UMRA birthday info for 8 February 2024

Birthday Monitor

Feb 8, 2024, 2:34:04 AMFeb 8
Birthday News for today, 8 February: Pauline Young.

PYoung

Feb 8, 2024, 8:00:21 AMFeb 8
Thank you. I am here lurking most of the time!

Best wishes to all who remember me and to those who don't.

Pauline

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 8, 2024, 8:17:06 AMFeb 8
Hello, stranger! I remember you! Lovely to see you back amongst us.

Rosie

PYoung

Feb 8, 2024, 8:55:17 AMFeb 8
Thank you Rosie. It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are still posting in this most old fashioned way. Chris McMillan has always kept me up to date with major events. Now I have been kicked off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start contributing.

I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult to get Rich Tea Fingers? I cannot find them anywhere around here - great big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.

Pauline

Mike McMillan

Feb 8, 2024, 8:56:45 AMFeb 8
C’mon, you know that any true Umrat cannot lurk - so de-lurk this instant
please!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Serena Blanchflower

Feb 8, 2024, 8:57:41 AMFeb 8
Happy birthday, from one of the former! I'm glad your birthday has
lured you out of lurking ;)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in

Kate B

Feb 8, 2024, 9:07:01 AMFeb 8
On 08/02/2024 12:58, PYoung wrote:
Hallo Pauline! I'm still here too, off and on, posting from far
Edinburgh (though not as far as Anne Burgess who is *really* in the north)

--
Kate B

BrritSki

Feb 8, 2024, 9:17:31 AMFeb 8
On 08/02/2024 12:58, PYoung wrote:
> Thank you.  I am here lurking most of the time!

Huzzah !

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 8, 2024, 10:05:40 AMFeb 8
Anne is considerably south of Thurso, never mind the island of Unst, so
if she's *really in the north where is Haroldswick?

Rosie

Jane Vernon

Feb 8, 2024, 10:50:19 AMFeb 8
On 08/02/2024 12:58, PYoung wrote:
Hello! I'm lurking here, more than I used to but not all the time and
only posting occasionally.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Mike McMillan

Feb 8, 2024, 11:47:02 AMFeb 8
Where ever Harold left it I imagine!

Paul Herber

Feb 8, 2024, 12:12:40 PMFeb 8
On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:53:58 +0000, doca...@gmail.com (PYoung) wrote:

>Thank you Rosie. It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are still posting in this most old fashioned way. Chris McMillan has always kept me up to date with major events. Now I have been kicked off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start contributing.
>
>I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult to get Rich Tea Fingers? I cannot find them anywhere around here - great big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.

It's Royal Scot's that I miss.
Hello Pauline. Welcome back.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

PYoung

Feb 8, 2024, 12:30:32 PMFeb 8
I imagine I am the most Easterly one still in UK. I have returned to my roots and now live a few miles from Sizewell and the "Sunrise Coast" in Suffolk.

Thank you for all your welcoming messages - I think I shall stay!

Pauline

Mike McMillan

Feb 8, 2024, 12:46:56 PMFeb 8
Good - the right decision Pauline! 😊

Sam Plusnet

Feb 8, 2024, 2:22:58 PMFeb 8
Not Rich Tea Fingers as well? We are still looking for ways around the
Great Glengettie teabag robbery. (Loose-leaf Glengettie is possible to
find, if you look hard enough, but the tea bags have gone without a trace).

The parent company (Typhoo) was sold off to a private equity firm, who
have done what such firms do.
I.E. Closed the factory (probably to make a profit by selling off the
site for housing), and 'outsourced' all the products - though our tea
bags don't seem to be sourcing from anywhere.

--
Sam Plusnet

BrritSki

Feb 8, 2024, 2:45:28 PMFeb 8
On 08/02/2024 19:22, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 08-Feb-24 13:53, PYoung wrote:
>> Thank you Rosie.  It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are
>> still posting in this most old fashioned way.  Chris McMillan has
>> always kept me up to date with major events.  Now I have been kicked
>> off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start
>> contributing.
>>
>> I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult to
>> get Rich Tea Fingers?  I cannot find them anywhere around here - great
>> big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.
>
> Not Rich Tea Fingers as well?  We are still looking for ways around the
> Great Glengettie teabag robbery.  (Loose-leaf Glengettie is possible to
> find, if you look hard enough, but the tea bags have gone without a trace).

They appear to be available on Amazon. £16 for 80.

BrritSki

Feb 8, 2024, 2:46:55 PMFeb 8
Ooops, look like that's TWO packs of 80.

