Sid Update

BrritSki

Jan 30, 2023, 4:49:52 AM1/30/23
Friends, I'm still in Charing Cross Hospital, where I'm being
wonderfully well looked after and treated. Pain control is proving
"complex". I'm fairly comfortable much of the time, but there are still
times when it Really Isn't Funny. Lots of brainy and experienced people
are working on it and trying things; we'll get there in the end.

It has become clear that going home is not practicable. When the medics
here have done what they can, I'll move to a nursing home. Depending on
how things go medically and on availability, it will take a little while
- although I don't know how long "a little while" will be.

Meanwhile, calls, messages, emails etc remain very welcome. Thanks again
for the wonderful support and kindness that everyone has shown me. It
really means a lot.

With love,
David/Dai/Sid

And in an addendum for me showing he still retains his GSOH:
Just thought I'd mention that for dinner tonight I'll be having Pork &
Leek sausages. They were unable to tell me whether they'll be TOM ARCHER
pork and leek sausages.

To which I felt duty-bound to reply:
"Enjoy your sausages MOPMOB. Is there an obliging nurse who will help
you hide one for old times sake ?"

which raised a smile and mention of something called "libido" which I
have a vague recollection of...

krw

Jan 30, 2023, 5:08:16 AM1/30/23
Excellent news and a welcome laugh at the last part!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

BrritSki

Jan 30, 2023, 5:18:28 AM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 10:07, krw wrote:

> Excellent news

Excellent ? Maybe not clear that he won;t be going home ever.
Nursing home and then hospice :(

Serena Blanchflower

Jan 30, 2023, 7:56:28 AM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 09:49, BrritSki wrote:

> Meanwhile, calls, messages, emails etc remain very welcome. Thanks again
> for the wonderful support and kindness that everyone has shown me. It
> really means a lot.

I'm glad they're getting things under control, most of the time at
least, and that Sid's managing to hold onto his sense of humour. I do
hope that Matron has got the nursing staff under her control.

Am I right in assuming that cards sent to his home address will still
reach him OK? Or would Charing Cross Hospital be a safer bet?

--
Best wishes, Serena
England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.

BrritSki

Jan 30, 2023, 8:12:35 AM1/30/23
On 30/01/2023 12:56, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 30/01/2023 09:49, BrritSki wrote:
>>
>> Meanwhile, calls, messages, emails etc remain very welcome. Thanks
>> again for the wonderful support and kindness that everyone has shown
>> me. It really means a lot.
>
> I'm glad they're getting things under control, most of the time at
> least, and that Sid's managing to hold onto his sense of humour.  I do
> hope that Matron has got the nursing staff under her control.
>
> Am I right in assuming that cards sent to his home address will still
> reach him OK?  Or would Charing Cross Hospital be a safer bet?

I think his wife is still at home and there is a good support group, so
I assume that letters sent there will get to him.

Serena Blanchflower

Jan 30, 2023, 9:21:16 AM1/30/23
Thanks.

--
Best wishes, Serena
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change

krw

Jan 30, 2023, 10:29:12 AM1/30/23
Well perhaps not excellent. As you know my daughter was looked after in
a facility more suited to full time care and it made her life and that
of family members much easier - we might all prefer to be at home but
good places can provide better care from less stressed individuals than
at home and that should be easier for patient and family than either
hospital or being at home.

Chris

Jan 30, 2023, 3:41:46 PM1/30/23
Hospital post is a mystery, things go AWOL and then mysteriously get found.
Best to send it to the flat.

Mrs McT

Serena Blanchflower

Jan 31, 2023, 5:25:06 AM1/31/23
On 30/01/2023 20:41, Chris wrote:
> Hospital post is a mystery, things go AWOL and then mysteriously get found.
> Best to send it to the flat.

My experience of it has been better than yours, by the sound of it. It
has the advantage (when it's working as it should) of cards arriving
when there are no visitors, which is likely to be the time when a
cheerful card will give the biggest boost. This will only work if the
patient is still in the hospital the card has been sent to though...

--
Best wishes, Serena
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.

Chris

Jan 31, 2023, 10:39:45 AM1/31/23
Serena Blanchflower <nos...@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 30/01/2023 20:41, Chris wrote:
>> Hospital post is a mystery, things go AWOL and then mysteriously get found.
>> Best to send it to the flat.
>
> My experience of it has been better than yours, by the sound of it. It
> has the advantage (when it's working as it should) of cards arriving
> when there are no visitors, which is likely to be the time when a
> cheerful card will give the biggest boost. This will only work if the
> patient is still in the hospital the card has been sent to though...

Usually the patient has been moved to another ward.

Mrs McT

Serena Blanchflower

Jan 31, 2023, 11:32:46 AM1/31/23
IME, hospitals have been pretty good at tracking patients down and
getting the cards to them. Forwarding them for patients who have been
discharged tends to be slower though.

--
Best wishes, Serena

BrritSki

Feb 10, 2023, 4:07:31 AM2/10/23
Just a very quick email to let you know that I have moved from hospital
to a nursing home today. I am at
Athlone House
7A Woodfield Road
London
W9 2BA

I asked permission to share the address here, to which I received the
reply with his typical SOH:

Fine to share the address if people want to send cards, notes, £800,000
loans etc. No point in the number as it's just reception.

Can't really recommend cancer, all things considered.

:( Internuncio

John Ashby

Feb 10, 2023, 4:41:42 AM2/10/23
I suppose it's not doxxing if he said you could.

Thanks for this, Brritters.

john

Mike McMillan

Feb 10, 2023, 4:59:01 AM2/10/23
Oh Sid! That is kind of you, £800,000 would be very handy it would be more
than enough to cover the cost of our heat Pump installation! Do you have my
bank account details to hand? I look forward to it and will check my
account later…

Enjoy your new Notting Hill residence MOPMOB!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Nick Odell

Feb 10, 2023, 11:46:29 AM2/10/23
On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:07:27 +0000, BrritSki
<rtilbury...@gmail.com> wrote, on behalf of Sid:

loans etc. No point in the number as it's just reception.

>Can't really recommend cancer, all things considered.

So....
That would be a one-star Amazon review, then?

Nick

Mike McMillan

Feb 10, 2023, 2:11:16 PM2/10/23
Their second album …

Mike McMillan

Feb 10, 2023, 2:11:21 PM2/10/23

Chris

Feb 10, 2023, 3:28:11 PM2/10/23
I typed in the postcode. This s the first sentence in the home’s
description. Our bright and airy nursing home is situated in the stunning
Notting Hill area of London. Located in a vibrant part of Westminster,
close to Latimer Road tube .

Notting Hill stunning? Not the last time I was there (though I don’t think
I’ve ever been off at Latimer Rd station).

It’s not exactly “the Bush” either.

I shall visit a card shop in a day or two and see if I can find something
that might raise a grin.

Mrs McT

Hellerat

Feb 11, 2023, 7:21:46 AM2/11/23
Thank you for the info, BrritSki. I have Moonpigged a card to Sid and am currently kicking
myself as it was in the Worst Possible Taste and I only hope it makes him laugh, not upset
him.

--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat

BrritSki

Feb 11, 2023, 7:47:55 AM2/11/23
I'm sure it will be appreciated....

Sally Thompson

Feb 11, 2023, 5:50:51 PM2/11/23
BTN!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

Ben Blaney

Feb 12, 2023, 4:14:53 AM2/12/23
On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:07:31 AM UTC-5, BrritSki wrote:
> Just a very quick email to let you know that I have moved from hospital
> to a nursing home today. I am at

Roger - thanks for passing this on. Can you email me at myfirstnamemylastname at gmail please? I'm having a devil of a time trying to get even munged email addresses from the new layout of google groups. I had an email address for you, but I think it's long since dead.

Thanks!

(sorry to all for the utterly worthless post)

John Ashby

Feb 12, 2023, 5:44:47 AM2/12/23
I'm having a hard time adjudicating on this. I'm inclined to say no but
open to a persuasive explanation.

OTOH Cancer should get either a 5 star or a 10 star review based on main
stars or named stars.

john

BrritSki

Feb 14, 2023, 3:52:11 AM2/14/23
On 11/02/2023 12:23, Hellerat wrote:

> Thank you for the info, BrritSki. I have Moonpigged a card to Sid and am
> currently kicking myself as it was in the Worst Possible Taste and I
> only hope it makes him laugh, not upset him.

I am pleased to report that he found it hilarious and would like to
email you. Does your gumrat at gmail addy still work ? If not please
email me with a correction and I'll pass it on.

BrritSki

Feb 14, 2023, 3:55:16 AM2/14/23
Dear friends,

Well, the last couple of days have been... interesting. The move to
Athlone House was, frankly, frightful. When I arrived, no one even knew
who I was or where I should go, domestic arrangements were nonexistent,
like the wrong, horribly uncomfortable mattress - no, spellcheck, that's
*mattress,* not mistress - etc etc, then having to wait 40 minutes for
morphine which Was Not Funny At All etc etc. It was among the worst 36
hours of my life, but things have improved enormously since then, thank
heavens.

I now have my own slightly basic but fairly comfy room, medical care
seems to be far more on the ball, food is good, etc. All in all I'm
pretty comfy and being well looked after for now.

Thank you for the lovely, touching (and sometimes very funny) cards,
emails, £800,000 loans...er...sorry, scratch that one. More of the same
are always welcome.

With love,
David/Dai

Internuncio

Hellerat

Feb 14, 2023, 6:24:46 AM2/14/23
Yes, thanks, Brritski, have replied to you. V glad he laughed.

BrritSki

Feb 21, 2023, 10:10:52 AM2/21/23
Another update from Libby:

We spoke to Dai on the phone this morning and he was feeling “pretty
demolished”, but still managing to chat. He doesn’t have a terrible
cough, which is a small ray of light.

Yes, you can send flowers - he received the flowers we sent at the
weekend and was pleased about them. When we went into Athlone House
last week, we took a couple of bunches of daffodils, and it was quite
difficult to find any sort of vase - so if you’re sending flowers, it’s
probably best to have them in their own container.

All phone calls and written messages are very welcome still - just don’t
be surprised if he doesn’t pick up every time, or doesn’t have the
energy to stay on the line very long.

I wish there was some cheerier news to impart.

Internuncio

Chris

Feb 21, 2023, 12:21:18 PM2/21/23
Thanks Britters, and yes, I can confirm the paucity of vases in these
establishments.

Mrs McT