BBQ as at 15th May

Chris McMillan

May 15, 2002, 2:34:17 PM5/15/02

Three Gs arrivals

Robin and Linda FF
Kirsten, Jon and Benedict
Niles
Min and Alex
Sarah Kerison
Rob Linham
Jamie Armstrong
Jeremy Fry
Rosie Mitchell
Mary
Tim R

Definites

Robin and Linda FF
Mary G
Tony Gardner (taxi runs)
Nick L and Alastair and Alex (taxi runs)
Stephen Turner (veggie cook)
Itzel - Spanish exchange partner to Stephen Turner
Kim Andrews and Robin Somes
Rob Linham
Sarah Kerison
Tidy Fairy and Lorna
Rosie
Brittski
Tim H, Anne and Brendan
Al
Mary K
Mike and Virginia
Iain A
Tim R
George & Shelagh Middleton
Jane
Helen & Mike Mumford (Johns)
Pauline Young
Min and Alex
Roger and Vicenta
Kathy and
Fenny
Molly and John Gilliver
Liz Blades
Jo Lonergan
Andy Taylor, Helen, Annie, Ada
Neil Hopkins, Alicia, Jamie, Jan, Mo (Neil's mum)
Vicky and Bluerose
Niles
Kirsten, Benedict and Jon
Nick O
Jamie Armstrong
Jeremy Fry
Kate Lambert and baby Emilia
Chris Dixon
Martin Clark
Kate Brown
Annie - friend of Rosie
Julia - friend of Rosie
Mary - friend of Rosie
Sean - lurker and sometime tutor of wunderkind

Veggie
Kimbo
Linda ff
Stephen Turner
Al Menzies
George Middleton
Virginia Ruddock
Lizbuff
Jo Lonergan
Sarah Kerison
Neil + Alicia
Helen, Annie, and Ada Taylor
Vicky
Jamie
Chris Dixon

Food
Sarah K: apple, sultana salad
Neil and Jan: pop and crisps and chilli chocolate dish
Robin and Kim
smoked salmon & lemons and various chocolate offerings.
Vicky Melons and pineapples Grapes and Feta cheese
Fenny: choc cake, humous & crudites, ice.
Rosie: kedgeree and a cake or two.
Tidy Fairy: nice tray of yummy stuff from the veggie shop
Lizbuff: veggie curry and Naan bread
Penny: table, gaze-bow, pringles. Drinks table
Helen & Mike Kettle Chips Assorted
flavours. And at least a couple of chairs. Assorted colours.
Jane: table, potato, avocado and
cress salad and soft drink.
Chris D : spicy rice salad and veggie rolls
Stephen Turner: Dalepak vegetable grills on ciabatta bread with
(toasted)
red onions and peppers
My contribution to veggie feast: good life veggie burgers, Quorn
sausages, Bean burgers,
Vicky: low cal. drinks, coke.
Kate Brown : goose liver pate
Mary Kemp: soft drinks and coffee cake
Robin and Linda: selection of cheese
Al: Greek salad and mineral water
McToodles: onions to be cooked on the veggie BBQ
Molly Gilliver: German-type potato salad, with eggs.
George M. dozen bottles of Old Speckled Hen beer
Tim R: home made cheesecake
Tim H: Rum and raisin chhesecake (like last year). Warning: contains
nuts.
Toodles : bread, rustic, which contains seeds, white and wholemeal.
Weevil: ash trays.

Books in boxes 50p a title
Vicky
Mike & Virginia
Kimbo
Al
BrittSki

Guess the Name of the Pig: 20p a go. Organised by Hazel and Claire.

Min's Piano.

