Short back and sides please.

Mike McMillan

Dec 3, 2015, 11:14:38 AM12/3/15
Having a nagging feeling the archives would reveal this not to be an
original topic but...

We hear about the FFF woman going to the hairdresser and even her
taking Piggy with her but...

Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control,
but, what do the others do? No one ever seems to mention they are off
for a hair cut in my hearing.

Toodle Snip,

Mike
--
Mike McMillan
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."

Eiron

Dec 3, 2015, 11:21:40 AM12/3/15
On 03/12/2015 16:14, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Having a nagging feeling the archives would reveal this not to be an
> original topic but...
>
> We hear about the FFF woman going to the hairdresser and even her taking
> Piggy with her but...
>
> Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
> Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control, but,
> what do the others do? No one ever seems to mention they are off for a
> hair cut in my hearing.

I have friends with hair but never hear or ask about haircuts.
So perhaps TA mirrors real life.

--
Eiron.

Syd Rumpo

Dec 3, 2015, 12:07:16 PM12/3/15
On 03/12/2015 16:14, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Having a nagging feeling the archives would reveal this not to be an
> original topic but...
>
> We hear about the FFF woman going to the hairdresser and even her taking
> Piggy with her but...
>
> Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
> Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control, but,
> what do the others do? No one ever seems to mention they are off for a
> hair cut in my hearing.
>
> Toodle Snip,
>
> Mike

Hairdresser? How very old-fashioned, just slightly less prehistoric
than 'barber'. I'd have thought that a man of your calibre would be a
regular at 'Faded', the Urban Grooming Lounge in Erleigh Road.

'The Urban Grooming Lounge Operative of Seville' doesn't quite sound
right though.

Cheers
--
Syd

Sam Plusnet

Dec 3, 2015, 1:32:25 PM12/3/15
In article <2015120316143646093-
mike.m...@batteriesnotincludedntlworld.com>,
mike.m...@batteriesnotincludedntlworld.com says...

some careful snipping here

> Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
> Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control,

Whenever I have seen photographs of Mr Grundy Snr. he always seen to
have very neatly trimmed beard & hair (as much as can be seen under his
cap).
So evidently ClarrieLuv is a wizard with the scissors and could probably
make a tidy living tending to the 'Men of Ambridge' and even further a
field.

Eddie could become a kept man.

--
Sam

Fenny

Dec 3, 2015, 3:23:36 PM12/3/15
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 16:14:36 +0000, Mike McMillan
<mike.m...@batteriesnotincludedntlworld.com> wrote:

>Having a nagging feeling the archives would reveal this not to be an
>original topic but...
>
>We hear about the FFF woman going to the hairdresser and even her
>taking Piggy with her but...
>
>Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
>Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control,
>but, what do the others do? No one ever seems to mention they are off
>for a hair cut in my hearing.

Even if there is no hairdressing provision for the chaps in Ambridge,
I should think there are several barbers in Borchester. Whereas us
wimmin have to make appointments months in advance* and it takes
forever to have our hair arranged "just so", blokes tend to bob in to
the barber, have a quick snip round, pay and go.

My brother's barber even used to keep the shop open for him after
lunch on a Saturday, if Bro rang to say he was in need. But he has
been going there for over 40 years. Not sure what will happen when
John retires.

*Fortunately, the hairdresser next to where Pa lives quite often has
an empty slot on a Saturday afternoon when I need shearing and can do
a cut & blow in half an hour.

--
Fenny

John Ashby

Dec 3, 2015, 4:56:16 PM12/3/15
On 03/12/15 20:23, Fenny wrote:

> *Fortunately, the hairdresser next to where Pa lives quite often has
> an empty slot on a Saturday afternoon when I need shearing and can do
> a cut & blow in half an hour.

