sports

elliot davies

Jul 9, 2021, 3:26:54 PM7/9/21
who likes Wimbledon

Mike Swift

Jul 9, 2021, 8:11:15 PM7/9/21
In article <67c13375-cc2f-4dd8...@googlegroups.com>,
elliot davies <elliotd...@gmail.com> writes
>who likes Wimbledon

Not me for a start, a so called equal opportunities sport where the
women get paid the same as men but only have 3 sets while the men have
5.

Then there's football, a corrupt business from top to bottom.

And golf which someone said was a waste of a good walk.

I must admit to liking anything with an engine, petrol, diesel or
electric, and 4 wheels, except F1 which has become boring.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Jeff Layman

Jul 10, 2021, 3:57:13 AM7/10/21
On 09/07/2021 20:26, elliot davies wrote:
> who likes Wimbledon

It's going to be interesting in a decade or two when some male players
will be approaching - or even exceeding - 7 feet in height. There are
already some players over 6ft 6in (2m), and many of 6ft 3in or more are
serving regularly at 130mph+. When they serve at 150mph+ the ball will
become unreturnable, and most games will go with service. Rallies will
become a thing of the past, and games will be short and boring.

This can be fixed quite easily, but I wonder when the tennis authorities
will grasp this nettle and deal with it.

--

Jeff

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jul 10, 2021, 5:57:18 AM7/10/21
On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 12:26:53 -0700 (PDT), elliot davies
<elliotd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>who likes Wimbledon

I find it boring when matches go on for more than 5 minutes.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
JustNN Just a neural network http://www.justnn.com

Richard Evans

Jul 10, 2021, 6:16:00 AM7/10/21
On 09/07/2021 20:26, elliot davies wrote:
> who likes Wimbledon

I would be indifferent,
But when it's on BBC1, BBC2 and Red Button, for most of the day.
When my PVR keep recording tennis instead of other programs.

Grrrr.....

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jul 10, 2021, 9:21:28 AM7/10/21
On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:15:54 +0100, Richard Evans
<R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote:

>On 09/07/2021 20:26, elliot davies wrote:
>> who likes Wimbledon
>>
>I would be indifferent,
>But when it's on BBC1, BBC2 and Red Button, for most of the day.
>When my PVR keep recording tennis instead of other programs.
>
>Grrrr.....

I don't have that happen with my Panasonic recorder. It records the
programs I want whatever time they come on. I don't want it to record
tennis so it doesn't.

--
http://www.npsnn.com

NY

Jul 10, 2021, 1:03:34 PM7/10/21
"Stephen Wolstenholme" <st...@easynn.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 12:26:53 -0700 (PDT), elliot davies
> <elliotd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>who likes Wimbledon
>
> I find it boring when matches go on for more than 5 minutes.

I find the "mechanics" of the scoring in tennis a big turn-off. Dividing
into games, sets and matches gets tedious. It should formulated as a set
(pun not intended) number of rallies, accumulating points, with a defined
end as the shorter of: when m rallies have occurred, first player to n
points or time limit.

The same applies to a lot of sports: they are too prone to going on for
longer than scheduled and outstaying their welcome when shown on TV, if they
cause scheduled programmes to be postponed or delayed.

JNugent

Jul 10, 2021, 5:24:50 PM7/10/21
Make the courts longer and wider, with the net higher?

Col

Jul 11, 2021, 4:44:10 AM7/11/21
Did they not do something some years ago to address this, reducing the
pressure inside the balls to make them less easy to hit at the speed of
a bullet?
As a result of players like Pete Sampras (Pistol Pete) who could quite
easily comprise a service game of 4 consecutive aces. Technically
impressive but hardly endearing to entertaining tennis.

--
Col

Jeff Layman

Jul 11, 2021, 6:31:46 AM7/11/21
No. That would affect all play. The simple solution is to make the
service box smaller by moving the service line nearer to the net. This
would still allow accurate placement of the serve, but make too fast
services overshoot the service line and lead to a fault.