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 8, 2024, 8:13:51 PMFeb 8
In message <uq342e$22jlq$1...@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:46:54,
Mike McMillan <toodl...@virginmedia.com> writes
>PYoung <doca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I imagine I am the most Easterly one still in UK. I have returned to my
>> roots and now live a few miles from Sizewell and the "Sunrise Coast"
>>in Suffolk.

I was idly looking at Google Maps (OK, I was looking at how far
something I'd bought on eBay had to come [it's coming from near Glasgow
IIRR], and zoomed in on some dot), and was interested to see that GM
marked it as "most westerly point in the UK" or something like that. (I
think the dot is St. Kilda.)

>> Thank you for all your welcoming messages - I think I shall stay!
>>
>> Pauline
>>

>Good - the right decision Pauline! 0 >
Indeed!

P. S. - OnTish! - my spelling checker suggested "Hilda" above!

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Mike McMillan

Feb 9, 2024, 4:05:02 AMFeb 9
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <uq342e$22jlq$1...@dont-email.me> at Thu, 8 Feb 2024 17:46:54,
> Mike McMillan <toodl...@virginmedia.com> writes
>> PYoung <doca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I imagine I am the most Easterly one still in UK. I have returned to my
>>> roots and now live a few miles from Sizewell and the "Sunrise Coast"
>>> in Suffolk.
>
> I was idly looking at Google Maps (OK, I was looking at how far
> something I'd bought on eBay had to come [it's coming from near Glasgow
> IIRR], and zoomed in on some dot), and was interested to see that GM
> marked it as "most westerly point in the UK" or something like that. (I
> think the dot is St. Kilda.)
>>>
>>> Thank you for all your welcoming messages - I think I shall stay!
>>>
>>> Pauline
>>>

>> Good - the right decision Pauline! 0 >
> Indeed!
>
> P. S. - OnTish! - my spelling checker suggested "Hilda" above!

That is probably where Brian would like to send the cat!

kosmo

Feb 9, 2024, 5:11:20 AMFeb 9
Me I miss Bath Olivers - they seem to have been dropped by the
supermarket chains.

Welcome back too.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Paul Herber

Feb 9, 2024, 5:14:09 AMFeb 9
On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 10:11:10 +0000, kosmo <ko...@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 8.2.24 17:12, Paul Herber wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:53:58 +0000, doca...@gmail.com (PYoung) wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Rosie. It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are still posting in this most old fashioned way. Chris McMillan has always kept me up to date with major events. Now I have been kicked off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start contributing.
>>>
>>> I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult to get Rich Tea Fingers? I cannot find them anywhere around here - great big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.
>>
>> It's Royal Scot's that I miss.
>> Hello Pauline. Welcome back.
>>

>Me I miss Bath Olivers - they seem to have been dropped by the
>supermarket chains.

Crumbs.

Vicky

Feb 9, 2024, 6:42:17 AMFeb 9
On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 10:14:07 +0000, Paul Herber
<pa...@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:

>Bath Oliver

I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes. Never had a Bath
Oliver though. Googling to see what they are.Had heard of them.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/fortts-original-bath-oliver-biscuits/002389-790-791?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAt5euBhB9EiwAdkXWOw04Myb2qOo9uHUHvmwoCnVv803NvrZteJNpNJehEVBVy1gdZiDoYRoCSqcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
seem to have them. A biscuit to have with cheese? Plain not sweet.
https://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2014/03/bath-olivers.html
I like that they are in Puck of Pook's Hill.

Jenny M Benson

Feb 9, 2024, 7:35:38 AMFeb 9
On 08/02/2024 12:58, PYoung wrote:
> Thank you.  I am here lurking most of the time!
>
> Best wishes to all who remember me and to those who don't.

<Waves> Hello, Pauline! I remember you. Sorry I missed you yesterday
- was away celebrating another birthday - but hope you had a great day.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 9, 2024, 7:54:18 AMFeb 9
In message <a93csil57h7od9f4d...@4ax.com> at Fri, 9 Feb
2024 11:42:12, Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com> writes
[]
>as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes. Never had a Bath

Like "the guy who taught us math" in My Home Town
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHaELevEHFQ)?

>Oliver though. Googling to see what they are.Had heard of them.
[]
Oh. As you were.

"EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can." - Fortunes file

Chris J Dixon

Feb 9, 2024, 7:54:21 AMFeb 9
Vicky wrote:

>I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.

Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
nice?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
ch...@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 9, 2024, 8:24:21 AMFeb 9
In message <628csihjkli9s5ldd...@4ax.com> at Fri, 9 Feb
2024 12:54:15, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes
>Vicky wrote:
>
>>I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>>as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.
>
>Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>nice?
>
>Chris

Yes, and YANA. (I didn't/don't _dis_like them, but didn't find them
anything special.)
[I think the name comes from the French placename rather than the
English word. Wikipedia probably ... yes,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_biscuit>, though it's a short
article and doesn't confirm, only repeat the allegation.]

Jenny M Benson

Feb 9, 2024, 8:35:40 AMFeb 9
On 09/02/2024 12:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
> nice?

Yes, but a little bit odd!

Mike McMillan

Feb 9, 2024, 9:30:52 AMFeb 9
Jenny M Benson <Nemo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/02/2024 12:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>> nice?
>
> Yes, but a little bit odd!

Still, it takes the biscuit, doesn’t it?!

Chris

Feb 9, 2024, 10:38:44 AMFeb 9
Welcome back Pauline!

Chuck her over some chocolate you lot. :)

Mrs McT

Chris

Feb 9, 2024, 10:38:45 AMFeb 9
It’s Tony’s pigeon now.

Mrs McT

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 9, 2024, 10:43:45 AMFeb 9
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> writes:

> On 08-Feb-24 13:53, PYoung wrote:
>> Thank you Rosie.  It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are
>> still posting in this most old fashioned way.  Chris McMillan has
>> always kept me up to date with major events.  Now I have been kicked
>> off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start
>> contributing.
>> I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult
>> to get Rich Tea Fingers?  I cannot find them anywhere around here -
>> great big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.
>
> Not Rich Tea Fingers as well? We are still looking for ways around
> the Great Glengettie teabag robbery. (Loose-leaf Glengettie is
> possible to find, if you look hard enough, but the tea bags have gone
> without a trace).

Teabags? Surely real umrats, like the denizens of Ambridge, use loose
tea in a teapot? You'll be telling me next that you brew with a teabag
in a mug, adding milk and three sugars before the boiling water!

> The parent company (Typhoo) was sold off to a private equity firm, who
> have done what such firms do.
> I.E. Closed the factory (probably to make a profit by selling off the
> site for housing), and 'outsourced' all the products - though our tea
> bags don't seem to be sourcing from anywhere.

Private Equity Firm being the new buzzphrase for what were once honestly
called asset strippers, or corporate raiders as they were called in the
banking business.

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 9, 2024, 11:30:23 AMFeb 9
Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes:

> Vicky wrote:
>
>>I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>>as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.
>
> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
> nice?
>
> Chris

I take the view that, since I seldom buy biscuits (because I know I will
eat them all in short order), when I do buy them they will be no less
than Dark Chocolate Gingers by Border Biscuits of Lanark. Or possible
Lemon Melts by the Island Bakery of Tobermory if I can find them.

Apart from being superior I know I am supporting genuine Scottish
businesses and not a Turkish-based international conglomerate.

Rosie

john ashby

Feb 9, 2024, 11:47:55 AMFeb 9
On 09/02/2024 12:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Vicky wrote:
>
>> I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>> as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.
>
> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
> nice?
>
> Chris

It's not OK, it's mandatory.

john

Mike McMillan

Feb 9, 2024, 12:49:17 PMFeb 9
Cat amongst the pigeons?!

Vicky

Feb 9, 2024, 1:01:20 PMFeb 9
On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 13:35:37 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<Nemo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 09/02/2024 12:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>> nice?
>
>Yes, but a little bit odd!

They are just skinny shortbread with sugar on top.

Vicky

Feb 9, 2024, 1:03:32 PMFeb 9
I have seen chocolate Bath Olivers somewhere today but I forget where.
That is odd as BOs are savoury and chocolate isn't usually.

Vicky

Feb 9, 2024, 1:07:18 PMFeb 9
On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 15:38:42 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.m...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Paul Herber <pa...@paulherber.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:53:58 +0000, doca...@gmail.com (PYoung) wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Rosie. It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are still
>>> posting in this most old fashioned way. Chris McMillan has always kept
>>> me up to date with major events. Now I have been kicked off Google
>>> Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start contributing.
>>>
>>> I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult to
>>> get Rich Tea Fingers? I cannot find them anywhere around here - great
>>> big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.
>>
>> It's Royal Scot's that I miss.

Wouldn't shortcake biscuits be quite like Royal Scot'?

Sam Plusnet

Feb 9, 2024, 1:34:59 PMFeb 9
On 09-Feb-24 12:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Vicky wrote:
>
>> I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>> as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.
>
> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
> nice?