If you're getting your blow cut, you need to find a better dealer, no
matter how fast the delivery.

john

Btms

Dec 3, 2015, 5:31:23 PM12/3/15
Fenny <umrat.de...@onetel.com> wrote:

[]

> *Fortunately, the hairdresser next to where Pa lives quite often has
> an empty slot on a Saturday afternoon when I need shearing and can do
> a cut & blow in half an hour.

Oh Fenny how could you. Especially as a follow up to McT!

--
Editor in Waiting and Btms

Sam Plusnet

Dec 3, 2015, 7:52:28 PM12/3/15
In article <n3qdle$ujv$1...@dont-email.me>, johna...@yahoo.com says...
<snort>

--
Sam

Eiron

Dec 4, 2015, 2:53:51 AM12/4/15
Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
You wake up in the morning looking like something the cat dragged in.
Not to mention the DA, Brylcreem, singeing and something for the weekend.

--
Eiron.

Btms

Dec 4, 2015, 4:13:27 AM12/4/15
They seem to be on trend now.

I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
they look better when they shave the whole lot off.

Chris J Dixon

Dec 4, 2015, 5:21:24 AM12/4/15
Btms wrote:

>Eiron <Evelyn....@live.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>
>They seem to be on trend now.
>
>I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
>in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
>gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
>they look better when they shave the whole lot off.

I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_d/7628969854/in/set-72157630710247108/>

You will find me on the back row, wearing my first pair of
wire-framed National Health specs, and "short back & sides"
haircut. These, to my chagrin, were certainly not regarded as
fashionable. How times change.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Jenny M Benson

Dec 4, 2015, 5:29:37 AM12/4/15
My bro once went to a barber, accompanied by our Dad. Barber asked "how
would you like it?" (OWTTE) and young-ish bro said "short back and sides
and shorter top."

Barber went across to Dad and asked "is it ok for your son to have a
crew cut?" Bro said he didn't mean that at all, he just wanted the top
a bit shorter than it was at the time,

--
Jenny M Benson

Jenny M Benson

Dec 4, 2015, 5:36:06 AM12/4/15
On 04/12/2015 10:21, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960

Why Shell, rather than Class?

--
Jenny M Benson

Syd Rumpo

Dec 4, 2015, 5:37:21 AM12/4/15
On 04/12/2015 10:21, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Btms wrote:
>
>> Eiron <Evelyn....@live.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>>
>> They seem to be on trend now.
>>
>> I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
>> in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
>> gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
>> they look better when they shave the whole lot off.
>
> I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_d/7628969854/in/set-72157630710247108/>
>
> You will find me on the back row, wearing my first pair of
> wire-framed National Health specs, and "short back & sides"
> haircut. These, to my chagrin, were certainly not regarded as
> fashionable. How times change.
>
> Chris

What was Bob Monkhouse like as a teacher?

Cheers
--
Syd

Marjorie

Dec 4, 2015, 6:24:42 AM12/4/15
On 03/12/2015 16:14, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Having a nagging feeling the archives would reveal this not to be an
> original topic but...
>
> We hear about the FFF woman going to the hairdresser and even her taking
> Piggy with her but...
>
> Do we ever hear the arrangements in Ambridge for the men? Recently
> Clarrie mentioned that she kept Joe's follicular mop under control, but,
> what do the others do? No one ever seems to mention they are off for a
> hair cut in my hearing.

It's one of many services that Ambridge residents rarely seem to need.
Hairdressers, doctors, dentists, taxis, music lessons, youth
organisations, plumbers and other tradesmen, CAB if you find yourself
homeless or divorcing .... if you can't find it in the village, you
don't get it!

--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

Chris J Dixon

Dec 4, 2015, 6:29:10 AM12/4/15
Jenny M Benson wrote:

>On 04/12/2015 10:21, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960
>
>Why Shell, rather than Class?

I think that the first headmaster had ideas above his station. It
was a new school, so he could make his own choices.

It is only today that I have Googled, and it seems that the term
originated at Westminster, though apparently used at other public
schools.

His other pretension was the school song "Forty Years On"
borrowed from Harrow.

Eventually both were dropped.

Ophelia

Dec 4, 2015, 6:30:09 AM12/4/15

"Btms" <po...@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message
Hubby (ex military) has shaved all his off for years, way before it became
the fashion. He would look weird with hair:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Chris J Dixon

Dec 4, 2015, 6:32:40 AM12/4/15
>What was Bob Monkhouse like as a teacher?

:-)

His subject was RE, and he had the strange mix of compassion and
fierce temper, but was not at all bad as our first form teacher.

The remaining evidence is that he was about the only one who
regularly organised a photo for his class.

Vicky

Dec 4, 2015, 6:35:10 AM12/4/15
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 10:21:23 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>Btms wrote:
>
>>Eiron <Evelyn....@live.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>>
>>They seem to be on trend now.
>>
>>I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
>>in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
>>gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
>>they look better when they shave the whole lot off.
>
>I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960
>
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_d/7628969854/in/set-72157630710247108/>
>
>You will find me on the back row, wearing my first pair of
>wire-framed National Health specs, and "short back & sides"
>haircut. These, to my chagrin, were certainly not regarded as
>fashionable. How times change.
>
>Chris

Isn't it funny how much bigger and older-looking girls are at that
age. If they are all the same ages? You look very sweet :)

--

Vicky

Fenny

Dec 4, 2015, 2:37:34 PM12/4/15
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 11:29:09 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>It is only today that I have Googled, and it seems that the term
>originated at Westminster, though apparently used at other public
>schools.

Pa was in the Shell. And the Remove.

--
Fenny

Chris McMillan

Dec 4, 2015, 3:09:22 PM12/4/15
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:07:15 -0000, Syd Rumpo <use...@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:
LOL. Syd, you've never met McT and I - but at the cost of a barber's
chair, McT would need a great deal more hair than he's got to make it
worth anyone's time. Think the price of a hair cut would make his wisps
of hair the price of gold dust!

Sincerely Chris

--

http://www.chinavision.info

Btms

Dec 4, 2015, 3:26:21 PM12/4/15
Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> Btms wrote:
>
>> Eiron <Evelyn....@live.com> wrote:
>>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>>
>> They seem to be on trend now.
>>
>> I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
>> in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
>> gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
>> they look better when they shave the whole lot off.
>
> I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_d/7628969854/in/set-72157630710247108/>
>
> You will find me on the back row, wearing my first pair of
> wire-framed National Health specs, and "short back & sides"
> haircut. These, to my chagrin, were certainly not regarded as
> fashionable. How times change.
>
> Chris

Are you the panda?

Btms

Dec 4, 2015, 3:26:21 PM12/4/15
Well all I can get is a pic of a panda. Very attractive one.

Syd Rumpo

Dec 4, 2015, 5:19:38 PM12/4/15
Actually, a good friend of mine is a former colleague of Mike's at
Bulmershe. I have been there, but I don't think we met.

The 'Urban Grooming Lounge' was formerly 'Simz Trimz', just next to
Donnington Motors where they seem to offer second hand cars at more than
the new price.

Cheers
--
Syd

krw

Dec 4, 2015, 5:50:23 PM12/4/15
On 4/12/15 20:09, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Fenny

Dec 4, 2015, 6:16:28 PM12/4/15
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 22:50:56 +0000, krw <k...@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.

Flippin' 'eck! I think I paid £14 for a C&B on my last visit to a
"real" hairdresser in the summer. But I'm spoiled by having my hair
done at the college training salon and getting a staff discount.
Normally a haircut is about £8. But I had it coloured and cut last
time and it came to £17.50.

--
Fenny

Jim Easterbrook

Dec 5, 2015, 3:35:15 AM12/5/15
krw wrote:

> On 4/12/15 20:09, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>>
>> LOL. Syd, you've never met McT and I - but at the cost of a barber's
>> chair, McT would need a great deal more hair than he's got to make it
>> worth anyone's time. Think the price of a hair cut would make his wisps
>> of hair the price of gold dust!
>>
> I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.

I go three times a year and pay £8, which includes the search fee.
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
1959/1985? M B+ G+ A L I- S- P-- CH0(p) Ar++ T+ H0 Q--- Sh0

BrritSki

Dec 5, 2015, 4:18:33 AM12/5/15
On 05/12/2015 09:35, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> krw wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/15 20:09, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>>>
>>> LOL. Syd, you've never met McT and I - but at the cost of a barber's
>>> chair, McT would need a great deal more hair than he's got to make it
>>> worth anyone's time. Think the price of a hair cut would make his wisps
>>> of hair the price of gold dust!
>>>
>> I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.
>
> I go three times a year and pay £8, which includes the search fee.

I bought a Wahl hair trimmer for about £20 a couple of years ago and use
it whenever needed for simply the cost of charging :)

Marjorie

Dec 5, 2015, 12:57:31 PM12/5/15
It was ever thus, and still is. I know a 12-year-old girl who has a
13-year-old stepbrother. She is bigger, smarter, and more mature than
him in every way, and even in he family, he is treated as the younger of
the two. I think the two of them even forget who is the elder sometimes.

Chris J Dixon

Dec 6, 2015, 3:29:37 AM12/6/15
krw wrote:

>I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.

Mine is a little cheaper at oldies rates. What I have noticed is
that the shorter you have your hair cut, the sooner it looks too
long. I suppose it is all down to percentage increase.

Chris J Dixon

Dec 6, 2015, 3:32:48 AM12/6/15
>Are you the panda?

Apparently that's what flickr show if there is an error. Is a
line wrap catching you out?

Vicky

Dec 6, 2015, 4:29:38 AM12/6/15
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 08:29:35 +0000, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>krw wrote:
>
>>I still go for a trim every four or five weeks. Usually costs a tenner.
>
>Mine is a little cheaper at oldies rates. What I have noticed is
>that the shorter you have your hair cut, the sooner it looks too
>long. I suppose it is all down to percentage increase.
>
>Chris

I have to admit I go for shorter and less need to visit the
hairdresser, partly because the prices are quite high, even at the one
in Asda, and partly because I've never liked hairdressers, except for
a brief time when Ernest was in Finchley, until he went back to South
Africa. He was one of the few hairdressers I didn't mind having my
hair done by and where I came out feeling happy.

--

Vicky

Kate B

Dec 6, 2015, 6:06:06 AM12/6/15
Normally I go to a hairdresser twice a year, to trim any split ends and
get a bit of professional colour onto the roots. But since I bust my
wrist in October I've been having to go once a week just to get it
washed and dried since you can't get the cast wet. A horrible and very
expensive process, even in the turn-up-and-wait place in the market,
worse in the naicer place in Blackheath. And your hair is never washed
quite thoroughly, and they put all sorts of smelly Stuff on it, and the
blow-dry wrecks it. The cast came off last week and I spent a glorious
hour washing and drying it myself, properly. Small joys.

--
Kate B
London

Jenny M Benson

Dec 6, 2015, 6:21:55 AM12/6/15
On 06/12/2015 11:06, Kate B wrote:
> A horrible and very expensive process, even in the turn-up-and-wait
> place in the market, worse in the naicer place in Blackheath. And your
> hair is never washed quite thoroughly, and they put all sorts of smelly
> Stuff on it, and the blow-dry wrecks it.

I go to a little old-fashioned place across the road and I always feel
that my hair is so thoroughly washed there that I never wash it properly
at home!

Costs me nearly £40 a time (colouring and everything) so I don't go
often enough - don't mind too much when my hair is overly long, but am
appalled when I see myself grey-haired again!

--
Jenny M Benson

Vicky

Dec 6, 2015, 6:52:20 AM12/6/15
Even the cheapest round here is nearly £30 for a cut and blow dry. I
have never had it professionally coloured and it's too much to do it
myself now so I am going grey, but not unhappy about it.

--

Vicky

Fenny

Dec 6, 2015, 8:05:19 AM12/6/15
On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 11:06:03 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Normally I go to a hairdresser twice a year, to trim any split ends and
>get a bit of professional colour onto the roots. But since I bust my
>wrist in October I've been having to go once a week just to get it
>washed and dried since you can't get the cast wet. A horrible and very
>expensive process, even in the turn-up-and-wait place in the market,
>worse in the naicer place in Blackheath. And your hair is never washed
>quite thoroughly, and they put all sorts of smelly Stuff on it, and the
>blow-dry wrecks it. The cast came off last week and I spent a glorious
>hour washing and drying it myself, properly. Small joys.

If anyrat has a local college with hairdressing facilities, it may be
worth investigating. The students need clients and the prices are
usually pretty low.

My colleagues say they wouldn't dare go to the college salon, but I
have never had a problem. If I go in the early part of the academic
year, the tutor usually does a demonstration. Mid year, it can be a
lengthy process. By the end of the year, the students are pretty
good. The tutor always checks everything before they finish and if
there is ever a problem, they will offer you another appointment for
free.

My problem these days is that salon hours are now cut down to Thursday
day time only, which is not a good time for me to take time off to
have a hair cut.

--
Fenny

Vicky

Dec 6, 2015, 8:51:37 AM12/6/15
I did that when I worked at Hendon College. And yes, it took ages :).
I must have gone mid-year.

--

Vicky

LFS

Dec 6, 2015, 9:00:07 AM12/6/15
On 06/12/2015 11:06, Kate B wrote:
Good to hear that the cast is off, Kate. Hope it has healed well.

I hate having my head touched so hairdressers have always been a problem
for me. My hair is very curly and it seems that these days few
hairdressers are good at dealing with curly hair (I think this is
because they insist on cutting one's hair wet and then have to guess
what it will be like when it dries. Years ago you could get your hair
cut without a wash.) But after admiring a curly-headed friend's haircut
I found myself at the poshest local salon on her recommendation and I've
gone there ever since.

I have now spent many years training Samantha not to talk to me, not to
put any "product" on my hair and to let me leave with it still damp. She
cuts it beautifully and I only need to go about 3 times a year, which is
just as well as she has, over the years, been promoted and is now a
senior stylist so costs me £70. When I went in September she wasn't
there as one of her children was ill and the salon director stepped in.
He did a reasonably good job but not as good as she does. He only
charged me what I would have paid for S - I asked how much his attention
would normally cost - £99!

--
Laura (emulate St George for email)

steveski

Dec 6, 2015, 9:54:01 AM12/6/15
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 13:51:37 +0000, Vicky wrote:

[snip]

> I did that when I worked at Hendon College. And yes, it took ages :).
> I must have gone mid-year.

Was that when it was in Silkstream Road? I went there in the mid to late
70s. The only lecturer's name I can remember (off the top of my head) was
Dr. Parrot who taught physics.

--
Steveski

Nick Odell

Dec 6, 2015, 10:00:42 AM12/6/15
Despite risk of sudden death in a hail of bottled hair care products may
I venture a comment from the other side of the street, as it were?

I love grey hair. I find it incredibly sexy. Emmylou Harris for
instance. Christine Lagarde. Phwoarr! If you've got it (grey hair that
is) flaunt it.

Nick

steveski

Dec 6, 2015, 10:04:26 AM12/6/15
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:00:41 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

[snip]

> I love grey hair. I find it incredibly sexy. Emmylou Harris for
> instance. Christine Lagarde. Phwoarr! If you've got it (grey hair that
> is) flaunt it.

