Re: Grace

NY

Apr 26, 2022, 6:38:16 AM4/26/22
"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
news:tvgf6h961btg4bm0d...@4ax.com...
> On Sunday first of a new series was labelled series 1 Episode 2
>
> IMDB has https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11639300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Apparently two episodes (1.1 and 1.2) were filmed in a block, but only the
first episode was shown last year. For some reason known only to ITV, they
didn't show the second episode the following week - or any time until now.
Now they have shown 1.2 and are following it on consecutive Sundays with
2.1, 2.2 etc. But ITV on their own site, and the various listings sites,
definitely identify last Sunday's episode as 1.2 and not 2.1 (with all
episodes of Series 2 being incremented 2.2, 2.3 etc).

I've not watched last Sunday's episode yet, so don't give any spoilers
beyond the general story which I know from being an avid reader of Peter
James's Grace novels. I see that next week's episode introduces Cleo Morey
who plays a gradually larger part in subsequent books... The actress looks
as lovely as I imagined the character of Cleo. I understand that a lot of
the crass, sexist comments of Norman Potting have been toned down. Hopefully
we will be spared some of the more extreme descriptions of kidnap victims'
ordeals in some of the novels. I read an article by Russell Lewis who
adapted the novels and he said that one of the problems he had was that the
novels sometimes feature scenes from the baddie's point of view, maybe even
identifying him/her, and these had to be re-written for TV in a way that
didn't identify him until near the end.

[spoiler space]

I wonder whether they will find a suitably evil child actor to play Bruno,
once he moves to live with Roy and Cleo. And I do hope they find an actor
who is as odious as possible to play ACC Cassian Pewe. Peter's latest novel
Left You Dead nicely rounds off both of these long-running stories: Bruno
was becoming a bore and I was itching for Pewe to get what he deserved.

Jim S

Apr 26, 2022, 9:30:03 AM4/26/22
On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:37:51 +0100, NY wrote:

> "Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sunday first of a new series was labelled series 1 Episode 2
>>
>> IMDB has https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11639300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
>
> Apparently two episodes (1.1 and 1.2) were filmed in a block, but only the
> first episode was shown last year. For some reason known only to ITV, they
> didn't show the second episode the following week - or any time until now.
> Now they have shown 1.2 and are following it on consecutive Sundays with
> 2.1, 2.2 etc. But ITV on their own site, and the various listings sites,
> definitely identify last Sunday's episode as 1.2 and not 2.1 (with all
> episodes of Series 2 being incremented 2.2, 2.3 etc).
>
> I've not watched last Sunday's episode yet, so don't give any spoilers
> beyond the general story which I know from being an avid reader of Peter
> James's Grace novels. I see that next week's episode introduces Cleo Morey
> who plays a gradually larger part in subsequent books... The actress looks
> as lovely as I imagined the character of Cleo. I understand that a lot of
> the crass, sexist comments of Norman Potting have been toned down. Hopefully
> we will be spared some of the more extreme descriptions of kidnap victims'
> ordeals in some of the novels. I read an article by Russell Lewis who
> adapted the novels and he said that one of the problems he had was that the
> novels sometimes feature scenes from the baddie's point of view, maybe even
> identifying him/her, and these had to be re-written for TV in a way that
> didn't identify him until near the end.

<snip>

Watched a bit and went over to the snooker. Not sure I will go back for the
rest.
--
Jim S

Jeff Layman

Apr 26, 2022, 9:42:18 AM4/26/22
On 26/04/2022 14:30, Jim S wrote:

> Watched a bit and went over to the snooker. Not sure I will go back for the
> rest.

+1

Gave it 20 minutes and thought it was slow and not believable. I won't
be returning to it.

--

Jeff

JNugent

Apr 26, 2022, 9:55:21 AM4/26/22
On 26/04/2022 11:07 am, Martin wrote:

> On Sunday first of a new series was labelled series 1 Episode 2
>
> IMDB has https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11639300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The last one (the one about the stag night underground coffin prank,
repeated on ITV2, 3 or 4 last week)) was Series 1, Episode 1.

Next week's edition is Season 2, Episode 1!

JNugent

Apr 26, 2022, 9:57:15 AM4/26/22
They make a lot out of the Sussex setting(s) though.

No opportunity to name-check a county place name is missed.

JNugent

Apr 28, 2022, 10:47:07 AM4/28/22
On 27/04/2022 09:44 am, Martin wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> +1
>
>>> Gave it 20 minutes and thought it was slow and not believable. I won't
>>> be returning to it.
>
>> They make a lot out of the Sussex setting(s) though.
>> No opportunity to name-check a county place name is missed.
>
> It's Brighton. Didn't they say that?

It's that and a lot of other places.