Low quality video

Jeff Layman

Feb 14, 2021, 9:11:50 AM2/14/21
Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!

--

Jeff

JNugent

Feb 14, 2021, 10:07:21 AM2/14/21
On 14/02/2021 02:11 pm, Jeff Layman wrote:

> Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
> videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!

VHS? Beta?

Andy Burns

Feb 14, 2021, 10:11:20 AM2/14/21
Jeff Layman wrote:

> That's TV
There are 41 sub-channels hidden within LCN 264, who knew?

the dog from that film you saw

Feb 14, 2021, 10:37:21 AM2/14/21
On 14/02/2021 14:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
> Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
> videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!

i recognise a lot of the videos from youtube.
wonder if they just downloaded them?
either way, it's been fun watching it, lots of great songs.

Jeff Layman

Feb 14, 2021, 11:40:27 AM2/14/21
Although some of the videos are 1980s+ versions (from the age of the
performers!), many are original. They predate both VHS and Betamax,
which are from the 70s. Some would be conversions from film, while some
are probably original VTR on reel-to-reel tape.

What I find interesting is that although the video quality is often very
poor, the sound is quite reasonable.

--

Jeff

Arthur Conan Doyle

Feb 14, 2021, 2:23:09 PM2/14/21
Jethro_uk <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

>Ironically it seems that is as good as it got, whereas some older film
>content has been spectacularly upgraded to be pretty decent even now.

CBS did this with the original Star Trek series. As I recall, it was shot on
35mm film stock which they were able to rescan. I think some of the matte
material (mostly bridge computer displays and main screen content) was 16mm and
had to be redone as the original was lower resolution.

Is a bit of a double edge sword. A lot of that material was prepared and shot
with the understanding of resolution of the day. Boost that after the fact and
all of a sudden you start to see defects in the sets and semi-tranparent
clothing. :)

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.

NY

Feb 15, 2021, 4:28:09 AM2/15/21
"Jethro_uk" <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
> Was chatting with SWMBO about this, watching "Yes Minister" which was
> almost all VT, which back in the day seemed far better quality than film.

16 mm film in the 1970s and 80s was very poor: grainy, soft (ie not sharp),
flickery (because it was 25p rather than 50i) and drab. It was very
noticeable because the standard production technique in those days was to
mix film exteriors with studio video interiors, and video was sharp, more
colourful and more smooth (because it was 50i). But it was a bit garish - I
remember a production of As You Like It, shot outdoors on video, being
described in a newspaper review as being "holiday brochure colours" - ie a
bit OTT.

Since then, the quality of both film and video have improved dramatically,
to the point that it is no longer possible at a glance to distinguish one
from the other, by looking for the tell-tale deficiencies of each.

I've noticed that a lot of old TV programmes that are repeated on UK Drama,
Yesterday etc, have an additional problem with the film inserts. Rumpole of
the Bailey on Talking Pictures TV at the moment is a good example of this.
There is a lot of smearing and double-imaging on movement. Maybe its more
noticeable on an LCD screen which displays everything in 25p - ie 25
complete frames per second, rather than two half-resolution fields, one
every 1/50 second. I think the problem is that the fields are being
"packaged" wrongly into frames: a given TV frame consists of two fields from
*different* frames of film, rather than both fields being from the same film
frame. You'd think that when the VT was being converted from analogue to
digital, this is something that would be checked for. My analogue-to-digital
(PAL to MPEG) converter has a 50% chance of doing it when I'm copying from
VHS, but I know about the problem and I check for it and start again if the
first few seconds display the characteristic symptoms. I'd expect
professional equipment not even to make that mistake. The problem is only
noticeable on film; video is fine.

Mike Swift

Feb 15, 2021, 9:34:44 AM2/15/21
In article <i8ssl6...@mid.individual.net>, JNugent
<jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> writes
>> Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
>> videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!
>
>VHS? Beta?

I copied some of my VHS motorsport videos to my PC, not really worth the
effort.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Mike Swift

Feb 15, 2021, 9:34:45 AM2/15/21
In article <s0bmaj$lbl$1...@dont-email.me>, Jethro_uk
<jeth...@hotmailbin.com> writes
>Was chatting with SWMBO about this, watching "Yes Minister" which was
>almost all VT, which back in the day seemed far better quality than film.
>
>Ironically it seems that is as good as it got, whereas some older film content
>has been spectacularly upgraded to be pretty decent even now.

I've mentioned before we have been watching Talking Pictures episodes of
William Tell, Robin Hood, Francis Drake and Sir Lancelot, the quality is
surprisingly good for something made 80 years ago.

Mike Swift

Feb 15, 2021, 9:38:49 AM2/15/21
In article <s0bb34$jk9$1...@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
<jmla...@invalid.invalid> writes
>Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
>videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!

Talking about low quality, I switched on the live rugby on the Beeb
yesterday, the quality was dire, not sure if it was them or Virgin but
it was unwatchable, shows how critical we've become after watching HD
and VHD.

Norman Wells

Feb 15, 2021, 9:59:04 AM2/15/21
On 15/02/2021 14:38, Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <s0bb34$jk9$1...@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
> <jmla...@invalid.invalid> writes
>> Tha"t TV have been doing an ad-free 60s music weekend. Some of the
>> videos from the period make 320 x 240 seem like UHD!
>
> Talking about low quality, I switched on the live  rugby on the Beeb
> yesterday, the quality was dire, not sure if it was them or Virgin but
> it was unwatchable, shows how critical we've become after watching HD
> and VHD.

The rugby I saw yesterday was on ITV.

the dog from that film you saw

Feb 15, 2021, 12:02:27 PM2/15/21
i'd guess there's plenty of good quality sources of the songs to overdub
onto the video in the hands of the record company.

JNugent

Feb 15, 2021, 12:03:53 PM2/15/21
On 15/02/2021 02:32 pm, Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <s0bmaj$lbl$1...@dont-email.me>, Jethro_uk
> <jeth...@hotmailbin.com> writes
>> Was chatting with SWMBO about this, watching "Yes Minister" which was
>> almost all VT, which back in the day seemed far better quality than film.
>>
>> Ironically it seems that is as good as it got, whereas some older film
>> content
>> has been spectacularly upgraded to be pretty decent even now.
>
> I've mentioned before we have been watching Talking Pictures episodes of
> William Tell, Robin Hood, Francis Drake and Sir Lancelot, the quality is
> surprisingly good for something made 80 years ago.

They're all on film. I think the oldest ("The Adventures of Robin Hood")
is still a bit less than 70 years old, the first season having been made
just in advance of the start of ATV and AR-TV in September 1955.

Mike Swift

Feb 15, 2021, 8:12:47 PM2/15/21
In article <i8vnrn...@mid.individual.net>, JNugent
<jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> writes
>> I've mentioned before we have been watching Talking Pictures episodes of
>> William Tell, Robin Hood, Francis Drake and Sir Lancelot, the quality is
>> surprisingly good for something made 80 years ago.
>
>They're all on film. I think the oldest ("The Adventures of Robin Hood") is
>still a bit less than 70 years old, the first season having been made just in
>advance of the start of ATV and AR-TV in September 1955.

Captain Mainwaring voice, I see you spotted my deliberate mistake, well
done.

Obviously should have been 60 years, sneaks away stage left.

JNugent

Feb 15, 2021, 8:48:25 PM2/15/21
On 16/02/2021 01:12 am, Mike Swift wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> writes

>>> I've mentioned before we have been watching Talking Pictures episodes of
>>> William Tell, Robin Hood, Francis Drake and Sir Lancelot, the quality is
>>> surprisingly good for something made 80 years ago.
>
>> They're all on film. I think the oldest ("The Adventures of Robin
>> Hood") is still a bit less than 70 years old, the first season having
>> been made just in advance of the start of ATV and AR-TV in September
>> 1955.
>
> Captain Mainwaring voice, I see you spotted my deliberate mistake, well
> done.
>
> Obviously should have been 60 years, sneaks away stage left.
>
> Mike

:-)

"70" is nearer (a bit)!

Mike Swift

Feb 16, 2021, 7:35:31 AM2/16/21
In article <i90mj6...@mid.individual.net>, JNugent
For the real Nerds among us :-

The Adventures of Sir Lancelot - 1 Series - 30 Episodes - 1956-1957
Sir Francis Drake " - 26
Episodes - 1961-1962
William Tell " -
39 Episodes - 1958-1959
The Adventures of Robin Hood - 4 Series - 143 Episodes - 1955-1960

Missing as yet on Talking Pictures,

Ivanhoe - 1 Series - 39
Episodes - 1958-1959
The Buccaneers - 1 Series - 39 Episodes -
1956-1957

Where's my life gone?

JNugent

Feb 16, 2021, 10:53:56 AM2/16/21
On 16/02/2021 12:35 pm, Mike Swift wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&c...@fastmail.fm> writes

>>> Captain Mainwaring voice, I see you spotted my deliberate mistake, well
>>> done.
>
>>> Obviously should have been 60 years, sneaks away stage left.
>
>> :-)
>> "70" is nearer (a bit)!
>
> For the real Nerds among us :-
>
> The Adventures of Sir Lancelot  - 1 Series - 30 Episodes - 1956-1957
> Sir Francis Drake                  "       - 26 Episodes - 1961-1962
> William Tell  "      - 39 Episodes - 1958-1959
> The Adventures of Robin Hood - 4 Series - 143 Episodes - 1955-1960

> Missing as yet on Talking Pictures,

> Ivanhoe               - 1 Series - 39 Episodes - 1958-1959
> The Buccaneers   - 1 Series - 39 Episodes - 1956-1957

> Where's my life gone?

I have all of those (except "Sir Francis Drake", which I never liked) on
DVD box-sets. Also the ITC series "Sword of Freedom" with Edmund Purdom
and Adrienne Corri.

I hope one day to be able to devote time to watching them.

Others I'd like to see again were "The Black Arrow" (BBC TV [I think],
late 1950s) and "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (ITV, late 50s and early 60s,
with Marius Goring).

J Nugent

Nov 25, 2021, 12:47:11 PM11/25/21
Update:

I now have the DVD set for "The Scarlet Pimpernel"... I *must* make time to watch a few episodes...