Dunno, but I'm with you on that.
(I've never gotten on with coconut, since it's impossible to swallow the
stuff.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 9, 2024, 1:42:16 PMFeb 9
I was about to say they've gone up by 100% since I looked on Thursday,
but... I assume this is someone's left over stock.

I have produced a makeshift, by weighing out 6.25 gm[1] of the
loose-leaf tea into an infusion 'ball' - but it's all a bit of a faff.

[1] Those packets of 80 tea bags weigh 250gm net, & we use two bags at a
time.

We have tried a few substitutes, but nothing to date fits the bill.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 9, 2024, 1:47:07 PMFeb 9
On 09-Feb-24 15:43, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> writes:
>
>> On 08-Feb-24 13:53, PYoung wrote:
>>> Thank you Rosie.  It is always nice to see how many old BBQers are
>>> still posting in this most old fashioned way.  Chris McMillan has
>>> always kept me up to date with major events.  Now I have been kicked
>>> off Google Groups it has prompted me to pull my finger out and start
>>> contributing.
>>> I had been meaning to ask if other Umrats are finding it difficult
>>> to get Rich Tea Fingers?  I cannot find them anywhere around here -
>>> great big round ones, yes, but not the finger type.
>>
>> Not Rich Tea Fingers as well? We are still looking for ways around
>> the Great Glengettie teabag robbery. (Loose-leaf Glengettie is
>> possible to find, if you look hard enough, but the tea bags have gone
>> without a trace).
>
> Teabags? Surely real umrats, like the denizens of Ambridge, use loose
> tea in a teapot? You'll be telling me next that you brew with a teabag
> in a mug, adding milk and three sugars before the boiling water!

We must be demi-real. Loose leaf Glengettie during the day, but
Glengettie tea bags in the Teasmaid first thing in the morning[1].

>> The parent company (Typhoo) was sold off to a private equity firm, who
>> have done what such firms do.
>> I.E. Closed the factory (probably to make a profit by selling off the
>> site for housing), and 'outsourced' all the products - though our tea
>> bags don't seem to be sourcing from anywhere.
>
> Private Equity Firm being the new buzzphrase for what were once honestly
> called asset strippers, or corporate raiders as they were called in the
> banking business.

They can be called many things. Some are even printable.

[1] Well, morning-ish.

P.S. Wofe agrees with you on those Dark Chocolate Gingers by Border's.

--
Sam Plusnet

Vicky

Feb 9, 2024, 2:30:11 PMFeb 9
Are they coconut? Will try one later

john ashby

Feb 10, 2024, 4:04:46 AMFeb 10
And desecrated coconut.

john

Mike McMillan

Feb 10, 2024, 4:22:22 AMFeb 10
Do they speak in a high squeaky voice …. Oh! *Desec(r)ated*… as you were.

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 4:29:08 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:04:43 +0000, john ashby <johna...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Yes I did try one and just hadn't specially noticed the coconut. It is
slight and I like coconut, which is probably why.

Jane Vernon

Feb 10, 2024, 4:42:58 AMFeb 10
On 09/02/2024 11:42, Vicky wrote:

> I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
> as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes. Never had a Bath
> Oliver though. Googling to see what they are.Had heard of them.

The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
them. I could never understand that.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Jane Vernon

Feb 10, 2024, 4:45:56 AMFeb 10
YANAOU! I have a lifelong inability to swallow dessicated coconut,
which nobody else until now has ever understood.

Creamed coconut, coconut milk, coconut cream etc are all fine. It's the
texture of the dessicated. I can even manage small amounts of fresh
coconut.

Chris J Dixon

Feb 10, 2024, 5:04:31 AMFeb 10
Jane Vernon wrote:

>The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>them. I could never understand that.

Similarly, I have never understood why some collections of
"Biscuits for Cheese" include digestives.

Mike McMillan

Feb 10, 2024, 5:15:34 AMFeb 10
Jane Vernon <sp...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/02/2024 11:42, Vicky wrote:
>

>> I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>> as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes. Never had a Bath
>> Oliver though. Googling to see what they are.Had heard of them.
>>

> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
> them. I could never understand that.

Suggestive’s with Marmite.

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 5:17:36 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:45:53 +0000, Jane Vernon
<sp...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:

>On 09/02/2024 18:34, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>>> nice?
>>
>> Dunno, but I'm with you on that.
>> (I've never gotten on with coconut, since it's impossible to swallow the
>> stuff.)
>>

>YANAOU! I have a lifelong inability to swallow dessicated coconut,
>which nobody else until now has ever understood.
>
>Creamed coconut, coconut milk, coconut cream etc are all fine. It's the
>texture of the dessicated. I can even manage small amounts of fresh
>coconut.
Not keen on Bounty then? In those boxes of various mini choc bars
Bountys and Mars Bars are left by B .And we don't want waste, do we? I
did take a bag of Bountys to the local charity food shop.

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 5:19:26 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:04:26 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>Jane Vernon wrote:
>
>>The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>them. I could never understand that.
>
>Similarly, I have never understood why some collections of
>"Biscuits for Cheese" include digestives.
>
>Chris
Digestives with cream cheese are even nicer than tea biscuits. Ok I
never tried tea biscuits with cheese.

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 5:20:24 AMFeb 10
Can you tell from the flurry of posts that I am putting off the
obligatory morning walk?

Jenny M Benson

Feb 10, 2024, 6:43:06 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 10:17, Vicky wrote:
> Not keen on Bounty then? In those boxes of various mini choc bars
> Bountys and Mars Bars are left by B .And we don't want waste, do we? I
> did take a bag of Bountys to the local charity food shop.

I give all the Bountys (Bounties?) to my sister and she gives me all the
Snickers.

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 10, 2024, 6:43:40 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:04:26 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> Jane Vernon wrote:
>
>>The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>them. I could never understand that.
>
> Similarly, I have never understood why some collections of "Biscuits for
> Cheese" include digestives.

Because they're the best biscuits to have with cheese.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Jenny M Benson

Feb 10, 2024, 6:43:56 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:

> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
> them.  I could never understand that.

Oh no! Cheese on Digestives - to die for!

Jenny M Benson

Feb 10, 2024, 6:44:36 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 10:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Jane Vernon wrote:
>
>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>> them. I could never understand that.
> Similarly, I have never understood why some collections of
> "Biscuits for Cheese" include digestives.

Because see the post I just made before reading yours!

Jane Vernon

Feb 10, 2024, 7:26:07 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 11:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>
>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>> them.  I could never understand that.
>
> Oh no!  Cheese on Digestives - to die for!

To be fair, does dairylea spread count as cheese?

Nick Odell

Feb 10, 2024, 8:38:04 AMFeb 10
On 10 Feb 2024 11:43:37 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
<ne...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:04:26 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>> Jane Vernon wrote:
>>
>>>The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>>them. I could never understand that.
>>
>> Similarly, I have never understood why some collections of "Biscuits for
>> Cheese" include digestives.
>
>Because they're the best biscuits to have with cheese.

Or spread with butter. Ginger nuts come a close second in that regard.

Nick

Nick Odell

Feb 10, 2024, 8:40:38 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:26:04 +0000, Jane Vernon
<sp...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/02/2024 11:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>>
>>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>> them.  I could never understand that.
>>
>> Oh no!  Cheese on Digestives - to die for!
>>

>To be fair, does dairylea spread count as cheese?

That probably depends on whther the label reads "cheese" or
"cheese-flavoured derivatives of milk" or somesuch. I'm not really in
a position to find out for myself right now.

Nick

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 8:42:55 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:26:04 +0000, Jane Vernon
<sp...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/02/2024 11:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>>
>>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>> them.  I could never understand that.
>>
>> Oh no!  Cheese on Digestives - to die for!
>>

>To be fair, does dairylea spread count as cheese?

Oh, I don't much like that. Prefer cream cheese. Goat's cheese is good
too.

john ashby

Feb 10, 2024, 9:54:33 AMFeb 10
Try as hard as you can to keep it that way.

john

Jenny M Benson

Feb 10, 2024, 10:37:20 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 13:42, Vicky wrote:
> Goat's cheese is good
> too.

Oh yes with brass knobs on! (Not on the cheese, of course!)

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 10, 2024, 12:28:35 PMFeb 10
I, too, am very partial to buttered digestives.

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 10, 2024, 12:30:04 PMFeb 10
Jane Vernon <sp...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> writes:

> On 10/02/2024 11:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>>
>>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread
>>> on them.  I could never understand that.
>> Oh no!  Cheese on Digestives - to die for!
>>

> To be fair, does dairylea spread count as cheese?

Pepper the cat, who doesn't like Dreamies, is crazy about Dairylea
triangles so I have to get them in specially.

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 10, 2024, 12:31:36 PMFeb 10
And I only really like the Maltesers.

Rosie

Vicky

Feb 10, 2024, 12:41:35 PMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 13:38:01 +0000, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:
Never tried them with butter. I don't know how they'd go with cream
cheese. Not with a strong, hard cheese, I think. Oh, might be
interesting with a blue? Blue Stilton?

