Re: Wimbledon EPG screw up on BBC again

Stephen Wolstenholme

Jun 29, 2022, 8:58:20 AMJun 29
On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:26:05 +0200, Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

>Why does the BBC continue to swap tennis for other programmes from BBC 2 to BBC1
>without updating the EPG. If they want to have Wimbledon on BBC1, why not
>programme to have it there to start with? Nice to have a recording of tennis
>instead of Sherwood?

The starting on one channel and then moving to another is a bit tricky
for recorders. I don't know any type of recorder that can follow a
series of programs that changes channels. My recorder waits for the
program to start on one channel and expects it to stay in the same
place.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Mike Swift

Jun 29, 2022, 9:45:48 AMJun 29
In article <n8iobhh29694e318l...@4ax.com>, Stephen
Wolstenholme <st...@easynn.com> writes
>The starting on one channel and then moving to another is a bit tricky for
>recorders. I don't know any type of recorder that can follow a series of
>programs that changes channels. My recorder waits for the program to start
>on one channel and expects it to stay in the same place.

My Virgin V6 manages up to a point but I think it would struggle with
the tennis.

I have a series link for Countryfile on BBC 1, I wondered why it was
missing next Sunday, seems the Beeb has swapped it to BBC 2, the series
link menu has an option to set it to ALL rather than a channel, this set
it to record.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

JNugent

Jun 29, 2022, 10:44:36 AMJun 29
On 29/06/2022 01:26 pm, Martin wrote:

> Why does the BBC continue to swap tennis for other programmes from BBC 2 to BBC1
> without updating the EPG. If they want to have Wimbledon on BBC1, why not
> programme to have it there to start with? Nice to have a recording of tennis
> instead of Sherwood?

+1!

JNugent

Jun 29, 2022, 10:47:06 AMJun 29
Exactly.

But if the Sky EPG had been updated (by the BBC, or at least, on the
BBC's information), a Sky+ box would have managed to get "Sherwood".

I don't accept that as many people watch live-transmitted sport via an
off-air video-recording, as compared with the number of people who watch
proper TV programmes via an off-air recording.

Mike Swift

Jun 30, 2022, 7:57:01 AMJun 30
In article <ldqqbhlvr04sa2rp2...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>The BBC have 7 channels showing tennis ATM. Why do they have to try to
>boost BBC1 viewing figures by switching between BBC2 and BBC1.
>Incidentally one of the BBC Red Button channels had awful quality. It had to
>be the one showing the match my wife wanted to watch.
>--
If it was the Centre Court one in UHD / 4K it was unwatchable even on my
UHD TV, flat and red tinted.

I get great UHD on other iPLayer stuff such as Natural History as well
as good UHD on BT Sports, Virgin Ultra and You Tube.

Gordon Freeman

Jul 3, 2022, 6:26:03 PMJul 3
Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

> Why does the BBC continue to swap tennis for other programmes
from BBC
> 2 to BBC1 without updating the EPG. If they want to have
Wimbledon on
> BBC1, why not programme to have it there to start with? Nice to
have a
> recording of tennis instead of Sherwood?

I think they're trying to convey the back and forth vibe of a
tennis match. Maybe what they should do is show the court from
opposite ends on the two channels. Or switch channels on each
change of serve.

Fortunately the Tour de France stays resolutely on ITV4 so I'm
happy. And despite the massive five-deep crowds lining the
highways and byways of Denmark, I was gratified to hear the famous
former sprinter Marcel Kittel say today that in his opinion they
didn't quite match the crowds at the Grand Depart in Yorkshire a
few years ago. (And I'm sure the fact that he won the yellow
jersey in Yorkshire hasn't coloured his perceptions in the
slightest!)

Richard Evans

Jul 8, 2022, 1:11:21 PMJul 8
On 29/06/2022 13:26, Martin wrote:
> If they want to have Wimbledon on BBC1, why not
> programme to have it there to start with?

I'm not interested in tennis, and I find it irritating that
both BBC1 and BBC2 seem to have tennis all day.

However, to answer the question. I would think changes to the
EPG are because nobody knows how long each match is going to
take.

Richard Evans

Jul 8, 2022, 1:15:25 PMJul 8
On 29/06/2022 13:58, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> The starting on one channel and then moving to another is a bit tricky
> for recorders.

After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....

Jim The Geordie

Jul 8, 2022, 1:18:31 PMJul 8
On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:15:21 +0100, Richard Evans wrote:

> On 29/06/2022 13:58, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>

>> The starting on one channel and then moving to another is a bit tricky
>> for recorders.
>
> After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
> because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....

It's the BBC's way of protecting you from yourself :)

Mike Swift

Jul 8, 2022, 8:05:37 PMJul 8
In article <gwvq79jh912d$.idru41xf...@40tude.net>, Jim The Geordie
<j...@jimXscott.co.uk> writes
>>> The starting on one channel and then moving to another is a bit tricky
>>> for recorders.
>>
>> After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
>> because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....
>
>It's the BBC's way of protecting you from yourself :)

LOL

Richard Evans

Jul 10, 2022, 10:05:36 AMJul 10
On 08/07/2022 18:18, Jim The Geordie wrote:

>> After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
>> because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....
>
> It's the BBC's way of protecting you from yourself :)

It's was the BBC denying my a chance to escape from reality for a while.

Mike Swift

Jul 10, 2022, 8:18:51 PMJul 10
In article <taembc$1u9h$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Richard Evans
<R.P.Evan...@Sky.com> writes
>>> After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
>>> because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....
>>
>> It's the BBC's way of protecting you from yourself :)
>
>It's was the BBC denying my a chance to escape from reality for a while.

Surely most of the stuff the BBC transmits has little to do with
reality,
especially the news.

Mike Swift

Jul 12, 2022, 6:46:57 AMJul 12
In article <tt9qch91v91hmoklq...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes

>>>It's was the BBC denying my a chance to escape from reality for a while.
>>
>>Surely most of the stuff the BBC transmits has little to do with
>>reality,
>>especially the news.
>
>You refer to the BBC. revealing in interviews with ministers, what bunch if
>shits have been running the country? :-)
>--

Exactly, proves my point perfectly.

JNugent

Jul 12, 2022, 7:02:54 AMJul 12
On 09/07/2022 01:05 am, Mike Swift wrote:

> Jim The Geordie <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> writes

>>> After a few days, I realized my PVR was not recording Eastenders,
>>> because it had moved from BBC1 to BBC2 Grrr....
>
>> It's the BBC's way of protecting you from yourself :)
>
> LOL

I have never seen the film "Half A Sixpence" and it was scheduled (on
BBC2, I think) a few days ago.

So being a Wells fan, I set two recorders for it - Sky + and HDD/DVD-R.

I got two hours of gardening and other such delights.

Mike Swift

Jul 12, 2022, 8:12:05 PMJul 12
In article <s1lqch5icb45486ni...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>>>You refer to the BBC. revealing in interviews with ministers, what bunch if
>>>shits have been running the country? :-)
>>>--
>>
>>Exactly, proves my point perfectly.
>
>You prefer not to hear the views of ministers?

Not on the BBC, Red Laura was one sided but the new political reporter
is so far to the left he's in Mid Atlantic.

pe...@never.here

Jul 13, 2022, 4:43:04 AMJul 13
On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 01:11:50 +0100, Mike Swift
<mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <s1lqch5icb45486ni...@4ax.com>, Martin
><m...@address.invalid> writes
>>>
>>>Exactly, proves my point perfectly.
>>
>>You prefer not to hear the views of ministers?
>
>Not on the BBC, Red Laura was one sided but the new political reporter
>is so far to the left he's in Mid Atlantic.
>
>Mike

And he's a Yorkshireman too. There's no pleasing some people <bg>
--
Pete

Mike Swift

Jul 13, 2022, 7:26:22 AMJul 13
In article <l81tch1oc7vduj12o...@4ax.com>, pe...@never.here
writes

>>>You prefer not to hear the views of ministers?
>>
>>Not on the BBC, Red Laura was one sided but the new political reporter
>>is so far to the left he's in Mid Atlantic.
>>
>>Mike
>
>And he's a Yorkshireman too. There's no pleasing some people <bg>

Didn't know that, doesn't change the fact I think there is something
about the night about him.

Mike Swift

Jul 14, 2022, 7:46:12 AMJul 14
In article <kblvchdr3p24als84...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>Are you talking about Nick Robinson, the BBC's most aggressive
>interviewer? He was a true blue Conservative when he joined the BBC His
>previous job was at the Conservative Party head office.

No Chris Mason, who took over as Political Editor when Laura moved on.

We have an app based "Newspaper" called YorkshireLive, it's part of the
Mirror Group and allegedly reports on Yorkshire news, that is when it's
not reporting news from all over Britain.

The quality of "journalism" is appalling and would make a 10 year old
blush, it seem they don't have a spell checker on their system, grammar
is dire even to someone like me who failed English twice at my G.C.E.'s
and the thrust of reports are " I visited *** and ***"", usually a pub,
restaurant or beach complete with a Selfie.

