Yellow, not a happy colour

Firu

Apr 9, 2020, 10:55:08 AM4/9/20
Not if you paint a pub with it.

The Golden Lion in Todmorden was white, now it's partly yellow and the
local council are a bit unhappy. It's a grade 2 listed building and the
owners didn't have the correct form or something and they got dobbed in.

Cue threats of a 20K GBP fine and six months behind the wickets.

And all this despite the building being orange and pink in the past.

Gotta love bureaucracy.

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Apr 9, 2020, 12:08:57 PM4/9/20
In article <r6nd0b$8kr$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
writes
I'm afraid with the current virus idiocy there will be a lot more of
this from the professional jobsworths and indeed the police.

The yellow shade used is somewhat sudden, a more pleasing shade such as
Hapsburg Yellow which is prevalent in Austria might just have let them
get away with it.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Firu

Apr 10, 2020, 5:01:59 AM4/10/20
On 09/04/2020 17:08, Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <r6nd0b$8kr$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com> writes
>> Not if you paint a pub with it.
>>
>> The Golden Lion in Todmorden was white, now it's partly yellow and the
>> local council are a bit unhappy. It's a grade 2 listed building and
>> the owners
>> didn't have the correct form or something and they got dobbed in.
>>
>> Cue threats of a 20K GBP fine and six months behind the wickets.
>>
>> And all this despite the building being orange and pink in the past.
>>
>> Gotta love bureaucracy.
>
> I'm afraid with the current virus idiocy there will be a lot more of
> this from the professional jobsworths and indeed the police.
>
> The yellow shade used is somewhat sudden, a more pleasing shade such as
> Hapsburg Yellow which is prevalent in Austria might just have let them
> get away with it.
>
> Mike

Saw the picture, it is a bit wow! I wondered if the building being
listed has a bearing on the colours you can use? Who decides on which
colours are OK? Daughter lives in Calderdaje and they seem to have form,
with some petty stuff narking them while letting some huge cockups through.

Speaking of jobsworths, Chief constable of Northamptonshire is talking
about searching shoppers trolleys for 'non essential' items. Is gin an
essential? And if you've got gin does tonic become essential too?

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Apr 10, 2020, 6:03:06 AM4/10/20
In article <r6pcm6$sfn$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
I saw that, he was wearing the wrong uniform, should have had an arm
band with a swastika.

I have a couple of dozen single malts at various stages of emptyness but
they are not for quaffing.

I'm afraid my litre of Bells and 2 litre of ginger ale a week are
essential in keeping me sane during lock down.

Being old farts we are told to stay indoors, I've tried to shop on line
but Morrisons and Asda have no delivery spots available, even Asda click
and collect are all booked for weeks, the other supermarkets who deliver
aren't letting new accounts be set up.

We risked Morrisons last week but no bread flour, tinned beans or
tomatoes, my wife bakes her own bread and the last bag of bread flour
was used yesterday.

Firu

Apr 10, 2020, 10:12:26 AM4/10/20
On 10/04/2020 10:57, Mike Swift wrote:

> I saw that, he was wearing the wrong uniform, should have had an arm
> band with a swastika.
>
> I have a couple of dozen single malts at various stages of emptyness but
> they are not for quaffing.
>
> I'm afraid my litre of Bells and 2 litre of ginger ale a week are
> essential in keeping me sane during lock down.
>
> Being old farts we are told to stay indoors, I've tried to shop on line
> but Morrisons and Asda have no delivery spots available, even Asda click
> and collect are all booked for weeks, the other supermarkets who deliver
> aren't letting new accounts be set up.
>
> We risked Morrisons last week but no bread flour, tinned beans or
> tomatoes, my wife bakes her own bread and the last bag of bread flour
> was used yesterday.

I've been trudging the supermarkets roundabouts and I've been able to
get some alcohol, lust none of my favoured Jim Beam, but there are
passable alternatives. (I'm not discerning enough for single malts and I
hate the major brands)

Daughter has plenty of flour, yeast is a problem round these parts so
were messing about with soda bread. Aldi had beans and toms yesterday in
Elland.

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Apr 10, 2020, 11:05:21 AM4/10/20
In article <r6pus8$lbt$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
writes

>Daughter has plenty of flour, yeast is a problem round these parts so were
>messing about with soda bread. Aldi had beans and toms yesterday in

My wife has a great Soda Bread recipe, I could post it here if you like.

Firu

Apr 10, 2020, 3:05:18 PM4/10/20
On 10/04/2020 15:56, Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <r6pus8$lbt$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com> writes
>>
>> Daughter has plenty of flour, yeast is a problem round these parts so
>> were
>> messing about with soda bread. Aldi had beans and toms yesterday in
>
> My wife has a great Soda Bread recipe, I could post it here if you like.
>
> Mike

Ooh yes please, always better to have something that's been done in the
real world.

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Apr 10, 2020, 8:39:31 PM4/10/20
In article <r6qg1d$htv$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
writes
>>> Daughter has plenty of flour, yeast is a problem round these parts so
>>> were
>>> messing about with soda bread. Aldi had beans and toms yesterday in
>>
>> My wife has a great Soda Bread recipe, I could post it here if you like.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>Ooh yes please, always better to have something that's been done in the
>real world.

Irish soda bread
Ingredients
o 170g / 6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
o 170g / 6oz plain flour
o ½ tsp salt
o ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
o 290m / ½ pint buttermilk

Preparation method
1. Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / Gas 6.

2. Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing
bowl and stir.

3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing
quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the
absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough
seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)

4. Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing
on a lightly floured baking sheet.

5. Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until
the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack

I think my wife added a bit more bicarb as her first attempts were a bit
flat, the above is very eatable but you may need to tweak a bit
depending on your oven etc.

Kirkheaton had a WW2 make do and mend celebration at our community
centre last year for the 80 years of the war starting with posters and
ration allowances information, my wife baked a batch of Soda Bread to
the recipe and cut it into samples, with butter, which wasn't available
back then.

I printed out a couple of dozen copies of the recipe which flew off the
table and had to print out more.

Post what you think when you've made some.

Firu

Apr 12, 2020, 10:34:15 AM4/12/20
On 11/04/2020 01:35, Mike Swift wrote:
> Post what you think when you've made some.
>
> Mike

Today was the day, made three loaves. Yeah, got a bit carried away!

Used all the wholemeal flour in the first, it's really good, lovely
crust and not too dense.

Second was white flour and oats. That really was a bit special. The oats
add a bit extra to plain white bread and with a few sprinkled on top
before baking, a lush toasted oaty crunch.

The last we had to make buttermilk. And we added a little honey and some
ground nuts. I'm not a sweet bread person really but my daughter and son
in law loved it.

Butter milk replacement, half a pint of whole milk and a tablespoon on
vinegar or lemon juice. Mix and leave to stand for 5 mins before use.

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Apr 12, 2020, 11:34:40 AM4/12/20
In article <r6v8t6$nq5$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>