nov 7, 2009, 1:01:38 PM11/7/09

> Very generous, you are a real gentleman, Ian.

I know I am - it says so on my office door!

> I'll let you have exclusive rights to DVDfever as a reward.

Ah. Er. OK, thanks. Very, er, grateful. ;-)

Ian

Message has been deleted

hazchem

Nov 11, 2009, 9:04:10 AM11/11/09
On 6 Nov, 22:27, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:37:31 -0000, "Ian F." <wowfabgro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >"Halmyre" <no.s...@this.address> wrote in message

> >> Oh yes. The blood-freezing embarrassment of watching with your parents...
>
> >I don't recall that at all.
>
> ><googles> Ah yes,http://www.fawltysite.net/the-kipper-and-the-corpse.htm

> From the early 1970s. We win LOL
> --
>
> Martin

I'm sure that I remember that the 2 Ronnies did a sketch where they
mentioned a sex doll. I have distinct memories of Ronnie Corbett
playing a geeky man with a boring voice who was talking about filling
his with warm cocoa. Or maybe I dreamed it sometime.

Paula Wilcox is getting quite old now. Do you think that when she dies
we will be able to see the Benny Hill sketch that she was in? What do
you think was her motivation in deciding that the sketch could not be
shown? I wonder if she weighed up all the advantages and disadvantages
of the decision. On the one hand now that you're famous you don't want
your name associated with a comedian from a previous generation who
some people regard as politically incorrect. On the othe hand you get
to look like a prissy control freak and people wish that you were dead.

Basil Jet

Nov 11, 2009, 9:07:25 AM11/11/09
hazchem wrote:

> Paula Wilcox is getting quite old now. Do you think that when she dies
> we will be able to see the Benny Hill sketch that she was in? What do
> you think was her motivation in deciding that the sketch could not be
> shown? I wonder if she weighed up all the advantages and disadvantages
> of the decision. On the one hand now that you're famous you don't want
> your name associated with a comedian from a previous generation who
> some people regard as politically incorrect. On the othe hand you get
> to look like a prissy control freak and people wish that you were
> dead.

I don't see how it can be her decision. Did the TV company forget to make
her sign a model release form?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

hazchem

Nov 11, 2009, 10:29:05 AM11/11/09
On 11 Nov, 14:07, "Basil Jet" <jo...@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> hazchem wrote:
>
> >Paula Wilcoxis getting quite old now. Do you think that when she dies

> > we will be able to see the Benny Hill sketch that she was in? What do
> > you think was her motivation in deciding that the sketch could not be
> > shown? I wonder if she weighed up all the advantages and disadvantages
> > of the decision. On the one hand now that you're famous you don't want
> > your name associated with a comedian from a previous generation who
> > some people regard as politically incorrect. On the othe hand you get
> > to look like a prissy control freak and people wish that you were
> > dead.
>
> I don't see how it can be her decision. Did the TV company forget to make
> her sign a model release form?

On wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Benny_Hill_Show) it
says this:-

"In the 1980s, as the climate of political correctness continued to
grow, two of these former guests — Eddington and Wilcox — refused to
allow the respective editions in which they appeared to ever be shown
on British television again."

It does sound strange that this can happen. I don't understand the
principle. If an actor who played one of the munchkins decided that he
didn't want to be shown would that mean that nobody would be allowed
to see The Wizard of Oz?

Basil Jet

Nov 11, 2009, 12:09:00 PM11/11/09
hazchem wrote:

> On wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Benny_Hill_Show) it
> says this:-
>
> "In the 1980s, as the climate of political correctness continued to
> grow, two of these former guests � Eddington and Wilcox � refused to
> allow the respective editions in which they appeared to ever be shown
> on British television again."
>
> It does sound strange that this can happen. I don't understand the
> principle. If an actor who played one of the munchkins decided that he
> didn't want to be shown would that mean that nobody would be allowed
> to see The Wizard of Oz?

I'm not happy for the film of The Earth shot by the Apollo mission to be
shown again.

hazchem

Nov 14, 2009, 9:16:54 AM11/14/09
On 11 Nov, 17:09, "Basil Jet" <jo...@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

The Earth? It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live
there.

hazchem

Apr 28, 2023, 11:05:06 AM4/28/23
I have managed to track down this particular Benny Hill sketch. There is a version dubbed into French and another version dubbed into Spanish where you can still hear some of the original dialogue. I'm still looking for an English language version or a transcript. Below I have copied-and-pasted something from here https://benny-hill.fandom.com/wiki/Cyril_Goody

"Cyril Goody is a lonesome character who lives alone in his home learning Spanish from his Conchetta Paloma records with his life-size blow-up doll as his only companion. When his neighbor, Carol Potts, arrives distraught after losing her boyfriend, Fred, to her rival, Mabel Tessler, she comes over looking for solace over the break-up. Cyril attempts to off-handedly earn her interest with a bottle of champagne, telling her "it's like sherry," but she never seems to notice his nervous romantic inclinations. Unfortunately, as Cyril's doll springs a leak, it starts making noises that offend her, Miss Potts instead thinks they are sounds of derision toward her. She even calls Cyril "Cecil" at one point as she keeps getting inebriated under the effects of his wine, and when he tries to kiss her, she tries to throw him out of his house, forgetting just where she actually is. Meanwhile, the noises force Cyril to reveal his doll hidden under his sofa, and Miss Potts runs out, offended and disgusted, leaving Cyril to his inflatable girlfriend."