Sam Plusnet

Feb 10, 2024, 2:04:39 PMFeb 10
On 10-Feb-24 9:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 09/02/2024 18:34, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>>> nice?
>>
>> Dunno, but I'm with you on that.
>> (I've never gotten on with coconut, since it's impossible to swallow
>> the stuff.)
>>

> YANAOU!  I have a lifelong inability to swallow dessicated coconut,
> which nobody else until now has ever understood.
>
> Creamed coconut, coconut milk, coconut cream etc are all fine.  It's the
> texture of the dessicated.  I can even manage small amounts of fresh
> coconut.

Yes. That sums it up exactly for me too.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 10, 2024, 2:08:04 PMFeb 10
On 10-Feb-24 12:26, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 10/02/2024 11:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 10/02/2024 09:42, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>>
>>> The late beloved Mike liked rich tea biscuits with dairylea spread on
>>> them.  I could never understand that.
>>
>> Oh no!  Cheese on Digestives - to die for!
>>

> To be fair, does dairylea spread count as cheese?

I'd describe it as 'cheese adjacent'.

--
Sam Plusnet

Sam Plusnet

Feb 10, 2024, 2:11:08 PMFeb 10
Years ago, when we had cats, there was one which loved Dairylea but
hated taking tablets.
We made the mistake of moulding the (tiny) tablet into a ball of
Dairylea, and then stood there for ages whilst the cat licked the
Dairylea to death.
That tablet was _not_ on her menu.

--
Sam Plusnet

Kate B

Feb 10, 2024, 2:18:47 PMFeb 10
Absolutely delicious with a nice ripe Stilton, Gorgonzola, Lanark Blue
or Roquefort. Off to the fridge now... (and before the cheese prefects
object, this is so the cheese can reach optimum temperature before I eat
it. With digestives)

--
Kate B

Serena Blanchflower

Feb 10, 2024, 2:30:20 PMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 13:40, Nick Odell wrote:
Having had a look at the Tesco website, I think I would agree with Sam's
verdict of "cheese adjacent":

Ingredients
Skimmed Milk (Water, Skimmed Milk Powder), Cheese, Inulin, Milk Fat,
Whey Powder (from Milk), Skimmed Milk Powder, Emulsifying Salts
(Triphosphate, Polyphosphates), Milk Protein, Calcium Phosphate, Acidity
Regulator (Citric Acid)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard

Wenlock

Feb 10, 2024, 3:36:08 PMFeb 10
Rosie Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes:
>
>> Vicky wrote:
>>
>>> I like rich tea biscuits and always have a packet on the go, as well
>>> as ginger biscuits, Nice biscuits and shortcakes.
>>
>> Is it OK to say that I don't find Nice biscuits particularly
>> nice?
>>
>> Chris
>
> I take the view that, since I seldom buy biscuits (because I know I will
> eat them all in short order), when I do buy them they will be no less
> than Dark Chocolate Gingers by Border Biscuits of Lanark. Or possible
> Lemon Melts by the Island Bakery of Tobermory if I can find them.

I will arise and go now, and go to Tobermory,
And a posh biscuit buy there, of lemon and sugars made;
Nine packets will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bakery trade.

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 10, 2024, 4:00:47 PMFeb 10
<applause>

Rosie

Jenny M Benson

Feb 10, 2024, 5:00:57 PMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 17:30, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Pepper the cat, who doesn't like Dreamies, is crazy about Dairylea
> triangles so I have to get them in specially.

My daughter has 2 cats which shun Dreamies - I've always thought that
wasn't quite normal. My Pardon was trained to go outside on a lead and
come in on command by rewarding her with Dreamies. She now asks to go
out, then asks to comes in, has the Dreamies and promptly asks to go out
again!

Recently I accidentally bought Dreamies Creamy by mistake. Both cats
think it is the best thing since ... er, since Dreamies.

Serena Blanchflower

Feb 10, 2024, 5:07:28 PMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 22:00, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> My daughter has 2 cats which shun Dreamies - I've always thought that
> wasn't quite normal.  My Pardon was trained to go outside on a lead and
> come in on command by rewarding her with Dreamies.  She now asks to go
> out, then asks to comes in, has the Dreamies and promptly asks to go out
> again!
>
> Recently I accidentally bought Dreamies Creamy by mistake.  Both cats
> think it is the best thing since ... er, since Dreamies.

