House of Cards

Jeff Layman

Nov 16, 2022, 2:22:47 PM11/16/22
The original series is being shown on BBC4 tonight starting at 2215.
There's a comment on it by Michael Dobbs, the author, at 2200.

--

Jeff

NY

Nov 16, 2022, 3:30:15 PM11/16/22
"Jeff Layman" <Je...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> The original series is being shown on BBC4 tonight starting at 2215.
> There's a comment on it by Michael Dobbs, the author, at 2200.

I've go all three series on DVD, otherwise I'd be recording it. It was a
fantastic series. Ian Richardson played the part of Francis Urquhart with
Machiavellian glee, and his frequent asides the to camera served to get the
audience on his side. You knew that what he was doing was corrupt and
contemptible... but you were egging him on and wanted him to succeed. And
Susannah Harker's breathy delivery when she called him "Daddy" was the stuff
of very pleasant morning-wood dreams :-) It was good that the BBC changed
the ending of the first book, because it gave Michael Dobbs the chance to
write the second and third books and have them filmed. In "To Play the
King", Michael Kitchen's performance was very like a certain real-life king
;-)

I've set my PVR to record Michael Dobbs' retrospective piece about the
series. It will be interesting to hear what he says, in the light of
political developments in the decades since the days of Thatcher.