Coercive Control

the Omrud

Dec 14, 2015, 12:44:09 PM12/14/15
It seems that Coercive Control is being made a specific offence:

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/reports/news/a31487/what-is-coercive-control/

Has the Git been reading Cosmo to get ideas?

--------------------------------
Common signs of Coercive Control:

Unreasonable demands. Often followed up by threats, pressure or physical
restraint if you don't agree to them.

Degradation AKA malicious name–calling, or bullying behaviour. This
could include buying clothes that are purposefully too small for you to
'diet' into, or constant belittling behaviour in front of your friends,
designed to make you feel worthless.

Restricting daily activities. Whether it's your daily jog, or meeting
your family. If you feel increasingly unable to carry out your normal
routine, it's usually a strong signal for concern.

Threats or intimidation. If your behaviour isn't to their liking, you
are threatened or intimidated into changing it. This can include sex too.

Financial control. Can include constant monitoring of your spending, or
giving you an 'allowance' to live off (usually when it's your own money
they're controlling).

Monitoring of time. Stalking your movements, unwanted contacted, or
being controlling about how you spend your time is a form of coercive
control.

Taking your phone away. Or changing passwords to your iPad or laptop so
you can't use them. This could include any form of restricting access to
communication, information or services.

The same goes for restricted mobility. If you're unable to leave the
house, or use your car because they won't allow it. If your partner's
behaviour isolates you from friends, family or colleagues, then it's
important to seek help.

Deprivation of food. Constantly – and purposefully – taking your food
away, or limiting your allowance is controlling, abusive behaviour. Seek
help.

Destruction of possessions. Whether it's something valuable, or emails
or text messages.

--
David

Paul Herber

Dec 14, 2015, 12:54:50 PM12/14/15
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:44:09 +0000, the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>It seems that Coercive Control is being made a specific offence:
>
>http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/reports/news/a31487/what-is-coercive-control/
>
>Has the Git been reading Cosmo to get ideas?

Linus Torvalds?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Joe Kerr

Dec 14, 2015, 1:30:21 PM12/14/15
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:44:09 +0000, the Omrud <usenet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Isn't that normally called parenting?

--
Ric.

Penny

Dec 14, 2015, 6:11:12 PM12/14/15
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 18:30:14 +0000, Joe Kerr <Joe_...@cheerful.com>
scrawled in the dust...
:)
Certainly fits many of them -

Go and tidy your room!
Wait 'til your father gets home!
You'll grow into it.
You're grounded!
If you don't do your chores I'll stop your pocket money.
You must finish your homework before you go out.
I'm locking the door at midnight.
No phone or internet until the weekend.
No you can't borrow the car.
Your dinner/tea/supper's in the dog.
You left it on the floor so I threw it away.

--
Penny
Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.

kosmo richard w

Dec 15, 2015, 12:23:19 AM12/15/15
<usenet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unreasonable demands. Often followed up by threats, pressure or
physical

Surely it depends on the definition of reasonable.

Rob is behaving like a concerned caring partner for his pregnant wife?

--
kosmo richard w

Vicky

Dec 15, 2015, 4:25:54 AM12/15/15
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 23:11:08 +0000, Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:
Main news item all morning so far, after the astronaut, was increase
of maybe 40% in domestic abuse and how the various police forces need
more resources to deal, and which are not dealing well.

So will it be Fallon's bf who rescues Helen? Fallon spots things at
the farm, he has a go at her, she tells PC and he investigates.

B is shouting that he'd like to be on a jury when they try and prove
it.

--

Vicky

Btms

Dec 15, 2015, 7:30:33 AM12/15/15
An increase stat refers to reported abuse; this may skew public perception.
More emotional abuse is recognised these days. This also affect the
stats. I think there may have been a considerable degree of unreported
physical abuse back in the day.

--
Editor in Waiting and Btms

Anne B

Dec 15, 2015, 8:12:57 AM12/15/15
> Rob is behaving like a concerned caring partner for his
> pregnant wife?
> kosmo richard w

Maybe so, but that doesn't excuse his behaviour at the stag
night. That was malice, pure and simple.

Anne B

kosmo richard w

Dec 15, 2015, 8:49:53 AM12/15/15
At the time I wrote I had not heard the stag do discussion. Given
that Ian has previously hit Rob I believe he merely sees it as a case
for a little revenge.

Entirely separate from his continued concern for his wife overfilling
her frumpy dress.

--
kosmo richard w

Marjorie

Dec 15, 2015, 9:08:04 AM12/15/15
Of course he was concerned. His pregnant wife has allowed herself to
change shape, and become fat and lumpy. It is her own fault that she has
nothing left that fits her now. Heavens, Rob actually gave her some of
her own money to go and buy maternity clothes many weeks ago, before she
even needed them! Rob may not be bringing a penny into the house, but
he's the boss, and has a right to decide how the money Helen earns is to
be spent, and how she shall dress. It's upsetting for him to find that
she doesn't look so slim and graceful now. The sooner she stops eating,
the better.

He has betrayed her confidence (and Jenny's) in what he said to Ian, but
if they could just see it his way, they'd understand that he was only
doing so because he has such high moral principles. After all, Adam was
unfaithful to his partner, and Rob would never behave like this, not
ever! Jess? She was just a slag. She doesn't count as a wife.

--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

btms

Dec 15, 2015, 9:17:56 AM12/15/15
Oh yes, silly me; I see it now. If Hellbent doesn't get her act together over her
ballooning weight she is going to be at the eating disorders group any time now.
How insightful of you and Richard to bring this perspective to our skewed
viewpoint.

As for Jess, well she wanted Rob back all right didn't she. I think she probably
realised the error of her ways when Rob just couldn't take anymore of her
un-cooperative behaviour. If she had left her dying Father and kept to her duty
of being with her husband things would have been so different. Essentially, Jess
abandoned him and then bad mouthed him when Rob was lonely and neglected.

kosmo richard w

Dec 15, 2015, 9:17:19 PM12/15/15
Perfect harmony rules

--
kosmo richard w

Mike McMillan

Dec 17, 2015, 10:41:47 AM12/17/15
And when the case fails, all the Ambridgians can wail 'We wuz Rob'ed'
as he strolls off into the sunset chuckling as he went...
--
Mike McMillan
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."

Mike McMillan

Dec 17, 2015, 10:44:15 AM12/17/15
YANAOU!