which 36" TV - are they all full of 'features'?

photoniq

Mar 7, 2002, 5:50:51 AM3/7/02
I was so confused by the array of issues with 36" TV's that I just gave up
on the whole thing. Consequently my family are still watching TV on a 14"
Portable (the main tv died a while ago).

Which 36" CRT TV has the least problems (and the best picture)? I am
looking for anything under £2000, and sound is not important as I intend to
buy an AV Amp etc.

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to look for the TV with the least
problems as opposed to the TV with the best quality :(

I would have considered RP but my room is not big enough to accomodate the
huge screen sizes, and I have a requirement for the TV to be viewed from
quite an angle (which I believe is an issue for RP).

Thanks in advance for your replies -

AK.

Mark T

Mar 7, 2002, 6:00:35 AM3/7/02
IMO the 2 best ones are:

Panasonic 36PL & Sony FS36

I have the Sony and love it. The Panasonic seems to be very highly rated.
Just make sure you buy your TV from somewhere where you can changed it
easily i.e. John Lewis.
This way buy one if you dont like it you can swap it again or get a refund
without any hassle, you could give them all a try and then decide which one
you prefer!!

"photoniq" <phot...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> I was so confused by the array of issues with 36" TV's that I just gave up
> on the whole thing. Consequently my family are still watching TV on a 14"
> Portable (the main tv died a while ago).
>
> Which 36" CRT TV has the least problems (and the best picture)? I am

> looking for anything under Ł2000, and sound is not important as I intend

Simon

Mar 7, 2002, 9:58:47 AM3/7/02
Go for Sony.

"Mark T" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Keith D

Mar 7, 2002, 1:50:29 PM3/7/02
Sorry to butt in but have Sony sorted out the 'tie-line' problems or can
you still see these annoying little vertical lines on the picture ?

Cheers,
Keith
"Simon" <con...@goldtempest.co.uk> wrote in message

> Go for Sony.
>

> "Mark T" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > IMO the 2 best ones are:
> >
> > Panasonic 36PL & Sony FS36
> >
> > I have the Sony and love it. The Panasonic seems to be very highly
rated.
> > Just make sure you buy your TV from somewhere where you can changed it
> > easily i.e. John Lewis.
> > This way buy one if you dont like it you can swap it again or get a
refund
> > without any hassle, you could give them all a try and then decide which
> one
> > you prefer!!
> >

> > "photoniq" <phot...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I was so confused by the array of issues with 36" TV's that I just
gave
> up
> > > on the whole thing. Consequently my family are still watching TV on a
> 14"
> > > Portable (the main tv died a while ago).
> > >
> > > Which 36" CRT TV has the least problems (and the best picture)? I am

> > > looking for anything under £2000, and sound is not important as I

fb

Mar 7, 2002, 3:24:59 PM3/7/02
It's not just that, if you take a look at the AV Forums
http://www.avforums.com/ .

You'll see quite a lot of Sony Horror stories, some people have had 3 or 4
sets before they got one without a fault.

"Keith D" <spsc...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message

Gav

Mar 8, 2002, 10:14:22 AM3/8/02
"photoniq" <phot...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1015498074.362880@sj-nntpcache-5>...

> I would have considered RP but my room is not big enough to accomodate the

> huge screen sizes, and I have a requirement for the TV to be viewed from
> quite an angle (which I believe is an issue for RP).
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies -

Why not consider a basic 28" TV for everyday viewing and a front
projector for 'specials'? You could get a decent combination of the
two for your 2000 quid.

Gav

Craig Ferguson

Mar 10, 2002, 9:18:59 AM3/10/02
I got the Panasonic 36" 100hz one, from Empire direct for about £1450 inc
delivery. Very pleased with it. I didnt go for the dolby digital one as like
yourself I am going to be working the sound via an amp anyway. Any info you
need on it, feel free to contact me.

Best of luck
Craig

anaya...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 6:48:52 PM9/25/12
well i cant find any arrays for 36 will u hmu

R. Mark Clayton

Sep 26, 2012, 11:29:52 AM9/26/12
Gosh just ten years and: -

1. You would find it almost impossible to buy a [new] CRT TV.

2. HDMI and digital optical out now pretty standard (giving Dolby in the AV
amp) - this had Scarts.

3. Digital rather than analogue receiver.

4. A 32" (equivalent image size to a 36" CRT) TV would now cost you under
�200 - a bit more for a Pan'y. In real terms about 10% of the price ten
years ago!

I actually saw one of these vast CRT's (4:3 39"!)~2003. Quite a good
picture (for the time), but boy was it big and heavy, there must have been
claims from the delivery drivers for hernias and slipped discs etc. Even
the 36" was 42kg.

Still listed on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX36PL30-100Hz-Widescreen-Television/dp/B00006AUEA
but unavailable!

<anaya...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Toby Newman

Sep 27, 2012, 3:46:09 AM9/27/12
On 2012-09-26, R. Mark Clayton <nospam...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Gosh just ten years and: -
>
> 1. You would find it almost impossible to buy a [new] CRT TV.
>
> 2. HDMI and digital optical out now pretty standard (giving Dolby in the AV
> amp) - this had Scarts.
>
> 3. Digital rather than analogue receiver.
>
> 4. A 32" (equivalent image size to a 36" CRT) TV would now cost you under
> £200 - a bit more for a Pan'y. In real terms about 10% of the price ten
> years ago!
>

> I actually saw one of these vast CRT's (4:3 39"!)~2003. Quite a good
> picture (for the time), but boy was it big and heavy, there must have been
> claims from the delivery drivers for hernias and slipped discs etc. Even
> the 36" was 42kg.
>
> Still listed on Amazon
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX36PL30-100Hz-Widescreen-Television/dp/B00006AUEA
> but unavailable!

I used to have that exact television. It was big enough to include an
internal subwoofer, I think that demonstrates the size quite well!

The picture was better than the £200 Samsung flatscreen my wife uses
now, but my Panasonic plasma eclipses it in picture quality. Mind you: now
I have to tolerate fan noise where the old CRT was almost silent (save
for the 16000Hz tube whine).

--
-Toby

R. Mark Clayton

Sep 27, 2012, 2:48:33 PM9/27/12

"Toby Newman" <goo...@asktoby.com> wrote in message
> On 2012-09-26, R. Mark Clayton <nospam...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Gosh just ten years and: -
>>
>> 1. You would find it almost impossible to buy a [new] CRT TV.
SNIP

> I used to have that exact television. It was big enough to include an
> internal subwoofer, I think that demonstrates the size quite well!

I had an earlier 29" Philips MF9021 - great picture especially off D-MAC or
D2-MAC.

Did widescreen well albeit in a letterbox.

Also had a woofer and the native sound was good.

> The picture was better than the £200 Samsung flatscreen my wife uses
> now, but my Panasonic plasma eclipses it in picture quality. Mind you: now
> I have to tolerate fan noise where the old CRT was almost silent (save
> for the 16000Hz tube whine).

I now have a 42" LG. The SD pictures are no better (because the resoltion
is the same, and because the pixels are larger close up they are visible (OK
from normal distance). The old set had analog terrestial and SD satellite
via Scart. The new one has DTT and Freesat HD built in.

OTOH on HD the new one is far better.

Dolby to the AV amp as well so whilst the built in speaker are basic (OK for
news etc.) the sound is better too.