Rod Laver (to my mind still the greatest ever tennis player) was,
according to Wikipedia 173 cm in height. Now players are much taller
(such as John Isner at 208 cm). Add their proportionally increased arm
length, probably a slightly longer racket, and perhaps a higher service
leap, and I would guess that, at contact, the racket hits the ball at
service perhaps as much as 60 cm higher than in Laver's day (maybe
around 4 m from ground level).

It doesn't take much to calculate how much advantage this provides as to
where the ball lands in the service box. The distance between the
service line and server baseline is about 18 m, with 2/3 in the server's
court, and 1/3 the service box. With a little geometry, the maximum
distance diagonally for a service is just under 20 m at ground level.
Add the service height, and the maximum is just over 20 m. If the ball
travelled completely straight, and didn't drop at all under gravity, and
with the net being only 1 m high on average, it would land well within
the service line if struck 4 m high.

With a serve at 240 kph, the ball travels at 67 m/sec, so it would take
about 20/67 seconds from being struck to landing in the service box.
That's about 300 msec. If we assume that elite sportsmen have a reaction
time better than average - let's say 200 - 250 ms, that still leaves
only 50 - 100 ms to judge where the ball is going to land, move the
racket to it, and attempt a return.

Something's got to change, or every game will go to love, and perhaps
only be decided by a poor serve during a tiebreak.

--

Jeff

Richard Evans

Jul 11, 2021, 1:25:08 PM7/11/21
It presumably varies a lot between different models.

My Humax doesn't seem to cope at all well with changes in schedules.
So presumably, when a match overruns, requiring changes of
scheduling, at short notice, it ends up recording from the
old schedule :|.

Gordon Freeman

Jul 11, 2021, 7:31:47 PM7/11/21
Col <reddw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 10/07/2021 08:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 09/07/2021 20:26, elliot davies wrote:
>>> who likes Wimbledon
>>
>> It's going to be interesting in a decade or two when some male players
>> will be approaching - or even exceeding - 7 feet in height. There are
>> already some players over 6ft 6in (2m), and many of 6ft 3in or more are
>> serving regularly at 130mph+. When they serve at 150mph+ the ball will
>> become unreturnable, and most games will go with service. Rallies will
>> become a thing of the past, and games will be short and boring.
>>

> Did they not do something some years ago to address this, reducing the
> pressure inside the balls to make them less easy to hit at the speed of
> a bullet?
> As a result of players like Pete Sampras (Pistol Pete) who could quite
> easily comprise a service game of 4 consecutive aces. Technically
> impressive but hardly endearing to entertaining tennis.

Yes they did, though the main culprit as I recall was Ivanisevic (sp?) who
regularly sped through his service games with 4 aces or unreturnable shots.

The big disadvantage of reducing ball pressure and similar measures is that
matches take longer and hog more of the BBC schedules. (Perhaps when it
looks like a game might overrun the time slot they should dish out higher
pressure balls to the players?)

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jul 12, 2021, 7:41:42 AM7/12/21
On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:25:01 +0100, Richard Evans
<R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote:

>On 10/07/2021 14:21, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:15:54 +0100, Richard Evans
>> <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote:

>>> I would be indifferent,
>>> But when it's on BBC1, BBC2 and Red Button, for most of the day.
>>> When my PVR keep recording tennis instead of other programs.
>>>
>>> Grrrr.....
>>
>> I don't have that happen with my Panasonic recorder. It records the
>> programs I want whatever time they come on. I don't want it to record
>> tennis so it doesn't.
>>
>It presumably varies a lot between different models.

There is only one tuner in the one I have. Later models have two
tuners so two channels can be recorded while watching a third. There
is one model that says 16 programs but I can't believe that means
concurrent.

They can record to HDD or DVD but I only use HDD.

>My Humax doesn't seem to cope at all well with changes in schedules.
>So presumably, when a match overruns, requiring changes of
>scheduling, at short notice, it ends up recording from the
>old schedule :|.

I've never had a Humax.

--
http://www.npsnn.com

tim...