Auction

Chuckler: The Archers Collection (knitting and crochet patterns) dated
1983, using Argyll wool.
Borchester Echoes, Jock Gallagher
Ambridge Summer, Keith Miles
Vintage Archers Vol. 2
Vintage Archers (The Lost Episodes) Vo. 3
One hippo that doubles as a nightdress case
One smaller hippo that doesn't seem to do anything. Al
jigsaw of Ambridge, Tidy Fairy
The Charles Hankel Memorial Tuit, and BBQ 2002 umra mug Jane
Hippo butter dish, Lizbuff

Probables
Robin Stevens
Kate Brown
Scott - friend of Pauline
Fenny's mum Enid Bensa
James - friend of Rosie

Apologies

Keith Sheep and Mrs. Sheep
Doug Faunt
AJW
Bob Archer
Robin Parkinson
SidNun
Anne Gumrat
Chucklet
Serena
Stephen B
BTMS and Paul
Richard Greenwood
Pat Hanby
Jenny B
Helen B
David Medcalf and Jen Hayler
Weevil
Jim Easterbrook and Sarah
KRW
Penny
Sandy
Marjorie and Tony
Nobby
Paul - freedombird
George N
Tony Gartshore
Stephen Tilley and wofe
Tony Walton

--
Chris McMillan

Kim Andrews

May 15, 2002, 3:08:43 PM5/15/02
On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:34:17 +0100, Chris McMillan
<Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Kim Andrews and Robin Somes

<beam> Thank you Chris. I was beginning to think we had to use [1]
separate cars. ;o)

>Brittski
er...
>Roger and Vicenta
... isn't this Brrtiski and Mrrsski?

BTW, AIAOU worrying about Jane's table, potato, avocado and cress
salad. Sounds awfully chewy.

[1] please note careful avoidance of "come in...", Brritski.
--
Cheers, Kimbo
Best of umra archive www.totternhoe.demon.co.uk/umra/

"May 6,000 strabismic telephone operators prance in your genitals.
oo-er, wrong newsgroup." Charles F Hankel -- Hapless FAQer on the Wirral peninsula. RIP.

Chris McMillan

May 15, 2002, 4:23:21 PM5/15/02
In message <YB4qrRAp...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>, Chris McMillan
<Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> writes

Toodles: GOS pork and apple sausages and burgers. Pork Steaks (what we
call spare ribs)

Penny forgot to bring our Eric Pig the money box, so Niles' much loved
battered tin will be pressed into service for the meat money donations.

Sincerely, Chris
--
Chris McMillan

Chris McMillan

May 15, 2002, 4:24:15 PM5/15/02
In message <26c5eu4g4s0k8plc4...@4ax.com>, Kim Andrews
<k...@foca.co.uk> writes

>On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:34:17 +0100, Chris McMillan
><Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Kim Andrews and Robin Somes
><beam> Thank you Chris. I was beginning to think we had to use [1]
>separate cars. ;o)
>
>>Brittski
>er...
>>Roger and Vicenta
>... isn't this Brrtiski and Mrrsski?
>
>BTW, AIAOU worrying about Jane's table, potato, avocado and cress
>salad. Sounds awfully chewy.
>

>[1] please note careful avoidance of "come in...", Brritski.

-:) Nugger off, nit-picker. Has Robin bought you a wooden spoon
lately?

Sincerely Chris

--
Chris McMillan

BrritSki

May 15, 2002, 3:36:04 PM5/15/02
Kim Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:34:17 +0100, Chris McMillan
> <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Kim Andrews and Robin Somes
> <beam> Thank you Chris. I was beginning to think we had to use [1]
> separate cars. ;o)
>
> >Brittski
> er...
> >Roger and Vicenta
> ... isn't this Brrtiski and Mrrsski?

Nope. I think it's the non-netted umrat neighbours of the McToodles
ain't it ?

Chris McMillan

May 15, 2002, 4:49:38 PM5/15/02
In message <3CE2B8A4...@iname.com>, BrritSki <Brri...@iname.com>
writes

It is: their surname is (have to careful) TIDBURY. Hence why BrittSki
has to stay BrittSki. -:)

Tim Reid

May 15, 2002, 6:42:46 PM5/15/02
"Chris McMillan" <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Three Gs arrivals
>
> Robin and Linda FF
> Kirsten, Jon and Benedict
> Niles
> Min and Alex
> Sarah Kerison
> Rob Linham
> Jamie Armstrong
> Jeremy Fry
> Rosie Mitchell
> Mary
> Tim R

Am I right in assuming that there will be lifts available to Toodles Towers
from the station, as last year? And what sort of time should I be at the
station/pub place to make sure that I'm not causing more inconvenience that
is strictly necessary, please? Ta.

