Fluoride

a l l y

Aug 18, 2004, 7:13:46 PM8/18/04
United Utilities reintroduced fluoride into the water supply at Cornhow on
Monday 16th August. I am now purchasing bottled water for drinking, and the
receipts will be sent to UU.

Even if you believe fluoride has any effect on dental caries (it doesn't) do
you believe the entire population should be forced to take medication
without any choice? What they have done is illegal. I wish I could afford to
take them to court. Fluoride is a toxin and has been implicated in all sorts
of nasty things including thyroid problems, brittle bones and even cancer. I
have no intention of risking my health.

ally

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 18, 2004, 8:46:40 PM8/18/04
"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message

Are you aware of any incidents where water-treated fluoride has been
implicated in the cause of illness, debilitation or death?

The entire population is not forced to take medication. As you admitted
in your post (above) you do indeed have a choice. Buy bottled water!
What you need to do is negotiate with UU to defray the cost of your
bottled water against the water-rates (remember: water ultimately goes
down the bog irrespective of its source; you'll still need to pay your
sewerage charge unless you have a septic-tank).

I wish you luck...
--

Yours in rude health and no brown spots on my teeth,

Russell W. B.
http://www.huttonrow.co.uk

Jpinny

Aug 18, 2004, 9:02:58 PM8/18/04
My daughter was given fluoride mouthwash at Dutch primary school at age
4 to 5. Her teeth are a bit yellowy and stained looking compared to the
rest of us who abuse the colour of our teeth with all sorts of wines and
coffees and even tobacco (not me), but she never needed a filling till
she was 15. Somewhere I have every prescription for fluoride drops that
I never turned in to the pharmacy.

The way to keep teeth nice is to chew well, produce plenty of saliva,
eat less processed food, soft drinks and sweeties. I do use regular
fluoride toothpaste, though.

Jp

The Traveller

Aug 18, 2004, 9:24:09 PM8/18/04

"Russell W. Barnes" <russell_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
There seems to be a lot less in the water now, Russ. I kinda thought perhaps
they have reduced the quantity, which isn't a bad idea. We must have some in
the water or we'll all get ill. But have you thought about all the youngish,
middle aged people in Cumbria who have white hair and why? It aint
natcheral.

Edith.

Fluoride : A salt of hydrofluoric acid.

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 18, 2004, 10:27:14 PM8/18/04
"The Traveller" <nos...@nomore.no> wrote in message

8><-------------------------------------------------

> There seems to be a lot less in the water now, Russ. I kinda thought perhaps
> they have reduced the quantity, which isn't a bad idea. We must have some in
> the water or we'll all get ill. But have you thought about all the youngish,
> middle aged people in Cumbria who have white hair and why? It aint
> natcheral.

Seems perfectly natural to me - it's haireditary :o) (rather like
diarrhoea is hereditary: it runs in your genes...). Anyway, white
hair looks distinguished (or so I keep telling myself!)

You can't go worrying about minute amounts of poison in the stuff we
consume, Edith: Life's too short! My own personal view (based on
no medical experience whatsoever) is that if you're susceptible to
something, you're going to get it unless you abstain; genetics and
all that - '...The luck of the draw...'

You'll be packing in boozing next because of the alcohol that's in it.
(Ethyl-Alcohol being toxic, of course...) - and swimmingน, for fear of
taking in a gobful of chlorinated water (you should see how my dookers
have faded since using Penrith swimming pool; what's it doing to my
innards?)

น See my earlier post about swimming off the slag-bank.
--
Regds,

Russell W. B.

On nights, keeping awake with copious amounts of tea & coffee
(the stuff with caffeine in it).

ZZzzzz.......

Tania

Aug 19, 2004, 3:18:42 AM8/19/04

"Jpinny" <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I had all those prescriptions filled for fluoride drops. It seems it didn't
hurt. Neither of my children have ever had to have a filling. Except for
my oldest having braces neither have had any other dental experiences
besides the routine cleaning. I sure can't say it has to do with their
diet. They both love fast food much to my dismay.

Tania

Lurch

Aug 19, 2004, 4:19:44 AM8/19/04

Bastards.
I want clean drinking water out of my tap not medication.
Bastards.
Did I mention that they are bastards?

