A mystical silence broods.....

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Siderius Nuncius

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 2:36:33 AM7/6/03
to
Eleven posts since yesterday morning?

Was it something I said?
--
Sid
Shepherds Bush, West London


Kim Andrews

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 4:38:43 AM7/6/03
to
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:36:33 +0100, "Siderius Nuncius"
<siderius...@tesco.net> wrote:

>Eleven posts since yesterday morning?
>
>Was it something I said?

Please Sir, I've got a note Sir, don't need to post much on Grand Prix
weekends Sir. ;o)
--
Cheers, Kimbo
Best of umra archive www.totternhoe.demon.co.uk/umra/

"May 6,000 strabismic telephone operators prance in your genitals.
oo-er, wrong newsgroup." Charles F Hankel -- Hapless FAQer on the Wirral peninsula. RIP.

TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 5:13:15 AM7/6/03
to

"Siderius Nuncius" <siderius...@tesco.net> wrote in message
news:be8j16$2dltg$2...@ID-70308.news.dfncis.de...

I am beset with another mystery... I missed the conclusion of the £5 note
signatures survey, and the thread his disappeared from my news server; would
any umrat care to enlighten me as to the outcome?

Ahhhhh.... it's Sunday morning, the omni is on the wireless (just packed
wofe off to Kempton Park to do the race for life - sun is shining, so I'm
sure she'll enjoy) breakfast is on the go, French Grand Prix and the men's
final at Wombledin to come, and if all else fails I have a good book to
read... what a day! (I just thought I'd share that.)

Tony


Serena Blanchflower

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 5:24:06 AM7/6/03
to
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:13:15 +0100, "TonyPhiz" <a...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> I am beset with another mystery... I missed the conclusion of the £5 note
> signatures survey, and the thread his disappeared from my news server; would
> any umrat care to enlighten me as to the outcome?

We haven't been told. It seems to have disappeared into ether, along
with the rest of umra.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

George Middleton

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 5:21:33 AM7/6/03
to
TonyPhiz writes

>I am beset with another mystery... I missed the conclusion of the £5
>note signatures survey, and the thread his disappeared from my news
>server; would any umrat care to enlighten me as to the outcome?

It hasn't finished yet but here is another input.
Daughter - 2 and 0
--
George

Andrew Thomas Croft

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 6:03:03 AM7/6/03
to

"George Middleton" <Geo...@Middleton.net> wrote in message
news:XtAh7ZDdo+B$Ew...@blueyonder.co.uk...

I had one yesterday. My newsagent's got it now.


TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 6:06:03 AM7/6/03
to

"Serena Blanchflower" <nos...@sblanchflower.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:ujqfgvoip95s7qf0q...@4ax.com...

Ah, I see. My mail server seems to hold only a very small cache of messages,
bless it, before they disappear for ever, and I thought I'd missed the boat.
Thanks - Tony


Fenny

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 6:22:35 AM7/6/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard TonyPhiz say...

> Ahhhhh.... it's Sunday morning, the omni is on the wireless (just packed
> wofe off to Kempton Park to do the race for life - sun is shining, so I'm
> sure she'll enjoy) breakfast is on the go, French Grand Prix and the men's
> final at Wombledin to come, and if all else fails I have a good book to
> read... what a day! (I just thought I'd share that.)
>
I'm trying to decide whether or not to add an extra section to my design
assignment about "the importance of relating the design to its
surroundings" in order to get a distinction. It's that or watch the
tennis, so I'll be trawling Google for some photographic examples.
--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#130: The European space program is run by a single Sinclair ZX81 with
16k RAM pack.

Michael Parry

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 9:30:32 AM7/6/03
to
In message <XtAh7ZDdo+B$Ew...@blueyonder.co.uk>, George Middleton
<Geo...@Middleton.net> writes

There's a reference in the BBC round up of the career of Eddie George at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3023336.stm to 'the five pound note
fiasco of last year'. I must have missed that.
<reuse>
>>would any umrat care to enlighten me?
</reuse>

--
Michael Parry michael...@ntlworld.com


TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 9:53:27 AM7/6/03
to

"Michael Parry" <mic...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:ZEPbb994RCC$Ew...@ntlworld.com...

Ahhhhhh..... the fivers where the print rubs off?

Tony


Mike Ruddock

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 12:20:37 PM7/6/03
to
On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 07:36:33 +0100, "Siderius Nuncius"
<siderius...@tesco.net> wrote:

>Eleven posts since yesterday morning?
>
>Was it something I said?


Similar results here: in my case only 5 posts in that time.

Mike Ruddock

Chris McMillan

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 12:46:22 PM7/6/03
to
In message <tKRNa.5314$Pg7....@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, TonyPhiz
<a...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

>
>"Siderius Nuncius" <siderius...@tesco.net> wrote in message
>news:be8j16$2dltg$2...@ID-70308.news.dfncis.de...
>> Eleven posts since yesterday morning?
>Ahhhhh.... it's Sunday morning, the omni is on the wireless (just packed
>wofe off to Kempton Park to do the race for life - sun is shining, so I'm
>sure she'll enjoy) breakfast is on the go, French Grand Prix and the men's
>final at Wombledin to come, and if all else fails I have a good book to
>read... what a day! (I just thought I'd share that.)
>
I must be the only one *not* sport bound - and I'm deep in music of
varying kinds. (Toodles dividing his life between graduation ceremonies
and concerts)

Sincerely Chris
--
Chris McMillan
reply to: chris.m...@ntlworld.com
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.mcmillan/

TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 6:44:58 PM7/6/03
to

"Chris McMillan" <spam...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:0y0pZCFeJFC$Ew...@ntlworld.com...

Ah well now, I have to say that I too can enjoy a Sunday without so much as
a whiff of sport. If the mood is right, and the pace is easy (and there's a
good supply of tea and coffee) I can relax with the best of 'em, with
neither sight nor sound of propelled ball or turned wheel. Today though, was
a day which seemed to unfold in front of me with an inviting array of wheels
and balls, even if ultimately neither really provided the promised
spectacle. That's life.

Tony

Stephen GC Tilley

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 6:56:11 AM7/7/03
to
I think it was on Sun, 6 Jul 2003, that I heard TonyPhiz say ...

>
>I am beset with another mystery... I missed the conclusion of the £5 note
>signatures survey, and the thread his disappeared from my news server; would
>any umrat care to enlighten me as to the outcome?

Not yet - if you stick around you'll understand.

>Ahhhhh.... it's Sunday morning, the omni is on the wireless (just packed
>wofe off to Kempton Park to do the race for life - sun is shining, so I'm
>sure she'll enjoy) breakfast is on the go, French Grand Prix and the men's
>final at Wombledin to come, and if all else fails I have a good book to
>read... what a day! (I just thought I'd share that.)

And the Tour de France on C4.

--
Stephen Tilley -+- Ste...@Tilley.net
No longer resident in the South East.

Stephen GC Tilley

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 7:13:18 AM7/7/03
to
I think it was on Sun, 6 Jul 2003, that I heard TonyPhiz say ...
>
>"Michael Parry" <mic...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:ZEPbb994RCC$Ew...@ntlworld.com...
>> In message <XtAh7ZDdo+B$Ew...@blueyonder.co.uk>, George Middleton
>> <Geo...@Middleton.net> writes
>> >TonyPhiz writes
>> >>I am beset with another mystery... I missed the conclusion of the £5
>> >>note signatures survey, and the thread his disappeared from my news
>> >>server; would any umrat care to enlighten me as to the outcome?
>> >
>> >It hasn't finished yet but here is another input.
>> >Daughter - 2 and 0
>>
>> There's a reference in the BBC round up of the career of Eddie George at
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3023336.stm to 'the five pound note
>> fiasco of last year'. I must have missed that.
>> <reuse>
>> >>would any umrat care to enlighten me?
>> </reuse>
>
>Ahhhhhh..... the fivers where the print rubs off?

They coat fivers with a new anti-wear preparation. In the original batches of
the current fivers they *then* printed the serial numbers on top of this. So the
numbers didn't 'stick' to the fiver as they would if they were printed on paper.
So one could rub them off and sell them as freaks for more than GBP5.

AIUI they have overcome this by printing the numbers before the applying the
preparation.

Of course if they'd continued with organic, chemical-free notes none of this
would have happened.

TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 1:13:43 PM7/7/03
to
"Stephen GC Tilley" <Ste...@Tilley.net> wrote in message
news:bebjk...@drn.newsguy.com...

Ah yes (laughs to self for the omission): I did catch a bit of cycling, as
well.

Tony


TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 1:30:08 PM7/7/03
to
"TonyPhiz" <a...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:m4iOa.120$Tj5...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

I believe I also saw some underwater chess

Tony :-)


K Richard W

unread,
Jul 6, 2003, 6:29:43 PM7/6/03
to
Waiting for Daff's Caff to re-open, Chris McMillan living at ntl
Cablemodem News Service decided to tell uk.media.radio.archers that

>In message <tKRNa.5314$Pg7....@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>, TonyPhiz
><a...@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>>
>I must be the only one *not* sport bound - and I'm deep in music of
>varying kinds. (Toodles dividing his life between graduation ceremonies
>and concerts)
>
YANAOU. I have now missed two Grand Prix. And Wombledon is boring,
bring back wooden rackets.

I spent much of day driving to Kings Cross and back, walking the dog,
mowing the lawn, eating dinner and collecting a daughter.

Oh and finally catching up on umra.
--
Kosmo Richard W
SNELLSS

Fenny

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 6:37:10 PM7/7/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard TonyPhiz say...
> Today though, was
> a day which seemed to unfold in front of me with an inviting array of wheels
> and balls, even if ultimately neither really provided the promised
> spectacle. That's life.
>
>
And today there is no tennis and Neighbours is back. Some of us are
happy ;-)

--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#62: Aubergines are a controlled substance in the Ukraine.

Nick Atty

unread,
Jul 7, 2003, 6:52:52 PM7/7/03
to

It's pretty obvious. Those of us who post in our spare time are very
much in a minority. This evening's haul proves it.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

Stephen GC Tilley

unread,
Jul 8, 2003, 4:18:14 AM7/8/03
to
I think it was on Mon, 7 Jul 2003, that I heard TonyPhiz say ...

>
>I believe I also saw some underwater chess
>
>Tony :-)
>
You must have one of they statellite channels.

TonyPhiz

unread,
Jul 8, 2003, 6:12:17 PM7/8/03
to
"Stephen GC Tilley" <Ste...@Tilley.net> wrote in message
news:beduo...@drn.newsguy.com...

... a stalagmite channel (it was underground chess) ouch

Tony


K Richard W

unread,
Jul 8, 2003, 4:39:56 PM7/8/03
to
Waiting for Daff's Caff to re-open, Nick Atty living at OTE decided to
tell uk.media.radio.archers that

>Those of us who post in our spare time are very
>much in a minority.

If someone paid me as much as I get paid for going to work to post to
umra I would happily make a career out of it.

Any offers?

Marjorie Clarke

unread,
Jul 9, 2003, 8:55:51 AM7/9/03
to

"Siderius Nuncius" <siderius...@tesco.net> wrote in message
news:be8j16$2dltg$2...@ID-70308.news.dfncis.de...
> Eleven posts since yesterday morning?
>
> Was it something I said?

Must be my fault, I've been away on holiday for a fortnight. But I'm back
now so all is well.


--
Marjorie Clarke


Carole Appleyard

unread,
Jul 9, 2003, 11:54:30 AM7/9/03
to
In article <MPG.1974066ea...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, Fenny
<allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> writes

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
>I heard TonyPhiz say...
>> Today though, was
>> a day which seemed to unfold in front of me with an inviting array of wheels
>> and balls, even if ultimately neither really provided the promised
>> spectacle. That's life.
>>
>>
>And today there is no tennis and Neighbours is back. Some of us are
>happy ;-)

I'm glad there is someone out there sharing my secret vice, the sons
all laugh at me and groan - friends say things like "I never have time
to watch television until 10 o'clock" and here I am worried about Toady
- or was that an irony smiley?
--
Carole

Andrew John Wineberg

unread,
Jul 9, 2003, 1:27:30 PM7/9/03
to
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:54:30 +0100, Carole Appleyard <Car...@3feet.co.uk>
wrote:

>I'm glad there is someone out there sharing my secret vice, the sons
>all laugh at me and groan - friends say things like "I never have time
>to watch television until 10 o'clock" and here I am worried about Toady
>- or was that an irony smiley?