Tim.
--
nipson anomema mem onan opsin

bernar...@btopenworld.com

May 15, 2002, 7:14:07 PM5/15/02
>Apologies

Oh well if we can have apologies then put me in as well

I have only recently got Mother Back from Respite Care and it will be
three months before I get another break
--
Bernard M. Earp
Still holding the heights of Bromley Cross

Niles

May 15, 2002, 8:59:29 PM5/15/02
Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:

|Three Gs arrivals

[snip 1/2 doz]

|Definites

[snip *thousands*]

THere ain't 'alf gonna be a lot of cars outside chez McMillan!

--
Niles, Nottingham |
ICQ UIN 12724766 | Don't give me songs

Kim Andrews

May 16, 2002, 4:43:04 AM5/16/02
On Wed, 15 May 2002 20:36:04 +0100, BrritSki <Brri...@iname.com>
wrote:

Aha! Thanks. I'd been a) wondering why Vicenta got shortened to Vib
(?) and b) thinking it didn't sound very Danish. You'd think I'd have
managed to draw the obvious conclusion, but apparently it eluded me.
Ho hum. If I go back and do the IQ test a few more times, till my
score improves, will I get brighter? :o)

Kim Andrews

May 16, 2002, 4:43:05 AM5/16/02
On Wed, 15 May 2002 21:24:15 +0100, Chris McMillan
<Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>[1] please note careful avoidance of "come in...", Brritski.
>
>-:) Nugger off, nit-picker. Has Robin bought you a wooden spoon
>lately?

?? What did I do now?

Frank Lee

May 16, 2002, 5:52:07 AM5/16/02
In article 77, Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> told us:
<snip>

>Apologies
Better include me here - despite Robin's best efforts and persuasion I can't get out of a scout camp that weekend. I'll be
with you in spirit as we tuck in to roast chicken for lunch, though.

Cheers,

Frank
--
Frank Lee
Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. http://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/

BrritSki

May 16, 2002, 5:13:52 AM5/16/02
Kim Andrews wrote:

> Ho hum. If I go back and do the IQ test a few more times, till my
> score improves, will I get brighter? :o)

Not sure, give us all a quick flash on Saturday and we'll let you know.

Kim Andrews

May 16, 2002, 10:12:05 AM5/16/02

If I can give you a *quick* flash, I'll got fitter too!

BrritSki

May 16, 2002, 10:21:39 AM5/16/02
Kim Andrews wrote:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002 10:13:52 +0100, BrritSki
> <Brri...@inameNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >Kim Andrews wrote:
> >>
> >> Ho hum. If I go back and do the IQ test a few more times, till my
> >> score improves, will I get brighter? :o)
> >>

> >Not sure, give us all a quick flash on Saturday and we'll let you know.
>
> If I can give you a *quick* flash, I'll got fitter too!

Well it'll have to be a quick one if Vib comes to the BBQ as threatened
!

Martin Clark

May 16, 2002, 12:10:45 PM5/16/02
I may be imagining things, but I thought Kim Andrews muttered something
about...

>Ho hum. If I go back and do the IQ test a few more times, till my
>score improves, will I get brighter? :o)

I should imagine so. After all - that seems to be the government's
reasoning behind testing children every five minutes.
--
Martin

Chris McMillan

May 16, 2002, 5:24:00 PM5/16/02
In message <ovr6eu8uoolhujbjs...@4ax.com>, Kim Andrews
<k...@foca.co.uk> writes

>On Wed, 15 May 2002 20:36:04 +0100, BrritSki <Brri...@iname.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Kim Andrews wrote:

>>> <beam> Thank you Chris. I was beginning to think we had to use [1]
>>> separate cars. ;o)

>>> er...
>>> ... isn't this Brrtiski and Mrrsski?
>>
>>Nope. I think it's the non-netted umrat neighbours of the McToodles
>>ain't it ?
>
>Aha! Thanks. I'd been a) wondering why Vicenta got shortened to Vib
>(?) and b) thinking it didn't sound very Danish.

Grin. She's Spanish.

Chris McMillan

May 16, 2002, 5:30:50 PM5/16/02
In message <tYUDAwD+...@btinternet.com>,
bernar...@btopenworld.com writes

>In message <YB4qrRAp...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>, Chris McMillan
><Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Apologies
>
>Oh well if we can have apologies then put me in as well

Taken as read, Bernard.

Chris McMillan

May 16, 2002, 5:33:16 PM5/16/02
In message <5216euo5ifqm42hm1...@4ax.com>, Niles
<alex....@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>|Three Gs arrivals
>
>[snip 1/2 doz]
>
>|Definites
>
>[snip *thousands*]
>
>THere ain't 'alf gonna be a lot of cars outside chez McMillan!

We've warned various people along the road that it's happening, but
it'll still have the natives wondering. Its likely no one will be able
to park immediately outside. One of our neighbours has a big Crown van
which he likes to leave as near to our gate as possible and it seems to
have come on a week's holiday this week. -:)

For those who are wondering how they'll recognise the house, well we put
some A4 sheets in the windows which scream UMRA.

Fenny

May 16, 2002, 5:44:20 PM5/16/02
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Martin Clark say...
I shall warn you all now - if anyone mentions testing schoolkids on
Saturday at the BBQ, be prepared for a) Ma to hold forth, at great
length, so that nobody present will be in any doubt of her views and b)
me to go into hibernation. She's been teaching a Yr4 class who had some
tests last week and she wasn't impressed (with the tests).
--
Fenny - C-COITUS (co)

"The Man's obviously got a blockage in his frivolous region."
Truly of the Yard

Jill Treasure

May 16, 2002, 5:53:20 PM5/16/02
In article <abvvg7$t6g$1...@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Frank Lee
<rl...@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes

>In article 77, Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> told us:
><snip>
>
>>Apologies
>Better include me here - despite Robin's best efforts and persuasion I can't get
>out of a scout camp that weekend. I'll be
>with you in spirit as we tuck in to roast chicken for lunch, though.

and me - husbad is working away, so I have to stay with the kids.
Will be thinking of you all.
--
Jill Treasure

Chris McMillan

May 16, 2002, 6:21:56 PM5/16/02
In message <MPG.174e2cd28...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, Fenny
<allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> writes

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
>I heard Martin Clark say...
>> I may be imagining things, but I thought Kim Andrews muttered something
>> about...
>> >Ho hum. If I go back and do the IQ test a few more times, till my
>> >score improves, will I get brighter? :o)
>>
>> I should imagine so. After all - that seems to be the government's
>> reasoning behind testing children every five minutes.
>>
>I shall warn you all now

Right: moves Fenny's mum to the definites list.

Nick Leverton

May 16, 2002, 8:06:21 PM5/16/02
In article <abuoen$e1i$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,

Tim Reid <pigba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Am I right in assuming that there will be lifts available to Toodles Towers
>from the station, as last year? And what sort of time should I be at the
>station/pub place to make sure that I'm not causing more inconvenience that
>is strictly necessary, please? Ta.

That is the intention, yes :) Various people with cars will be able to
ferry various people without; Chris generally groups 3Gs arrivers together
on the list so that you can look out for each other. The aim is to get
all there for about 1pm, so arriving between 12 to 12.30 would be wise.
Somerats get there earlier and enjoy an additional pint, usually on the
tables on the road side of the station pub, though if (heaven forfend)
it's wet then try inside !

Nick

c.a.fox

May 17, 2002, 12:06:08 PM5/17/02
"Nick Leverton" <ni...@leverton.org> wrote in message
Grey Fox's family aim to be there by midday and have a Mitsubishi Space
Wagon capable of carrying 6 passengers at a time, so we could offer a
"shuttle service" if that's any help.

Here's the contact fobile number for any fine tuning:
07710 007538

CU there!

--
Grey Fox

Kate Lambert

May 17, 2002, 3:45:04 AM5/17/02
In article <5216euo5ifqm42hm1...@4ax.com>, Niles
<alex....@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>THere ain't 'alf gonna be a lot of cars outside chez McMillan!

I feel personally responsible for this as a previous 3Gs person now
coming by car for the first time but I don't think I can cope with the
combination of First Born and First Great Western. Will have to ask
Kirsten, who I seem to recall was something of an expert, how she does
it.

--
Kate Lambert

Chris McMillan

May 17, 2002, 2:49:38 PM5/17/02
In message <ac1hht$9ab$5...@warren.leverton.org>, Nick Leverton
<ni...@leverton.org> writes

>In article <abuoen$e1i$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
>Tim Reid <pigba...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Am I right in assuming that there will be lifts available to Toodles Towers
>>from the station, as last year? And what sort of time should I be at the
>>station/pub place to make sure that I'm not causing more inconvenience that
>>is strictly necessary, please? Ta.
>
>tables on the road side of the station pub, though if (heaven forfend)
>it's wet then try inside !
>
>Nick

I don't like to say this but the beeb's site shows thundery showers.
Nick: can you have them over your side of the town and on towards
Rosie/Andrea's please.

We are not having ANY rain here thank you rain gods.

Chris McMillan

May 17, 2002, 2:50:41 PM5/17/02
In message <yl7Qb8IA...@semaphore.demon.co.uk>, Kate Lambert
<k...@semaphore.demon.co.uk> writes
With difficulty, Kate, at that age. Take it from one who did.

Chris McMillan

May 17, 2002, 3:58:44 PM5/17/02
As you'll all know, I wanted to raise money for the Malcolm Sargeant's
Cancer fund because one of Hazel's closest friends has lymphoma of the
neck. Claire has been longing to meet you all and for many weeks now
she's been in excellent health with very little side effects of the
chemo, barring losing her hair.

Sadly I've just had a phone call from her mum to say she's not at all
well this evening and a blood test has revealed an infection. The
results may well mean she has to go into hospital tomorrow for
intravenous antibiotics rather than bouncing around here as she so badly
wanted to with a few more mouthfuls of tablets to take per day.

So I hope if I keep everything crossed that I can, she'll be able to
come for at least part of the time. Hazel might be a bit down in the
dumps of course, but you'll all understand why now.

Chris McMillan

May 17, 2002, 4:55:55 PM5/17/02
In message <qdoaeu4prkq169vpl...@4ax.com>, The Tidy Fairy
<nevi...@spamblock.nfy53.demon.co.uk> writes
>While lurking in the froup, I noticed that Chris McMillan
><Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> had written, some of, the following

>> I don't like to say this but the beeb's site shows thundery showers.
>> Nick: can you have them over your side of the town and on towards
>> Rosie/Andrea's please.
>>
>> We are not having ANY rain here thank you rain gods.
>>
>I've lighted a nice yellow candle and had a quiet word with Thor.

Its raining rather hard at this very second. Keep talking Nev (and mind
that VIRGIN)

Nick Leverton

May 17, 2002, 5:34:46 PM5/17/02
In article <0b1B9mbb...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>,

Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Its raining rather hard at this very second. Keep talking Nev (and mind
>that VIRGIN)

Oh dear, too late.

Never mind, there'll be another one along in a minute.

Nick

Mike McMillan

May 17, 2002, 5:45:37 PM5/17/02
In message <ac3t1m$q6o$1...@warren.leverton.org>, Nick Leverton
<ni...@leverton.org> writes

Aren't the Virgins supposed to prance around in a circle with err. ummm
... well.... ahem, little left to the imagination. Over here dear! I
have a lovely fluffy towel to wrap you in .... (er, excuse me everyone,
I'll attend to the barbecue later!)
--
Mike McMillan, Mike Sounds
Digital Recording, Editing & CD Production.

Fenny

May 17, 2002, 7:33:58 PM5/17/02
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Mike McMillan say...

> Aren't the Virgins supposed to prance around in a circle with err. ummm
> ... well.... ahem, little left to the imagination. Over here dear! I
> have a lovely fluffy towel to wrap you in .... (er, excuse me everyone,
> I'll attend to the barbecue later!)

Were you at Prince Naseem's weigh in earlier?