Jul 13, 2021, 4:00:57 AM7/13/21

"Richard Evans" <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote in message
> On 10/07/2021 14:21, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 11:15:54 +0100, Richard Evans
>> <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote:

>>> I would be indifferent,
>>> But when it's on BBC1, BBC2 and Red Button, for most of the day.
>>> When my PVR keep recording tennis instead of other programs.
>>>
>>> Grrrr.....
>>
>> I don't have that happen with my Panasonic recorder. It records the
>> programs I want whatever time they come on. I don't want it to record
>> tennis so it doesn't.
>>
> It presumably varies a lot between different models.
>
> My Humax doesn't seem to cope at all well with changes in schedules.

Mine neither (and it's one of the newer models)

My Manhattan copes well with real-time schedule changes, but even that
didn't manage when that program about out Olympic Gold Medals was switched
from BBC1 to 2 at the last minute

Richard Evans

Jul 14, 2021, 11:45:27 AM7/14/21
On 12/07/2021 12:41, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> There is only one tuner in the one I have. Later models have two
> tuners so two channels can be recorded while watching a third.

Mine has 3 tuners, and can potentially record 3 while watching a forth.
That was basically why I got it, as with my previous one, I frequently
found 2 tuners was not quite enough.

Still not very good at coping with schedule changes :|.

There
> is one model that says 16 programs but I can't believe that means
> concurrent.

Well, if it has plenty of processing power, and the channels are
not on to many different multiplexes. I expect it's expensive.

> They can record to HDD or DVD but I only use HDD.
>
>> My Humax doesn't seem to cope at all well with changes in schedules.
>> So presumably, when a match overruns, requiring changes of
>> scheduling, at short notice, it ends up recording from the
>> old schedule :|.
>
> I've never had a Humax.

My 1st was a Panasonic, and it was terrible.
Perhaps it was just that particular model.

Since then I've had a Humax, a Sagem, and now on my 2nd Humax.
They have all worked pretty well.

Richard.

Richard Evans

Jul 14, 2021, 11:56:34 AM7/14/21
On 13/07/2021 09:00, tim... wrote:

> My Manhattan copes well with real-time schedule changes, but even that
> didn't manage when that program about out Olympic Gold Medals was
> switched from BBC1 to 2 at the last minute

Yep, mine doesn't cope with that at all.

I have a MythTV system, which ought to provide a backup (in theory).
The problem is that every now and then, it seems to fail
to receive anything, and once it does that, only a restart seems to
get it recording again. So when my PVR fails to record, I often
check MythTV, to discover it stopped recording a few days ago Grrr...

So then there's IPlayer, and I find it a hassle to to figure out
which episode is which on IPlayer. Although with my Humax, the EPG
gets previous programs from the net, and then I can select a program
directly from that, which is a little easier.

NY

Jul 14, 2021, 12:47:18 PM7/14/21

> I have a MythTV system, which ought to provide a backup (in theory).
> The problem is that every now and then, it seems to fail
> to receive anything, and once it does that, only a restart seems to
> get it recording again. So when my PVR fails to record, I often
> check MythTV, to discover it stopped recording a few days ago Grrr...

I use TVHeadend on a Raspberry Pi for all my recordings, and this seems to
be fairly bullet-proof and reliable - most of the time. It has the ability
to use "Accurate Recording" EITp/f signals from the broadcaster to cope with
late-running programmes, but I've never made it work - it either fails to
start at all or else records for the exact times that are published. But I
always add 5 ins before and 10 mins after to any recording and don't use
"Accurate Recording". Since I added a satellite decoder to the two
terrestrial ones, it's got into the habit of occasionally recording lots of
glitches on any tuner (whether sat or terr), which is cured by rebooting, so
I reboot it every night as a precaution when I remember and when there's
nothing recording at the time.

It's useful being able to set/change scheduled recordings from any PC on the
network (via browser) and even to watch TV live on any PC (using VLC
player). Things have advanced a bit since the days of VHS and a maximum
recording time (without changing the tape) of 15 hours (E300 tape on 1/3 EP
speed). I still find it a bit amazing that a standard 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" hard
disc can store 4 TB (*tera* bytes) of data which is about 2500 hours or 3
1/2 months (assuming you watch 24/7!).

tim...

Jul 15, 2021, 3:54:52 AM7/15/21

"Richard Evans" <R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> wrote in message
> On 13/07/2021 09:00, tim... wrote:
>

>> My Manhattan copes well with real-time schedule changes, but even that
>> didn't manage when that program about out Olympic Gold Medals was
>> switched from BBC1 to 2 at the last minute
>
> Yep, mine doesn't cope with that at all.

FTAOD, I don't know if the Manhattan didn't cope with it because it wasn't
changed sufficiently early, or whether it doesn't cope with a channel change
at all.

It does manage time changes on the same channel pretty much 100% correctly,
even when the EPG change is retrospective

Richard Evans

Jul 15, 2021, 10:33:26 AM7/15/21
On 14/07/2021 17:46, NY wrote:

> I use TVHeadend on a Raspberry Pi for all my recordings, and this seems
> to be fairly bullet-proof and reliable - most of the time.

I tried a couple of PIs some time ago, (not for TV),
but was put off by needing to connect to HDMI (I don't
actually have TVs with HDMI), and because they seemed to
have a strong tendency to Destroy SD cards. Admittedly
part of the SD problem was probably from having to unplug
the power without shutting then down. I'd tried to get them
to work headless, but inevitably, I had to just unplug a few
times, and it seemed to take very very little to cause this
issue. I also thought, what about power cuts. After Googling
this problem, it seemed cards keep failing after a while
anyway. I decided I just didn't want the hassle,
so I gave up on PIs.

Jeff Layman

Aug 8, 2021, 4:51:12 AM8/8/21
On 08/08/2021 09:01, Martin wrote:

>> I've never had a Humax.
>
> I'vehad two Humax Freesat PVRs they aren't very reliable.

The 9200T wasn't bad. After that, though, things went downhill.

--

Jeff

Max Demian

Aug 8, 2021, 7:41:22 AM8/8/21
The 9200T was good until it was overtaken by advances in the way
Freeview was transmitted. the HDR-FOX T2 is still first rate. About the
only thing it doesn't do is IPTV and streaming (especially as it doesn't
have Wi-Fi).

--
Max Demian

tim...

Aug 12, 2021, 3:12:40 AM8/12/21

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:41:41 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
> <st...@easynn.com>
> I'vehad two Humax Freesat PVRs they aren't very reliable.

ITYF that's common with all makes

trawl the internet for reviews of PVRs and you will find negative comments
about all of them

I personally have had 4 different brands of PVR and none of them have been
reliable

tim...

Aug 12, 2021, 6:30:20 AM8/12/21

> The first Humax I bought, one designed for Dutch cable is still going
> strong
> after about 10 years.

My 9150 lasted 13 years, but that doesn't mean it was reliable. It would
routinely miss recordings. (In a semi predictable way)

> The two I have for Freesat have heating problems.

My Hummy Freesat box seems to be OK.

>The fan on
> the first one died and cooked the electronics. Our current one has
> software
> problems. Recordings get deleted or just disappear and there are frequent
> recording failures,

Yup, that's the sort of problem that commonplace.

My new Manhattan does that. (In an entirely random way)

> With a disk holding a terabyte of recordings a search
> function is needed to locate recordings.

It's not that difficult surely. There can't be that many

tim

tim...

Aug 14, 2021, 3:04:41 AM8/14/21

> According to Humax 1TB - 500 hours SD, 250 hours HD

1) do you really store that many?

2) aren't they collected into one "folder" per series (seems to be the norm
now)

3) It still isn't difficult searching 250 programs stored in alpha order
(again, a feature which is normal)

tim...

Aug 14, 2021, 9:50:49 AM8/14/21

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:04:37 +0100, "tim..." <timsn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message

>>> According to Humax 1TB - 500 hours SD, 250 hours HD
>>
>>1) do you really store that many?
>
> Yes I have an almost full disk
>>
>>2) aren't they collected into one "folder" per series (seems to be the
>>norm
>>now)
>
> Most are or films etc, but series

???

>>3) It still isn't difficult searching 250 programs stored in alpha order
>>(again, a feature which is normal)
>
> It is not difficult it is time consuming. It is not difficult to write
> software
> to search a list. They already have a search for EPG contents.

but it's damned fiddly for the user to have to enter in an alpha search
string using the keys on a remote

So perhaps they thought that users wouldn't use it