--
Mark

http://www.gunculture.net

"the subjects... may have arms for their defence"
English Bill of Rights

The Traveller

Aug 19, 2004, 4:28:56 AM8/19/04

> "The Traveller" <nos...@nomore.no> wrote in message
>
> 8><-------------------------------------------------
> > There seems to be a lot less in the water now, Russ. I kinda thought
perhaps
> > they have reduced the quantity, which isn't a bad idea. We must have
some in
> > the water or we'll all get ill. But have you thought about all the
youngish,
> > middle aged people in Cumbria who have white hair and why? It aint
> > natcheral.
> >
> Seems perfectly natural to me - it's haireditary :o) (rather like
> diarrhoea is hereditary: it runs in your genes...). Anyway, white
> hair looks distinguished (or so I keep telling myself!)

It does, but heredity my foot, not at the age of 25-45

> You can't go worrying about minute amounts of poison in the stuff we
> consume, Edith: Life's too short! My own personal view (based on
> no medical experience whatsoever) is that if you're susceptible to
> something, you're going to get it unless you abstain; genetics and
> all that - '...The luck of the draw...'

Later on in life, yup but white hair. Workington people at my age have
already had white hair for 30-40 years already. My It aint nacheral.
Something's behind it. Mam's hair turned white but the darling was much
older when it changed colour, naturally.

> You'll be packing in boozing next because of the alcohol that's in it.
> (Ethyl-Alcohol being toxic, of course...)

I have, more or less. It's a waste of money. Cheers!

- and swimmingน, for fear of
> taking in a gobful of chlorinated water

Never.

(you should see how my dookers
> have faded since using Penrith swimming pool; what's it doing to my
> innards?)

You'll find out later in life sweetheart and your dookers will rot and fall
apart and you'll desolve and run thro the gutters and you'll get fish hide
and green scales and yellow gug will uze out of your ears and you'll turn
grey and your feet will and you and and, and, you won't feel well and aspros
won't help. Just ask Kevin. He knows.

> น See my earlier post about swimming off the slag-bank.

Do I have to. Long brown things floating around. You are disgusting. I used
to swim there only at the Salterbeck end. Once the tide came in and I got
caught and had to swim around the rock to get back to the German tunnel
side. We used to make thunder by lifting the round door that was fastened at
the top, then let it fall and what a great sound it made. If there was
anyone on the other side they'll be stone deaf now. I went in it but I
didn't dare go straight through.Talking about thunder, it's thundering here
now and the streets are flooded with summer rain. Smashing. And my verandah
looks like a swimming pool. I'm the last on the workers route so I'll be
last to get everything in order before winter, if I do.

> --
> Regds,
>
> Russell W. B.
>
> On nights, keeping awake with copious amounts of tea & coffee
> (the stuff with caffeine in it).
>
> ZZzzzz.......

Hey! Wake up!

Edith.

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:41:19 AM8/19/04

Lurch <ma...@cssdNO.orgSPAM.ukTHANKS> wrote in message

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:13:46 +0100, "a l l y"
> <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote:
>
> >United Utilities reintroduced fluoride into the water supply at Cornhow
on
> >Monday 16th August. I am now purchasing bottled water for drinking, and
the
> >receipts will be sent to UU.
> >
> >Even if you believe fluoride has any effect on dental caries (it doesn't)
do
> >you believe the entire population should be forced to take medication
> >without any choice? What they have done is illegal. I wish I could afford
> >take them to court. Fluoride is a toxin and has been implicated in all
sorts
> >of nasty things including thyroid problems, brittle bones and even
cancer. I
> >have no intention of risking my health.
> >
> >ally
> >

> Bastards.
> I want clean drinking water out of my tap not medication.
> Bastards.
> Did I mention that they are bastards?

You did and I agree. Thank you for your support.

ally

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 19, 2004, 8:51:33 AM8/19/04
>> Bastards.
>> I want clean drinking water out of my tap not medication.
>> Bastards.
>> Did I mention that they are bastards?
>>
> You did and I agree. Thank you for your support.
>
> ally

Try to get UU to install and maintain an filter/RO unit. You
remember we talked about these devices a year or two ago and I
warned you they may be unreliable? Well, the "new" one we have
has been running without incident for that long. So maybe the
technology has improved since the time we bought one and the
membrane self-destructed within two months (15 years ago).

It would save you lugging bottled water around.

Johnny-still-prefers-stills

Jpinny

Aug 19, 2004, 9:28:04 AM8/19/04

Please send me details of your satisfactory product. I switch back and
forth between two top brands and neither works for very long. Currently
I am lugging 3 gallons of water from the supermarket every couple of
days, which is working out cheaper than replacing the filter every
couple of weeks and far more convenient than trying to draw a kettle
full of water, which takes a couple of minutes. Mr p says that it's
because of the heavy load of pollutants in the water which clog the
filter up extra fast.

Jp

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 19, 2004, 11:19:10 AM8/19/04
> Please send me details of your satisfactory product. I
> switch back and forth between two top brands and neither
> works for very long. Currently I am lugging 3 gallons of
> water from the supermarket every couple of days, which is
> working out cheaper than replacing the filter every couple
> of weeks and far more convenient than trying to draw a
> kettle full of water, which takes a couple of minutes. Mr p
> says that it's because of the heavy load of pollutants in
> the water which clog the filter up extra fast.
>
> Jp

Sounds like your water would bung up any device. Add a cheap,
standard 5 micron prefilter before your expensive replaceable
cartridges. Then your expensive cartridges will last a lot
longer.

It was Ally who said she was considering an RO (reverse
osmosis) unit a few years ago. I told her about our bad and
costly experience with one years ago. But we have tried the
newest technology recently and it works quite well now.
Apparently there is a residential RO unit available for her to
consider in Cumbria. I don't know of any on this side of the
pond - only because I have never looked. Ours is a scientific
laboratory unit you would never consider due to cost. It's
computerised water!

But here's an idea - buy a cheap carboy with a spigot (like
the kind shown here http://sciencekit.com/category.asp?c=
428750) from a wine or beer making supplier then let it fill
up slowly over time from your slow filter system. Then you can
get kettle fulls on demand at a reasonable rate depending on
the spigot size. That's equivalent to what we have done here
in our lab for 25 years. So long as the carboy is new to start
and you are careful (don't leave it open to air often) and
never put anything else in it, it will stay remarkably clean
for extrodinaryily long times.

BTW Plastic carboys will contribute phthalates
(http://www.phthalates.org/) to your water and glass ones will
leach out heavy metals (like all glass you use) but either way
they'll leach out extremely low levels and over time and
they'll slow down. I mention this as it is impossible to get
truly "clean water". No matter how you try to clean it, it
will never be absolutely pure. The cleaner you make it, the
more it acts like a sponge to put contaminants out of other
things. It's dirty again the moment you pour it in a drinking
glass. You need only try to achieve safe water. Which doesn't
take much at all.

Johnny-uses-glass-and-plastic

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gas Menace

Aug 19, 2004, 1:10:12 PM8/19/04
"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message

When I was a youngster in "Norn Iron" the Rev Ian Paisley was very strongly
against flouridation.

That in itself was more than enough to convince me of its desirability.

The Traveller

Aug 19, 2004, 3:03:29 PM8/19/04

"JH" <jac...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> You are welcome to come and buy our water at half the price..
>
> J.

You could go a little further up the mountain, bottle it yourself and sell
it to passing hikers, Ally.

Edith-likes-J's-water.

The Traveller

Aug 19, 2004, 3:08:01 PM8/19/04

"Jpinny" <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The best bottled water I have ever tasted was in Cumbria last trip, some
place. I bought a bottle of - could it be Allywell or summet like that? It
was lovely.

Edith, off for a glass of water.

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 7:07:53 AM8/19/04

Russell W. Barnes <russell_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you aware of any incidents where water-treated fluoride has been
> implicated in the cause of illness, debilitation or death?

Yes. Too many to list. Have a look at the National Pure Water Association's
website for loads of horror stories.
http://www.npwa.freeserve.co.uk/fluoride.html

There's even a mailing list dedicated to fluoride poisoning. It has a large
membership worldwide.

Here's a little quote: "No physician in his right senses would prescribe for
a person he has never met, whose medical history he does not know, a
substance which is intended to create bodily change, with the advice: 'Take
as much as you like, but you will take it for the rest of your life because
some children suffer from tooth decay. ' It is a preposterous notion." - Dr
Peter Mansfield, Director, Templegarth Trust.

> The entire population is not forced to take medication. As you admitted
> in your post (above) you do indeed have a choice. Buy bottled water!