An honorary Melbourne-rat informs interested parties that he is led to
believe that the actor who plays Toady (Todd Something?) has been known
to be... exceedingly and very privately entertaining to some lady
visitors on /Neighbours/ tours. Are Fenny and Carole off to Pin Oak
Court?

--
ajw, Stanmore

Fenny

unread,
Jul 15, 2003, 11:55:19 AM7/15/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Carole Appleyard say...

> >And today there is no tennis and Neighbours is back. Some of us are
> >happy ;-)
>
> I'm glad there is someone out there sharing my secret vice, the sons
> all laugh at me and groan - friends say things like "I never have time
> to watch television until 10 o'clock" and here I am worried about Toady
> - or was that an irony smiley?
>
I point out to people who laugh at me about Neighbours that there are
lots and lots of people who watch Corrie and Emmerdale and think that it
is perfectly acceptable, but sneer at Neighbours.

I hope Dee finds out about Darcy soon.

--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford

#101: Napoleon never said "Not tonight, Josephine" - it was Josephine
who said "Not tonight Napoleon - your breath stinks of garlic again."

Penny

unread,
Jul 25, 2003, 12:03:13 PM7/25/03
to
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:55:19 +0100,
allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) scrawled in the
dust...

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
>I heard Carole Appleyard say...
>> >And today there is no tennis and Neighbours is back. Some of us are
>> >happy ;-)
>>
>> I'm glad there is someone out there sharing my secret vice, the sons
>> all laugh at me and groan - friends say things like "I never have time
>> to watch television until 10 o'clock" and here I am worried about Toady
>> - or was that an irony smiley?
>>
>I point out to people who laugh at me about Neighbours that there are
>lots and lots of people who watch Corrie and Emmerdale and think that it
>is perfectly acceptable, but sneer at Neighbours.

It occurred to me while following the "teenage girl absconds with internet
pen pal" story on radio news while we were away that tabloid journalism is
soap opera.

>I hope Dee finds out about Darcy soon.

Having missed all but two episodes over the last three weeks I am most
disappointed to find she _still_ hasn't done so.
--
Penny
Laughter is the dance of the spirit and the music of the soul.
umra Nicknames & Abbreviations http://www.bigwig.net/umra/nicks.html

Jenny M Benson

unread,
Jul 25, 2003, 1:02:52 PM7/25/03
to
In message <7v12iv89ugr4tgvgc...@4ax.com>, Penny
<sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes

>It occurred to me while following the "teenage girl absconds with
>internet pen pal" story on radio news while we were away that tabloid
>journalism is soap opera.

This prompts me to enquire of Umrats whether "we" ever heard the end of
the story of the little boy who went missing in Great Yarmouth a few
weeks ago?

Someone else asked me and I didn't know, but suspected that I would have
known if it had been published, so maybe it was a case of "not a pretty
little girl who can be described as An Angel so we're not interested in
this story any more".
--
Jenny

Michael Parry

unread,
Jul 25, 2003, 1:53:36 PM7/25/03
to
In message <vvIkt7B8KWI$Ew...@cedarbank81.fsnet.co.uk>, Jenny M Benson
<j...@cedarbank81.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>This prompts me to enquire of Umrats whether "we" ever heard the end of
>the story of the little boy who went missing in Great Yarmouth a few
>weeks ago?

No news is bad news it seems:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3052042.stm>:

:Police investigating the disappearance of seven-year-old Daniel
:Entwistle have withdrawn their search teams.

:Intensive searches of the river and coastlines around Great Yarmouth
:failed to find any trace of the boy.

<http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=12+Jul+2003+13%3
A16&tbrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=EDPOnline&itemid
=NOED12+Jul+2003+13%3A16%3A46%3A487>:

:The father of missing seven-year-old Daniel Entwistle narrowly escaped
:being sent to prison yesterday for turning up at his estranged wife's
:home in the early hours in a drunken state.
--
Michael Parry

M...@mygaff0.demon.co.uk

unread,
Jul 25, 2003, 2:10:44 PM7/25/03
to
In article <vvIkt7B8KWI$Ew...@cedarbank81.fsnet.co.uk>, Jenny M Benson
<j...@cedarbank81.fsnet.co.uk> writes
Alex and I MBM, but I just asked and we *both* think he was found
drowned...sadly
--
Min
So where are all the buffaloes?

