Pygmalion - why but good

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 4, 2017, 11:15:48 AM6/4/17
I've just listened to the second half of Pygmalion (which some may know
as the plot to My Fair Lady) on Radio 4. (If it's the same as last week,
it'll be repeated - Saturday night I think. Or I'm sure it's available
on something.)

I do find myself asking _why_ they've done yet another version - there
are the two films (the non-musical one with Wendy Hillier, and of course
My Fair Lady), and I'd also be very surprised if it hasn't been done on
radio before.

But it is very good, and I commend it to the house!

[I'm rather cross that I can't cross-post this, but UMRA - or parts of
it - has/have a hissy fit if anyone cross-posts at all, even if they say
they are doing so. So I'll have to multipost, which I normally
disapprove of.]

age. fac ut gaudeam.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 4, 2017, 11:35:56 AM6/4/17
In article <L6tycIF+...@soft255.demon.co.uk>, on Sun, 4 Jun 2017,
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <ju...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote
>I've just listened to the second half of Pygmalion (which some may know

second part, not second half.
[]

Robert Carnegie

Jun 4, 2017, 12:01:05 PM6/4/17
On Sunday, 4 June 2017 16:15:48 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> I've just listened to the second half of Pygmalion (which some may know
> as the plot to My Fair Lady) on Radio 4. (If it's the same as last week,
> it'll be repeated - Saturday night I think. Or I'm sure it's available
> on something.)
>
> I do find myself asking _why_ they've done yet another version - there
> are the two films (the non-musical one with Wendy Hillier, and of course
> My Fair Lady), and I'd also be very surprised if it hasn't been done on
> radio before.
>
> But it is very good, and I commend it to the house!

Rummaging in the "BBC Genome" web site -
there seem to have been BBC radio productions
in 1951, 1968, and 1986 (90 minutes,
Imelda Staunton, Simon Cadell). That's been
repeated on BBC7.

I'm afraid my brain is stuck on thinking about
versions of "The Importance of Being Earnest",
and what they decide to do with the "handbag" line.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 4, 2017, 12:20:06 PM6/4/17
In article <07a9c0c9-679b-4cce...@googlegroups.com>, on
Sun, 4 Jun 2017, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote
>On Sunday, 4 June 2017 16:15:48 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> I've just listened to the second half of Pygmalion (which some may know
>> as the plot to My Fair Lady) on Radio 4. (If it's the same as last week,
>> it'll be repeated - Saturday night I think. Or I'm sure it's available
>> on something.)

Though not, apparently, a podcast, as I understand the term (i. e. an
mp3 file).

>> I do find myself asking _why_ they've done yet another version - there
>> are the two films (the non-musical one with Wendy Hillier, and of course
>> My Fair Lady), and I'd also be very surprised if it hasn't been done on
>> radio before.
>>
>> But it is very good, and I commend it to the house!
>
>Rummaging in the "BBC Genome" web site -
>there seem to have been BBC radio productions
>in 1951, 1968, and 1986 (90 minutes,
>Imelda Staunton, Simon Cadell). That's been
>repeated on BBC7.
>
>I'm afraid my brain is stuck on thinking about
>versions of "The Importance of Being Earnest",
>and what they decide to do with the "handbag" line.

We did that at school: one of my friends (he made a magnificent Lady
Bracknell) delivered the hendbeg line with considerable aplomb.

aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes.

Peter Percival

Jun 4, 2017, 1:52:51 PM6/4/17
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In article <07a9c0c9-679b-4cce...@googlegroups.com>, on
> Sun, 4 Jun 2017, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote

>> I'm afraid my brain is stuck on thinking about
>> versions of "The Importance of Being Earnest",
>> and what they decide to do with the "handbag" line.
>
> We did that at school: one of my friends (he made a magnificent Lady
> Bracknell) delivered the hendbeg line with considerable aplomb.

The line is immaterial.

to me what you really mean.

Robert Carnegie

Jun 4, 2017, 6:55:07 PM6/4/17
On Sunday, 4 June 2017 18:52:51 UTC+1, Peter Percival wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> > In article <07a9c0c9-679b-4cce...@googlegroups.com>, on
> > Sun, 4 Jun 2017, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote
>
> >> I'm afraid my brain is stuck on thinking about
> >> versions of "The Importance of Being Earnest",
> >> and what they decide to do with the "handbag" line.
> >
> > We did that at school: one of my friends (he made a magnificent Lady
> > Bracknell) delivered the hendbeg line with considerable aplomb.
>
> The line is immaterial.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 5, 2017, 3:14:53 AM6/5/17
In article <2404c932-64f2-49d9...@googlegroups.com>, on
Sun, 4 Jun 2017, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote
>On Sunday, 4 June 2017 18:52:51 UTC+1, Peter Percival wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> > In article <07a9c0c9-679b-4cce...@googlegroups.com>, on
>> > Sun, 4 Jun 2017, Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote

>> > We did that at school: one of my friends (he made a magnificent Lady
>> > Bracknell) delivered the hendbeg line with considerable aplomb.
>>
>> The line is immaterial.
>
>I wish I'd said that! :-)

You will, Oscar, you will ...

Find out what works. Then do it. That's my system. I'm always surprised it
isn't more popular. - Scott Adams, 2015

Madrigal Gurneyhalt

Jun 5, 2017, 7:07:28 AM6/5/17
On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 16:14:06 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> I do find myself asking _why_ they've done yet another version - there
> are the two films (the non-musical one with Wendy Hillier, and of course
> My Fair Lady), and I'd also be very surprised if it hasn't been done on
> radio before.

Two films? I make it at least 5, plus at least the same number of TV
adaptations. For actresses, Eliza Doolittle is the Hamlet or Lear they all
want to essay. You can expect a new production, adaptation or retelling of
the story at least every three years.