Schools in Leeds

F261064

Feb 22, 2002, 2:54:14 PM2/22/02
Hi

Has anyone heard of Lyddon Villa School, Leeds?

I have a music book awarded as a prize in 1914 and would like to find out
more about the school - including where it is/was?

Fiona.

Pronk

Feb 23, 2002, 1:28:13 AM2/23/02
F261064 <15...@home.com> wrote in message

There is a Lyddon Hall in the university, on or near Lyddon Terrace. As this
part of the uni is in what was a high density housing area maybe there was a
school there. I don't think there are any other "Lyddons" in Leeds.

Leeds Civic Trust would be a good place to try. There is a local historian,
email me if you want a contact number.

You could try Education Leeds, but a non-profit making enquiry doesn't
usually get very far.

Could be a complete red-herring though.

Cheers

nick odell

Feb 22, 2002, 5:52:17 PM2/22/02

My ordnance survey map shows a school at the junction of Moorland Rd &
Clarendon Rd, LS2 - opposite Lyddon Terrace. You might try 192.com or
infobel to see if that matches - or maybe someone from Leeds Uni might
know - this is just on the edge of their campus.

Nick
--
real e-mail is themusic dot workshop at ntlworld dot com

F261064

Feb 23, 2002, 11:33:42 AM2/23/02
Thanks - I'll give these suggestions a try.
Fiona.

F261064

Feb 23, 2002, 12:46:58 PM2/23/02
That was funny - didn't find the school I was loking for - but I did lookup
my own old school and found contact details of an old friend!!!!!
"martinp" <mar...@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 16:33:42 GMT, "F261064" <15...@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks - I'll give these suggestions a try.
> > Fiona.
>
> you could try www.friendsreunited.co.uk too
> --
> m.

gda...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 12:44:04 PM1/29/16
I attended Lyddon Villa School from 1948-1950. It was run by Miss Louisa Drewery. She had a younger sister, Lily, but I do not remember her being involved with teaching the children. It was a private school and all the children from age 5 to, I think, about 11 or 12 were all taught in the same room. We sat in groups, by age, round tables.

The cloakroom was in the basement and the other reception room across the gall from the classroom was used for gym and games when the weather was too bad to go out in the garden.

Miss Drewery was an excellent teacher. All the 5 year olds knew their alphabet and tables within a very short time of starting school. Miss Drewery was in her 80s when she died in1971.

In my lifetime I have only met 2 other people who went to this school, neither of them were there at the same time as me.

Glenys