jigs and digs

Wayne Johnson

Jan 30, 2002, 2:59:19 PM1/30/02
http://lucianne.com/threads22.asp?artnum=154356

Community service mandate for public housing residents being repealed
© 2001 The Associated Press, by SHANNON McCAFFREY

Original Article

Posted By:FLgator, 11/25/2001 5:29:05 PM

A requirement that certain able-bodied public housing tenants perform
community service or face eviction is being put on hold before most
communities ever implement it. And it may end up being scrapped
altogether.
The provision was the most divisive part of a public housing overhaul
three
years ago, with critics saying it unfairly targeted the poor. "It is
one of
the silliest things Congress has ever done," said Sheila Crowley,
executive
director of the National Low Income Housing Coalition. "It compels
adults
who have committed no crime to do work for no wages. That's purely
punitive
and purely anti-poor."

Comments:

----
Reply 1 - Posted by: WeenerDog, 11/25/2001 5:39:10 PM

Receiving public housing is a form of compensation, no 'zero' wages.

----

Reply 2 - Posted by: KidRed, 11/25/2001 5:39:59 PM

A slave of the state, voluntarily. It provides no dignity for the
individual, just makes politicians look better to the voting asses.

----

Reply 3 - Posted by: mobyclik, 11/25/2001 5:42:29 PM

EIGHT HOURS A MONTH???? The lazy, stinking, no good for nothing,
welfare
grubbing drain on honest, working taxpayers!!!

TWO HOURS A WEEK!!! To get damn near free rent, these scumbag lowlifes
can't
even do something for THEIR OWN NEIGHBORHOODS ???

This fries me. The useless baby machines must truely believe we enjoy
working to make their wasted lives livable.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

----

Reply 4 - Posted by: Clark Petrie, 11/25/2001 5:43:24 PM

Work for no wages?! How about being able to live indoors? Isn't that a
benefit?

I see by the article that HUD is glad to get rid of the requirement. I
guess
that's because it means they can increase their constituency - typical
bureaucratic response.

----

Reply 5 - Posted by: Charles F. Nager, 11/25/2001 5:44:07 PM

The nerve of some people expecting the leaches to earn somthing for
themselves.
This was tried in East St. louis Ill many years ago. Some court shot
it down
chas

----

Reply 6 - Posted by: DrSteve, 11/25/2001 5:44:44 PM

I wonder what Ms. Crowley thinks of most able-bodied adults' being
compelled
to pay taxes to provide housing for people with no wages. She's
outraged,
I'm sure!

I'm suspicious of communitarians generally, but even they're an
improvement
on the "zero responsibility" folks like Ms. Crowley.

----

Reply 7 - Posted by: luvamerica, 11/25/2001 5:58:01 PM

What is so wrong with people contributing to their community?

----

Reply 8 - Posted by: bustersmom, 11/25/2001 5:58:34 PM

"It is one of the silliest things Congress has ever done," said Sheila
Crowley, executive director of the National Low Income Housing
Coalition.
"It compels adults who have committed no crime to do work for no
wages.
That's purely punitive and purely anti-poor."

The wages, as referred to, are the monies used to supplement their
rent and
utilities. Why is that so difficult to understand? Its not fair to
make them
work for their keep, but it is fair to take the food, clothing and
educational opportunities from my children (I work and pay taxes) to
ensure
they are comfortable? BS

----

Reply 9 - Posted by: bustersmom, 11/25/2001 6:06:02 PM

OK, this will sound heartless, but its my honest oppinion.

When you give handouts you kill the desire for improving your
conditions. A
comfortable person is not ambitious. As long as we continue to coddle
the
indegent, we actually harm any chance they will ever have of sucess.

We have a whole generation of people who don't understand that the
sweat of
your brow buys economic freedom. We are actually being more cruel than
kind
by supporting these people.

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about people who are unable to
work due
to a severe, and thats the important word...severe, physical or mental
handicap. I am talking about able bodied people who simply choose not
work, not to strive for the better life. They should be given the
opportunity to live the life they choose. Why take that freedom away?

----

Reply 10 - Posted by: bjdehart, 11/25/2001 6:07:59 PM

What in the h@#@!ll's the difference between these lazy bums and our
school
children being forced to do community service before they can
graduate???????

----

Reply 11 - Posted by: shimmer, 11/25/2001 6:18:38 PM

I'm with you, Bustersmom. But since we are coddling this lazy baggage,
they
should have to do some work for the community.
How did we get here???? How did we sink so low to literally support
some
people, free housing, free food, free bill money. free free free. Free
them, but WE are paying for it! And all they do is whine. It's not a
living
wage, it's not enough. They feel disassociated. They don't feel a part
of
America. Give 'em cheese to go with that whine.

----

Reply 12 - Posted by: vivaldi, 11/25/2001 6:22:27 PM

And yet again, the age-old question arises:

Are people like Sheila born this stupid, or do they work at it? Do
they get
credit for "stupid" classes?