Neil Hopkins

May 18, 2002, 4:04:07 AM5/18/02

It's been downgraded to light showers now, but I think that the
forecast has shown just about every kind of weather except snow for
today ...
--
neil h.
Spike : Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks, Oh God - I'm English!

Nick Leverton

May 18, 2002, 4:46:13 AM5/18/02
In article <uMT3YnJC...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk>,

Chris McMillan <Ch...@mikesounds.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't like to say this but the beeb's site shows thundery showers.
>Nick: can you have them over your side of the town and on towards
>Rosie/Andrea's please.

I'm happy to be inundated in the service of Umra ;-)

>We are not having ANY rain here thank you rain gods.

Overnight rain has stopped and, although the sky is overcast, I can
convince myself it is brightening. Here's to lunch ;)

Nick

BrritSki

May 18, 2002, 5:46:38 AM5/18/02

At great personal sacrifice I washed the car yesterday rather than today
so as to attract the rain overnight. Phase A of my plan worked.

I have just come in from a failed attempt at gardening. Any normal day
in these conditions and I'd have stayed in bed, but phase B of my plan
worked and it is drizzling here in Bedford now and as any fule kno if
you start your journey in rain it will end in sun.

You may all thank me later today if you're not too sunburnt :)

And as someone else said up there ^, anyrats who can't make it today for
whatever reason, we'll be thinking about you and hoping that you'll make
it next year.

Mike McMillan

May 18, 2002, 4:10:01 PM5/18/02
In message <MPG.174f9c446...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, Fenny
<allspamwil...@rickmansworth.mersinet.co.uk> writes

>Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
>I heard Mike McMillan say...
>> Aren't the Virgins supposed to prance around in a circle with err. ummm
>> ... well.... ahem, little left to the imagination. Over here dear! I
>> have a lovely fluffy towel to wrap you in .... (er, excuse me everyone,
>> I'll attend to the barbecue later!)
>>
>Were you at Prince Naseem's weigh in earlier?
Uh?

Toodle Pip,

Mike

Chris McMillan

May 18, 2002, 5:07:39 PM5/18/02
In message <3CE622FE...@iname.com>, BrritSki <Brri...@iname.com>
writes
Much much later on Kathy and Richard scattered some of Glynn's ashes
under one of our lavender bushes: the one next to the pond. Thanks to
those who stayed and watched this. Kathy much appreciated you all being
there and so did Richard.

Richard came down from Aberwystyth yesterday evening (by train) and will

Chris

--
Chris McMillan

Kirsten Procter

May 19, 2002, 10:09:13 AM5/19/02
In article <yl7Qb8IA...@semaphore.demon.co.uk>,

By looking helpless, mainly. It's surprising how much help a woman on
her own with a baby gets on the tube, for example. For relatively long
trips, the obvious sticking things you don't need to get there at the
bottom, and plenty of toys/books/food at the top of a bag, and then trying
to keep bags to a minimum - either pushchairs or carriers work quite well,
although pushchairs aren't much fun on the tube, obviously. (If we're away
for a while I tend to do things like buy fake nappies when we get there,
cos of space).
Does any of that help?

Kirsten

--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
UHB UNCEMPT UBBBA

Linda Fox

May 19, 2002, 5:55:16 PM5/19/02
Kirsten Procter wrote:
> (If we're away
> for a while I tend to do things like buy fake nappies when we get there,
> cos of space).

What are "fake" nappies? Are they something which gives you an enormous
bum but the weewee still goes alll over everywhere?

--
Linda ff, Cambridge
Strong men will run for miles and miles

Andy Taylor

May 19, 2002, 6:34:43 PM5/19/02
In article <3CE820B1...@fox.freedombird.net>, Linda Fox
<li...@fox.freedombird.net> writes

>Kirsten Procter wrote:
>> (If we're away
>> for a while I tend to do things like buy fake nappies when we get there,
>> cos of space).
>
>What are "fake" nappies? Are they something which gives you an enormous
>bum but the weewee still goes alll over everywhere?