Well yes, fine, I can do this because I'm aware of the dangers. But most of
the population are lulled into a false sense of security by the medical
profession who themselves are misinformed about the subject. I'm not so
selfish that I want to be one of the very few people who are safe - what
about the others?

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:52:40 AM8/19/04

> My daughter was given fluoride mouthwash at Dutch primary school at age
> 4 to 5. Her teeth are a bit yellowy and stained looking compared to the
> rest of us who abuse the colour of our teeth with all sorts of wines and
> coffees and even tobacco (not me), but she never needed a filling till
> she was 15. Somewhere I have every prescription for fluoride drops that
> I never turned in to the pharmacy.

Apparently using fluoride can mask tooth decay, because the enamel stays
strong and hard while the tooth underneath can be rotten. Often the decay is
too far gone to save the tooth before the dentist discovers it.

> The way to keep teeth nice is to chew well, produce plenty of saliva,
> eat less processed food, soft drinks and sweeties. I do use regular
> fluoride toothpaste, though.

Yeah, if they could stop kids eating junk food and drinking sugary drinks
there'd be no need for state intervention in dental health. I use
fluoride-free toothpaste. Even if fluoride did do some good - and I doubt
this - it only works on children's teeth. Adults dosing themselves with
fluoride are just taking a daily dose of an unnecessary toxin.

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 4:33:34 PM8/19/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message
From what I've heard, though, these things only deliver some 20% of the
volume of water you put in, so 80% of it goes down the plughole. Not very
environmentally friendly and extremely expensive when, like us, you have a
water meter. Or are these newer models more efficient?

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 4:38:12 PM8/19/04

> BTW Plastic carboys will contribute phthalates
> (http://www.phthalates.org/) to your water and glass ones will
> leach out heavy metals (like all glass you use) but either way
> they'll leach out extremely low levels and over time and
> they'll slow down. I mention this as it is impossible to get
> truly "clean water". No matter how you try to clean it, it
> will never be absolutely pure. The cleaner you make it, the
> more it acts like a sponge to put contaminants out of other
> things. It's dirty again the moment you pour it in a drinking
> glass. You need only try to achieve safe water. Which doesn't
> take much at all.
>
> Johnny-uses-glass-and-plastic

I had no idea glass leached out heavy metals! I have been told that glass is
actually a liquid - or a fluid? - which is hard enough to comprehend, even
though I've been shown photos of ancient windows that have 'flowed'
downwards. I always thought it was more or less inert as a water container
though. You learn something new every day.

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 4:39:12 PM8/19/04

JH <jac...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:13:46 +0100, "a l l y"
> <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote:
>
> You are welcome to come and buy our water at half the price..

How generous of you. We have friends in Bulgill, 2 miles down the road, who
are happy for us to fill up bottles from their private spring water for
nothing. So thanks, but no thanks.

;-)

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 4:40:25 PM8/19/04

Gas Menace <g...@chokedamp.com> wrote in message

> When I was a youngster in "Norn Iron" the Rev Ian Paisley was very
strongly
> against flouridation.
>
> That in itself was more than enough to convince me of its desirability.

Bloodyell I never thought he and I would agree on anything.

Oh well. They tell me Hitler was kind to dogs.

ally

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 19, 2004, 4:51:40 PM8/19/04
> From what I've heard, though, these things only deliver
> some 20% of the volume of water you put in, so 80% of it
> goes down the plughole. Not very environmentally friendly
> and extremely expensive when, like us, you have a water
> meter. Or are these newer models more efficient?
>
> ally

Don't know. I didn't buy the one we have. You are right. A lot
of water is wasted. I just brought up RO units because I
remembered you had an interest at one time. I'm not promoting
them. I can only say the one we have still works fine.

I'm sorry I can't tell you more but I have a rule here at work:
don't get involved in anything you don't have to. And the RO
unit is not on my side of the lab.

Johnny-on-the-other-side

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 19, 2004, 4:57:50 PM8/19/04

Glass is a liquid. Well done. Or was it me who told you in the
first place. Don't get obsessed with heavy metals in glass. You
have to use ultra-trace analysis to see what leaches out. Or put
another way, you have to be doing ultra-trace analysis to be
concerned about it. But if the idea is interesting, go look up
why coloured glass has colour.

