spoiler 25/11/22

Vicky

Nov 26, 2022, 5:13:53 AM11/26/22
So I was right, Jolene did have an idea for an entertainment. Like
mother, like daughter. choir each. and they suggested combining them
but who would be the choir master in charge? Fallon said she should.
Jolene said she was a pro so should. Falon said she had a group and
should. So in competition . We're geoing to have 4 pre-Christmas
weeks of fighting in oh how we laughed (not) scenes, until they make
peace for Christmas and all is love.

An umrat suggested elsewhere They should form two choirs. Then they
could duet one song to the tune of another.
Feel free to think of tunes.

So far I like Plaistow Patricia to the sound of the Wheels on the Bus.
best.

Mike McMillan

Nov 26, 2022, 6:44:16 AM11/26/22
Colonel Bogie words to Barwick Green tune.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Penny

Nov 26, 2022, 8:54:42 AM11/26/22
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:13:52 +0000, Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>An umrat suggested elsewhere They should form two choirs. Then they
>could duet one song to the tune of another.
>Feel free to think of tunes.

One song to the tune of another reminds me of the help we gave to our
teacher at Singing for Lung Health session yesterday. She's been asked to
play the piano for a community sing-along Christmas carol 'event' in her
nearest village (there is no church or chapel in the village). She has been
given a copy of the provided words sheet - a commercially produced leaflet
which, in my experience, doesn't necessarily reflect the carols they intend
to sing, in that there were several on the sheet we had never heard of. She
has no sheet music for the carols but will undoubtedly manage well playing
by ear.

She'd asked us (just two old women at the moment) to sing those she was not
familiar with. We did our best and, apart from too many bars of
Glor-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-i-aa before we got to Hosannah in
excelsis, went ok. We all decided that the American 'Joy to the World' was
probably the same tune as one usually sung in Latin in the UK.

It then occurred to me that different churches/chapels use different tunes
for hymns and maybe she should check which tunes they want. I once attended
a Methodist wedding where the hymns were familiar to me, but the tunes were
not.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Linda Fox

Nov 27, 2022, 2:39:09 AM11/27/22
Joy To The World is surely not Latin? Or American for that matter? Since
the music's by zat krate Enklishmann Herr Handel...

When I was a child, we had a record of Handel's orchestral music, on the
sleeve of which was the composer's name and a picture of a hand holding a
baton. My dad asked me if I knew what it was. I said "a hand" "yes but what
is it holding?" he asked. Hazarding a wild guess I said "an L?"

--
Linda ff

Mike McMillan

Nov 27, 2022, 3:43:47 AM11/27/22
Two boys walking down the lane with hands in pockets, one carrying a loaf
of bread they have just collected from the bakery: ‘Hey, what have you got
in your hand?’ said the one without the loaf - ‘The staff of Life’ said he,
‘and what have you in the other?’ - ‘A loaf of bread’ came the reply.

Penny

Nov 27, 2022, 4:42:15 AM11/27/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 07:39:05 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <lind...@ntlworld.com>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:13:52 +0000, Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...

>> She'd asked us (just two old women at the moment) to sing those she was not
>> familiar with. We did our best and, apart from too many bars of
>> Glor-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-i-aa before we got to Hosannah in
>> excelsis, went ok. We all decided that the American 'Joy to the World' was
>> probably the same tune as one usually sung in Latin in the UK.
>
>Joy To The World is surely not Latin? Or American for that matter? Since
>the music's by zat krate Enklishmann Herr Handel...

You're right about the JttW lyrics being English, written by Isaac Watts in
1719, according to Wikipedia. I never came across it as a child, but have
heard it a lot on American Christmas movies, and it turned up on a facebook
quiz a few years back and many folk complained it was not known to them -
others said it was American, so I just assumed...

When we sang it for the teacher she recognised the tune as one she knew,
sung with Latin lyrics, which was familiar to me but I couldn't say what
they were.

>When I was a child, we had a record of Handel's orchestral music, on the
>sleeve of which was the composer's name and a picture of a hand holding a
>baton. My dad asked me if I knew what it was. I said "a hand" "yes but what
>is it holding?" he asked. Hazarding a wild guess I said "an L?"

:))

Jenny M Benson

Nov 27, 2022, 6:17:01 AM11/27/22
On 27/11/2022 08:43, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Two boys walking down the lane with hands in pockets, one carrying a loaf
> of bread they have just collected from the bakery: ‘Hey, what have you got
> in your hand?’ said the one without the loaf - ‘The staff of Life’ said he,
> ‘and what have you in the other?’ - ‘A loaf of bread’ came the reply.

My brother and I once walked UP a lane with a boy who was holding a loaf
of bread. He was very concerned that his mother was going to be cross
because this loaf was "broken". It was the first time any of the three
of us had encountered "sliced bread" - so I was very surprised recently
to learn that sliced bread had been around since long before the early
1950s.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Mike McMillan

Nov 27, 2022, 6:38:07 AM11/27/22
Yeah, it has been around since ‘Sliced Bread’.;-)

Kate B

Nov 27, 2022, 10:14:59 AM11/27/22
On 27/11/2022 09:42, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 07:39:05 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <lind...@ntlworld.com>
> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> Penny <sp...@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:13:52 +0000, Vicky <vicky...@gmail.com> a
>>> gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>>> She'd asked us (just two old women at the moment) to sing those she was not
>>> familiar with. We did our best and, apart from too many bars of
>>> Glor-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-or-i-aa before we got to Hosannah in
>>> excelsis, went ok. We all decided that the American 'Joy to the World' was
>>> probably the same tune as one usually sung in Latin in the UK.
>>
>> Joy To The World is surely not Latin? Or American for that matter? Since
>> the music's by zat krate Enklishmann Herr Handel...
>
> You're right about the JttW lyrics being English, written by Isaac Watts in
> 1719, according to Wikipedia. I never came across it as a child, but have
> heard it a lot on American Christmas movies, and it turned up on a facebook
> quiz a few years back and many folk complained it was not known to them -
> others said it was American, so I just assumed...
>
> When we sang it for the teacher she recognised the tune as one she knew,
> sung with Latin lyrics, which was familiar to me but I couldn't say what
> they were.