Very much +1

--
Steveski

Steve Hague

Dec 6, 2015, 10:20:30 AM12/6/15
Similar thing here. I bought a hair trimmer from Argos about fifteen
years ago, and about every month or so my dear wife runs it over my
head, and we're both happy with the result. The casing has started to
split though. I may have to replace it soon. You awful people, I'm
talking about the trimmer and not Maggie, whose casing has never split!
Steve

Btms

Dec 6, 2015, 10:23:00 AM12/6/15
Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> Btms wrote:
>
>> Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I think I have posted this before, it shows me in 1960
>>>
>>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_j_d/7628969854/in/set-72157630710247108/>
>>>
>>> You will find me on the back row, wearing my first pair of
>>> wire-framed National Health specs, and "short back & sides"
>>> haircut. These, to my chagrin, were certainly not regarded as
>>> fashionable. How times change.
>>
>> Are you the panda?
>
> Apparently that's what flickr show if there is an error. Is a
> line wrap catching you out?
>
> Chris

it is there now, Jolly good looking chap.

Steve Hague

Dec 6, 2015, 10:55:08 AM12/6/15
On 04-Dec-15 9:11 AM, Btms wrote:
> Eiron <Evelyn....@live.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>> You wake up in the morning looking like something the cat dragged in.
>> Not to mention the DA, Brylcreem, singeing and something for the weekend.
>>

> They seem to be on trend now.
>
> I recall seeing National Servicemen being shown around the training depot
> in the days of teddy boy haircuts. A couple of days later the hair was
> gone. Short back and sides all round. I don't why near slap heads think
> they look better when they shave the whole lot off.

We slap heads have feelings too. Sob.
Steve

Btms

Dec 6, 2015, 11:55:30 AM12/6/15
But it looks all deadenders wannabe something horrible.

Jim Easterbrook

Dec 6, 2015, 1:00:42 PM12/6/15
My hair is so soft / thin / fine that trimmers won't work on it. It needs a
modestly skilled hand wielding comb and scissors. (I use a trimmer on my
beard but it's not very consistent. Even the beard hair is a bit soft and
lies down rather than standing up to be truncated.)

Vicky

Dec 6, 2015, 1:10:33 PM12/6/15
It had more than one site. I was partly at Montague Rd, ESOL,
bricklaying departments, and partly at Graham Pk. school leavers,
hairdressing,catering.
http://www.barnetsouthgate.ac.uk/the-college/college-locations-and-training-centres/grahame-park-campus2
It seems to be incorporated into Barnet College now. I think Montague
Rd has been sold.

--

Vicky

Vicky

Dec 6, 2015, 1:15:17 PM12/6/15
B uses a hair trimmer too but I'm not letting him cut my hair with it.
I don't like the #1 cut or #2. Too short. I had mine cut to about
2 inches long for a year or two and I was still colouring it reddish
then too, about 12 years ago. It was much easier for swimming.

--

Vicky

Mike McMillan

Dec 6, 2015, 3:04:38 PM12/6/15
On 2015-12-04 07:53:56 +0000, Eiron said:

> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
> You wake up in the morning looking like something the cat dragged in.
> Not to mention the DA, Brylcreem, singeing and something for the weekend.

It was only a matter of about fifteen years ago I stopped requesting a
SBAS from my barber when he quietly explained that they didn't style in
that fashion any more.

Toodle Snip
--
Mike McMillan
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)

krw

Dec 6, 2015, 4:42:53 PM12/6/15
On 6/12/15 20:04, Mike McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> On 2015-12-04 07:53:56 +0000, Eiron said:
>
>> Has anyone in living memory had a short back and sides?
>> Bloody stupid hairstyle if you ask me, which nobody did.
>> You wake up in the morning looking like something the cat dragged in.
>> Not to mention the DA, Brylcreem, singeing and something for the weekend.
>
> It was only a matter of about fifteen years ago I stopped requesting a
> SBAS from my barber when he quietly explained that they didn't style in
> that fashion any more.
>
> Toodle Snip

Next you will be telling that they don't do something for the weekend
either any longer.

steveski

Dec 6, 2015, 7:58:47 PM12/6/15
Oh. Sounds like we're in 'Wilt' (Tom Sharpe) territory . . .

It was purely science when I was there.

The other part of the buildings was Silkstream Rd. JMI

Did you ever know a physics technician called Annesley Fox? She uprooted
to Grahame Park (which, coincidentally, was 120 Sqdn Hendon - my old ATC
base).

--
Steveski

BrritSki

Dec 7, 2015, 4:16:28 AM12/7/15
Not your normal style to brag like that KRW.

BTW, did anyrats snigger when they heard the trail for this program like
waife and I did ?

<http://bit.ly/1ln5i84>

Vicky

Dec 7, 2015, 4:23:33 AM12/7/15
No, sorry. I was there in about 1983 - 1990, when they had a full-time
ESOL post that five pairs of women, internal candidates, went for as
job shares. They gave it to the single male, external candidate, who
arrived late, then wandered off and was not found when his time came
to be interviewed.

I got a full-time post by myself after that at Enfield College. FE
paid only lip service to job-sharing. They quite liked having lots of
p/t female staff around. Flexible but no security. The early version
of zero hours contracts.

--

Vicky

Kate B

Dec 7, 2015, 7:47:30 AM12/7/15
Hmmm. But Christine Lagarde and her ilk seem to have gone silver just
like that without the interim brindle, which is not pretty at all. My
hair is a beautiful silver right at the front and if that extended
everywhere I'd be only too happy, but in fact on the crown and round the
back it grows out in an already fake-looking mixture of reds and white,
so I might as well go red and proud all over for as long as my skin
colour bears it.

--
Kate B
London

Serena Blanchflower

Dec 7, 2015, 8:02:37 AM12/7/15
Yes, grey hair can look wonderful but it's thoroughly depressing having
greying hair. It just looks faded and tired :( For various reasons, it
isn't a realistic option for me to dye my hair but I really don't enjoy
having silver highlights in it.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Try to live simply. A simple lifestyle freely chosen is a source of

John Ashby

Dec 7, 2015, 11:27:16 AM12/7/15
On 07/12/15 13:02, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> Yes, grey hair can look wonderful but it's thoroughly depressing having
> greying hair. It just looks faded and tired :( For various reasons, it
> isn't a realistic option for me to dye my hair but I really don't enjoy
> having silver highlights in it.

Can I just say that you look wonderful from here.

john

Serena Blanchflower

Dec 7, 2015, 11:29:40 AM12/7/15
Thank you! You can definitely say that ;)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Be honest with yourself. What unpalatable truths might you be evading?

Mike McMillan

Dec 7, 2015, 5:12:51 PM12/7/15
That would be inconceivable!

Chris McMillan

Dec 10, 2015, 5:01:26 PM12/10/15
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 13:05:16 -0000, Fenny <umrat.de...@onetel.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 11:06:03 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> If anyrat has a local college with hairdressing facilities, it may be
> worth investigating. The students need clients and the prices are
> usually pretty low.

Daft as it might seem with Wunderkind working at our local college I've
never managed to find the time to go and get it done - and we still
haven't tried their restaurant manned by the cookery students. That,
apparently, is very popular.

Um, she's been there as a student and then a tutor since 2000!

Sincerely Chris

--

http://www.chinavision.info

Chris McMillan

Dec 10, 2015, 5:07:51 PM12/10/15
What??? Walk in for a nearly dry trim (they spray it lightly and mine
doesn't need a dryer afterwards) and its a tenner OAP rate - oh, and cash
only.

Mike McMillan

Dec 17, 2015, 11:35:07 AM12/17/15
Hairdressing in 'Barnet' College seems very appropriate!