Johnny-all-too-familiar-with-Bordeaux-bottle-green-glass

Jpinny

Aug 19, 2004, 5:12:11 PM8/19/04
The Traveller wrote:

The tap water in Keswick is the most chloriny that I know. I've said
that in this forum before.

Yes, this is thirst making talk.

Jp

Gas Menace

Aug 19, 2004, 5:22:25 PM8/19/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message

Surely you're not really that worried about being environmentally friendly
if you're drinking bottled water? Glass/plastic carries carbon costs for
production and recycling, plus the diesel used to haul it all around the
country.

What about a nice solar powered still?

Jpinny

Aug 19, 2004, 5:31:43 PM8/19/04
Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

Thankyou Johnny. You're a fountain of information. I'll not worry too
much about the phthalates. I had wondered about the shelf life of water.
Copper and selenium are actually good for you, essential even, and I
believe they are soemtimes used in the manufacture of coloured glass.

Jp

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 19, 2004, 5:34:58 PM8/19/04

> > The entire population is not forced to take medication. As you admitted
> > in your post (above) you do indeed have a choice. Buy bottled water!
>
> Well yes, fine, I can do this because I'm aware of the dangers. But most
of
> the population are lulled into a false sense of security by the medical
> profession who themselves are misinformed about the subject. I'm not so
> selfish that I want to be one of the very few people who are safe - what
> about the others?

Surely there must be some good reason why fluoride is added? I mean, it
doesn't generate extra profits for the water companies. I would like to
believe that those who consider it beneficial have expert knowledge of the
reasons why it is thought to be necessary - or is the dental health lobby
stronger, more influential and more vociferous than those who doubt its
benefits?

I'm not that fussed about whether fluoride is or isn't added (I'm probably
one of the population brainwashed at an early age to consider it a good
thing; we used to boast about having fluoride in our water at school!).
What I object to is the other stuff that is added (chlorine?) which makes
the tea taste bloody awful, and on some days undrinkable altogether.

I suppose it could all go wrong, like at Camelford that time. You'd better
buy a bucket, get an abstraction licence, and sink a well!
--
Regds,

Russell W. B.
http://www.huttonrow.co.uk

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:18:54 PM8/19/04

> > The best bottled water I have ever tasted was in Cumbria last trip, some
> > place. I bought a bottle of - could it be Allywell or summet like that?
It
> > was lovely.

If I ever produce my own brand of bottled water, it shall be called
Allywell.

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:20:57 PM8/19/04

> Glass is a liquid. Well done. Or was it me who told you in the
> first place.

No, I knew this long before I discovered the internet.

Don't get obsessed with heavy metals in glass. You
> have to use ultra-trace analysis to see what leaches out. Or put
> another way, you have to be doing ultra-trace analysis to be
> concerned about it. But if the idea is interesting, go look up
> why coloured glass has colour.

Ooh, that sounds interesting.............. I'd guess it's something to do
with chemicals present in it, but I shall attempt to look it up...

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:23:04 PM8/19/04

> Surely you're not really that worried about being environmentally friendly
> if you're drinking bottled water? Glass/plastic carries carbon costs for
> production and recycling, plus the diesel used to haul it all around the
> country.
>
> What about a nice solar powered still?

OK. Where can I get one and how much will it cost? Actually, all I need is a
method of sterilising rainwater - I've got enough to spare of that, and it's
completely fluoride-free. Any ideas?

ally

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 19, 2004, 6:57:40 PM8/19/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
You'll still get UU round demanding money off you! Apparently they 'own'
all the water, before it has been deposited (yes, I don't believe it
either...).

The owners of the Kirkstone Pass inn once tried to collect rainwater, and in
a locally well-publicised case, were made to cough up for the privilege of
doing so.

Gas Menace

Aug 19, 2004, 7:26:32 PM8/19/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message

Make one from scrap - it's cheap, and free to run.
http://www.solardome.com/SolarDome84.html

Sterilising rainwater properly needs chemicals or energy though - so you're
back to the toxins/carbon cost, unless you don't mind the runs occasionally
<g>..

Gas

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 1:25:29 AM8/20/04

"Russell W. Barnes" <rwba...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
That's the daftest. I'd say if the beck runs through your property you own
the water there and NOBODY owns the rain, hey.

