Do We Still Need the Pips?

Andy Burns

Feb 12, 2024, 1:07:24 PMFeb 12

Chris J Dixon

Feb 12, 2024, 1:39:50 PMFeb 12
Andy Burns wrote:

With digital delays, the answer has to be negative.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 12, 2024, 2:53:58 PMFeb 12
In message <cepksitb2fd2viit2...@4ax.com> at Mon, 12 Feb
2024 18:39:46, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>Andy Burns wrote:
>
>With digital delays, the answer has to be negative.
>
>Chris

Not for time precision, no (although if you listen to them on FM [or I
presume AM], they're close enough to set most clocks and watches).

But as a cultural meme, I'd be sad to see them go.

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013

Theo

Feb 12, 2024, 5:37:56 PMFeb 12
In uk.tech.broadcast J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <cepksitb2fd2viit2...@4ax.com> at Mon, 12 Feb
> 2024 18:39:46, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes
> >Andy Burns wrote:
> >
> >With digital delays, the answer has to be negative.
> >
> >Chris
>
> Not for time precision, no (although if you listen to them on FM [or I
> presume AM], they're close enough to set most clocks and watches).
>
> But as a cultural meme, I'd be sad to see them go.

They just signify 'here is the news' at this point, like the Big Ben bongs
for News at Ten, or the 45 seconds of pompous flummery on the BBC News
Channel.

Theo

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 12, 2024, 8:34:13 PMFeb 12
In message <-Nn*VD...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> at Mon, 12 Feb 2024
22:37:51, Theo <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I think they're a bit
more than that - as I said if you use the FM feed, they're close enough
to set your watch by.

I agree about the BBC News countdown - I don't think there's any
pretence that it counts down to the hour, even allowing for the variable
digital processing time. Sometime last year they even stopped it being a
frame counter and changed it to centiseconds (which of course can't be
displayed on a 25i - or even 50p - system). Well, I wouldn't call it
pompous, but it _is_ often amusingly anachronistic: does any
professional still use a luggable camera with a CRT viewfinder, for
example?

you can't blame boomers for everything. - Joe Queenan, RT 2023/6/24-30

Andy Burns

Feb 13, 2024, 3:48:51 AMFeb 13
Chris J Dixon wrote:

> With digital delays, the answer has to be negative.

Seems that most foreign broadcasters have already stopped using them,
but the BBC staff interviewed favoured keeping them for nostalgia/tradition.

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 4:04:31 AMFeb 13
In message <l30onf...@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 13 Feb 2024
08:48:46, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> writes
What does the _audience_ think? I suspect it's probably an age-related
response, with older people liking them, younger not being so concerned,
though with quite wide variation both ways.

Another lively meeting of thr 1922 Committee - the secret gathering of BBC
presenters that gets its name from the fact that no one is sober after
twenty-past seven. - Eddie Mair, RT 16-22 April 2011

Max Demian

Feb 13, 2024, 7:37:37 AMFeb 13
On 12/02/2024 18:07, Andy Burns wrote:

> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w0yw>

I do.

--
Max Demian

Chris J Dixon

Feb 13, 2024, 8:18:51 AMFeb 13
Max Demian wrote:

>On 12/02/2024 18:07, Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w0yw>
>
>I do.

Because?

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 8:54:44 AMFeb 13
In message <p0rmsipn7fn7ho5c5...@4ax.com> at Tue, 13 Feb
2024 13:18:46, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>Max Demian wrote:
>
>>On 12/02/2024 18:07, Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w0yw>
>>
>>I do.
>
>Because?
>
>Chris

People who want to abolish them give me the pip ... (-:

(Or, in general, who want to abolish/change something just for the sake
of it where keeping it involves minimal effort/expense.)

I love listening to music that make my eyes water.
- "Super8rescue" 2022

Tweed

Feb 13, 2024, 10:53:23 AMFeb 13
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <p0rmsipn7fn7ho5c5...@4ax.com> at Tue, 13 Feb
> 2024 13:18:46, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>> Max Demian wrote:

>>> I do.
>>
>> Because?
>>
>> Chris
>
> People who want to abolish them give me the pip ... (-:
>
> (Or, in general, who want to abolish/change something just for the sake
> of it where keeping it involves minimal effort/expense.)