Has Pardon discovered Lick-e-lix? They're similar to Dreamies
Creamies[1] but my Bella says they're even better. She's always willing
to eat her meds, so long as the meds are crushed and mixed into some
Lick-e-lix. I'm pretty sure that, if I just put a whole pill in there,
it would be licked clean and left but crushed tablets just disappear,
generally leaving a saucer which looks as if it's straight from the
dishwasher.

[2] I think Dreamies Creamy was introduced because of the growing
popularity of Lick-e-lix

--
Best wishes, Serena
To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it (Mother Theresa)

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 10, 2024, 7:59:27 PMFeb 10
In message <uq8mnl$3dgu5$1...@dont-email.me> at Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:36:05,
Wenlock <wenloc...@googlemail.com> writes
Excellent! BUMRA nomination.

(I must go back to a vest again, to a winter vest, with sleeves ...)

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison

Chris

Feb 11, 2024, 3:49:50 AMFeb 11
Rosie, please introduce this pair. Some round here still remember stories
of Tosca. You’ve not been here and talked cat for far too long.

Mrs McT

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 11, 2024, 4:29:51 AMFeb 11
In message <uqa1nc$tdgi$4...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:49:48,
Chris <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Rosie Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>> Pepper the cat, who doesn't like Dreamies, is crazy about Dairylea
>> triangles so I have to get them in specially.
>>
>> Rosie
>>

>Rosie, please introduce this pair. Some round here still remember stories
>of Tosca. You’ve not been here and talked cat for far too long.
>
>Mrs McT

This time round, I read "pepper the cat" as an instruction!

"...told me to connect with the electorate, and I did!" John Prescott on
having punched the man who threw an egg at him (Top Gear, 2011-2-28)

Mike McMillan

Feb 11, 2024, 5:33:21 AMFeb 11
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <uqa1nc$tdgi$4...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:49:48,
> Chris <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes
>> Rosie Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> []
>>> Pepper the cat, who doesn't like Dreamies, is crazy about Dairylea
>>> triangles so I have to get them in specially.
>>>
>>> Rosie
>>>

>> Rosie, please introduce this pair. Some round here still remember stories
>> of Tosca. You’ve not been here and talked cat for far too long.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>>
> This time round, I read "pepper the cat" as an instruction!

‘And only lightly salted…’

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Jenny M Benson

Feb 11, 2024, 6:40:54 AMFeb 11
On 10/02/2024 22:07, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> Has Pardon discovered Lick-e-lix?

I haven't come across that. I'll look out for it.

I was having a wakeful session early one morning recently and got to
pondering on the subject of cats. I was thinking that with my current 2
being only 11½ and nearly 5 and me being newly 79, it was highly
unlikely that I would ever have another. However, I started wondering
what I would call her (it would be female) if I did have another.

The 3 most recent were/are named Ludo(1), Sorry(2) and Pardon. I
decided that if ever there was a next one, it would have to be Miss Otis
Regrets.

(1) Not after the game, but in honour of Ludovic Kennedy.
(2) After the game.

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 11, 2024, 6:54:55 AMFeb 11
Since I tend to say Sorry to a cat when I step on a tail, or a cat
appears from nowhere just as I'm making a grandiloquent arm gesture, or
I have to explain that there won't be any more biscuits until I get back
from the shops, I assumed that your Sorry was named for such reasons.

But you've always had an interesting way with animal names.I do remember
meeting Choc'late Pudding, with that so-important apostrophe!

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 11, 2024, 7:21:14 AMFeb 11
Time passes too quickly and to my shame I was intermittent on Umra,
usually when Serena reminded me in early August that the birthday
monitor had been on my case. or that Sid (of blessed memory) or somebody
else had been asking after me.

Well, Tosca, a cat of immense character and cattitude whom I loved
dearly but never really liked, has been gone from us for nearly eight
years now, and left us while we was living temporarily at the top of a
Glasgow tower block, just a couple of weeks before I lost my mum. Soon
afterwards I was properly rehoused and to mark the occasion I asked Cats
Protection if they could find me a suitable moggy. "Could you take two?"
the nice lady asked, and I thought I could manage that. They had a pair,
Dinky and Oreo, who had to leave their family because the young daughter
had turned out to be allergic. So along they came: 5-year-old female
marbled tabby Dinky and 2-year-old white-and-black male, Oreo. I didn't
mind Dinky staying as Dinky because she really was Dinky – when Ally
came to visit she dubbed her "Nanoneko" and said she was the smallest
adult cat she'd ever seen. She's still a small cat but very solid, if
not leaning towards the tubby. The other one was never going to stay as
Oreo, I'm not having a cat named after a nondescript Merkin biscuit and
when it turned out that, gentle as he is, he really hates being picked
up and resists with a hell of a kick, he became Pepper.