Edith Suethum.

Like, you can't just sample water and let it turn green onto brown. That
could turn out to be a hazard.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 1:45:43 AM8/20/04

> Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

Oh you are all so clever people. Do I imagine that bottled water here tastes
chalkie.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:00:07 AM8/20/04

"Jpinny" <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The Norwegians wouldn't drink it. Out at Borrowdale it was much better than
in Southy Street. Imagine putting your dish cloth in tap water over night to
get it white. I did in Keswick town 3-4 years ago. It wasn't so bad in
Borrowdale this time. Tea tasted fine to me.- but the Norwegians wouldn't
drink it. They stuck to whisky, canned beer and bottled water. Not my style
at all, nore Orly's.

Edith-off for a glass of water.(from the tap) I have a filter on my tap now
that lasts a year. It's a big metal thing. I'm the only one around here that
uses one. I don't think it is that effective, or that necessary but I like
it there.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:06:10 AM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

Funny about that heavy metal and bottles of wine becoming more worthy the
older they get. I have four bottles of wine in my cupboard. Do you think I
should 'disperse of them before they becomes too 'heavy,' Johnny? or-can one
link-up heavy metals to migraine, just wondering.???

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:26:01 AM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

Not 80% of my water goes down the plug, Johnny. I live on the fourth floor
and the water in the tap takes a while to get cold so I save some in jugs
until it is cold enough to drink and water my flowers with it. I've thought
of putting it in the fridge but not sure about that. Waddaya think? I have
the 'save water' thingie from the time I lived with my x P.I.L who had only
one well at the time which sometimes went dry and we would have to go down
to the lake to wash our clothes and bathe.
When I had the big old house, I watered the lawns with my bath water when
water levels were low. Bit of a trudge has the bath was upstairs but it
saved the lawns from being burned golden. Durned dandilions always survived
though, no matter what. People could water their gardens every other day
depending on their surnames, then it was totally forbidden. That's why I had
a cold shoulder for a neighbour who dug in an under ground watering system
when he moved in and his garden thrived all summer.Ego sneak. If we don't
pull together we lose.

Edith-knows-how-to-save-water.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:28:21 AM8/20/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
Just thought about those beautiful glasses that are decoratively lined with
lead, wow.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:32:34 AM8/20/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
Good for you, Ally. I believe it was bottled in Scotland. Look in the shops
and tell me what you think if you find a bottle. The name may be wrong but
it was something like Ally well. In Winderwere a chip shop had run out of
bottled water and were filling bottles from the tap and selling it. In the
heat, no one cared.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:33:56 AM8/20/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
I didn't really like that Paisley fellow.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:36:35 AM8/20/04

"a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
Too late.

Edith.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Lurch

Aug 20, 2004, 4:18:44 AM8/20/04
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:34:58 +0100, "Russell W. Barnes"
<rwba...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Surely there must be some good reason why fluoride is added?

I believe it is due to the "think of the children" mob.
There are hotly debated benefits for sprogs, so if adults are poisoned
it dun't matter so long as Bratleigh gets a benefit.

> I would like to
>believe that those who consider it beneficial have expert knowledge of the
>reasons why it is thought to be necessary -

A very trusting soul that you are!
So-called 'Experts' are just as fallible as the rest of us, and in
some cases just as unwilling to accept new evidence when it
contradicts their own received wisdom.

--
Mark

http://www.gunculture.net

"the subjects... may have arms for their defence"
English Bill of Rights

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 9:07:30 AM8/20/04
The Traveller wrote:

I read somewhere that chalky (hard) water is actually better for your
health; something about higher levels of heart disease in soft water
areas. I'm pretty sure that Scottish statistics bear this out.

Jp

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 9:10:09 AM8/20/04
The Traveller wrote:

> Funny about that heavy metal and bottles of wine becoming more worthy the
> older they get. I have four bottles of wine in my cupboard. Do you think I
> should 'disperse of them before they becomes too 'heavy,' Johnny? or-can one
> link-up heavy metals to migraine, just wondering.???
>
> Edith.

Fantastic!

"I've got a stinking headache, but it wasn't the bottle of wine I drank
- oh, no! It was the heavy metals leaching out of the glass, so it was!"

Jp

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 9:12:25 AM8/20/04
The Traveller wrote:

> Good for you, Ally. I believe it was bottled in Scotland. Look in the shops
> and tell me what you think if you find a bottle. The name may be wrong but
> it was something like Ally well. In Winderwere a chip shop had run out of
> bottled water and were filling bottles from the tap and selling it. In the
> heat, no one cared.
>
> Edith.

What a perfect example of tourist industry entrepreneurialism.

Jp

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 9:20:24 AM8/20/04
JH wrote:

> Yep, but it didn't use to be like that when it came off Skiddaw. It
> made fantastic tea. then they put in a pumped ring main which made
> chlorine neccessary to kill bugs in the water which stayed in the ring
> main.
>
> then we moved.
>
> J.

You're dead right about the tea.

In Scotland, Brooke Bond make a Scottish Blend, especially for soft
water. Is it available in Cumbrian shops?

Jp

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 9:57:41 AM8/20/04
> Thankyou Johnny. You're a fountain of information. I'll not
> worry too much about the phthalates. I had wondered about
> the shelf life of water. Copper and selenium are actually
> good for you, essential even, and I believe they are
> soemtimes used in the manufacture of coloured glass.
>
> Jp

What form of copper? What form of Selenium? There are different
chemical states (oxidation states) with different properties,
benefits, toxicities. Depends on what salts or minerals the
metals dissociate from. That changes from place to place based
upon local geology probably.

Some small amounts of Selenium are beneficial, larger amounts
deadly toxic, for example.

I really don't know much about all this stuff.

Johnny-doesn't-know-much

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:29:45 AM8/20/04
> Ooh, that sounds interesting.............. I'd guess it's
> something to do with chemicals present in it, but I shall
> attempt to look it up...
>
> ally

I am always amused by the way people use the term "chemicals". I
think they mean "harmful chemicals" but they never say that.
Technically everything is made of chemicals. Glass is a
chemical. Water is a chemical. We are made entirely of
chemicals.

I once warned a contractor who was painting elevator doors in
his business next to mine. We had just sent everyone home
because of the fumes he was generating were filling our
workspace through a small gap between the wall and roof. We had
exhaust fans running so we were drawing it in. I warned him that
he should wear a respirator and not use his epoxy paint in a
confined, unventillated area. He told me he didn't need to take
any precautions because "there's no chemicals in paint!" He's
the paint expert, I suppose.

The corollary is that 'all chemicals are bad'. Which is
nonsense. A PhD chemist friend of mine was shocked (about ten
years ago) when his children came home from school and asked him
to get a new career because thier teachers had taught them
chemicals were bad in a class on the environment.

Of course, we all know it's engineers who cause all the
"chemical" problems (polluting industrial process designs).
Chemists solve those problems. We're the good guys.

Except Margaret Thatcher. The exception that makes the rule.

Johnny-not-a-paint-expert

PS Ally - you should study ice cream composition. 1t has over
150 "chemicals" in it!

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 10:30:36 AM8/20/04
Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

Will find out later! Can't remember, but don't have time to look at
moment. Watch this space. - Jp

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:31:19 AM8/20/04
> OK. Where can I get one and how much will it cost?
> Actually, all I need is a method of sterilising rainwater -
> I've got enough to spare of that, and it's completely
> fluoride-free. Any ideas?
>
> ally

You could run it through a UV lamp system.

Or you could drive it through Sellafield before drinking it.
Radiation works well too.

Johnny-irradiated

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:32:32 AM8/20/04

> "a l l y" <al...@caneDOGGIEseats.plus.com> wrote in message
> You'll still get UU round demanding money off you!
> Apparently they 'own' all the water, before it has been
> deposited (yes, I don't believe it either...).
>
> The owners of the Kirkstone Pass inn once tried to collect
> rainwater, and in a locally well-publicised case, were made
> to cough up for the privilege of doing so.
> --
> Regds,
>
> Russell W. B.
> http://www.huttonrow.co.uk

That's not right.

Johnny-detects-an-injustice

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:35:15 AM8/20/04
> Funny about that heavy metal and bottles of wine becoming
> more worthy the older they get. I have four bottles of wine
> in my cupboard. Do you think I should 'disperse of them
> before they becomes too 'heavy,' Johnny? or-can one link-up
> heavy metals to migraine, just wondering.???
>
> Edith.

I would see if they are all vinagar first then use it to kill
weeds in the garden if so.

