Smart meters and pedantry

John Ashby

Nov 25, 2023, 6:11:20 AM11/25/23
But not together.

New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.

Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.

This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?

john

Mike McMillan

Nov 25, 2023, 9:05:54 AM11/25/23
Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the obnoxious
opinions’ and your home and dry!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Sam Plusnet

Nov 25, 2023, 2:09:59 PM11/25/23
Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
in which case...
<lost for words>

--
Sam Plusnet

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 25, 2023, 2:44:11 PM11/25/23
In message <8Er8N.7143$tIyd...@fx34.iad> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55,
Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> writes
>On 25-Nov-23 14:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> But not together.
>>>
>>> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>>> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>>> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>>> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>>> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>>> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>>> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>>> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.

Isn't it that if _both_ meters are subterranean, the chance of getting a
fobile signal is less? If only the gas meter is, then as long as the
electric one isn't and the gas is close enough to talk to the electric,
all is well?

>>> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>>> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>>> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>>> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>>> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>>> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>>> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.

Excellent example.
[]
>> Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the
>>obnoxious
>> opinions’ and your home and dry!

My home and dry what? (Sorry, couldn't let that pass in a post
containing another language point! [Now, what error have _I_ made?!?])

>Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
>shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
>in which case...
><lost for words>

I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.

And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
difference, at least between the last two?

he was eventually struck off by the BMA in 1968 for not knowing his gluteus
maximus from his humerus.

Nick Odell

Nov 25, 2023, 3:45:32 PM11/25/23
(I suspect that Sam, like Mike beofre him was following the age-old
law of USENET which requires that a post critical of another's
spelling, grammar or punctuation must contain at least one error of
it's own.)

Nick

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 25, 2023, 5:34:17 PM11/25/23
In message <o1n4mi5fnm4rffoqg...@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 20:45:25, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca> writes
Ah, I thought that had to be accidental - oh, I see, you're suggesting
it was. (That's why I said "what have _I_ done".)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells

Sam Plusnet

Nov 25, 2023, 8:22:54 PM11/25/23
I follow the Anarchist's punctuation guide - slavishly.

--
Sam Plusnet

John Ashby

Nov 26, 2023, 2:55:41 AM11/26/23
On 25/11/2023 20:45, Nick Odell wrote:
> must contain at least one error of
> it's own.)
>
> Nick

Well done.

john

Penny

Nov 26, 2023, 9:20:21 AM11/26/23
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11:17 +0000, John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...
I think you were lucky to get away with that, assuming you did. To me, it
still implies you find some of her opinions somewhat obnoxious.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Penny

Nov 26, 2023, 9:27:10 AM11/26/23
On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.

Glorious!
(was she wearing a garter?)

>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>difference, at least between the last two?

Whoosh!

John Ashby

Nov 26, 2023, 9:42:17 AM11/26/23
We're still in that first flush of a later-years teen-like relationship
where teasing is still possible.

john

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 26, 2023, 9:54:57 AM11/26/23
In message <94t2mi5bcqmijp10j...@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 04:17:59, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.
>
>Glorious!
>(was she wearing a garter?)

Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)

>>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>>difference, at least between the last two?
>
>Whoosh!
"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)

As individuals, politicians are usually quite charming, so it is quite hard to
dislike them, but in most cases, it is worth making the effort.
- Mark Williams (UMRA), 2013-4-26

Wenlock

Nov 26, 2023, 10:58:16 AM11/26/23
J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)

грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.

(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

Serena Blanchflower

Nov 26, 2023, 11:06:30 AM11/26/23
Yes, looks like it ;)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What do you get if you cross a sheep with a grasshopper?

John Ashby

Nov 26, 2023, 11:45:24 AM11/26/23
On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
It does here.

john

Penny

Nov 26, 2023, 11:52:54 AM11/26/23
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:42:15 +0000, John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com>
Aww, just bear it in mind... I liked Mike's suggestion.

Penny

Nov 26, 2023, 11:56:16 AM11/26/23
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
<wenloc...@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...

>J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>

>?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>
>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

Penny

Nov 26, 2023, 12:07:24 PM11/26/23
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46:37 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>>>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>>>difference, at least between the last two?
>>
>>Whoosh!
>"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)

Oh.
Why did you spell it so strangely?
Vaguely reminds me of Freffly posh, but with spelling errors.

Anyway, it's just an emphatic NO.

Not sure where it fits in the post though, doesn't occur in the song.

Mike McMillan

Nov 26, 2023, 12:19:47 PM11/26/23
Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
> <wenloc...@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>> ?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>>
>> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>
> No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

It should work in this country on a rainy day … UK Rain.😉

Mike McMillan

Nov 26, 2023, 12:21:10 PM11/26/23
Serena Blanchflower <nos...@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>> грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.
>>
>> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>

> Yes, looks like it ;)

Indeed it does!