JNugent

Jul 16, 2022, 8:10:28 AMJul 16
On 16/07/2022 10:43 am, Martin wrote:

> Mike Swift <mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote:
> Martin <m...@address.invalid> writes

>>> Are you talking about Nick Robinson, the BBC's most aggressive
>>> interviewer? He was a true blue Conservative when he joined the BBC His
>>> previous job was at the Conservative Party head office.
>
>> No Chris Mason, who took over as Political Editor when Laura moved on.
>
>> We have an app based "Newspaper" called YorkshireLive, it's part of the
>> Mirror Group and allegedly reports on Yorkshire news, that is when it's
>> not reporting news from all over Britain.
>
>> The quality of "journalism" is appalling and would make a 10 year old
>> blush, it seem they don't have a spell checker on their system, grammar
>> is dire even to someone like me who failed English twice at my G.C.E.'s
>> and the thrust of reports are " I visited *** and ***"", usually a pub,
>> restaurant or beach complete with a Selfie.
>
> The Express is the same also owned by the Mirror group. I think all UK local
> newspapers are owned by the same company. The Yorkshire Post used to be very
> right wing has gone left wing .

Much the same is true of the former (and famous) Liverpool Echo, which
is now effectively the Manchester Labour Party Echo.

The company which owns these former newspapers, the Maxwell Press
(irrespective of its actual name), is now called "Reach".

One wonders why the MMC had nothing to say about the Daily Express being
bought by the Maxwell Press. It's a clear case of reduction of political
coverage and if something analogous were happening in broadcasting,
there'd be a hue and cry over it.

Oh... hang on...

There IS a hue and cry over the forthcoming privatisation of Channel 4...

> The food reviews in our local Dutch newspaper are the same. I think they are a
> perk for being the editor. He sucks up to whoever owns the place. He visited the
> local yacht club restaurant actually contracted out to a small chain of crap
> restaurants. He mentioned how wet they got going their by bike in the rain. The
> photo is an old photo taken on a sunny day outside the restauarant.The club was
> using the restaurant for some sort of meeting. They had to sit on bar stools at
> a little round table made for having a drink The main course of a £60 meal
> (excluding wine) was a steak, The steak was so tough he couldn't even chew it
> never mind eat it. He b;amed the butcher who supplied the meat. He didn't get
> something else or a refund. He marked the meal 7/10 the same as he marks most
> meals. He obviously can't budget. He spent £60/person at the beginning of the
> month and similar amounts in other restaurants until the last week of the month
> when he went to a cafe and spent £5 on sandwiches and a cup of coffee. It's the
> same every month.

Calum

Jul 16, 2022, 10:33:03 AMJul 16
On 13/07/2022 01:11, Mike Swift wrote:

> Not on the BBC, Red Laura was one sided but the new political reporter
> is so far to the left he's in Mid Atlantic.

"Red Laura" who "has been accused of being embedded within the Tory
party, of being the personal tribune of Dominic Cummings, of being too
light on lying Leavers, of being openly dismissive of the Corbyn
leadership"?

The one who has "faced intense abuse over perceived bias – both leftwing
and pro-Tory"?

The one who was "accused of acting as an unofficial spokesperson for
Boris Johnson’s government after her report on the Tories’ plan to hike
National Insurance (NI) contributions"?

The one who had a change.org petition started against her because she
"has used Twitter in a way to undermine Jeremy Corbyn and has
demonstrated a bias against the labour party in her editorial duties"?

People see what they want to see.

Mike Swift

Jul 16, 2022, 8:52:53 PMJul 16
In article <taui6t$ch1$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Calum
<com....@nospam.scottishwildcat> writes
>People see what they want to see.

I saw what was a person who gave Labour an easy time but ripped into the
Tories.
I expect to see balanced reporting from the BBC, something sadly missing
for many years.

Mike Swift

Jul 18, 2022, 8:12:15 AMJul 18
In article <93eadh5baqr39mhgi...@4ax.com>, Martin
<m...@address.invalid> writes
>>I saw what was a person who gave Labour an easy time but ripped into the
>>Tories.
>>I expect to see balanced reporting from the BBC, something sadly missing
>>for many years.
>>
>>Mike
>
>You deleted the part of Calum's post that showed that she is not biased
>other than perhaps in her dislike of dishonest politicians.

Funny how Starmer and Krankie are never questioned about their wrong
doings, or Golden Boy Sunak for that matter.

The disgraceful piece about the Woman's football team being all white
sums up the BBC perfectly, strange how they don't mention that the
athletics running team is mainly black.

Teams are chosen from the best people available, time the BBC realised
they can't force diversity on sport, or any other part of our culture.