Filtering messages in Thunderbird

steve hague

Nov 25, 2022, 4:06:32 AM11/25/22
How do I get rid of Black Friday messages before I see them?

John Ashby

Nov 25, 2022, 4:22:49 AM11/25/22
On 25/11/2022 09:06, steve hague wrote:
> How do I get rid of Black Friday messages before I see them?

Tools>Filters>Message Filters

a window pops up

New

create a filter e.g. Subject contains "Black Friday"

u.s.w.

john

steve hague

Nov 25, 2022, 4:46:24 AM11/25/22
Thanks John.

Sam Plusnet

Nov 25, 2022, 3:03:21 PM11/25/22
On 25-Nov-22 9:46, steve hague wrote:
> On 25/11/2022 09:22, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 25/11/2022 09:06, steve hague wrote:
>>> How do I get rid of Black Friday messages before I see them?

Swerve to a different Thunderbird question.

Thunderbird behaves perfectly well in UMRA[1], but in another Newsgroup
it has started to behave very strangely.

It shows unread posts in BOLD, and the newsgroup title in the Left Hand
column shows the number of unread posts in brackets alongside it.

In that group, as I move to an unread post, the post changes from Bold
font to normal after a second or so, and the number in the left column
decrements by one. That's as it should be.

However... When I shift to the next post, that first post becomes BOLD
again, and the number in the left column increments back up again.
Rinse and repeat as I move down the 'unread' posts.

Hence, if I start out with (say) 80 unread posts, it will claim there
are still 80 outstanding, when I have gone through them all.

It only happens in that one newsgroup (alt.usage,english) and if I mark
the group as "Mark Newsgroup Read", and later go back to that group, it
will behave properly - only to start its antics again the following day.

Anyrat seen anything like this?

[1] Well it would, wouldn't it?

--
Sam Plusnet