Rosie Mitchell

Nov 26, 2023, 12:37:38 PM11/26/23
Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
> <wenloc...@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>>J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>>?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>>
>>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>
> No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

О да, это так!

Розий

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 26, 2023, 12:55:05 PM11/26/23
In message <1463miprbjfqhvn8e...@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 06:58:13, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46:37 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...

>>>Whoosh!
>>"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)
>
>Oh.
>Why did you spell it so strangely?

People tend to say it; written less often.

>Vaguely reminds me of Freffly posh, but with spelling errors.
>
>Anyway, it's just an emphatic NO.

OK. I just find it tautological, as it's archaic.

>Not sure where it fits in the post though, doesn't occur in the song.

It was used earlier in the thread. (No, it isn't in the song.)

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 26, 2023, 1:05:06 PM11/26/23
In message <ujvsn2$3b3pi$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22,
John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com> writes
>On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>
>> 0 >> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>

>It does here.
>
>john
I see that line as
" , ,"

Sam Plusnet

Nov 26, 2023, 1:46:38 PM11/26/23
On 26-Nov-23 17:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <ujvsn2$3b3pi$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22,
> John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com> writes

>>>  0 >>  (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>>

>> It does here.
>>
>> john
> I see that line as
> "            ,           ,"

"Your Usenet client may vary."

--
Sam Plusnet

Nick Odell

Nov 26, 2023, 4:32:38 PM11/26/23
<wenloc...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>

>?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>
>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

USENET does everything, including pictures and videos and programs and
more. Unfortunately text-only newsreaders, like mine, only work with a
limited range of character sets.

Nick

Wenlock

Nov 29, 2023, 2:26:21 AM11/29/23
Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
> <wenloc...@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>> ?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>>
>> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>
> No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

It is the Russian version, or at least, it was when I left it.

Mike McMillan

Nov 29, 2023, 4:11:41 AM11/29/23
Putin the right place, it would be then?

Mike McMillan

Nov 29, 2023, 4:16:31 AM11/29/23

Penny

Nov 29, 2023, 6:48:53 AM11/29/23
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:55:26 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6...@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>In message <ujvsn2$3b3pi$1...@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22,
>John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com> writes

>>> 0 >> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>>

>>It does here.
>>
>>john
>I see that line as
>" , ,"

For me it shows as
?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.

krw

Nov 29, 2023, 8:06:10 AM11/29/23
On the subject of Smart meters I have this morning had a phone call from
Ovo (other suppliers are available) which commenced with the obligatory
warning that all calls are recorded for training purposes (or similar).

The caller wished to advise me that to aid my journey to net zero he had
engineers in my area installing smart meters.

I asked him how a new meter would aid my personal journey to net zero
and he started blathering about the additional information on
consumption would enable Ovo to plan energy purchasing to minimise prices.

So I asked him to stop talking about Ovo and explain how it would aid my
personal journey to net zero as per his earlier statement.

He suggested that the meters would tell me when I was consuming
additional energy that I did not need to consume. I pointed out that
the meters could not tell what was consuming the energy and so whilst I
might know what the consumption was there was no way of knowing what was
undertaking the consumption.

After a couple of minutes of this he decided he had had enough.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Sam Plusnet

Nov 29, 2023, 2:12:18 PM11/29/23
Shouldn't they offer you some recompense for your assistance in training
their employees?

--
Sam Plusnet

Tony Smith

Nov 30, 2023, 3:54:52 PM11/30/23
It displayed correctly for me.

But, what is "Kranj"? There is a town of that name in Slovenia, but they don't use Cyrillic in Slovenia any more than we do.

Penny

Nov 30, 2023, 6:29:32 PM11/30/23
On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:54:50 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith
<agsmit...@gmail.com> scrawled in the dust...
From the context, it must be 'mud'.

J. P. Gilliver

Nov 30, 2023, 8:06:04 PM11/30/23
In message <cjeemipr6i8aam3v2...@4ax.com> at Wed, 29 Nov
2023 13:20:23, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
Yes, I think so. In some of the recordings, Swann sings a verse in
Russian, and the above was my poor memory phonetic attempt to reproduce
what he sings. (I recently found one of those recordings, and my attempt
wasn't very good.)

I hope you dream a pig.

Wenlock

Dec 1, 2023, 12:42:30 PM12/1/23
It’s “grjaz” (грязь in Cyrillic) and means mud or filth. There’s a Russian
crime comedy film of that name that was released as “Filth” in the
Anglophone version.

Rosie Mitchell

Dec 1, 2023, 1:07:40 PM12/1/23
Reference to Google Translate suggests that 'kranj' is Slovenian for
cranium, which makes a sort of sense, but it doesn't seem too
convinced since inverting the translation gives 'lobanja' for
cranium. Maybe kranj is colloquial Slovenian. You do have to wonder how
many Slovenian advisers Google has.

Rosie

Wenlock

Dec 5, 2023, 12:52:06 PM12/5/23