OT: Degrees Celsius

Jenny M Benson

Nov 15, 2022, 5:25:57 AM11/15/22
Can somerat please remind me of the "chart" which goes something like "0
degrees freezing, 5 deg boodly cold, 10 deg cold ..."?

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Mike McMillan

Nov 15, 2022, 5:51:29 AM11/15/22
Jenny M Benson <Nemo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Can somerat please remind me of the "chart" which goes something like "0
> degrees freezing, 5 deg boodly cold, 10 deg cold ..."?

And then there is F&S’s song about the weather; ‘Bloody January again’.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Penny

Nov 15, 2022, 6:39:16 AM11/15/22
On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 10:25:54 +0000, Jenny M Benson <Nemo...@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>Can somerat please remind me of the "chart" which goes something like "0
>degrees freezing, 5 deg boodly cold, 10 deg cold ..."?

There's an outdoor swimming chart which goes something like:

0-6 DEGREES: BALTIC - likely to impair breathing. Limbs soon become weak.
...cold water high ...a 1-2 minute swim can leave you feeling good all day.

6-11 DEGREES: FREEZING - Much like baltic, but not quite so painful, or
breathtaking.

12-16 DEGREES: FRESH - doable for the brave, and not a problem for
hardened open water lovers.

17-20 DEGREES: SUMMER SWIMMING - Still fresh on entry, but comfortable...

21 DEGREES PLUS: WARM - there is the odd sense that there’s something
missing… some will be able to spend hours swimming without a wetsuit.

30 DEGREES: POOL TEMPERATURE - Arguably unpleasant.

This list comes with many warnings and how cold swimming might kill you...
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

John Ashby

Nov 15, 2022, 7:59:53 AM11/15/22
On 15/11/2022 10:25, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Can somerat please remind me of the "chart" which goes something like "0
> degrees freezing, 5 deg boodly cold, 10 deg cold ..."?

Not me, but I do have:
Fahrenheit is how people tell the temperature.
Celsius is how water tells the temperature
Kelvin is how atoms tell the temperature.

john

Clive Arthur

Nov 21, 2022, 7:08:09 AM11/21/22
Celsius originally had water boiling at 0 and freezing at 100. Not a
lot of people know that.

--
Cheers
Clive

Joe Kerr

Nov 21, 2022, 8:26:33 AM11/21/22
But it was called centigrade in those days.

--
Ric

Chris B

Nov 21, 2022, 9:39:26 AM11/21/22
On 15/11/2022 10:25, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Can somerat please remind me of the "chart" which goes something like "0
> degrees freezing, 5 deg boodly cold, 10 deg cold ..."?

It probably varies with locality (Humidity, wind, season, insolation
etc) but here are some peoples personal scales.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/712005-what-temperatures-would-you-class-mild-9.html

--
Chris B (News)

steve hague

Nov 21, 2022, 10:24:16 AM11/21/22
On 21/11/2022 12:08, Clive Arthur wrote:
I wouldn't have wanted him to make me a cup of tea.

Mike McMillan

Nov 21, 2022, 11:14:08 AM11/21/22
His beverages were the coolest thing in town.

Nick Odell

Nov 21, 2022, 12:31:13 PM11/21/22
I haven't scrolled through the other pages so I wonder if they've got
Newcastle upon Tyne as a point of reference? I believe there it goes:

Temp. Indicator.
-40 to +10 deg C. Shorts with T-shirt
above +10 deg C. Shorts

Nick

Chris

Nov 21, 2022, 12:46:23 PM11/21/22
If jpeg were here he’d tell us

Mrs McT

Mike McMillan

Nov 21, 2022, 1:00:06 PM11/21/22
I didn’t notice much nudity when we were for a few days of British Summer.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 21, 2022, 2:04:34 PM11/21/22
Retrograde?

--
Sam Plusnet

Philip Hole

Nov 21, 2022, 5:01:32 PM11/21/22
Further odd facts:-

No-one knows why Celsius had such a weird system but Linneaus put it right.

Romer invented a thermometer using red wine. It had a limited life time.

Fahrenheit's thermometer had the temperature of melting ice at 32°F and
boiling water at 212°F.

Can you guess or work out why?
His two reference points were a) the lowest temperature he could
achieve with ice and salt (0°F/-20°C) and his armpit temperature
(100°F/40°C). Not a very reproducible reference point unless you want to
dig him up.

The americans are noteworthy for doing the wrong thing (think of driving
on the right hand side) and so they are the only country to still rely
on the Fahrenheit scale.

Why is 30°C considered hot when your body is at 40°C anyway.

--
Flop

Sid Nuncius

Nov 22, 2022, 1:11:39 AM11/22/22
On 21/11/2022 22:00, Philip Hole wrote:

> Why is 30°C considered hot when your body is at 40°C anyway.

Because the smaller difference between your body's temperature and that
of the environment means that is more difficult for your body to
dissipate heat effectively. At 30C it is your own body's heat which is
making you feel hot; heat must still flowing from the higher temperature
body to the lower temperature environment (that's yer actual
thermodynamics), but it's not flowing quickly enough.

It's rather similar to the question which I used to ask my physics
students: the sun is at its highest and is therefore supplying the most
energy to us in late June, so why are the hottest months not until July
and August?

--
Sid

John Ashby

Nov 22, 2022, 3:15:07 AM11/22/22
AIAOU in ranting that a temperature should be said as X Celsius (or
(9X/5+32)^{o}Fahrenheit) while Y degrees Celsius (9Y/5 deg F) is a
temperature *difference*?

And yes, I misuse the language in the same way when I talk but mentally
slap myself for it.

john

Mike McMillan

Nov 22, 2022, 3:25:01 AM11/22/22
Inertia? The overall effect of adding energy to a mass results in the
accumulation of that built-up heat. The larger the mass - the greater the
inertia?

Clive Arthur

Nov 22, 2022, 3:40:30 AM11/22/22
On 21/11/2022 22:00, Philip Hole wrote:

<snip>

> Fahrenheit's thermometer had the temperature of melting ice at 32°F and
> boiling water at 212°F.
>
>     Can you guess or work out why?
>     His two reference points were a) the lowest temperature he could
> achieve with ice and salt (0°F/-20°C) and his armpit temperature
> (100°F/40°C). Not a very reproducible reference point unless you want to
> dig him up.
>
> The americans are noteworthy for doing the wrong thing (think of driving
> on the right hand side) and so they are the only country to still rely
> on the Fahrenheit scale.

I heard a comedian on the radio explain that, "Celsius is a temperature
scale based on the melting and boiling points of water with 100
divisions between them, whereas Fahrenheit is wrong."

--
Cheers
Clive

Joe Kerr

Nov 23, 2022, 5:17:23 PM11/23/22
So you are saying that I gain weight in the summer because I get hotter?

--
Ric

Mike McMillan

Nov 24, 2022, 3:32:01 AM11/24/22