They are both very gentle cats, mostly, and get on very well together
although Dinky is definitely the dominant one. She is very demanding
about night-time sleeping positions and will poke at my face or pluck my
pyjamas until I arrange myself just so, that she might curl up in my
right armpit. Pepper is more standoffish, sleeps by my feet and really
wouldn't mind, you know, if I were to scratch his ears. After I'm prised
from my bed they curl up together for their post-breakfast snooze.

It's alarming that they are now 13 and 10, reaching the stage where
every extra year is a bonus. But, fingers and paws crossed, they both
have a good few years of mischief in them yet.

Rosie

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 11, 2024, 7:22:26 AMFeb 11
In message <uqa1nc$tdgi$4...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:49:48,
Chris <chris.m...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Rosie Mitchell <rcmit...@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>> Pepper the cat, who doesn't like Dreamies, is crazy about Dairylea
>> triangles so I have to get them in specially.
>>
>> Rosie
>>

>Rosie, please introduce this pair. Some round here still remember stories
>of Tosca. You’ve not been here and talked cat for far too long.
>
>Mrs McT

This time round, I read "pepper the cat" as an instruction!

They don't like it ip 'em you know.

Rosie

Vicky

Feb 11, 2024, 7:30:40 AMFeb 11
We've only got Harryet Pottercat left now. We returned from Spain with
2 cats (and 2 dogs) Fang was found at a couple of days old with
littermates on a building site next door. We took her and one sister
(other neighbour took some too) and sister was in worse shape and
remained with the vet over night. I took Fang home and had to bathe
her wash a large wound on her side and bandage it. I had more injuries
than she did after that, so we called her after Hagrid's monster pet.

Next morning the vet said the sister hadn't made it over night but he
had a cage full of kittens who needed a home so we took one to keep
Fang company and continued the Potter theme. Harry used to groom Fang
and cover her doings in the litter tray for her. Bobby, the puppy
we'd already recued, mothered both kittens although he was only 6
months old. Harry loved him and has now transferred her attachment to
B.

Mike McMillan

Feb 11, 2024, 7:32:22 AMFeb 11
And 3 after the Rose Garden?

BrritSki

Feb 11, 2024, 8:51:51 AMFeb 11
On 11/02/2024 12:21, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> having a cat named after a nondescript Merkin biscuit and when it turned
> out that, gentle as he is, he really hates being picked up and resists
> with a hell of a kick, he became Pepper.

Hopefully he doesn't spray as well...

Mike McMillan

Feb 11, 2024, 8:53:47 AMFeb 11
‘Ere, ‘ave these two bricks…

Rosie Mitchell

Feb 11, 2024, 9:02:22 AMFeb 11
Not since he was done. His sprays brought tears to my eyes.

Rosie

Mike McMillan

Feb 11, 2024, 9:07:28 AMFeb 11
Was the spray from his Aerosol?

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 11, 2024, 10:50:04 AMFeb 11
In message <uqae3l$uv9b$2...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:21:08,
Rosie Mitchell <walne...@gmail.com> writes
[]
>Well, Tosca, a cat of immense character and cattitude

> whom I loved dearly but never really liked

That line shows a true cat person. (I think I may have had humans in my
life I could say that about, too.)
[]
(Rest of lovely story snipped.)

>It's alarming that they are now 13 and 10, reaching the stage where
>every extra year is a bonus. But, fingers and paws crossed, they both
>have a good few years of mischief in them yet.

I hope so too for you. (And them.)

>Rosie

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 11, 2024, 11:00:05 AMFeb 11
In message <uqakau$10avk$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:07:26,
Mike McMillan <toodl...@virginmedia.com> writes
https://twitter.com/JamesAHogg2/status/1623411555101560839

A true-born Englishman does not know any language. He does not speak English
too well either but, at least, he is not proud of this. He is, however,
immensely proud of not knowing any foreign languages. (George Mikes, "How to
be Inimitable" [1960].)

Mike McMillan

Feb 11, 2024, 11:49:15 AMFeb 11
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

Jpeg J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985
MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
A true-born Englishman does not know
any language. He does not speak English
too well either but, at least, he is not proud of this. He is, however,
immensely proud of not knowing any foreign languages. (George Mikes, "How
be Inimitable" [1960].)

Everyone knows that a true Englishman can be heard and understood by
everyone else in the whole world - as long as he SPEAKS LOUD ENOUGH!