Anyone old enough to remember BBC Light Program ?

Kentish Contractor

Mar 11, 2002, 4:23:02 PM3/11/02
Many years ago, before BBC Light Program split and became Radio's 1
and 2, there was a country and western show called "Smokey Mountain
Jamboree". As far as I remember, it was live from somewhere.
Does anyone else remember this show, and if so, who were the artists?
Regards
Derek
der...@blueyonder.co.uk

Julie

Mar 12, 2002, 7:12:02 PM3/12/02

Kentish Contractor <ken...@ADTRAP.co.uk> wrote in message

> Many years ago, before BBC Light Program split and became Radio's 1
> and 2, there was a country and western show called "Smokey Mountain
> Jamboree". As far as I remember, it was live from somewhere.
> Does anyone else remember this show, and if so, who were the artists?
Sorry, can't help. Google Search comes up with a few light programme
websites, but alas no
mention of Smoky Mountain Jamboree. (Not everything is on the internet
yet, is it). I thought that maybe Wally Whyton
or Bert Weedon may have had some connection with the programme you
mention, but they came later. I can just about remember Family
Favourites and the Housewives Choice signature tune which I think were both
on the light programme. Julie

Geoff Leonard

Mar 12, 2002, 8:38:30 PM3/12/02
In article <ip7q8uk3eep4c6an0...@4ax.com>, Kentish
Contractor <ken...@ADTRAP.co.uk> writes

I don't remember it but happen to know an episode was broadcast on Whit
Monday 15th May, 1959. Artists appearing were:

The Maple Leaf Four
Louise Howard
Gaby
Zeke
Ezra
Jim Hawthorn
Slim Weston and his Smokey Mountain Boys.

It was a 'BBC recording' but there is no evidence it was recorded 'live
from anywhere', though of course other episodes might have been.

Geoff

Brian Watson

Mar 13, 2002, 3:33:05 AM3/13/02

"Geoff Leonard" <ge...@imdb.com> wrote in message

> I don't remember it but happen to know an episode was broadcast on Whit
> Monday 15th May, 1959. Artists appearing were:
>
> The Maple Leaf Four
> Louise Howard
> Gaby
> Zeke
> Ezra
> Jim Hawthorn
> Slim Weston and his Smokey Mountain Boys.

And I bet they all lived in Middlesex. Or Surrey.

But not Tennessee.

:-)

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Kentish Contractor

Mar 13, 2002, 4:20:26 AM3/13/02
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:38:30 GMT, Geoff Leonard <ge...@imdb.com>
wrote:

>I don't remember it but happen to know an episode was broadcast on Whit
>Monday 15th May, 1959. Artists appearing were:
>
>The Maple Leaf Four
>Louise Howard
>Gaby
>Zeke
>Ezra
>Jim Hawthorn
>Slim Weston and his Smokey Mountain Boys.
>
>It was a 'BBC recording' but there is no evidence it was recorded 'live
>from anywhere', though of course other episodes might have been.
>
>Geoff

Are you the same geoff Leonard that worked for Radio Kent?

Regards
Derek
ken...@NOSPAM.co.uk

Geoff Leonard

Mar 13, 2002, 4:39:26 AM3/13/02
In article <db6u8ugeif4qs0t2i...@4ax.com>, Kentish
Contractor <ken...@ADTRAP.co.uk> writes

No, although I wrote a couple of programmes for Radio Bristol once!

Geoff

Linda Casey

Mar 13, 2002, 4:47:03 PM3/13/02
The message <a6m5gh$kmg$1...@helle.btinternet.com>
from "Julie" <juli...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> contains these words:

Denis Gifford's The Golden Age of Radio says
Smokey Mountain Jubilee
Canadian singing group The Maple Leaf Four "invite you to a
get-together western style in the old barn" from 31 May 1956. The
Four played Gabby, Ezra, Zeke and Happy Pappy. Also appearing were
Louise Howard, Jim Hawthorne, Slim Weston and his Smokey Mountain Boys.

Is that what you were thinking of?

Linda

jan.ki...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2014, 1:27:59 PM4/16/14
On Monday, 11 March 2002 23:23:04 UTC+2, Kentish Contractor wrote:
> Many years ago, before BBC Light Program split and became Radio's 1
> and 2, there was a country and western show called "Smokey Mountain
> Jamboree". As

Hi, I certainly do remember the programme. My father was one of the Maple Leaf Four a Canadian harmony group. They were very popular and successful just after the war and through the fifties. It was their show. they played Gabby, Zeke and Ezra with my father playing Pappy. I used to love it as a child. the quartet were very popular and as a child I travelled all over the country with them when they were in Variety shows for summer seasons and pantomimes. they appeared with many top stars of the era

Garry

Apr 17, 2014, 11:07:51 AM4/17/14
Hi Derek,

I can tell you, the Artists were the Maple Leaf Four, Jimmy Hawthorne, Louise Howard, Libby Morris and Slim Weston and his Smokey Mountain Band.
Itwas actually pre recorded and put out on a wednesday or a thursday 8.oopm
My Father was Jimmy Hawthorne and I am in contact with the BBC about the original scripts and recordings I have from the show.

regards
Garry

I just noticed your post dated 2002, hope yuor well.

ken...@googlemail.com

May 23, 2014, 10:44:48 AM5/23/14
I remember the program and I used to enjoy it but I can't remember any details - sorry!

Paul Ratcliffe

May 23, 2014, 11:08:06 AM5/23/14
Why are you responding to a 12 year old message???

Ah, yes, a Google Groups luser.

gerald...@hotmail.co.uk

Mar 29, 2015, 8:46:55 AM3/29/15
I remember the programme well and used to enjoy the yodelling of Big Jim. I am trying to get the lyrics to the closing song every week: "The Clock On The Wall". I remember the first verse very well and frequently sing it. I would like to find the rest of the song.

Can anyone help?

jan.ki...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 1:36:42 AM6/30/15
Hi Gerry

Any chance of you sending me some stuff/recordings from the show. My father was John MacLeod one of the Maple a Leaf Four and unfortunately almost all of his stuff was list in a house move. He later went on to be a successful song writer / producer . Jan

john.b...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 15, 2015, 7:36:04 PM11/15/15
Hi! Very late to this thread but I certainly remember the programme. One of my favourites to listen to under the bedclothes!

I always enjoyed the comedy songs but I can only remember one title, maybe someone has a recording or knows more about the shows.

The song I remember? "I've got tears in my ears from lying on my back in my bed while I cry over you"!

They don't write them like that any more .....

john.b...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 15, 2015, 7:41:15 PM11/15/15
Update! That song is out there on YouTube and it's every bit as bad as I remember it all those years ago. Just search by title.

raywh...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2015, 12:33:34 AM11/23/15
I remember the song at the end of each show,the clock on the wall says its time to be leaving.I"ve no idea who sang it though.Not much help I"m afraid.

Sharon Crompton

Jul 22, 2022, 11:49:24 AM7/22/22
I used to listen to the programme regularly
Can anyone let me have any recordings of any of the shows, thanks very much Sharon
Email sharoncro...@gmail.com

Evelyn Smith

Nov 9, 2022, 6:25:59 AM11/9/22
Jim Hawthorne was my Grandfather's brother . Robert Hawthorne, and their big sister Madge played a large part in my life. One of their recordings was played regularly on Family favourites on a Saturday morning :)