That's strange, as I don't think this hymn ever had Latin words. Is
there a subconscious mixup with Come All Ye Faithful and Adeste Fideles?
There are also English words to the tune of Personent Hodie but Joy to
the World wouldn't fit that.

>> When I was a child, we had a record of Handel's orchestral music, on the
>> sleeve of which was the composer's name and a picture of a hand holding a
>> baton. My dad asked me if I knew what it was. I said "a hand" "yes but what
>> is it holding?" he asked. Hazarding a wild guess I said "an L?"
>
> :))

Good one.

--
Kate B

Penny

Dec 2, 2022, 1:20:36 PM12/2/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:14:58 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk> a
I asked her about it today.
She thought she'd said that about a different tune but couldn't recall
which one. This is quite possible, my memory is mostly umbrella at the
moment and we sang a lot of carols last week.

The Latin words she quoted were "In Dulci Jubilo" which, now I've looked it
up, is certainly a familiar tune - wikipedia tells me the carol I know it
as is "Good Christian Men[1], Rejoice" - I don't think I've ever sung that
but I've certainly heard it.

She's a lovely woman and has an ambition to set non-religious lyrics to
hymn/carol tunes and get her community choirs to sing them. The Devil
doesn't have *all* the best tunes.

[1] apparently now de-gendered as "Good Christians all Rejoice".

Kate B

Dec 2, 2022, 3:36:32 PM12/2/22
It's not exactly the same tune as In Dulci Jubilo but is certainly
derived from it. And In Dulci Jubilo has Latin and English words
alternating (originally Latin and German). But neither the Latin/English
nor the English only versions are anything like Joy to the World in
meter or in tune.

> She's a lovely woman and has an ambition to set non-religious lyrics to
> hymn/carol tunes and get her community choirs to sing them. The Devil
> doesn't have *all* the best tunes.

The main thing is always to sing! As much as possible!

> [1] apparently now de-gendered as "Good Christians all Rejoice".

Pah. Back to the Latin, I say.

--
Kate B

Penny

Dec 3, 2022, 4:34:49 AM12/3/22
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:36:31 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 02/12/2022 18:20, Penny wrote:

>> I asked her about it today.
>> She thought she'd said that about a different tune but couldn't recall
>> which one. This is quite possible, my memory is mostly umbrella at the
>> moment and we sang a lot of carols last week.
>>
>> The Latin words she quoted were "In Dulci Jubilo" which, now I've looked it
>> up, is certainly a familiar tune - wikipedia tells me the carol I know it
>> as is "Good Christian Men[1], Rejoice" - I don't think I've ever sung that
>> but I've certainly heard it.
>
>It's not exactly the same tune as In Dulci Jubilo but is certainly
>derived from it. And In Dulci Jubilo has Latin and English words
>alternating (originally Latin and German). But neither the Latin/English
>nor the English only versions are anything like Joy to the World in
>meter or in tune.

True - my unforgettery is borked. I can't even remember the words* to the
simple songs we sing, mostly as call and response, but I'll keep trying.
The outing is the highlight of my week.

*often in strange languages <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fgZsY0P-VE>

Kate B

Dec 3, 2022, 7:42:39 AM12/3/22
I sympathise with words in strange languages. I need to know what words
mean otherwise I find it almost impossible to remember them. We are not
alone - on inspecting the back of onstage scenery for Boris Godunov at
Covent Garden it could clearly be seen that the chorus had written out
their words phonetically. I often wondered why certain tenors were
always cowering behind a rock.

--
Kate B

John Ashby

Dec 3, 2022, 8:51:18 AM12/3/22
There is a tale (which I suspect you know better than I) of a tenor who
took over a role in a long established production and was mystified by
the stage directions. He went to the tenor who had originated the role
and said "At this point my character goes upstage and turns his back on
the audience, but I don't understand the motivation behind this." The
original tenor thought a while and said "I don't understand it either.
Let me look at the score." He found the place in the score, turned a few
pages and then siad "Now I get it. three pages on there's a high C. I
went back there for a hawk and a spit so I could reach it."

john

Penny

Dec 3, 2022, 4:31:45 PM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 12:42:37 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 03/12/2022 09:34, Penny wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:36:31 +0000, Kate B <elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> It's not exactly the same tune as In Dulci Jubilo but is certainly
>>> derived from it. And In Dulci Jubilo has Latin and English words
>>> alternating (originally Latin and German). But neither the Latin/English
>>> nor the English only versions are anything like Joy to the World in
>>> meter or in tune.
>>
>> True - my unforgettery is borked. I can't even remember the words* to the
>> simple songs we sing, mostly as call and response, but I'll keep trying.
>> The outing is the highlight of my week.
>>
>> *often in strange languages <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fgZsY0P-VE>
>
>I sympathise with words in strange languages. I need to know what words
>mean otherwise I find it almost impossible to remember them.

I'm quite happy with that one - the sounds and rhythms are pleasing. I
usually ask what they mean, so she often has an answer for me now, and is
also patient when I object to obvious grammatical errors in English songs.
We also invent new verses for songs from time to time.