BBC4 stream changes

Michael Uplawski

Feb 18, 2023, 7:23:02 AM2/18/23
Good afternoon.
(from France, my English blabla.., you will survive, but bare with my lack
of perfection)

I am listening to BBC4 via an Internet-Radio. Today I heard that the
respective stream will seize to work in mid 2023. Just a moment ago, I
tried to find the information on the BBC Web-site, but unfortunately it is
almost unusable and quite obviously not meant to be consulted in the way I
have. Even the word “radio” is hardly used anywhere ...

Maybe I am doing it all wrong but Web-sites always work in one way or
other. This one just does not help.

Question: Does anyone of you have the address of a stream address
(beginning with http://) which will *continue to work* after the announced
changes?

I can add Internet radio-stations to my radio, if I can find that address.

Thank you and have a nice week-end, all.

Cheerio

Michael

Liz Tuddenham

Feb 18, 2023, 11:09:13 AM2/18/23
Michael Uplawski <michael....@uplawski.eu> wrote:

[...]
> Question: Does anyone of you have the address of a stream address
> (beginning with http://) which will *continue to work* after the announced
> changes?

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I am replying
just to let you know there are still people here and the group is not
dead.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Michael Uplawski

Feb 18, 2023, 3:50:38 PM2/18/23
Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:07:47 +0000 / Liz Tuddenham:

> Michael Uplawski <michael....@uplawski.eu> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Question: Does anyone of you have the address of a stream address
>> (beginning with http://) which will *continue to work* after the
>> announced changes?
>
> I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I am replying
> just to let you know there are still people here and the group is not
> dead.

Thank you ;)
But I remember another exchange, here, and that it is not exactly a high-
volume newsgroup. Computers do no longer make me nervous and even BBC-4
means technology, mostly. Disposable, in other words. ;)

If the stream is gone it is gone.

Cheerio

Michael

Nick Odell

Feb 18, 2023, 9:34:51 PM2/18/23
Hello Michael.

Short answer: I don't know.

I'm currently streaming from Argentina using links which look like
this:

"BBC - Radio 1"=>"http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_one"

"BBC - Radio 2"=>"http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_two"

"BBC - Radio
3"=>"http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_three"

"BBC - Radio
4"=>"http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_fourfm"

etc.,

but I have no idea whether or not they will expire later in the year.

If those links fail then we will both be in the same boat but I think
that there is a very good chance that the folk over at
uk.tech.broadcast will know what is going on and what to do about it,

Nick

Michael Uplawski

Feb 19, 2023, 2:55:35 AM2/19/23
Sun, 19 Feb 2023 02:34:43 +0000 / Nick Odell:
Thank you Nick.

I consider this the answer to my original question and will give this URL
a try. As I cannot, by other means, get information on the topic, this is
the best that I can hope for, now.

Side-note and terrible rant (remainder of the post)..: I had – again –
forgotten that, although the BBC has its own Internet infrastructure,
to receive mail from Microsoft®, Google® and similar, their reactions are
dumped on reception.

My bet is, that they have a complex organisation for documents, which
includes mail, and that, therefore, outlook.com is part of some “system”
that you have to use anyway, whatever you do, wherever you are, to
whatever purpose. I continue to be abject about how *we*, as uninvolved as
we are, are dragged into this machinery, which should be none of our
business.

If the BBC, like others, just exploded and one of the remaining pieces
could be called “radio”, I would be overjoyed. Radio-France, ici, may be
worse or not, they appear to be more incompetent; but getting rid of “The
Internet” becomes an option for me.

Cheerio.

Jerome Fandor

Feb 26, 2023, 6:05:42 AM2/26/23
"Michael Uplawski" <michael....@uplawski.eu> wrote in message
> Sun, 19 Feb 2023 02:34:43 +0000 / Nick Odell:
>
>> "BBC - Radio 4"=>"http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_fourfm"
>
> Thank you Nick.
>
> I consider this the answer to my original question and will give this URL
> a try. As I cannot, by other means, get information on the topic, this is
> the best that I can hope for, now.
>
> Side-note and terrible rant (remainder of the post)..: I had - again -
> forgotten that, although the BBC has its own Internet infrastructure,
> to receive mail from Microsoft®, Google® and similar, their reactions are
> dumped on reception.
>
> My bet is, that they have a complex organisation for documents, which
> includes mail, and that, therefore, outlook.com is part of some "system"
> that you have to use anyway, whatever you do, wherever you are, to
> whatever purpose. I continue to be abject about how *we*, as uninvolved as
> we are, are dragged into this machinery, which should be none of our
> business.
>
> If the BBC, like others, just exploded and one of the remaining pieces
> could be called "radio", I would be overjoyed. Radio-France, ici, may be
> worse or not, they appear to be more incompetent; but getting rid of "The
> Internet" becomes an option for me.
>
> Cheerio.

Maybe you can use a proxy like
https://www.proxysite.com/
then put your url in.

Or you use the Pirate Bay proxy to connect to DuckDuckGo.

The proxy currently thinks I am in Switzerland, a country with EU links.

Michael Uplawski

Feb 26, 2023, 3:25:43 PM2/26/23
Jerome Fandor wrote:
> > Maybe you can use a proxy like
> https://www.proxysite.com/
> then put your url in.

Thank you. If I need it or believe that I need it, I can use anything
via Tor or start the Torbrowser right away.
But privacy is not exactly what I was talking about, above, even if
the need to protect myself arises from the incompetence of some Internet
operators, state agencies or companies.

One of my ingenious bosses once said that “... when things start to
become complicated, an error has already been comitted.” Unfortunately,
I cannot – even twenty years later – disagree with him. I feel that
the Internet *is* complicated and that some inconveniences are
unavoidable. But my experience tells me that, in deed, most of it
could have been avoided.

Companies like the BBC and all those which gave up their skill in order
to dissolve in the Internet, must contradict.

Cheerio

Michael