Travel

krw

Sep 10, 2021, 12:22:57 PM9/10/21
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose. Manchester seems to
have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.

Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes appears
to have been successful. Filling in lots of forms.

Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
much a last minute booking? We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
gather.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Mike Ruddock

Sep 10, 2021, 12:48:51 PM9/10/21
On 10/09/2021 17:22, krw wrote:
> Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
> missed the football but better than not I suppose.  Manchester seems to
> have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.
>
> Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes appears
> to have been successful.  Filling in lots of forms.
>
> Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
> much a last minute booking?  We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
> gather.

On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.

To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.

Mike Ruddock

Sam Plusnet

Sep 10, 2021, 3:30:32 PM9/10/21
Big? It was colossal.

--
Sam Plusnet

krw

Sep 10, 2021, 3:51:54 PM9/10/21
Bit like Liverpool. Was told that it was Titanic - but it was simply a
war memorial like memorial from before we had war memorials.

Mike McMillan

Sep 10, 2021, 3:52:46 PM9/10/21
All Rhodes led to the statue perhaps?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

John Ashby

Sep 10, 2021, 5:11:59 PM9/10/21
Rhodes must fall.

john

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Sep 10, 2021, 6:15:00 PM9/10/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 19:52:45, Mike McMillan
<toodl...@virginmedia.com> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):
>Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>> On 10-Sep-21 17:48, Mike Ruddock wrote:
[]
>>> On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
>>> shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.
>>>
>>> To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
>>> which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
>>> attraction.
>>>

>> Big? It was colossal.
>>

>All Rhodes led to the statue perhaps?

Those who had to learn Latin might remember the chant "Towns and small
islands, domus and rus" - as the things that don't take a preposition in
Latin. Where we would say "go TO Ambridge", the Romans would just say
"go Rome". (It survives into modern English - the domus part: we still
say "go home" rather than "go to home".) Oh, where was I? Oh yes:
someone asked "how do we know what counts as a small island?", and
answer came that Rhodes was the determining factor, as it sometimes took
a preposition and sometimes didn't - so a small island was "anything
smaller than Rhodes". Which caused some amusement as there was a large
boy in the sixth form called Rhodes. Well, it amused we schoolboys.

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
--
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20

Mike McMillan

Sep 11, 2021, 4:11:19 AM9/11/21
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 19:52:45, Mike McMillan
> <toodl...@virginmedia.com> wrote (my responses usually follow points
> raised):
>> Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>>> On 10-Sep-21 17:48, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> []

>>> Big? It was colossal.
>>>

>> All Rhodes led to the statue perhaps?
>>
> Those who had to learn Latin might remember the chant "Towns and small
> islands, domus and rus" - as the things that don't take a preposition in
> Latin. Where we would say "go TO Ambridge", the Romans would just say
> "go Rome". (It survives into modern English - the domus part: we still
> say "go home" rather than "go to home".) Oh, where was I? Oh yes:
> someone asked "how do we know what counts as a small island?", and
> answer came that Rhodes was the determining factor, as it sometimes took
> a preposition and sometimes didn't - so a small island was "anything
> smaller than Rhodes". Which caused some amusement as there was a large
> boy in the sixth form called Rhodes. Well, it amused we schoolboys.

Bunter? You said your postal order would arrive today - come on, PAY UP!

Tony Smith

Sep 11, 2021, 5:39:31 AM9/11/21
On Friday, 10 September 2021 at 17:48:51 UTC+1, ruddo...@btinternet.com wrote:

> To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
> which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
> attraction.

The statue of Rhodes was taken down because his imperialist actions had become unpopular.

Mike McMillan

Sep 11, 2021, 7:07:56 AM9/11/21
Perhaps they will erect it inside the Colston Hall in Brissle (next to the
washing machine).

Penny

Sep 11, 2021, 11:26:45 AM9/11/21
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 02:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith
<agsmit...@gmail.com> scrawled in the dust...
In my youth my nearest town was Bishop's Stortford, the birthplace of Cecil
Rhodes. I was only aware of him* because in 1963 The Rhodes Centre*** was
built and in my time there, had a statue of him outside it. I see what is
now an 'arts centre' had his name removed just last year - I've no idea
what happened to the big statue outside, no sign of it on streetview since
2009 but there is a bust in the museum.

* never mentioned in my studies of 'The Southern Continents' at school**,
perhaps because it was confusing enough to have maps and books which
disagreed about the names of several countries.

** I 'did' that book two years running, having moved across the county and
changed curriculum - don't think I learnt much.

*** a general 'venue' - I first entered it to see the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah
Band play and a year or two later to attend B2's wedding reception.
--
Penny
Happiness comes in through doors you didn't even know you'd left open.