BBQs and other events

Peter Hesketh

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which
sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.

I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.

I'll still be emailable on p...@phesk.demon.co.uk, and the Archers
Chronology will still be searchable.

(Reminder: Send an email to thec...@phesk.demon.co.uk
with "Search" in the subject and (eg)

+john +neil -tregorran

in the body of the message.)

--
Regards, Peter "I'll be back" Hesketh
Mynyddbach, Monmouthshire, UK

Robin Fairbairns

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

In article <rUFTDAAt...@phesk.demon.co.uk>,

Peter Hesketh <p...@phesk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
^^^^^^^^
that's not a spelling error, it's merely a flip of language to latin.
it means `and with a beard' which is why i use it so often.

:-0 (emoticon for speaking porkies?)
--
Robin (Campaign for Real Radio 3) Fairbairns r...@cl.cam.ac.uk
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge CB2 3QG, UK

Carey Bowker

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <69vfav$su3$1...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Robin Fairbairns
<r...@cl.cam.ac.uk> continued on from
>Peter Hesketh <p...@phesk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>>(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
> ^^^^^^^^
>that's not a spelling error, it's merely a flip of language to latin.
>it means `and with a beard' which is why i use it so often.

Interestingly (or not) the OED saith:

barbecue (snipped phonetics), n. Forms: 7 barbecu, 7-8 borbecu, 8
barbicue, 7-9 barbacue, 8- barbecue, (9 babracot).
[ad. Sp. barbacoa, a. Haitian barbacoa (E. B. Tylor) 'a framework of
sticks set upon posts'; evidently the same as the babracot (? a French
spelling) of the Indians of Guyana, mentioned by Im Thurn. (The alleged
Fr. barbe a queue 'beard to tail', is an absurd conjecture suggested
merely by the sound of the word.)]
1. A rude wooden framework, used in America for sleeping on, and for
supporting above a fire meat that is to be smoked or dried.

I do not know whether the 'absurd conjecture' is a reference to beards
in general . . .
--
from: Carey Bowker the beardless

Charles F Hankel

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:06:53 +0000, Peter Hesketh

> Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
> surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
> meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which

> sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
> (and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
>

> I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
> jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.
>
> I'll still be emailable on p...@phesk.demon.co.uk, and the Archers
> Chronology will still be searchable.
>
> (Reminder: Send an email to thec...@phesk.demon.co.uk
> with "Search" in the subject and (eg)
>
> +john +neil -tregorran
>
> in the body of the message.)

So, does this mean that we change all of our headers to "Meet, event,
BBQ, barbecue, barbeque" followed by the real topic in brackets?

Charles F Hankel
--------------------------------------
Hapless FAQer on the Wirral peninsular

Peter Hesketh

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

In article <34c4d895...@news.mersinet.co.uk>, Charles F Hankel
<cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> writes

>So, does this mean that we change all of our headers to "Meet, event,
>BBQ, barbecue, barbeque" followed by the real topic in brackets?

Only if you want to stop me working!

--
Regards, Peter Hesketh
Mynyddbach, Monmouthshire, UK

Charles F Hankel

Jan 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/22/98

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:22:52 +0000, Peter Hesketh

> In article <34c4d895...@news.mersinet.co.uk>, Charles F Hankel
> <cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> writes
> >So, does this mean that we change all of our headers to "Meet, event,
> >BBQ, barbecue, barbeque" followed by the real topic in brackets?
>
> Only if you want to stop me working!

Oh dear, it's so tempting but I wouldn't be so cruel <fiendish grin>

Chris J Dixon

Sep 3, 2021, 3:47:30 AM9/3/21
Peter Hesketh wrote:

>Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
>surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
>meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which
>sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
>
>I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
>jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.

This is my entry in the" Who Can Reply to the Oldest Post in
UMRA" competition

Raises a glass to absent friends.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
ch...@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Penny

Sep 3, 2021, 4:40:24 AM9/3/21
On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 08:47:27 +0100, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>on Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:06:53 +0000
>Peter Hesketh wrote:
>
>>Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
>>surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
>>meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which
>>sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>>(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
>>
>>I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
>>jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.
>
>This is my entry in the" Who Can Reply to the Oldest Post in
>UMRA" competition
>
>Raises a glass to absent friends.

Absent friends.

I don't think Peter managed to stick to his resolve for long. I found umra
around April 1998, and by the time I met him at the 1999 BBQ I knew a fair
amount about him. Of course with Fred Drift it's quite possible all that
knowledge arrived in threads with BBQ in the title.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Nick Odell

Sep 3, 2021, 4:56:15 AM9/3/21
wrote:

>on Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:06:53 +0000
>Peter Hesketh wrote:
>
>>Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
>>surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
>>meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which
>>sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>>(and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
>>
>>I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
>>jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.
>
>This is my entry in the" Who Can Reply to the Oldest Post in
>UMRA" competition
>
>Raises a glass to absent friends.

But is it literally - rather than technically - a reply?

Bonus points for going back waaaaay further than anything I've got
saved on my machine!

Nick

Mike McMillan

Sep 3, 2021, 11:26:38 AM9/3/21
Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> on Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:06:53 +0000
> Peter Hesketh wrote:
>
>> Because of pressure of work I have decided to restrict my newsgroup
>> surfing to the bare minimum. I'm still interested in any events and
>> meetings, and to that end I have installed a newsgroup filter which
>> sends me only those postings with one of: meet, event, BBQ, barbecue
>> (and for the dictionarily challenged, barbeque) in the Subject field.
>>
>> I shall miss our daily chats, but I really must get down to all those
>> jobs I've been putting off since 1996 when I joined umra.
>
> This is my entry in the" Who Can Reply to the Oldest Post in
> UMRA" competition
>
> Raises a glass to absent friends.
>
> Chris

Rruga even more pishas!