The problem is that the pips on DAB or live stream are misleading. It’s
wrong to broadcast a time signal that can be very many seconds off. Not
everyone is aware of the limitations.

Max Demian

Feb 13, 2024, 11:32:51 AMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 15:53, Tweed wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <p0rmsipn7fn7ho5c5...@4ax.com> at Tue, 13 Feb
>> 2024 13:18:46, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes

>>> Because?

>> People who want to abolish them give me the pip ... (-:
>>
>> (Or, in general, who want to abolish/change something just for the sake
>> of it where keeping it involves minimal effort/expense.)
>
> The problem is that the pips on DAB or live stream are misleading. It’s
> wrong to broadcast a time signal that can be very many seconds off. Not
> everyone is aware of the limitations.

I use the (usually 8am R4) pips on FM to check/set clocks & watches as
required.

--
Max Demian

Mark Carver

Feb 13, 2024, 11:51:42 AMFeb 13
The +/-10 second accuracy is good enough for domestic use.

It's a different matter if you're NASA, firing a burn to propel
something in the right direction towards Pluto

JMB99

Feb 13, 2024, 12:16:52 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 15:53, Tweed wrote:
> The problem is that the pips on DAB or live stream are misleading. It’s
> wrong to broadcast a time signal that can be very many seconds off. Not
> everyone is aware of the limitations.

The ones who are not aware probably do not bother setting their watches
/ clocks often anyway.

Andy Burns

Feb 13, 2024, 12:21:53 PMFeb 13
Mark Carver wrote:

> Max Demian wrote:
>
>> I use the (usually 8am R4) pips on FM to check/set clocks & watches as
>> required.
>
> The +/-10 second accuracy is good enough for domestic use.

Most homes have at least one mobile phone, which I find are within +/- 1
second of any "good" time source I compare them to ...

John Williamson

Feb 13, 2024, 12:31:18 PMFeb 13
Mobile phones take their time reference from the network servers, which
in turn use either the GPS or NPL references.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

the dog from that film you saw

Feb 13, 2024, 12:42:29 PMFeb 13
On 12/02/2024 18:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w0yw>

no we don't but you could bet someone would moan if they went.
it's seems to be a peculiarly radio thing that many listeners expect the
station to be preserved in aspic, never changing. you wouldn't expect
bbc 1 to be similar to how it was in 1970.
like... the shipping forecast. what person whose life might depend on
that would listen to it on the radio instead of via other modern means?

tony sayer

Feb 13, 2024, 1:52:04 PMFeb 13
In article <uqg39f$258qv$1...@dont-email.me>, Tweed
<usenet...@gmail.com> scribeth thus
But near enough for Joe Publick and his missus!..
--
Tony Sayer

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:17:46 PMFeb 13
Yes well they were stopped some time back and I think are generated by the
bbc themselves with a countdown up to them to aid program producers. So I
wonder if there was some way that the delay could be accounted for on the
different media delivery systems. I'd imagine if a sat were involved it
would be the longest delay. However D
aB and internet can be worse sometimes but it seems to vary.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 2:20:18 PMFeb 13
In message <uqg39f$258qv$1...@dont-email.me> at Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:53:19,
Tweed <usenet...@gmail.com> writes
That is a good point; ideally, the answer there would be to not
broadcast them on DAB/FreeView, but that probably starts to involve
expense.

... the greatest musical festival in the world that doesn't involve mud.
- Eddie Mair, RT 2014/8/16-22

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:22:13 PMFeb 13
Are you suggesting that the BBC live in the past? grin.
There was a very funny skit on what might be going on during the run in to
news bulletins many years ago. The idea seemed to be that it gave just
enough time for the staff to stop snogging each other and sort their
makeup out.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:24:23 PMFeb 13
Was it not the Muppets who had the pips as pig noised and a pig reading the
news, um all about pigs followed by pigs in space? I'm going back a long way
here.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:26:25 PMFeb 13
Why are not all clocks radio clocks so they set themselves. It surely cannot
be that expensive, even some cheap watches do it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Max Demian" <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:31:16 PMFeb 13
Bad example, actually there is quite a leeway on many rocket launches as
modern computers can calculate in real time to get the spacecraft to the
right place nowadays.

I was just thinking as to when good time keeping might be needed and how to
get it. Certainly out of doors, GPS Satellites are the place to go, since
the system reads their clocks as part of the position computing. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mark Carver" <ma...@invalid.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Feb 13, 2024, 2:35:15 PMFeb 13
The internet is far worse, add that over a sat link and it can be more than
a minute. As I said elsewhere in this thread. it would need some clever
calculation for it to appear at the same time everywhere, and then it would
crash into the program.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote in message

JMB99

Feb 13, 2024, 2:36:00 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 19:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Why are not all clocks radio clocks so they set themselves. It surely cannot
> be that expensive, even some cheap watches do it.

Cost.

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 2:40:21 PMFeb 13
In message <uqgfh2$27igd$1...@dont-email.me> at Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:22:08,
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> writes
>Are you suggesting that the BBC live in the past? grin.

As do many of their audience, so both are happy with each other! Grin.

> There was a very funny skit on what might be going on during the run in to
>news bulletins many years ago. The idea seemed to be that it gave just
>enough time for the staff to stop snogging each other and sort their
>makeup out.
> Brian

I think that was either Whoops Apocalypse or Drop the Dead Donkey, or
maybe both.

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 2:50:19 PMFeb 13
In message <uqgfot$27k20$1...@dont-email.me> at Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:26:20,
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> writes
>Why are not all clocks radio clocks so they set themselves. It surely cannot
>be that expensive, even some cheap watches do it.
> Brian

Same reason not all (weighing - bathroom or kitchen) scales/clocks, and
many other appliances, don't have speech output. Though it wouldn't cost
_much_, the manufacturers won't do it if it costs _any_ more, and they
don't think they'd get enough extra sales to justify it.

(I agree: I have a radio-locked one in my kitchen I bought from Lidl
many years ago. Runs for several years on a single AA [and yes, it is
genuinely radio-locked, not just claiming to be]; can't have been that
expensive.)

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 13, 2024, 2:50:21 PMFeb 13
In message <uqgg21$27lr2$1...@dont-email.me> at Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:31:12,
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> writes
>Bad example, actually there is quite a leeway on many rocket launches as
>modern computers can calculate in real time to get the spacecraft to the
>right place nowadays.
>
>I was just thinking as to when good time keeping might be needed and how to
>get it. Certainly out of doors, GPS Satellites are the place to go, since
>the system reads their clocks as part of the position computing. Brian

I remember when the GP system was just being set up - not all the
satellites up, or something - being shown with some pride by a colleague
at work a GPS receiver; it was a full-size PC plug-in card, and he had
what must have been an unusual laptop as it could take such a card
(though only one). He proudly told me - with a twinkle in his eye, he
was like that - that B block, the building we were in, was proceeding at
X knots in a ?erly direction.

The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for
everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off. - Albert
Pierrepoint, in his 1974 autobiography.

Max Demian

Feb 14, 2024, 6:19:06 AMFeb 14
B-b-but it's /poetry/!

--
Max Demian

Max Demian

Feb 14, 2024, 6:20:14 AMFeb 14
That is something which I very rarely do.

--
Max Demian

Chris Morgan

Feb 20, 2024, 8:01:22 AMFeb 20
Experience the Ultimate Nightlife Thrill with Tesla Ecstasy – MDMA Pill

Embark on an exhilarating journey of ecstasy with Tesla Ecstasy, an MDMA pill meticulously crafted to elevate your nightlife adventures. Let's delve into the captivating qualities and exhilarating sensations offered by this extraordinary product.
www.socialdarkpharma.com

Ecstatic Energy Surge:

Tesla Ecstasy delivers an electrifying energy surge, infusing your night with an unmatched sense of euphoria. Also known as Ecstasy molly, each pill ignites a wave of ecstatic bliss, making the music pulse through your veins and the dance floor come alive with energy.
www.socialdarkpharma.com

Premium Quality Assurance:

Choose Tesla Ecstasy with confidence, backed by premium quality assurance. Each pill is meticulously crafted to the highest standards, ensuring a safe and exhilarating journey into ecstasy. Elevate your nightlife experience with a product you can trust.

www.socialdarkpharma.com

Tag:
Buy 2cb pill 30mg
Buy Adderall