She just received my opinion of her statements. I'm sure she'd welcome
yours.

----

Reply 13 - Posted by: shamus, 11/25/2001 6:23:29 PM

HUD is completely worthless, and should be abolished.

----

Reply 14 - Posted by: treflia, 11/25/2001 6:32:13 PM

----

Reply 15 - Posted by: greatpatriot, 11/25/2001 6:35:27 PM

anti-poor hell,

it's PRO-LAZY!!!!!!

----

Reply 16 - Posted by: halfgenius, 11/25/2001 6:36:02 PM

Wha....abolish HUD, My goodness, what would all those African-american
leeches do for money? How could coumo maintain his harem? That would
be
un-dimocreep like, uh uh, do can do!

----

Reply 17 - Posted by: bustersmom, 11/25/2001 6:41:37 PM

You know, when I was young, my parents made me work for my money. We
were by
no means poor, but my parents believed that I should learn the value
of a
dollar. When I got my first part time job in high school, my parents
claimed
a percentage for room and board (in reality they put it into a savings
account for my college). I bought my clothes, my car paid for my
insurance
and any other luxeries I wanted. When I needed more money, I
moonlighted.
None of this affected my grades, I still graduated at 16, but it did
affect
my attitude. I knew that if you wanted something you worked for it,
not
whined for it.

----

Reply 18 - Posted by: Scottyh, 11/25/2001 6:46:50 PM

Promote the general welfare? I wonder if that means free housing.

----

Reply 19 - Posted by: bustersmom, 11/25/2001 6:52:14 PM

and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of
America

I think we should allow people the liberty to choose their lots in
life, you
don't work you are free to starve.

----

Reply 20 - Posted by: Melin, 11/25/2001 6:57:59 PM

What is punative is paying taxes and working all my life to take care
of
worthless bums.

----

Reply 21 - Posted by: Standing Wolf, 11/25/2001 7:20:45 PM

Leftists are to America
as the Taliban are to freedom!

----

Reply 22 - Posted by: Saryden, 11/25/2001 7:48:34 PM

Have pity! They were taught from infancy that they had been
mistreated. Now
they expect (and DEMAND) that the rest of who had no part in any
mistreatment should be eternally responsible for carrying them on our
backs.
Poor stupid creatures. They are probably passing that wrong message on
their many offspring right now. They will not become survivors, but
will
remain weak and always discontented and operating from weakness. Poor
things!!! They had better wake up and see what the smarter members of
their
group and accomplishing and gaining.

----

Reply 23 - Posted by: grnberet, 11/25/2001 7:59:04 PM

Parisites live off of anything that is alive. Nature made them what
they
are.

----

Reply 24 - Posted by: bustersmom, 11/25/2001 8:05:59 PM

nature didn't make them what they are, Democrats did.

----

Reply 25 - Posted by: navy brat, 11/25/2001 8:18:37 PM

I have never committed a crime and I have to work for my wages.

----

Reply 26 - Posted by: maggie2u, 11/25/2001 8:18:43 PM

Kudos to Bustersmom.... You have it exactly right!

----

Reply 27 - Posted by: jasmine, 11/25/2001 8:42:33 PM

Giving people "something for nothing" comes with a high price. It
takes away
incentive to produce, and instills the belief that taking
responsibility for
one's self and one's family is optional. Not a good way to "help"
people get
back on their feet. It could encourage just the opposite.

----

Reply 28 - Posted by: Southernlady, 11/25/2001 8:53:45 PM

Well, our government has promoted welfare to heights our forefathers
could
never have imagined.

The only way I can fight back is to pay very close attention to my
income
and how I spend it. My new year's resolution is to keep track of every
penny
I spend and try to make as much as possible tax deductible. It will
take a
concerted effort, but it will give me more of a sense of
accomplishment than
anything else I could do.

----

Reply 29 - Posted by: Scottyh, 11/25/2001 9:02:42 PM

Promote: to contribute to the growth or prosperity of.

I think I've contributed enough.

----

Reply 30 - Posted by: ClangClang, 11/25/2001 10:37:21 PM

Abolishing HUD is the only way to stop this nonsense.

----

Reply 31 - Posted by: noinfo, 11/25/2001 10:50:04 PM

So its fair for me to work to pay for my housing, and then get tax to
pay
for these low life housing. Ms (thing) Sheila Crowley for people like
you
that doesnot think it fair that people have to work for housing YOU
and
PEOPLE that believes like you support these low life that want nothing
but
to sponge off other people.

---
"Corporatized or idealized, hip-hop is the American Dream and the African
American Nightmare rolled into one fat-ass blunt."
Charles Aaron Spin (Nov.1998)
Ed Brown - darks...@home.net
http://www.charm.net/~darkstar
PubKey http://www.charm.net/~darkstar/public_key.html