Fenny

unread,
Jul 25, 2003, 2:13:19 PM7/25/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Penny say...

> It occurred to me while following the "teenage girl absconds with internet
> pen pal" story on radio news while we were away that tabloid journalism is
> soap opera.
>
You've only just noticed this? I've been firmly of the belief for many
years that there is probably more truth in the average volume of Beano,
Dandy, Batman or comic of your choice than most tabloid papers. And the
comics tend to be a better read and have fewer pornographic images.

--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#96: If you leave fizzy Vimto for a day or so you'll get flat Vimto...
but I still wouldn't drink it.

Penny

unread,
Jul 26, 2003, 6:48:13 AM7/26/03
to
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:13:19 +0100,

allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk (Fenny) scrawled in the
dust...

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,

>I heard Penny say...
>> It occurred to me while following the "teenage girl absconds with internet
>> pen pal" story on radio news while we were away that tabloid journalism is
>> soap opera.
>>
>You've only just noticed this? I've been firmly of the belief for many
>years that there is probably more truth in the average volume of Beano,
>Dandy, Batman or comic of your choice than most tabloid papers. And the
>comics tend to be a better read and have fewer pornographic images.

I wasn't thinking so much of the fictitious nature of most journalism, I've
been aware of that since the age of about 12 when my ma was "quoted" by the
local paper when she hadn't even spoken to them. It was more a sort of
revelation about celebrity and its appeal to the masses. We will gossip and
speculate here about Susan Carter or Toady Rebecci, safe in the knowledge
that no real people will be harmed. "News" media try to give us the same
sort of insight into real people's lives, presumably so we will view them
in the same way and want to know what happens next. It's just a shame they
feel the need to make up the stuff they don't know.

Fenny

unread,
Jul 26, 2003, 8:03:51 AM7/26/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Penny say...
> We will gossip and
> speculate here about Susan Carter or Toady Rebecci, safe in the knowledge
> that no real people will be harmed. "News" media try to give us the same
> sort of insight into real people's lives, presumably so we will view them
> in the same way and want to know what happens next. It's just a shame they
> feel the need to make up the stuff they don't know.
>
>
This is the main reason I don;'t buy the tabloids. The news reporting I
ignore anyway, but I really couldn't care less about the "celebs" that
they seem to want to push onto us at every opportunity. One of the guys
at work had left the mag from one of the Sunday tabloids in the break
room so I had a leaf through it. THere was a feature, based on the
photo of Prince William carrying bags of shopping from eTsco, showing
photos of allegedly famous people carrying stuff in carrier bags. OK, I
know who Leonardo di Caprio and a couple of the others are, but most of
them were total nobodies.

I also heard on the news yesterday that the bloke who used to manage the
Spice Girls is going to "manage" the Beckhams and try and revive
Victoria's singing career. Why? Who cares? I bet the rest of the Real
Madrid team were less than impressed when they arrived in China
yesterday that the press were only interested in their newest signing.
He may be a brilliant footballer, but he's certainly no great fashion
designer and I think some of his haircuts make him look a complete
idiot, but because the press report them, it's OK.


--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford

#149: Quiche Lorraine may only be made by people called Lorraine.

Judith

unread,
Jul 26, 2003, 1:02:34 PM7/26/03
to
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:48:13 +0100, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

> I've
>been aware of that since the age of about 12 when my ma was "quoted" by the
>local paper when she hadn't even spoken to them.

The opinion in our house is:

- You see or hear a report of something that you were personally
involved in or witnessed.

- The report is wrong in at least one significant way

- Therefore, ALL reports about EVERYTHING must be wrong!

Judith

Paradise Island Barchap

unread,
Jul 26, 2003, 6:26:11 PM7/26/03
to


In my rare brushes with the broadcast media (one national TV
covering a "hot" Education issue and wanting to interview tame
school governors, another just local radio publicising a cycling
event) I was struck by the artificiality of it all. It's not
so much that they put words into your mouth, but they definitely
want an "angle", and I guess just keeping interviewing people until
they come up with the angle that they wanted all along. The other thing
is (especially with TV) how artifically they setup the scenes. I realise
this is partly a limitation of the medium, but that rather proves that
TV is not necessarily a good medium for that sort of thing. At least,
in the hands of experts, it still can be, but with the pressures of
deadlines, we just get what's possible in the time available, not
lovingly crafted expertise. Radio is of course far better, because
it is less intrusive.

