Telewest cable modems - Dates??

1 view

Glen

Nov 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/27/99
Anyone know of release dates/testing etc for cable modems in the basildon
area??

If so any prices set yet??

Thanks

Glen

mutialte_Brian

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
allegedly Jan 2k. price? - they don't even seem to know! testing is already
done and complete, last year. they are just being w-anchors with the roll
out.

Glen <charlielar...@madasafish.com> wrote in message

John Reddington

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Any idea about dates for other areas, particularly Edinburgh???

As for prices, does anyone have an idea of the kind of ballpark charges we
can expect?

Also, what kind of speeds can we expect?

Thanks

John Reddington

mutialte_Brian <mutilat...@altavista.net> wrote in message

Christopher Thoday

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Has a cablemodem user can I have my say.......Thankyou

I have had a cablemodem from ntl: since August and despite a long testing
program by ntl: the service is still very poor. I have been told by ntl: that
the service will get better as they upgrade their network but I think this
proves that Telewest have a long way to go before they even consider launching
a service.

I pay £40 a month for my cablemodem service. (Cable purchased at a cost of
£169)

Andy Funnell

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Hey Charlie :

When you do find out, can you tell me, oh enlightened one ?

Now where did you hide those matches ?

<grin>

Andy

In article <s40nc0...@corp.supernews.com>,

mutialte_Brian

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Yes, yes, how very nice for you, but we are talking about Telewest. NTL
rushed it out unfinished, not all of the nodes etc are in place. but at
least you have a cable modem!! I also live near Basildon, and a friend down
the road from me was part of the telewest tests. I hear that Telewest are
planning to 'bundle' cable modems within there digital TV home user boxes.
probably causing the delay, as all the various franchise areas make one
concerted push to get there digital TV services launched. Telewest cable
modem is practically ready to go! they just want to be able to charge us
more by 'bundling' it with digital TV, and a few other token offers. also
NTL made people buy there modems, allegedly no so with Telewest. the modems
sections will be available as a 'buy as you rent' type of thing. I have also
heard that the newsgroup hosting on NTL leaves a lot to be desired! can you
clarify this, as if Telewest hosting will be just as bad, then people may
have to have another account with a news server, incurring further expense.
and thank you too, sir.

Christopher Thoday <chris....@net.ntl.com> wrote in message

> Has a cablemodem user can I have my say.......Thankyou
>
> I have had a cablemodem from ntl: since August and despite a long testing
> program by ntl: the service is still very poor. I have been told by ntl:
that
> the service will get better as they upgrade their network but I think this
> proves that Telewest have a long way to go before they even consider
launching
> a service.
>
> I pay £40 a month for my cablemodem service. (Cable purchased at a cost of
> £169)
>
> mutialte_Brian wrote:
>
> > allegedly Jan 2k. price? - they don't even seem to know! testing is
already
> > done and complete, last year. they are just being w-anchors with the
roll
> > out.

Mike Fisher

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

mutialte_Brian <mutilat...@altavista.net> wrote in message
> allegedly Jan 2k. price? - they don't even seem to know! testing is
already
> done and complete, last year. they are just being w-anchors with the roll
> out.

The following is my understanding of the situation, it is not an official
statement and does not contain anything said or mailed to me by a TW / CI
person... ;-) That said - it does also contain a few logical assumptions
from me:

Pricing has yet to be determined, though it is likely that they'll introduce
a tiered service with several bandwidth / price options. Your comment about
the testing is not true. As it stands right now, the only users that have
any cable modems are the engineers themselves. The testing of the final
product (likely to be from 3com) by actual users is due to start in Jan
2000. The test will be limited to an (unspecified) area in the South East.

Subject to that test being successful, the first areas will go live at the
end of Q1 2000, i.e. March or April time. It is envisaged that the roll out
will be very swift, covering all areas quite quickly - although I have not
been given any clues as to exact timescales. There has been no hint at which
areas will go live first, although it seems logical that it would follow the
pattern set by the Active Digital roll out.

With regard to bandwidth, (v. senior) Telewest engineers have hinted that
the base product will be 256Kbps (128Kbps upstream), at a price undercutting
the current (abortive) NTL product. It is my understanding that the upstream
limit will be the same for all downstream bandwidth options.

Users will not be allowed to run servers from non-business accounts. This
does not imply that they *will* allow servers for business accounts.
However, they are busily putting in place technology to safely allow the use
of on-line gaming etc. TW seem determined to stop the fate of our US cousins
becoming a reality here. [1]

It is likely that the service will be run through TW's existing ISP
business, "Cable Internet". It seems that CI have learned the lessons from
NTL's abortive attempt at launching, as they are currently upgrading various
strategic parts of their services in order to better service the higher
demand imposed by broadband connections.

Now, if you know how to "check headers", then you'll probably guess how I
got hold of some of this info. <g>

HTH. Don't be too hard on them. It looks like they'll make a good fist of
this.

Unlike NTL.

[1] Our stateside cousins have experienced lots of problems with selfish
idiots running warez / porn servers from home. Given the shared nature of
cable modem bandwidth - it only takes a few of them to spoil the show for
everyone.

mutialte_Brian

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99
er, mike. the testing bit *IS* true. I have seen and used one of the
official test modems. I can put you in touch with the guy if you like! and
yes this was last year. are you trying to tell me what I have/haven't seen?
we were downloading from tucows at 46.3Kbps! once upon a time time telewest
had a much earlier release date. but as you correctly said, there is big
push to get digital up and running. yes indeed telewest are learning from
NTL's mistakes. thank you for reiterating the rest of my post. (if you read
a little further down the thread you would find it) also I quite agree
about the warez and porn bandwidth hoggers.
now kindly remove your face from your arse or foot from mouth whichever is
more appropriate.
: )

Mike Fisher <wh...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

Mike Fisher

Dec 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/5/99

> er, mike. the testing bit *IS* true. I have seen and used one of the
> official test modems. I can put you in touch with the guy if you like! and
> yes this was last year. are you trying to tell me what I have/haven't
seen?
> we were downloading from tucows at 46.3Kbps! once upon a time time
telewest
> had a much earlier release date.

Was it a 3Com product, small white box, styled just like their hubs ?

My contacts inside TW/CI tell me that they've only just finalised the choice
of modem itself - apparently there was some real indescision about which
vendors CM to use.

The point of the final test in Q1 next year, (again - as I understand it) is
to field test this finally selected 3Com CM in the hands of real users.

With regard to the earlier release date, yes they did. When I directly asked
the person currently in control of the TW CM project about that, he made a
comment along the lines of: (it was a while ago now, this comment is my
interpretation of what he said)

"We've spent some time trialling the different technologies, and have now
settled on the communications standards we're going to use. The one thing we
don't want to do, is to roll out before anyone else. The CM product is still
in it's infancy, and there is a lot more to rolling this technology out than
simply proving it works. If we look at some of the terrible experiences that
the Americans have had, it's clear that we need to plan this carefully.
We'll wait until one of our 'competitors'[1] rolls out, and then watch and
learn."

> but as you correctly said, there is big
> push to get digital up and running. yes indeed telewest are learning from
> NTL's mistakes. thank you for reiterating the rest of my post. (if you
read
> a little further down the thread you would find it)

Unfortuneately, the NNTP server CInet currently use is not that good. If I
missed anything you said in a previous post - blame them.

> also I quite agree
> about the warez and porn bandwidth hoggers.

Amen.

> now kindly remove your face from your arse or foot from mouth whichever is
> more appropriate.
> : )

Why, thank you for your kind comments. (I think) <g>

[1] - Of course, they have no real competitors yet....

Digital.Diablo

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Right.....

Current Southwest.Midlands Launch Date is Mar31st.
Some testing has taken place, but Major testing starts Jan 2k.

Current estimates are £30-£40 and Bandwith is gonna be about 6mb/s.

mutialte_Brian <mutilat...@altavista.net> wrote in message

> allegedly Jan 2k. price? - they don't even seem to know! testing is
already
> done and complete, last year. they are just being w-anchors with the roll
> out.

Chris Norris

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
> Current estimates are £30-£40 and Bandwith is gonna be about 6mb/s.

Yes, but how much bandwidth people get in practise is another matter!

Simon Zerafa

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
Hi Mike,

Do you have any further technical information on how the TW Cable System
will work (when it is eventually released<g>)

I take it that you will need to install a Network card in your PC to take
the data feed from the modem and that you will in effect be connected to a
Wide Area Network.

Do you know what protocols will be needed (other that TCP/IP) and how TW
plans to handle firewall issues?

Regards

Zed
--

"Mike Fisher" <wh...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

> mutialte_Brian <mutilat...@altavista.net> wrote in message
> > allegedly Jan 2k. price? - they don't even seem to know! testing is
> already
> > done and complete, last year. they are just being w-anchors with the
roll
> > out.

The japper

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
In article <82ufe0$57e$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>,

"Digital.Diablo" <Digital...@Deathsdoor.com> wrote:
> Right.....
>
> Current Southwest.Midlands Launch Date is Mar31st.

No- South East (Gillingham / Basildon) is 31st Mar, everywhere else is
TBA

> Some testing has taken place, but Major testing starts Jan 2k.

Yes

> Current estimates are £30-£40 and Bandwith is gonna be about 6mb/s.

<snip>

I don't know where you got 6mb/s from- it's actually going to be 512k/
sec at launch. As for price nothing has been announced as the comp[any
is still deciding but my sources suggest you might be a little under on
your estimates, unfortunatley.

The Japper
--
Have a good time, all of the time. That's it. That's what it's all about

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.