I think Kirsten means disposable, as opposed to real nappies, which are
reusable. See www.nicenappy.co.uk (Helen's business :-)
--
Andy Taylor, FAQing about in Westfield, East Sussex
Witty quote removed by popular demand

Chris McMillan

May 20, 2002, 4:18:34 PM5/20/02
In message <sjn*de...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Kirsten Procter
<kpro...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>In article <sIZegsAD...@azande.demon.co.uk>,

>Andy Taylor <an...@azande.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <3CE820B1...@fox.freedombird.net>, Linda Fox
>><li...@fox.freedombird.net> writes
>>>
>>>What are "fake" nappies? Are they something which gives you an enormous
>>>bum but the weewee still goes alll over everywhere?
>>>
>>I think Kirsten means disposable, as opposed to real nappies, which are
>>reusable. See www.nicenappy.co.uk (Helen's business :-)

To which I looked and thought: hang on, hippos don't wear nappies.

I think I'd better go out in the rain and cool down.

Kate Lambert

May 20, 2002, 3:25:39 PM5/20/02
In article <ftt*cY...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Kirsten Procter
<kpro...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

> By looking helpless, mainly. It's surprising how much help a woman on
>her own with a baby gets on the tube, for example. For relatively long
>trips, the obvious sticking things you don't need to get there at the
>bottom, and plenty of toys/books/food at the top of a bag, and then trying
>to keep bags to a minimum - either pushchairs or carriers work quite well,
>although pushchairs aren't much fun on the tube, obviously. (If we're away
>for a while I tend to do things like buy fake nappies when we get there,
>cos of space).
> Does any of that help?

Yes. It's more or less what I do for charging around Bristol but I
wasn't sure I could cope with entertaining a baby on a crowded train.
Even in the car I had to sing most of the way and I can't imagine the
rest of the passengers feeling thrilled about that. But then maybe the
other passengers would be entertainment enough...
--
Kate Lambert

Kirsten Procter

May 22, 2002, 1:58:09 PM5/22/02
In article <CI0Mg3Bz...@semaphore.demon.co.uk>,

Kate Lambert <k...@semaphore.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Yes. It's more or less what I do for charging around Bristol but I
>wasn't sure I could cope with entertaining a baby on a crowded train.
>Even in the car I had to sing most of the way and I can't imagine the
>rest of the passengers feeling thrilled about that. But then maybe the
>other passengers would be entertainment enough...

<nod> Benedict's always been really interested in trains, so the journey
occupies his attention for most of the time.
If you're lucky, she'll fall asleep
:)

Fenny

May 22, 2002, 2:12:59 PM5/22/02
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.media.radio.archers,
I heard Kate Lambert say...

> Yes. It's more or less what I do for charging around Bristol but I
> wasn't sure I could cope with entertaining a baby on a crowded train.
> Even in the car I had to sing most of the way and I can't imagine the
> rest of the passengers feeling thrilled about that. But then maybe the
> other passengers would be entertainment enough...

The other passengers might have joined in the singing. Ma always talks
to small children nearby [1][2] when she travels by train.

[1] And just about anyone else
[2] Whether they want to be talked to or not.

BrritSki

May 22, 2002, 2:52:33 PM5/22/02
Kate Lambert wrote:

> Yes. It's more or less what I do for charging around Bris...

Is this supposed to be a follow-up to the circumcised dog thread ?

Chris McMillan

May 22, 2002, 4:39:46 PM5/22/02
In message <CI0Mg3Bz...@semaphore.demon.co.uk>, Kate Lambert
<k...@semaphore.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <ftt*cY...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Kirsten Procter
><kpro...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>>
>Yes. It's more or less what I do for charging around Bristol but I
>wasn't sure I could cope with entertaining a baby on a crowded train.

Once Haze was old enough to sit still either I read to her (very boring
indeed), or Toodles made up stories, or they played daft word games that
I found mind-blowingly boring. But at Emilia's age, which was the only
time we took her on a long journey at that age, we spent the whole time
trying to stop her walking up and down the train. I was *so*
embarrassed I wouldn't take her on a train after that until I could keep
her occupied myself.

> But then maybe the other passengers would be entertainment enough...

Depends on your passengers: Hazel often keeps smaller ones amused just
by talking to them in their own patter. She's much more patient than
I'll ever be.