--
mi...@ellwoods.org.uk

badriya

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 5:50:34 AM7/27/03
to
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:26:11 +0100, Paradise Island Barchap
<mi...@ellwoods.org.uk> wrote:

>In my rare brushes with the broadcast media (one national TV
>covering a "hot" Education issue and wanting to interview tame
>school governors, another just local radio publicising a cycling
>event) I was struck by the artificiality of it all. It's not
>so much that they put words into your mouth, but they definitely

I once organised the baby show for the Brownies fete and the local
paper came along and later credited me with organising the whole fete.
I thought the rest of the committee were going to lynch me!


>want an "angle", and I guess just keeping interviewing people until
>they come up with the angle that they wanted all along. The other thing
>is (especially with TV) how artifically they setup the scenes. I realise
>this is partly a limitation of the medium, but that rather proves that
>TV is not necessarily a good medium for that sort of thing. At least,
>in the hands of experts, it still can be, but with the pressures of
>deadlines, we just get what's possible in the time available, not
>lovingly crafted expertise. Radio is of course far better, because
>it is less intrusive.

Did anyotherrats watch the evening on asylum seekers this week? I
thought that didn't work and while discussion is good, this
trivialised things to the level of a game show where the audience
voted to expell an asylum seeker, like in Big Brother. ( I am
quoting a minister who did not actually watch the programme and was
lampooned today on Broadcasting House, but she was right, I thought. )

I felt the Panorama on unlawful activities of asylum seekers, trailed
for days beforehand and linked to the discussion on the night, did not
raise sympathy for people put in an impossible position when they
arrive here, no shelter or food, not allowed to work, but concentrated
on the scams some set up. It seemed unfaily biased to me.

I felt disgusted with the result of the voting and very upset and
angry.


Vicky
--
Cybergypsy
Remember, amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic
(Sig I saw and loved and nicked)

George Middleton

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 6:04:34 AM7/27/03
to
badriya writes

>I once organised the baby show for the Brownies fete and the local
>paper came along and later credited me with organising the whole fete.
>I thought the rest of the committee were going to lynch me!

I went to the top of Helvellyn to see the sun rise on the Summer
Solstice and submitted some photos of the event to the North Western
Evening Mail. They used them but did not mention the Barrow Ramblers who
organised the outing. I too have suffered the disapproval of my betters.
--
George

Kim Andrews

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 6:21:33 AM7/27/03
to
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:04:34 +0100, George Middleton
<Geo...@Middleton.net> wrote:

>I went to the top of Helvellyn to see the sun rise on the Summer
>Solstice and submitted some photos of the event to the North Western
>Evening Mail. They used them but did not mention the Barrow Ramblers who
>organised the outing. I too have suffered the disapproval of my betters.

They can't be that much better if they still believe that an
individual has any control over what's written about them in the
press! ;o)
--
Cheers, Kimbo
Best of umra archive www.totternhoe.demon.co.uk/umra/

"May 6,000 strabismic telephone operators prance in your genitals.
oo-er, wrong newsgroup." Charles F Hankel -- Hapless FAQer on the Wirral peninsula. RIP.

BrritSki

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 6:25:45 AM7/27/03
to

Kim Andrews wrote:
>
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:04:34 +0100, George Middleton
> <Geo...@Middleton.net> wrote:
>
> >I went to the top of Helvellyn to see the sun rise on the Summer
> >Solstice and submitted some photos of the event to the North Western
> >Evening Mail. They used them but did not mention the Barrow Ramblers who
> >organised the outing. I too have suffered the disapproval of my betters.
>
> They can't be that much better if they still believe that an
> individual has any control over what's written about them in the
> press! ;o)
>

No no, he means the people who gambled against him getting to the top
:)

Penny

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 11:50:53 AM7/27/03
to
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:02:34 +0100, Judith
<no.spam.for....@aol.com> scrawled in the dust...

That's pretty much my view. When interviewed by my own local rag a while
back I spent some time persuading the reporter that my age was irrelevant
to the story*, I suppose it is to his credit he did not make one up.

