OT: Archive Page

BrritSki

Feb 9, 2024, 6:02:55 AMFeb 9
I came across a great Chrome extension the other day - Archive page.

When you click on a link and it is subscriber only you just click on the
extension and it takes you to an archived version of the page that you
can see for free. Doesn't always work for very new pages and/or is a bit
slow sometimes, but great most of the time.

<https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/archive-page/gcaimhkfmliahedmeklebabdgagipbia>

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 9, 2024, 8:04:19 AMFeb 9
In message <l2mf2s...@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 9 Feb 2024
11:02:52, BrritSki <rtilbur...@gmail.com> writes
Thanks - looks useful, so added; now I just have to remember
• that I've got it
• how to use it
!

"EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can." - Fortunes file

Serena Blanchflower

Feb 9, 2024, 1:13:18 PMFeb 9
Thanks. That looks useful.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible (Dalai Lama)

Sam Plusnet

Feb 9, 2024, 1:59:02 PMFeb 9
On 09-Feb-24 18:13, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 09/02/2024 11:02, BrritSki wrote:
>> I came across a great Chrome extension the other day - Archive page.
>>
>> When you click on a link and it is subscriber only you just click on
>> the extension and it takes you to an archived version of the page that
>> you can see for free. Doesn't always work for very new pages and/or is
>> a bit slow sometimes, but great most of the time.
>>
>> <https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/archive-page/gcaimhkfmliahedmeklebabdgagipbia>
>
> Thanks.  That looks useful.

Hmm.
I was about to say that sounds much like the "Cached" version of a web
page that Google would offer you if you clicked on the "three dots" menu
next to the URL.
But, now I see it doesn't do that anymore.

--
Sam Plusnet

Penny

Feb 20, 2024, 1:14:38 PMFeb 20
On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:02:52 +0000, BrritSki <rtilbur...@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
I have a link to the Way Back Machine on my toolbar, so I usually just use
that.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Vicky

Feb 20, 2024, 1:29:11 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:14:26 +0000, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:
How far back does it go? I need maybe to 1990 and am I the age I was
then if I go back but know what I know now?

Mike McMillan

Feb 20, 2024, 1:49:09 PMFeb 20
The wisdom of age usually explains why you knew nothing about anything
before.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Sam Plusnet

Feb 20, 2024, 2:13:07 PMFeb 20
Yes but. I think it's teenagers who know everything.

--
Sam Plusnet

J. P. Gilliver

Feb 20, 2024, 4:10:01 PMFeb 20
In message <4R6BN.140156$hq1....@fx13.ams1> at Tue, 20 Feb 2024
19:13:04, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> writes
>On 20-Feb-24 18:49, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com> wrote:
[]
>>> How far back does it go? I need maybe to 1990 and am I the age I was
>>> then if I go back but know what I know now?
>>>
>> The wisdom of age usually explains why you knew nothing about
>>anything
>> before.
>>
>Yes but. I think it's teenagers who know everything.

"When I was 20*, I was amazed how ignorant my father was. By the time I
was 30*, I was amazed how much the old chap had learnt in 10* years."

(I forget where I first heard it, and the *ed figures may not match the
original.)

To (half) answer Vicky's question: the Wayback Machine goes back a
surprisingly long way, but varies from website to website. Worth a try
though.

Society has the right to punish wrongdoing; it doesn't have the right to make
punishment a form of entertainment. This is where things have gone wrong:
humiliating other people has become both a blood sport and a narcotic.
- Joe Queenan, RT 2015/6/27-7/3

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 20, 2024, 4:59:54 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:02:20 +0000, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> "When I was 20*, I was amazed how ignorant my father was. By the time I
> was 30*, I was amazed how much the old chap had learnt in 10* years."
>
> (I forget where I first heard it, and the *ed figures may not match the
> original.)

Mark Twain, I think. But you didn't hear it directly.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Chris J Dixon

Feb 21, 2024, 5:41:16 AMFeb 21
Jim Easterbrook wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:02:20 +0000, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> "When I was 20*, I was amazed how ignorant my father was. By the time I
>> was 30*, I was amazed how much the old chap had learnt in 10* years."
>>
>> (I forget where I first heard it, and the *ed figures may not match the
>> original.)
>
>Mark Twain, I think. But you didn't hear it directly.

I recall the story being used by the speaker at one of our school
Speech Days. The chairman of the governors, a local councillor,
felt it necessary to caution us not to take it too literally.
Even 60 years later, I have not increased my evaluation of his
intelligence.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham