Leeds Mayor?

Dr Drew

Sep 5, 2000, 10:14:03 AM9/5/00
Heard last night, from someone who knows these things, that Leeds is
apparently well in contention to get the UK's next directly elected
mayor.

Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad? Any chance of getting a
non-Blairite-clone? Will anyone turn up to vote? Will it make the
slightest difference to the price of fish?

--
"Oh, fuck untying it, I've got a better idea" - Alexander
the Great

AlIen

Sep 5, 2000, 11:51:29 AM9/5/00
Why don't you stand for election Drew. Know it all politicos like
yourself should get some practical experience of administrative politics
as well as the airy fairy bits you think you can expound on.

Allen

--
Allen O__, O__,
/'._|\/______|\_/.'\

Phil Latio

Sep 5, 2000, 3:33:59 PM9/5/00
I think you find it is know-it-all. I once stood for erection in a soft furnishing store but I
couldn't get it up in Courts !!

AlIen

Sep 6, 2000, 3:30:26 AM9/6/00
I stand cor-ec-ted and as frequently rej-ec-ted,
As soon as it's er-ec-ted it fall down to the floor,
If I could get per-fec-ted
Last longer than ex-pec-ted
I'd be el-a-ted evermore.

Allen

J W B Greenwood

Sep 5, 2000, 6:00:20 PM9/5/00
In article <39B51681...@mcmail.com>, AlIen

<URL:mailto:Al...@mcmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you stand for election Drew. Know it all politicos like
> yourself should get some practical experience of administrative politics
> as well as the airy fairy bits you think you can expound on.
>
> Allen

Well if 'e does, whativver 'e sez, tha'll still bi mewling on abaht it not
bein' reight, 'cos it dun't chime wi' what tha naaws.

Ah bet tha' still hesn't getten a lid ter fit thi heead....hasta stopped
lewkin' yit?

--

bro...@argonet.co.uk

RISC OS Foundation Member

Dr Drew

Sep 6, 2000, 6:37:48 AM9/6/00

Does that mean you'd vote for me, JWB?

AlIen

Sep 6, 2000, 11:08:48 AM9/6/00
With the greatest respect for academic politics and theories of economic
administration there is no substitute for actual involvement in the
process.
Ken Livingstone will be a superb Mayor for London and Tony Benn should
be in that sort of job up here. As a politician he is a fine example of
political theoriticians.
If we had nationalised the banks just think what would have happened.

Allen

--
Allen õ¿õ

Rob Overfield

Sep 6, 2000, 10:39:27 AM9/6/00
Dr Drew <dr...@comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote in message

> J W B Greenwood <bro...@argonet.co.uk> said:

<snipped>

> > Well if 'e does, whativver 'e sez, tha'll still bi mewling on abaht it
not
> > bein' reight, 'cos it dun't chime wi' what tha naaws.
> >
> > Ah bet tha' still hesn't getten a lid ter fit thi heead....hasta stopped
> > lewkin' yit?
> >

> Does that mean you'd vote for me, JWB?

He might not, but I would!

--
Rob Overfield
http://www.woldweather.free-online.co.uk

AlIen

Sep 6, 2000, 1:32:48 PM9/6/00
So that's one vote he'd have, any others ?

--

Allen õ¿õ

J W B Greenwood

Sep 6, 2000, 12:47:06 PM9/6/00
In article <slrn8rc7j...@cslin-gps.scs>, Dr Drew

<URL:mailto:dr...@comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> J W B Greenwood <bro...@argonet.co.uk> said:
>
> > In article <39B51681...@mcmail.com>, AlIen
> > <URL:mailto:Al...@mcmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why don't you stand for election Drew. Know it all politicos like
> > > yourself should get some practical experience of administrative politics
> > > as well as the airy fairy bits you think you can expound on.
> > >
> > > Allen
> >
> > Well if 'e does, whativver 'e sez, tha'll still bi mewling on abaht it not
> > bein' reight, 'cos it dun't chime wi' what tha naaws.
> >
> > Ah bet tha' still hesn't getten a lid ter fit thi heead....hasta stopped
> > lewkin' yit?
> >

> Does that mean you'd vote for me, JWB?

Since I don't live in Leeds, I doubt I'd get a vote.

But, aye lad, if ah hed ah would.

J W B Greenwood

Sep 6, 2000, 12:52:58 PM9/6/00
In article <39B65E00...@mcmail.com>, AlIen

<URL:mailto:Al...@mcmail.com> wrote:
> With the greatest respect for academic politics and theories of economic
> administration there is no substitute for actual involvement in the
> process.
> Ken Livingstone will be a superb Mayor for London and Tony Benn should
> be in that sort of job up here. As a politician he is a fine example of
> political theoriticians.

Aye, weel if tha's a bit o' spare time, tha mun' hev a lewk at 'is record as
MP fer, Bristol, his ministry and summat to dew wi' airyplanes i' Filton.

AlIen

Sep 7, 2000, 2:10:42 AM9/7/00
I hope you don't consider Tony to be other than a fairly straight
thinking bloke who was placed in charge of a ministry which had already
decided to subsidise the development of Supersonic commercial airframes.
His ability as an administrator is superb. I merely pointed out one of
his ideological mishaprehensions.
In the 60s I shared a platform with him on a subject he felt strongly
about and you couldn't have found a better informed man. He is one of
the most persuasive and well spoken persons I have ever met, he is
wasted as an MP. That is why he would have the abilities to be a Mayor
in the same bracket as Livingstone.

Mayors administer the infrastructure and develop the decisions of
democratic local government. ( in theory anyway).

Allen

J W B Greenwood wrote:

--
Allen õ¿õ

Flash

Sep 7, 2000, 2:10:56 AM9/7/00
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:14:03 +0100 (BST), dr...@comp.leeds.ac.uk (Dr
Drew) wrote:

>Heard last night, from someone who knows these things, that Leeds is
>apparently well in contention to get the UK's next directly elected
>mayor.
>
>Any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad? Any chance of getting a
>non-Blairite-clone? Will anyone turn up to vote? Will it make the
>slightest difference to the price of fish?

I'd vote if one of the candidates was that husky-voiced temptress and
Queen Of Yorkshire(TM) Tanya Arnold. Pant!

--

Flash - "Fulap mekanois, saenem nating"