East Anglia fun!

Don Flexy

Aug 31, 2013, 9:18:44 PM8/31/13
East Anglia has some of the most respectable towns & Cities in the UK, including Chelmsford, Norwich, Ipswich, Fakenham & Billericay. Come and see our fire work displays in November, and why not do some shopping too? East Anglia, the place to be!

Brian Watson

Sep 2, 2013, 3:21:45 AM9/2/13

"Don Flexy" <fle...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I was with you, right up to Bille-flippin'-ricay.

:-)

--
Brian

Nun the Wizer

Sep 2, 2013, 3:46:39 AM9/2/13
Brian Watson <Br...@imagebus.co.uk> writes

>"Don Flexy" <fle...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> East Anglia has some of the most respectable towns & Cities in the UK,
>> including Chelmsford, Norwich, Ipswich, Fakenham & Billericay. Come and
>> see our fire work displays in November, and why not do some shopping too?
>> East Anglia, the place to be!
>
>I was with you, right up to Bille-flippin'-ricay.
>
>:-)

Agreed, but it barely qualifies as being in EA. How about Diss
and Stowmarket, to name but two?
--
Nun the Wizer

Davey

Sep 2, 2013, 6:40:11 AM9/2/13
Shopping in Diss? You jest, surely? Stowmarket isn't much better, but
it does have a greater selection of supermarkets. Just.
--
Davey.

RustyHinge

Sep 2, 2013, 1:05:04 PM9/2/13
Who the Hell measures shopability by stoopidmarkets? I used to go into
Tesco by the Guildhall in Naaardge. I wentin, selected abottle of
channel Islands non-homogenised milk, paid foritandleft.

Since they stopped carrying that, I haven't been in a stoopidmarket. I
can get many things cheaper in our village shop, and I wouldn't touch
their meat, veg or fruit with your bargepole.

Yes, I'd shop in Diss (and often do)

--
Rusty Hinge

Davey

Sep 2, 2013, 2:46:05 PM9/2/13
Supermarkets are only part of the system, I didn't say that was all I
was judging by. Every time I try to find something in Diss, it's
unavailable, but I can get it online. The last thing I tried to find was
slimline CD cases. None in captivity in town. The item before that was a
pair (or any) DVD-RW discs, I found them in the waste bin of Ulric
Computers ready to throw out as unsellable.
I later saw a 25-stack at ASDA in Stowmarket (!).
Tomorrow, I'll be in Diss looking for a D45 and a D50 Torx driver.
I'll try: Giddings, both Car Parts places, (one trade, one cheap and
nasty), both builders merchants on Victoria Road, (Godfreys is now
gone), the Fasteners place up the hill beyond where Godfreys used to
be, and the old hardware place near the Market. If I have time, I'll
try anywhere else that is suggested.
I'll let you know how I get on.
I can get them at Screwfix in Bury. Delivery is cheaper than driving
there.
--
Davey.

RustyHinge

Sep 2, 2013, 5:24:52 PM9/2/13
On 02/09/13 19:46, Davey wrote:

> Supermarkets are only part of the system, I didn't say that was all I
> was judging by. Every time I try to find something in Diss, it's
> unavailable, but I can get it online. The last thing I tried to find was
> slimline CD cases. None in captivity in town. The item before that was a
> pair (or any) DVD-RW discs, I found them in the waste bin of Ulric
> Computers ready to throw out as unsellable.

Not all opinions of Ulric are favourable...

Better move your pootershopping to Wymondham, then. There was a rather
large and comprehensive pootershop in Victoria Road near the
garden-centre / nursery.

> I later saw a 25-stack at ASDA in Stowmarket (!).

I expect you'd get them in Clas Olsen (Sp?) in Chapelfield Mall in Naaardge.

> Tomorrow, I'll be in Diss looking for a D45 and a D50 Torx driver.
> I'll try: Giddings, both Car Parts places, (one trade, one cheap and
> nasty), both builders merchants on Victoria Road, (Godfreys is now
> gone), the Fasteners place up the hill beyond where Godfreys used to
> be, and the old hardware place near the Market. If I have time, I'll
> try anywhere else that is suggested.

Dunno what it's called now, but what used to be Diss Fasteners in the
industrial estate behind the station (Accessible to traffic close to the
railway bridge over Victoria Road - Vinces Road?) - is where I'd start.

> I'll let you know how I get on.
> I can get them at Screwfix in Bury. Delivery is cheaper than driving
> there.

Possible way to go.

Davey

Sep 2, 2013, 6:18:01 PM9/2/13
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 22:24:52 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/09/13 19:46, Davey wrote:
>
> > Supermarkets are only part of the system, I didn't say that was all
> > I was judging by. Every time I try to find something in Diss, it's
> > unavailable, but I can get it online. The last thing I tried to
> > find was slimline CD cases. None in captivity in town. The item
> > before that was a pair (or any) DVD-RW discs, I found them in the
> > waste bin of Ulric Computers ready to throw out as unsellable.
>
> Not all opinions of Ulric are favourable...

But there is only them and the one next to Diss Garden Centre, and they
didn't have them.

> Better move your pootershopping to Wymondham, then. There was a
> rather large and comprehensive pootershop in Victoria Road near the
> garden-centre / nursery.

We're talking about Diss. Wymondham and Bury and Norwich are all
alternatives with more choice; but we're talking about Diss.

> > I later saw a 25-stack at ASDA in Stowmarket (!).
>
> I expect you'd get them in Clas Olsen (Sp?) in Chapelfield Mall in
> Naaardge.