Being away from TV news reports for most of the last 3 weeks I found it
slightly odd to hear the BBC reports about what the BBC had (allegedly)
done. In fact we both got somewhat confused as to who was accusing whom of
what. The tone of the ITN report I finally caught last week was quite
different.

* I'm not particularly coy about my age but "51 year old widow, Penny
Mayes" seems to me to contain at least two totally irrelevant facts

BrritSki

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 11:57:39 AM7/27/03
to

Penny wrote:
>
> Being away from TV news reports for most of the last 3 weeks I found it
> slightly odd to hear the BBC reports about what the BBC had (allegedly)
> done. In fact we both got somewhat confused as to who was accusing whom of
> what. The tone of the ITN report I finally caught last week was quite
> different.

I was amazed today to hear Gavin Davies talk about the BBC's "editorial
line".

Hello ? Editorial line ? Since when has the BBC had one of those or am
I just naive ?

Individual programs may have an editorial line, and individual
journalists may push their own opinions (whatever they maybe), but
afaiac the BBC overall should be neutral. I am seriously thinking of
stopping paying my licence fee if the BBC are going to take a political
stance. I've known for years that they have had one, but once again, I'm
amazed that they admit it and seem to be proud of it. Lord Reith would
be spinning in his grave (94KHz).

Kim Andrews

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 1:04:20 PM7/27/03
to
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:57:39 +0100, BrritSki <Brri...@iname.com>
wrote:

>
>I was amazed today to hear Gavin Davies talk about the BBC's "editorial
>line".

You *were*!!?? Cripes.

>
>Hello ? Editorial line ? Since when has the BBC had one of those or am
>I just naive ?

Well I'd have said the latter, except you admit further down that
you've always known they had one. So it's just the admission that
surprises you.

>
>Individual programs may have an editorial line, and individual
>journalists may push their own opinions (whatever they maybe), but
>afaiac the BBC overall should be neutral.

Should be, perhaps. Never has been though. There are, of course,
various rules that are applied around party campaign times, but
otherwise their general left-leaning is hardly unnoticeable. If it was
more subtle, it would probably bother me more. What's been surprising
this time around is that it's the theoretical left that they've got
into a spat with. I think their natural anti-establishment tendency
has tripped over their pro-labourness and they've got a tad confused.
;o)

> I am seriously thinking of
>stopping paying my licence fee if the BBC are going to take a political
>stance. I've known for years that they have had one, but once again, I'm
>amazed that they admit it and seem to be proud of it.

I tend to think of my particular bit of the licence fee as paying for
interesting documentaries and poncey historical drama. I feel sure
all that anything along the line of "all coppers are bastards" or
"sleeze, sleeze, sleeze" is paid for by somebody else. ;o)

> Lord Reith would
>be spinning in his grave (94KHz).

Dunno much about the bloke, I must admit.

Fenny

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 2:51:34 PM7/27/03
to
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Kim Andrews say...

> There are, of course,
> various rules that are applied around party campaign times, but
> otherwise their general left-leaning is hardly unnoticeable.
>
I was wondering about this the other day. I seem to recall the Tory
gummint whinging that the BBC had it in for them, now the current lot
are complaining that the BBC don;t agree with what they are saying.
Perhaps it really is cos the left-leaningness of the BBC is unnoticable
and if we get a Labour gummint, the BBC will agree with every word they
say.

--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#138: Everyone's favourite song of all time is 'Everything I Do (I Do It
For You)' by Bryan Adams.

Siderius Nuncius

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 4:28:13 PM7/27/03
to

BrritSki wrote

>
>I was amazed today to hear Gavin Davies talk about the BBC's "editorial
>line".
>
>Hello ? Editorial line ? Since when has the BBC had one of those or am
>I just naive ?
>
>Individual programs may have an editorial line, and individual
>journalists may push their own opinions (whatever they maybe), but
>afaiac the BBC overall should be neutral. I am seriously thinking of
>stopping paying my licence fee if the BBC are going to take a political
>stance. I've known for years that they have had one, but once again, I'm
>amazed that they admit it and seem to be proud of it. Lord Reith would
>be spinning in his grave (94KHz).

