Happy new year.

Firu

Jan 28, 2020, 7:03:51 AM1/28/20
Just wandered back here after a good few years away. Still looks like a
ghost town. Just missing the tumble weed ;o)

Any old faces lurking?

Mike Swift

Jan 28, 2020, 7:45:34 AM1/28/20
In article <r0p7v6$hji$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
writes
>Just wandered back here after a good few years away. Still looks like a
>ghost town. Just missing the tumble weed ;o)
>
>Any old faces lurking?

Still in my list of newsgroups but you are the first post in ages.

I suspect newsgroups are slowly dying, many of those I am subscribed to
have little throughput, people seem to prefer Twatter and Faceache,
can't think why.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Firu

Jan 28, 2020, 8:18:07 AM1/28/20
On 28/01/2020 12:40, Mike Swift wrote:
> In article <r0p7v6$hji$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com> writes
>> Just wandered back here after a good few years away. Still looks like a
>> ghost town. Just missing the tumble weed ;o)
>>
>> Any old faces lurking?
>
> Still in my list of newsgroups but you are the first post in ages.
>
> I suspect newsgroups are slowly dying, many of those I am subscribed to
> have little throughput, people seem to prefer Twatter and Faceache,
> can't think why.
>
> Mike

Yeah, I noticed the lack of posts. Even the high traffic groups of old
are much less so now.

NG are still a thing in NZ. Mainly coz the mobile coverage can be a bit
patchy out in the sticks so mobile Twatter, Whatscrap and Facecrook are
less accessible. And the locals love an audience, are still crazy, and
will argue about anything :)

Mike Swift

Jan 28, 2020, 9:25:43 AM1/28/20
In article <r0pcae$a22$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
Thanks for reminding me that I now qualify as an old fart.

Seeing a post in uly reminds me of its former glory 20 years ago and all
the great Cons we had in Huddersfield, Leeds, Harrogate and Wakefield.

One of the Global Cons in Leeds had over 50 attendees from all over the
world, I believe the curry bill came in at over £250.

In honour of your post I've used my original uly sig from the 27th of
December 1996 probably around the time I started posting in here, happy
days.

Mike

--
Michael Swift "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Kirkheaton "Ask a glass of water."

Mike Clayton

Jan 28, 2020, 9:45:30 AM1/28/20
Still around. Older, better informed, but probably not wiser.

Firu

Jan 29, 2020, 11:15:42 AM1/29/20
Ahhh, you've got to tell me how you did that. I'm just older and more
confused ;)

Firu

Jan 30, 2020, 6:33:54 AM1/30/20
On 28/01/2020 14:25, Mike Swift wrote:

> Thanks for reminding me that I now qualify as an old fart.
>
> Seeing a post in uly reminds me of its former glory 20 years ago and all
> the great Cons we had in Huddersfield, Leeds, Harrogate and Wakefield.
>
> One of the Global Cons in Leeds had over 50 attendees from all over the
> world, I believe the curry bill came in at over £250.

Went out for a curry with some family on Saturday. 80GBP for 5 of us.
10% of the bodies and 30% of the price of your Global Con.

Now I'm feeling old.

signature.asc

Mike Swift

Jan 30, 2020, 7:55:14 PM1/30/20
In article <r0uev1$pfq$1...@dont-email.me>, Firu <firu....@gmail.com>
writes
I love a curry but I didn't always.

Many years ago our works suppliers used to take us out on the pish which
usually ended at a curry house where not being used to them I ended up
with a vindaloo, or as I thought then, liquid fire.

Some time later a friend suggested a curry after a night out, I
explained I thought they were uneatable and he persuaded me that they
didn't need to be so hot, that was my introduction to a love of the
curry.

Sadly he was a motorbike nut and on a trip to the Isle of Man he was
killed in an accident driving the TT route.

We have a curry at least once a week, mostly a chilled pack from
Morrisons or Iceland, which are passable, but every couple of months
from one of our local curry houses of which there are many, more genuine
but also more expensive.

Firu

Jan 31, 2020, 5:07:22 AM1/31/20
Back in the late 1990s I worked in and around Manchester. There was a
big tin shed next to the M60 at Stockport where they made industrial
amounts of curry for Morrisons and others. Mr nose wasn't clever enough
to say what variety of curry it was but it always smelled lovely.

I've had curry around the world but my favourite is still made in West
Yorkshire. And I know it's probably anglicised and is more
Pakistan/Bangladesh based, but it is so nice.

My little girl and her husband took me to Syhiba in Sowerby Bridge. Now
that was one of the best curries I've had for years. Most of the stuff I
get back home lack flavour or are more Asian fusion food. SO coming back
to the UK is a real treat, one that will expand my waistline a bit.

signature.asc