The African Queen

Andy Burns

Jun 18, 2023, 12:24:08 PM6/18/23
Flicking around the channels this afternoon, I noticed that The African
Queen was on (mainly because i think it was on not very long ago).

I don't think I've ever watched much of it, but what struck me was that
is was in colour, I would have sworn that when I've watched bits of it
before it was in B&W.

Has it normally been shown in colour, or was a cheapo B&W copy lurking
somewhere?

Arthur Conan Doyle

Jun 18, 2023, 4:12:31 PM6/18/23
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>I don't think I've ever watched much of it, but what struck me was that
>is was in colour, I would have sworn that when I've watched bits of it
>before it was in B&W.

Maybe on a B&W TV, but it was filmed in Technicolor, some in England:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_African_Queen_(film)#/media/File:The_African_Queen_(1952_US_poster).jpg>

Restored to 4K in 2010...

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

Mike Headon

Jun 19, 2023, 6:34:29 AM6/19/23
I have the opposite problem - for years I was convinced that 'Some Like
it Hot' was in colour!
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R

Mike Swift

Jun 19, 2023, 8:19:23 AM6/19/23
In article <kfap9j...@mid.individual.net>, Mike Headon
<po...@YCKMHWA.com> writes
>I have the opposite problem - for years I was convinced that 'Some Like it
>Hot' was in colour!

I'm watching some classic children's TV from my youth in the 1950's on
Talking Pictures T. V.

Robin Hood, The Buccaneers and Sir Lancelot.

I assume the last one was sold in the States as there are intermittent
colour episodes.

Last year they transmitted all the William Tell episodes.

A great channel for Old Farts like me.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Andy Burns

Jun 19, 2023, 4:04:56 PM6/19/23
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I would have sworn that when I've watched bits of it
>> before it was in B&W.
>
> Maybe on a B&W TV

I've not had one since the '70s

> but it was filmed in Technicolor, some in England:

Oh well, just the mind playing tricks then.

JNugent

Jun 21, 2023, 10:16:18 AM6/21/23
The first time I ever saw any of it, it was certainly in monochrome, on
a 17", 405 lines, VHF TV.

JNugent

Sep 20, 2023, 5:51:19 PM9/20/23
Just spotted this.

A clip from TAQ was used in the 1962 UK-made Hope and Crosby movie "Road
To Hong Kong". RTHK was itself made in B&W, so the clip was also
rendered in monochrome. It was a few seconds of Bogey slowly towing the
boat on foot through a swamp (before getting out of the water covered in
leeches).

Mike Headon

Sep 21, 2023, 7:14:58 AM9/21/23
I'm sure that TAQ was always in colour (I saw it at school in the
fifties, Sunday evening treat).
For years I was convinced that "Some Like it Hot" was in colour, then I
was amazed to find that it was not.

JNugent

Sep 21, 2023, 5:19:18 PM9/21/23
"Some Like It Hot" is set in Florida (for most of the action after the
first few scenes).

The hotel seen in those scenes is in San Diego, CA (it has very
distinctive architecture).

Pete W

Sep 22, 2023, 5:25:43 AM9/22/23
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:14:57 +0100, Mike Headon <po...@YCKMHWA.com>
wrote:
FWIW The trailer on youtube is in colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jytHOsDos
---
Pete.