Waiting on the second coming

1 view
Message has been deleted

Newton Joseph

Feb 1, 2004, 3:20:13 PM2/1/04
PLEASE, JESUS, WE CAN'T AFFORD YOU TO COME BACK

By New 10

Millions of people are awaiting the return of Jesus Christ. I wonder if
these

Simple souls really give any thought to how this will happen? Who would he

Choose to approach and say. Hi! I'm Jesus Christ? How many people would take

Him seriously? After all, many men (and some women) in the back wards of
mental

Hospitals claim they are Jesus Christ, whom should we believe? Would he
reveal

Himself to a hooker (AKA a prostitute) as he washes her feet in Times Square
New

York? or Joe, the humble butcher in Metairie, Louisiana? Or possibly to
Father

Gregory the pedophile priest in Minneapolis or to a Bantu tribesman in Zair?

Which group would he reveal himself to? His co-religionists, the Jews

(Would Christians be happy with such an act? ). Would they want to Jump on
the

Bandwagon to use an old metaphor and want to become Jews? Or will he reveal

Himself to born again Christians? Would he know or even understand a
Catholic,

Protestant, Greek Orthodox, Baptist, or any of the hundreds of denominations
that

Use his name? Would people meeting him for the first time salute him, shake
his

Hand, bow down on their knees or kiss his feet? Would he fall from the sky
like a

Meteor or will he drive up in a Mercedes, a Chevy, a flying saucer, a
Greyhound

Bus, on a cloud or on an ass?

Will he be recognized by the medieval rendition of him with long blond hair

And beard with blue eyes, or the earlier Byzantine depletion of him being a
very dark

Skinned man with short black kinky hair? Would the people in the Bible belt
really

Accept him with these features? Will he be freshly showered, with clean

Underwear? Will he be wearing an Armani suit, or a tunic? (I don't want to
seem

Disrespectful but these are just some of the many questions that come to
mind.)

Will he speak English with or without an accent, Aramaic, Hebrew, Latin or

Yiddish? How old will he be when he returns? Remember, he supposedly died

2,000 years ago. Will he have any physical maladies that we are prone to?
Does

He have plaque on his teeth? I assume he doesn't floss.

Would he be treated like a superstar with his own stretched limo? Would he

Have any credibility if he wore Florham wing tip shoes, or will he be
wearing

Sandals? I'm assuming that he will not appear naked, so where does he buy
his

Clothes? Would the Pope and Jesus become pals and drink beer together as
they

Swap stories? Since the Jews are still waiting the return of the Messiah,
would the

Jews claim "Him" for themselves?

When he returns will there still be a need for priests and ministers to
interpret

His message? Wouldn't his return make their jobs superfluous? Wouldn't
people

Get the word right from the horse's mouth - in a manner of speaking? Will
NBC

Give him a time slot opposite 60 Minutes with his own program? Will Pat

Robertson, Benny Hinn, Oral Roberts and Billy Graham and the other
televangelists

Who have been waiting the return of Jesus really want that to happen? Would
they

Be able to exist with that kind of competition?

-2-

Seeing they have made capital on the promise of his return, wouldn't it be

reasonable to assume they would claim he is the false messiah, the devil or
the

anti-Christ? How would people react if "he" pointed out all the errors in
the Bible

and about himself for setting them straight?

Would it be possible to discard all that they hold dear, or would it be
easier

to discard Jesus? Would they lynch him, crucify or shoot him?

Which religious sect would he favor, if any? And what would happen to the

ones he didn't? Would people agree with what he might say today in a modern

technological world, and would it be applicable, seeing he has been gone for
so

many years? How would Jesus feel when he discovers Catholics everywhere were

gnawing on his body for so many years?

I could go on almost forever with my questions and I'm sure you have many

of your own.

If you would ask a thousand believing Christians these very same questions,

in order to avoid mundane answers, they would have to resort to
"supernatural"

answers. They would be creative, amazing, fantastic and most of all
hilarious

(which would make an interesting book on humor).

I think as soon as "he" would become a definable, intelligible person with
an

identity, he would be seen as just another homogeneous guy. Perhaps with a

soiled shirt, perhaps wearing glasses and who knows speaks with a lisp or a

stutter, most people would lose interest in him very quickly. They would
have to

invent another mysterious, invisible, unknowable, supernatural somebody. He
only

holds Christians' interest as long as he remains hidden in the clouds.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought there is a deep fear held by
all

Christian theologians and "Faith Healers" that Jesus would come back. If he
does

they are out of business, the game is over and the money stops flowing in.
Since

televangelists have been so successful at hawking the concept of Jesus as a
God,

wouldn't you agree they would make great used car salesmen? As long as he

remains hidden from view it's business as usual. The cash will keep flowing
in as

long as the promise of his return (like the carrot and the stick). This
charade has

gone on for nearly 2,000 years. And yet they wait, wait and wait.

drnj...@socal.rr.com

darkly

Feb 11, 2004, 5:54:31 PM2/11/04
"Newton Joseph" <drnj...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<1cdTb.2346$ow4....@twister.socal.rr.com>...

> PLEASE, JESUS, WE CAN'T AFFORD YOU TO COME BACK
>

> By New 10
>

> Millions of people are awaiting the return of Jesus Christ. I wonder if
> these
>
> Simple souls really give any thought to how this will happen? Who would he
>
> Choose to approach and say. Hi! I'm Jesus Christ? How many people would take
>
> Him seriously? After all, many men (and some women) in the back wards of
> mental
>
> Hospitals claim they are Jesus Christ, whom should we believe? Would he
> reveal
>
> Himself to a hooker (AKA a prostitute) as he washes her feet in Times Square
> New

Why can't we just believe that there are great leaders and will always
be great men

and women who; 1. Speak straight from the soul of the collective
unconscious; and 2.

Act as giant unifying and culture changing memes. (Martin Luther King
deserves his

own bible.) Perhaps the fact that it has been so long since the last
great men died, and

todays leaders seem so-so in comparison, is proof enough that their
is a great

vacuum to be filled in these modern times.( At least in the American
conscious.)

Perhaps they are already out there, but won't be appreciated until
they pass on.

Perhaps the cultural mechanism that made them is regrouping to create
those that can

withstand the media's constant probing and degradation of the
characters of anyone

who might have otherwise filled the void. Hence; a second coming of
sorts.

I do know that I live in the richest county in the world, and children
still eat out of

trashcans and sleep in cars. I recently learned that homelessness and
poverty

skyrocketed in the 80's when affordable housing was cut back. We
really need

someone in the public eye to say. "Gee wiz, that is wrong." Who will
withstand the

pummelling he or she will receive for speaking out.

:)

Dark.