Grupy dyskusyjne Google nie obsługują już nowych postów ani subskrypcji z Usenetu. Treści historyczne nadal będą dostępne.

RIP Les Barker

41 wyświetleń

Penny

nieprzeczytany,
20 sty 2023, 06:38:0220.01.2023
do
So long Les Barker, at least your last act was watching the New Saints win
their match. Mrs Ackroyd will miss you.

I'm listening to your friends sing some of your work on "Some love".
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Nick Odell

nieprzeczytany,
20 sty 2023, 10:43:2920.01.2023
do
On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:37:55 +0000, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>So long Les Barker, at least your last act was watching the New Saints win
>their match. Mrs Ackroyd will miss you.
>
>I'm listening to your friends sing some of your work on "Some love".

It's not been a very good few weeks for us Boomers, has it?

Nick

Penny

nieprzeczytany,
20 sty 2023, 13:41:5720.01.2023
do
On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:43:27 +0000, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...
I think he had reduced the amount he was doing in recent years, which may
have shortened his life, who knows?

Anyway, it's not compulsory, Nick. Hang on in there ;)

Chris J Dixon

nieprzeczytany,
21 sty 2023, 03:51:1021.01.2023
do
Penny wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:43:27 +0000, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca> a
>gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 11:37:55 +0000, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So long Les Barker, at least your last act was watching the New Saints win
>>>their match. Mrs Ackroyd will miss you.
>>>
>>>I'm listening to your friends sing some of your work on "Some love".
>>
>>It's not been a very good few weeks for us Boomers, has it?
>
>I think he had reduced the amount he was doing in recent years, which may
>have shortened his life, who knows?

He announced his retirement last October. The last time I saw him
perform was online in 2020. I am old enough to remember the
actual Mrs Ackroyd.

This is an interesting read:

http://www.jacey-bedford.com/LesBarker.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
ch...@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

John Ashby

nieprzeczytany,
21 sty 2023, 04:44:3421.01.2023
do
On 21/01/2023 08:51, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Penny wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:43:27 +0000, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> It's not been a very good few weeks for us Boomers, has it?
>>
>> I think he had reduced the amount he was doing in recent years, which may
>> have shortened his life, who knows?
>
> He announced his retirement last October. The last time I saw him
> perform was online in 2020. I am old enough to remember the
> actual Mrs Ackroyd.
>
> This is an interesting read:
>
> http://www.jacey-bedford.com/LesBarker.html
>
> Chris

A USENET crossover, I know Jacey from misc.writing and a couple of
Wrevels (m.w. IRL meets) in Oxford and York and was the proud recipient
of an Artisan CD from her (Paper Angels).

john

Penny

nieprzeczytany,
21 sty 2023, 08:10:2421.01.2023
do
On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 08:51:05 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>Penny wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:43:27 +0000, Nick Odell <nicko...@yahoo.ca> a
>>gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>>It's not been a very good few weeks for us Boomers, has it?
>>
>>I think he had reduced the amount he was doing in recent years, which may
>>have shortened his life, who knows?
>
>He announced his retirement last October. The last time I saw him
>perform was online in 2020. I am old enough to remember the
>actual Mrs Ackroyd.

Was there a successor to Mrs Ackroyd? We saw Les in Chatham at some point
between 2002 and 2007, his cardigan had a distinct whiff of dog about it.

Penny

nieprzeczytany,
21 sty 2023, 09:26:1021.01.2023
do
On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 08:51:05 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>http://www.jacey-bedford.com/LesBarker.html
>
>Chris

Thanks so much for that link, not just for the lovely eulogy.
I'd no idea he had taken to YouTube during lock down, about 400 videos,
many of new political piss-taking during the height of the pandemic, to
enjoy.

Nick Odell

nieprzeczytany,
21 sty 2023, 11:51:3921.01.2023
do
On Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:44:32 +0000, John Ashby <johna...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I met Jacey Bedford just the other day. Okay, it was more like 20+
years ago but I remember the meeting as if it had been just the other
day. I can't remember the context but anyway she asked me to go to the
site of the Birdsedge festival where I found her in full
tote-that-barge-lift-that-bale mode with the festival volunteers. A
real force of nature and a delightful person.

Nick

Chris J Dixon

nieprzeczytany,
22 sty 2023, 10:55:2622.01.2023
do
John Ashby wrote:

>A USENET crossover, I know Jacey from misc.writing and a couple of
>Wrevels (m.w. IRL meets) in Oxford and York and was the proud recipient
>of an Artisan CD from her (Paper Angels).

I first met Jacey, with the rest of Artisan, back in 1988 at the
National Folk Festival at Sutton Bonington. I was waiting to go
into a performance room, and they had gone into the adjacent
stairwell where the acoustics were great for a warm up.

I saw them regularly at folk festivals, around the country, and
was pleased to be able to catch one of their reunion appearances
in 2015.

Chris J Dixon

nieprzeczytany,
21 mar 2023, 07:28:5721.03.2023
do
Hoping that this threads OK as, I am editing an old post.

If anyone is interested, this is what Jacey Bedford wrote on
Facebook on march 2nd:

>I think we gave Les Barker a good send-off yesterday. It was broadcast live and can be watched retrospectively for 28 days.
>https/watch.obitus.com
>Log in with User name posa3820
>Password 975123
>It was a sad occasion, but still nice to see so many familiar faces.

Having watched, it was truly a celebration.

Nick Odell

nieprzeczytany,
21 mar 2023, 11:50:5921.03.2023
do
On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:28:53 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>Hoping that this threads OK as, I am editing an old post.
>
>If anyone is interested, this is what Jacey Bedford wrote on
>Facebook on march 2nd:
>
>>I think we gave Les Barker a good send-off yesterday. It was broadcast live and can be watched retrospectively for 28 days.
>>https/watch.obitus.com
>>Log in with User name posa3820
>>Password 975123
>>It was a sad occasion, but still nice to see so many familiar faces.
>
>Having watched, it was truly a celebration.

Thanks for that, Chris.

Nick

Penny

nieprzeczytany,