We're talking about Diss. Wymondham and Bury and Norwich are all
alternatives with more choice; but we're talking about Diss.

> > Tomorrow, I'll be in Diss looking for a D45 and a D50 Torx driver.
> > I'll try: Giddings, both Car Parts places, (one trade, one cheap and
> > nasty), both builders merchants on Victoria Road, (Godfreys is now
> > gone), the Fasteners place up the hill beyond where Godfreys used to
> > be, and the old hardware place near the Market. If I have time, I'll
> > try anywhere else that is suggested.
>
> Dunno what it's called now, but what used to be Diss Fasteners in the
> industrial estate behind the station (Accessible to traffic close to
> the railway bridge over Victoria Road - Vinces Road?) - is where I'd
> start.

Yes, that's the one near the old Godfrey's I mentioned.

> > I'll let you know how I get on.
> > I can get them at Screwfix in Bury. Delivery is cheaper than driving
> > there.
>
> Possible way to go.

So you agree that Diss is not the Great Shopping Experience of East
Anglia?

--
Davey.

RustyHinge

Sep 3, 2013, 2:47:38 AM9/3/13
On 02/09/13 23:18, Davey wrote:

> So you agree that Diss is not the Great Shopping Experience of East
> Anglia?

Don't put worms in my mouth - I've usually found what I wanted in Diss,
but then I used to work there and knew where to go. What it's like now I
don't know - I've moved from a sensible distance from the Simonds' No.1
bus route, so I go into Diss about once or twice a year - early bus into
Naaardge, No.1 to Diss.

Last time I went was specifically to the successors to Diss Fasteners,
and I got exactly what I went for.

Brian Watson

Sep 3, 2013, 5:14:09 AM9/3/13

"Davey" <da...@example.invalid> wrote in message

> Shopping in Diss? You jest, surely?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your delectation and delight, my
favourite East Anglian pun about a back-of-nowhere Cambs village (you need
to know that "ea" is pronounced "ee"):

"Manea, a true word spoken in jest."

I thenk yew! Here all week... etc etc.

Brian Watson

Sep 3, 2013, 5:15:50 AM9/3/13

"RustyHinge" <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message

> Don't put worms in my mouth - I've usually found what I wanted in Diss,

I'll bet you do! Bet you do! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean?

RustyHinge

Sep 3, 2013, 11:16:46 AM9/3/13
On 03/09/13 10:14, Brian Watson wrote:
> "Davey" <da...@example.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Shopping in Diss? You jest, surely?
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your delectation and delight, my
> favourite East Anglian pun about a back-of-nowhere Cambs village (you need
> to know that "ea" is pronounced "ee"):
>
> "Manea, a true word spoken in jest."
>
> I thenk yew! Here all week... etc etc.

Manea times over?

Davey

Sep 3, 2013, 7:50:43 PM9/3/13
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 07:47:38 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/09/13 23:18, Davey wrote:
>
> > So you agree that Diss is not the Great Shopping Experience of East
> > Anglia?
>
> Don't put worms in my mouth - I've usually found what I wanted in
> Diss, but then I used to work there and knew where to go. What it's
> like now I don't know - I've moved from a sensible distance from the
> Simonds' No.1 bus route, so I go into Diss about once or twice a year
> - early bus into Naaardge, No.1 to Diss.
>
> Last time I went was specifically to the successors to Diss
> Fasteners, and I got exactly what I went for.

Well, here is my report, as promised.
1. Jewson's: "Nothing that big, you'll need to go to Bury for that".
2. Diss Fasteners (or whatever name they trade under now, it's
unpronounceable. Something like Asterix the Gaul): "We can order it for
you. You won't find that in Diss".
3. Old-style hardware shop in Town Centre: "No chance".
4. Cheap-and-Cheerful Auto Parts Store near Morrisons, next to one of
the umpteen Turkish restaurants in town: Had a Chinese-made (I think,
there is no Country of Origin mark on it) Silvertec set, including the
sizes I want. The cardboard backing says: "Lifetime Warranty, register
online", but omits any URL. Cunning devils.

We shall see how the tool stands up to real work.

--
Davey.

RustyHinge

Sep 4, 2013, 6:09:11 PM9/4/13
On 04/09/13 00:50, Davey wrote:

> Well, here is my report, as promised.
> 1. Jewson's: "Nothing that big, you'll need to go to Bury for that".
> 2. Diss Fasteners (or whatever name they trade under now, it's
> unpronounceable. Something like Asterix the Gaul): "We can order it for
> you. You won't find that in Diss".
> 3. Old-style hardware shop in Town Centre: "No chance".
> 4. Cheap-and-Cheerful Auto Parts Store near Morrisons, next to one of
> the umpteen Turkish restaurants in town: Had a Chinese-made (I think,
> there is no Country of Origin mark on it) Silvertec set, including the
> sizes I want. The cardboard backing says: "Lifetime Warranty, register
> online", but omits any URL. Cunning devils.
>
> We shall see how the tool stands up to real work.

Glad you found something close to your needs - the old style ironmongrel
is Farter and Lord, or something like it, de-Spoonerised.

Davey

Sep 4, 2013, 6:40:22 PM9/4/13
Yep, that's right. They have just changed hands, too, the assistants
have bought out the retiring owners.

--
Davey.

RustyHinge

Sep 5, 2013, 6:37:37 AM9/5/13
Yup - 'twas in the EDP a brace of fortnights ago.

Yesterday and today are featuring the slightly late Wing Cdr Wallis.

www.edp24.co.uk

RustyHinge

Sep 22, 2017, 6:44:53 AM9/22/17
Or of course, Norwich and Ipswich?