Y’all asleep?!

Mike McMillan

Feb 18, 2024, 5:18:36 AMFeb 18
Just that really.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Vicky

Feb 18, 2024, 6:08:14 AMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:18:34 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodl...@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Just that really.

I was testing how far I could drive before my arm began aching and
caught a chunk of the omnibus. Harry was really obnoxious during the
mini golf and David was in the bar. Sad that Kenton seems to have
ptsd. I got home before Harry got drunk. Harrison was lovely. I do
wish Fallon wouls change her mind and get pregnant, or get pregnant
and change her mind.

PYoung

Feb 18, 2024, 6:35:25 AMFeb 18
I must admit I am at a bit of a loose end. I managed to obtain some Rich Tea Fingers yesterday - at a Garden Centre near Lowestoft. They have a short shelf life so are probably old stock. But never mind, they are finger shaped and small enough to dunk. I do like the challenge of having something to search for.

Rather than give up chocolate for Lent this year, I decided to throw out something each day. Day one, I started with old uninteresting magazines and continued with holey (Mike, that is things with holes - not Holy) smalls and useless bits of stationery. By Easter, I shall probably be throwing out things I need.

Pauline

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 18, 2024, 7:35:10 AMFeb 18
In message <7cbcf0f6f4e7275f...@www.novabbs.com> at Sun, 18
Feb 2024 11:31:18, PYoung <doca...@gmail.com> writes
>I must admit I am at a bit of a loose end. I managed to obtain some
>Rich Tea Fingers yesterday - at a Garden Centre near Lowestoft. They
>have a short shelf life so are probably old stock. But never mind,
>they are finger shaped and small enough to dunk. I do like the
>challenge of having something to search for.

I do to a certain extent, but it often palls - especially in
supermarkets. I've ONCE - in 40+ years - seen a "X that was here is now
in aisle Y" sign. There is always the suspicion that they hope, while
looking for something, you'll see other things you wouldn't otherwise
have bought.

I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

>Rather than give up chocolate for Lent this year, I decided to throw
>out something each day. Day one, I started with old uninteresting

An impending case had a similar effect on me - lots of stuff to-the-dump
(which always makes me think William Tell/Lone Ranger); one visit I had
so many computers (of the kept-as-they-might-be-useful-some-day) and the
like that I even had to fill in a form at the dump to say they were all
from a private home, not a business!

>magazines and continued with holey (Mike, that is things with holes -
>not Holy) smalls and useless bits of stationery. By Easter, I shall

I rather like the concept of Holy smalls! Though "useless bits of
stationery" - does not compute, in the same way for manyrats a chocolate
store doesn't.

>probably be throwing out things I need.

(-:

>Pauline
John

"Does Barbie come with Ken?"
"Barbie comes with G.I. Joe. She fakes it with Ken." - anonymous

Vicky

Feb 18, 2024, 8:36:08 AMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
that are no longer where they were.

Wenlock

Feb 18, 2024, 8:50:17 AMFeb 18
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
[Is "therefrom" a word in
> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
therewithin.

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.

*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.

Joe Kerr

Feb 18, 2024, 8:56:39 AMFeb 18
Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout too ...

--
Ric

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 18, 2024, 10:25:11 AMFeb 18
In message <uqt2ak$150b9$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56:34,
Joe Kerr <joe_...@cheerful.com> writes
>On 18/02/2024 13:36, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally
>>>two or
>>> three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>>> what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>>> they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>>> code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>>> therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>> JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
>> as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
>> the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
>> that are no longer where they were.

I said as much elsewhere in the post.

>Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
>looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
>idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout
>too ...

Hadn't thought of that! Yes, good move, as I now usually _do_ shop at
two supermarkets. Trouble is, it's usually Lidl first, and they're _not_
usually guilty of moving stuff about: if something isn't in its usual
place, it's out of stock (or, occasionally, they've stopped stocking
it). I can only think of one or two occasions I've been aware of a move,
and that then stayed in the new position.

as St Augustine says, feeling resentment is like drinking poison and waiting
for the other person to die. Ed Stourton, in RT 2023/1/21-27

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 18, 2024, 10:35:14 AMFeb 18
In message <uqt1un$14osv$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
Wenlock <wenloc...@googlemail.com> writes
I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin! Though therefore
_is_ different to the others - therefor matches them better.

I also like the nine words h-|wh-|th- -ere|-ence|-ither, rather than the
xxx from and xxx to word pairs, but I realise they're considered archaic
nowadays, unlike their German. (Oh, and -with, and probably others,
quite likely many from the above list!)

>*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.

Ah, would that be Zimmerman's? (-:

Nick Odell

Feb 18, 2024, 10:49:49 AMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

Some stores have barcode scanners so that you may check that the price
of an item is what you think it is. As for the terminals to find the
location of stuff, I think these days one is expected to download the
supermarket's "app" onto ones mobile phone. (Me neither.)

Nick

Nick Odell

Feb 18, 2024, 10:52:21 AMFeb 18
Aha! That would be the quote from Henry Crumb to Minnie Bannister,
then!

Nick

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 18, 2024, 11:40:13 AMFeb 18
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk> writes:

> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024
> 13:50:15, Wenlock <wenloc...@googlemail.com> writes
>>J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>[Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>>It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>>thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>>thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>>thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>>theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>>therewithin.
>>
>>I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>
> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin! Though
> therefore _is_ different to the others - therefor matches them better.
>
> I also like the nine words h-|wh-|th- -ere|-ence|-ither, rather than
> the xxx from and xxx to word pairs, but I realise they're considered
> archaic nowadays, unlike their German. (Oh, and -with, and probably
> others, quite likely many from the above list!)
>>
>>*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.
>
> Ah, would that be Zimmerman's? (-:

I understand that Bob takes against people who call him that.

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 18, 2024, 11:41:47 AMFeb 18
Mike McMillan <toodl...@virginmedia.com> writes:

> Just that really.

Have you suddenly turned Texan, young McToodles?

Rosie

Mike McMillan

Feb 18, 2024, 12:20:32 PMFeb 18
No, just lazy😉

Vicky

Feb 18, 2024, 1:05:03 PMFeb 18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56:34 +0000, Joe Kerr <joe_...@cheerful.com>
wrote:
If I can find a member of staff I ask them.

Sam Plusnet

Feb 18, 2024, 2:43:20 PMFeb 18
This is a "it depends on where you live" sort of thing.

Most of our groceries are delivered, so I don't go to supermarkets very
often, but if I do visit the nearest one (eTsco) I would have to drive
another 4 miles or so to visit another.

P.S. I just remembered that there is a new Aldi only 2 miles from the
first, but it's so placed that it's an absolute sod to escape (it
debouches onto a roundabout, where the oncoming traffic zooms past far
too quickly for you to egress).

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 18, 2024, 2:46:03 PMFeb 18
On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
> Wenlock <wenloc...@googlemail.com> writes
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>> It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>> thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>> thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>> thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>> theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>> therewithin.
>>
>> I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>
> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!

Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
it would be used to treat.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 18, 2024, 2:47:20 PMFeb 18
On 18-Feb-24 17:20, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Rosie Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodl...@virginmedia.com> writes:
>>
>>> Just that really.
>>
>> Have you suddenly turned Texan, young McToodles?
>>
>> Rosie
>>

> No, just lazy😉

That "Y'all" was really a stifled yawn.

--
Sam Plusnet

john ashby

Feb 18, 2024, 5:08:59 PMFeb 18
My first thought was thuranglilitis, but of course that's an ondes martinu.

There are theremin pillars in the Wonderlab, the hands-on kids zone in
the Science Museum and a working standard theremin in the Bate
Collection of Musical Instruments in the University of Oxford.

john

nick

Feb 18, 2024, 9:10:23 PMFeb 18
...which all of a sudden reminded me of the recently late Jeremy Montagu.
I see there is now a Jeremy Montagu collection at the museum. I never met
him but from correspondence I took him to be both deeply knowledgeable and
kindly. Many years ago I had a couple of "papers" published in a journal
that he edited. I say "papers" because they weren't really any more
scholarly than the stuff I used to write for the monthly music mags but
he seemed happy to tolerate my submissions.

