Ask EU TechDiv ... SMTP servers

DavidK

Dec 4, 2022, 7:04:08 AM12/4/22
I had an accident with Thunderbird and ensuing problem with newsgroups
so I started afresh with a new Thunderbird profile for umra. Everything
worked fine until I tried to post a message and then it said "assembling
message" and then hung.

Eventually I realised that I had configured news.individual.net as my
newsgroup server but before I had started using a new profile I was
using my email smtp server to post newsgroup items.

If I didn't have email as well, what could I have used to post newsgroup
items?

Kate B

Dec 4, 2022, 7:48:44 AM12/4/22
I have just had a look at my settings and the SMTP server is set to
default.

How did you post this message? Your User-Agent info seems perfectly in
order:

Or have I misunderstood something? I noticed that Thunderbird when
recently updated did show that assembly message a few times before it
settled down.
--
Kate B

DavidK

Dec 4, 2022, 8:21:31 AM12/4/22
On 04/12/2022 12:48, Kate B wrote:
> I have just had a look at my settings and the SMTP server is set to
> default.
>
> How did you post this message? Your User-Agent info seems perfectly in
> order:
>
> Or have I misunderstood something? I noticed that Thunderbird when
> recently updated did show that assembly message a few times before it
> settled down.

I tried several times and failed to post, and then I installed an email
server as well, and now I can post to the newsgroup. Of course it could
have cured itself in time but we'll never know.

I've now removed the email account but the smtp server is still there so
I can still post to the newsgroup. My email server was
mail.messagingengine.com (aka fastmail). I suppose I could have created
a dummy gmail or outlook account, they are pretty relaxed about that.

krw

Dec 5, 2022, 5:06:27 AM12/5/22
I think my webhosting provider wants about £20 a year for authenticated
smtp which might be the eventual solution. My current ISP provides it
anyway for free and I have historic yahoo and gmail accounts which also
appear to provide it for free. Indeed I think this will reach you
courtesy of yahoo, although for the life of me I cannot recall how to
set it up with yahoo itself as it is a very historic setup.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk