Going back to Solar and Battery

Mike McMillan

Feb 15, 2024, 12:21:21 PMFeb 15

Sorry, can’t access the original thread so have started a new:

I mentioned the saving sessions that my energy supplier has run lately… I
have participated by sending them energy from my battery during ‘Peaker
Stations’ times in the last few months. My statement is on its’ way but I
have the figures from there messages to me:

‘So far you've earned 265496 Octopoints (or £331.87 ) over 11 Saving
Sessions.’

This is equivalent to providing me with 1,921 kW/h of heat pump fodder
which will go a long way towards paying my winter quarter energy bill! For
the record, I have only been able to export any meaningful amount of energy
to the grid since my Tesla controls were configured to allow me to export
from the battery in early December; about 5 saving sessions of 1 hour each.
The rate varies and can be as high as £4 per kW/h.

As an addendum, further to my previous answers regarding the depth of
discharge for my Tesla Powerwall based system, I note that occasionally,
the app stops the charging at 97% though other days, it continues to 100%.
As I think I have implied, the battery claims a capacity of 13.5 kW/h per
unit (I have 2 linked together for my battery) and I think this is USABLE
capacity and actually holds a little more and the BMS (battery management
system) has overall control for protection and to provide best results. The
lowest I have ever run the capacity down to is (I think) some 5% but the
system seems happy to accept such conditions. Normally, I have the
‘reserve’ capacity set to 20% to cater for any power outages as ~5.4 kW/h
would enable me to minimise the demand and if required, keep the heat pump
going for some hours. (In the present warm weather, demand is under 0.5
kW/h. to heat the whole house to 22.5 degrees C.

Just saying…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan