Re: Globalcon 2020 - 18th of July 2020 - online

Mike Swift

Jul 5, 2020, 8:10:09 PM7/5/20
In article <a9895cc2-c670-4c1c...@googlegroups.com>,
mcgee...@gmail.com writes
>I am inviting all Ulygans that are left to come online on 18th of July via
>google meeting. GLOBAL CON 2020. With the current restrictions on a real
>pub crawl to celebrate 20 years of UK local Yorkshire. I would like to agree
>with Mike Swift to hold this online. Between 1.PM Saturday 18th July 2020 till
>7.P.M. All guests must submit a username on this thread if they wish to be
>invited. There is also an extra catch to this CON. All users who are invited
>must go to a supermarket and buy at least one I.P.A. beer. All users will
>submit the I.P.A. they wish to nominate during their username RSVP. All
>genuine invitees will welcome to the google meeting on the day. If we get
>more than 50 people, then It will be divided into rooms. I am submitting 5
>google meeting rooms, in which I will need a host for each room to make
>sure we can cope with upto 250 people. Doubting this turn out... I am hoping
>this thread wil reach you all. Soi

Sadly Soi it's only me and thee reading uly these days, and I only look
in occasionally.

The good days of uly are long gone, a pity but fact.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Al

Nov 6, 2020, 11:28:03 AM11/6/20
Try again I’ll rock up but I don’t wear jumpers

Mike Clayton

Apr 3, 2021, 12:12:56 PM4/3/21

Mike Clayton

Apr 3, 2021, 12:13:42 PM4/3/21
On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 4:28:03 PM UTC, Al wrote:
Seems like I missed this.

Mike Swift

Apr 3, 2021, 8:37:17 PM4/3/21
In article <a0f54133-72a4-4360...@googlegroups.com>,
Mike Clayton <mikelc...@gmail.com> writes
>Seems like I missed this.

Nothing to miss, as I posted the happy days of ULY are gone, last time I
looked even the Face Book page hasn't had a post for ages.

Nice to see someone other than me is still subscribed to ULY.

Maybe an old farts con, we must all be knocking on a bit after 20 odd
years, I know I am facing my three quarter century this September :-)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rolf Devons

Apr 4, 2021, 8:48:05 AM4/4/21
Mike,
Matt Hancock is up in court Tuesday over opening pubs indoors on April 12th.
I may organize Globalcon 2020 delayed. Hoping to get a con going for Slaithwaite and maybe a beer crawl between huddersfield and the brockholes area and slaithwaite in them valley areas..
See what happens.
Soi

Mike Clayton

Apr 13, 2021, 12:16:04 PM4/13/21
I am certainly knocking on, 78 this year, God willing. Yes it's a shame about ULY it was great at the time, some very nice people that it was a pleasure to meet up with. Life moves on though, and I have many happy memories of ULY. I could probably manage to stagger to a con if it was in Huddersfield :)

Oliver Simmons (GoodClover)

Oct 3, 2021, 3:20:03 PM10/3/21
On 13/04/2021 5:16 pm, Mike Clayton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 1:37:17 AM UTC+1, Mike Swift wrote:
>> Nothing to miss, as I posted the happy days of ULY are gone, last time I
>> looked even the Face Book page hasn't had a post for ages.
>>
>> Nice to see someone other than me is still subscribed to ULY.
>>
>> Maybe an old farts con, we must all be knocking on a bit after 20 odd
>> years, I know I am facing my three quarter century this September :-)
>> Mike
>
> I am certainly knocking on, 78 this year, God willing. Yes it's a shame about ULY it was great at the time, some very nice people that it was a pleasure to meet up with. Life moves on though, and I have many happy memories of ULY. I could probably manage to stagger to a con if it was in Huddersfield :)

It's rather odd all this, I'm new to Usenet/newsgroups and am reading
through old posts on the few groups that aren't full of spam.

The repeating pattern is a few spaced-out (in time) posts up until 2016,
then nothing.
Then, after a massive gap, people are talking by some miracle, and are
reminiscing about how lively and enjoyable these places used to be.

I just wish I could've been there when it was happening, this seems like
it used to be such a nice place to discuss things. Miles better than any
of the 'social medias'.

Hope everyone's doing well.

--
Oliver Simmons (GoodClover)
=> gemini://goodclover.xyz

Mike Swift

Oct 3, 2021, 8:57:37 PM10/3/21
In article <sjcvp2$rrh$1...@dont-email.me>, Oliver Simmons (GoodClover)
<olive...@gmail.com> writes
>>> Nothing to miss, as I posted the happy days of ULY are gone, last time I
>>> looked even the Face Book page hasn't had a post for ages.
>>>
>>> Nice to see someone other than me is still subscribed to ULY.
>>>
>>> Maybe an old farts con, we must all be knocking on a bit after 20 odd
>>> years, I know I am facing my three quarter century this September :-)
>>> Mike
>>
>> I am certainly knocking on, 78 this year, God willing. Yes it's a shame about ULY it
>was great at the time, some very nice people that it was a pleasure to meet up with.
>Life moves on though, and I have many happy memories of ULY. I could probably
>manage to stagger to a con if it was in Huddersfield :)
>
>It's rather odd all this, I'm new to Usenet/newsgroups and am reading
>through old posts on the few groups that aren't full of spam.
>
>The repeating pattern is a few spaced-out (in time) posts up until 2016, then
>nothing.
>Then, after a massive gap, people are talking by some miracle, and are
>reminiscing about how lively and enjoyable these places used to be.
>
>I just wish I could've been there when it was happening, this seems like it
>used to be such a nice place to discuss things. Miles better than any of the
>'social medias'.
>
>Hope everyone's doing well.

Still here and 75 years managed last month, 50 years married next
September.

I don't do Twatter and Faceache but uly wasn't all sweetness and light,
there were some very nasty people who tried, and some may say succeed,
in ruining the group.

I do wonder what has happened to the many friends I made 20+ years ago,
nice to see Mike Clayton is still around, I vaguely remember through an
alcohol induced mist he one carried my across Leeds to the train home.

There is one person who I still have contact with from back then, the
Bunny Lady Alison who with her husband Lee set up a successful computer
shop in my village of Kirkheaton 18 years ago and have saved my sanity
several times when my PC went ape and I found it easier to let them
build and sort out problems as I got older.

Jonny Davis

Oct 7, 2021, 5:43:44 PM10/7/21
Hi Mike its Soiyamotokid.
I was thinking of this ongoing Globalcon 2020 delayed. Are you up for anytime for a beer crawl around 1st november till 11th. I was thinking get a cheap train ticket and hit all the real ale bars in west yorkshire.

Mike Swift

Oct 8, 2021, 10:51:37 AM10/8/21
In article <5fde8108-4d36-4849...@googlegroups.com>,
Jonny Davis <jonnyd...@gmail.com> writes
>Hi Mike its Soiyamotokid.
>I was thinking of this ongoing Globalcon 2020 delayed. Are you up for
>anytime for a beer crawl around 1st november till 11th. I was thinking get a
>cheap train ticket and hit all the real ale bars in west yorkshire.

I'm getting past piss ups these days, the walking is now a problem and
the bladder isn't helping either, add to that my wrecked knee in my 1970
car crash, as a passenger I might add, which is now playing silly
buggers, much as I'd like to see old friends I fear they are now just
fond memories not to be revisited.

Sean Mcgee

Oct 25, 2021, 1:05:09 PM10/25/21