Nick

Jane Vernon

Feb 19, 2024, 3:48:38 AMFeb 19
OTOH, from "You Gotta Serve Somebody"

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me RJ, you may call me Ray
You may call me anything, no matter what you say
You're still gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Yes, you're gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Well, it may be the Devil and it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Mike McMillan

Feb 19, 2024, 4:05:45 AMFeb 19
Hand Tremors?

john ashby

Feb 19, 2024, 4:59:04 AMFeb 19
Natural vibrato.

john

Jenny M Benson

Feb 19, 2024, 5:44:13 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 09:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
>> it would be used to treat.
>>
> Hand Tremors?

VG!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Chris

Feb 20, 2024, 1:59:48 PMFeb 20

Nick Odell

Feb 21, 2024, 5:44:23 PMFeb 21
On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:04:57 +0000, Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com>
When they reopened after doing a complete remodelling of the local
eTsoc store (anti-clockwise[1]) they had members of staff handing out
floor plans with the new positions of things clearly mapped.

Didn't last that way for long, though.

Nick
[1]At least to begin with. After that it's every man/woman for
themselves

Nick Odell

Feb 21, 2024, 5:47:37 PMFeb 21
C'mon now Sam. You live in Wales.

a) That car may be nudging the speed limit but isn't that 20mph
nowadays? and b) That would only be one car a week anyway.

Nick

Sam Plusnet

Feb 21, 2024, 8:34:51 PMFeb 21
True.

> a) That car may be nudging the speed limit but isn't that 20mph
> nowadays? and b) That would only be one car a week anyway.

20mph applies to "restricted" roads i.e. those roads which used to have
a 30mph default limit.
This roundabout is on a dual cabbageway with a 50 or 70mph limit (they
mess around with it quite a lot - for no obvious reason)[1].

[1] It's part of one of those trunk routes which has been taken out of
the hands of the local authority, and is the plaything of the National
Highways agency. They like doing strange things for strange reasons of
their own.

--
Sam Plusnet

Vicky

Feb 22, 2024, 4:49:38 AMFeb 22
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 01:34:48 +0000, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:

>This roundabout is on a dual cabbageway with a 50 or 70mph limit (they
>mess around with it quite a lot - for no obvious reason)[1].

They do that with some roads locally. I think they want to catch
drivers out as the 50 changes to 30mph for no reason I can see, so
unless you watch carefully they can then charge you with speeding. A
nice little earner.

Jenny M Benson

Feb 22, 2024, 6:08:30 AMFeb 22
On 21/02/2024 22:44, Nick Odell wrote:
> When they reopened after doing a complete remodelling of the local
> eTsoc store (anti-clockwise[1]) they had members of staff handing out
> floor plans with the new positions of things clearly mapped.

One of the reasons why I really don't like eTsoc is because of the weird
way they shelve items. For example, I only like one particular brand of
yoghurt(1) and that comes in 2 sizes of pot. I want the small size. I
find yoghurts in the store but there are only large sizes in the brand I
want. I curse and carry on shopping and in another aisle I happen upon
the small size ones I want. But I might well have not visited that
aisle and missed out on my yoghurts.

(1) Village Dairy, made in Denbigh - well, near Denbigh: Denbigh is
hardly a village.

Mike McMillan

Feb 22, 2024, 6:38:34 AMFeb 22
No, it is a tea set innit?

Joe Kerr

Feb 22, 2024, 9:18:53 AMFeb 22
Those apps are generally aimed at online orders and rarely reflect the
reality of being in branch. I did notice yesterday that Tesco's does
have an actually going shopping option where it will tell you the
availability and aisle of products in a branch of your cheesing (TWATBILI).

--
Ric