Shurely an "editorial line" is about a judgement and interpretation of
information received. That judgement can be influenced by many things,
including political bias, but it is not the same thing as a political
stance. I don't know what the whole truth of the 45-minute business is. I
hope the Inquiry (or is it Enquiry?) will shed some light, although I'm not
that confident. I do, however, know that the Government has been
*vehemently* denying things which the BBC has never accused them of.
Further, they have arranged for Dr Kelly's name to be made public and
consequently for this seemingly decent, honourable and truthful man to be
given a terrible time, following which he is dead. In the midst of all
this, for a man with Alistair Campbell's (sp?) record to complain that
someone has publicly interpreted information in a way that puts him and the
government in a bad light is simply laughable.

I am *glad* that the BBC is standing up to the government. Somebody has to,
and the current Opposition is about as effective as Michael Foot's Labour
Opposition was in Mrs. T's early years.

As to left-wing bias: well, maybe. As a leftie myself, I would be less
likely to notice it and complain than a more right-leaning person. I think
there may be an anti-government bias, but after six tears [TWATBILI] of
bullsh*t, spin, lies and downright insults to the intelligence of
broadcasters and public, I don't find that surprising. And anyway, it is
the *job* of journalists in a democracy to probe, question and challenge the
establishment. And left-wing bias for years? Those of us who remember the
reporting of the Miners' Strike would find it hard to agree. My
recollection is that every government has accused the BBC of having a
political bias against it.
--
Sid
Shepherds Bush, West London


Kim Andrews

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 5:19:21 PM7/27/03
to
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:28:13 +0100, "Siderius Nuncius"
<siderius...@tesco.net> wrote:

>And left-wing bias for years? Those of us who remember the
>reporting of the Miners' Strike would find it hard to agree. My
>recollection is that every government has accused the BBC of having a
>political bias against it.

My own interest in politics and the governance of my country was
fairly late-blooming, so my opinion is admittedly comparatively
recently formed (maybe ten years or so).

Major James Bigglesworth

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 5:26:09 PM7/27/03
to
In article <3f50419c....@News.Individual.NET>, Kim Andrews
<som...@hotmail.com> writes

>On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:28:13 +0100, "Siderius Nuncius"
><siderius...@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>And left-wing bias for years? Those of us who remember the
>>reporting of the Miners' Strike would find it hard to agree. My
>>recollection is that every government has accused the BBC of having a
>>political bias against it.
>
>My own interest in politics and the governance of my country was
>fairly late-blooming, so my opinion is admittedly comparatively
>recently formed (maybe ten years or so).

You have lovely hips... ;-)
--
Major James Bigglesworth DSO, DFC
http://members.lycos.co.uk/Biggles266/main.htm

badriya

unread,
Jul 27, 2003, 6:41:19 PM7/27/03
to
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:28:13 +0100, "Siderius Nuncius"
<siderius...@tesco.net> wrote:

>I am *glad* that the BBC is standing up to the government. Somebody has to,
>and the current Opposition is about as effective as Michael Foot's Labour
>Opposition was in Mrs. T's early years.
>
>As to left-wing bias: well, maybe. As a leftie myself, I would be less
>likely to notice it and complain than a more right-leaning person. I think
>there may be an anti-government bias, but after six tears [TWATBILI] of
>bullsh*t, spin, lies and downright insults to the intelligence of
>broadcasters and public, I don't find that surprising. And anyway, it is
>the *job* of journalists in a democracy to probe, question and challenge the
>establishment. And left-wing bias for years? Those of us who remember the
>reporting of the Miners' Strike would find it hard to agree. My
>recollection is that every government has accused the BBC of having a
>political bias against it.
>--
>Sid
>Shepherds Bush, West London


We said more or less that today after listening to the Weekend at One.
The conservatives used to complain about the BBC and didn't the Wilson
government?

Governments want to be able to use the BBC to say what they want but
that is because the BBC are listened to worldwide when other radio
stations are felt to be under the control of their governments. If
any UK government succeeded in getting control of the BBC then there
would no longer be the same point in having control as people would no
longer believe it.

They might not be perfectly neutral just as our system might not be
perfectly democratic, but both are alot better than most of the
alternatives.

Jane Vernon

unread,
Jul 28, 2003, 3:33:08 AM7/28/03