Johnny-green-thumb

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:41:19 AM8/20/04
> Not 80% of my water goes down the plug, Johnny. I live on
> the fourth floor and the water in the tap takes a while to
> get cold so I save some in jugs until it is cold enough to
> drink and water my flowers with it. I've thought of putting
> it in the fridge but not sure about that. Waddaya think? I
> have the 'save water' thingie from the time I lived with my
> x P.I.L who had only one well at the time which sometimes
> went dry and we would have to go down to the lake to wash
> our clothes and bathe. When I had the big old house, I
> watered the lawns with my bath water when water levels were
> low. Bit of a trudge has the bath was upstairs but it saved
> the lawns from being burned golden. Durned dandilions
> always survived though, no matter what. People could water
> their gardens every other day depending on their surnames,
> then it was totally forbidden. That's why I had a cold
> shoulder for a neighbour who dug in an under ground
> watering system when he moved in and his garden thrived all
> summer.Ego sneak. If we don't pull together we lose.
>
> Edith-knows-how-to-save-water.

That water is still water, even if not cold. Put some in the
fridge if you like. We use a Brita jug for drinking water even
though the tap water is safe. The Brita water is always cold and
tastes consistently better than the tap water, which has varying
levels of chloramines in it depending on the weather and season.
The water treatment people constantly adjust the drinking water
depending on the season and the amount of rainwater, both of
which affect the purity of the raw stock.

Johnny-Brita-fan

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 10:48:52 AM8/20/04
> Just thought about those beautiful glasses that are
> decoratively lined with lead, wow.
>
> Edith.

Lead is a baddie. And not just from glass. Your government
should be protecting you from lead in paints, ceramics and
pottery/crockery from places like China (everything seems to
come from China these days but they are way behind on product
safety). Our government routinely tests imports for lead and a
long list of other harmful things and you'd be surprised how
much is rejected (I know because my wife works in our
government's product safety lab). They probably just resell the
contaminated stuff to a country that isn't screening it out.

Johnny-gets-the-lead-out

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 12:19:52 PM8/20/04

> Of course, we all know it's engineers who cause all the
> "chemical" problems (polluting industrial process designs).
> Chemists solve those problems. We're the good guys.

I hate to use the Nuremburg defence but the engineers are probably just
following orders. There are several chemical plants about 100 miles or so
south of here owned by Formosa Chemicals (guess what nationality the owners
are?). They routinely pay their fines to the EPA or whoever for dumping,
when they are caught, because its cheaper than disposing of the waste in the
appropriate manner. They can get away with it because its an area that
needs the property taxes the plants bring in. If they tried it in our area
they'd be shut down immediately. You don't consider process engineers to be
chemists?

Al

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 12:26:37 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

maybe if the UK had a written constitution such injustices would not exist.
However we have similar injustices inside the city limits where the water
rates are astronomical. A friend of mine had a water bill for $80 one
summer month and a sewer bill for the same amount. The city would not
accept the arguement that $60 of that water went to watering the lawn and
not down the sewer.

Al

a l l y

Aug 20, 2004, 1:43:13 PM8/20/04

Russell W. Barnes <rwba...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> You'll still get UU round demanding money off you! Apparently they 'own'
> all the water, before it has been deposited (yes, I don't believe it
> either...).
>
> The owners of the Kirkstone Pass inn once tried to collect rainwater, and
in
> a locally well-publicised case, were made to cough up for the privilege of
> doing so.
> --
Yeah but we've got a water meter, so if we use less of the piped variety
we'll pay less, surely? I realise they'll still charge for sewerage of
course. And anyway, the reason I want to do it isn't to save money so much
as to get a fluoride-free drinking water supply.

ally

a l l y

Aug 19, 2004, 6:28:13 PM8/19/04

> Surely there must be some good reason why fluoride is added? I mean, it
> doesn't generate extra profits for the water companies. I would like to

> believe that those who consider it beneficial have expert knowledge of the
> reasons why it is thought to be necessary - or is the dental health lobby
> stronger, more influential and more vociferous than those who doubt its
> benefits?

Hexafluorosilic acid is a by-product of the fertilizer industry. It's toxic
chemical waste containing small amounts of lead, mercury, arsenic and
berylium.It has neither been tested nor registered as fit for human
consumption. It is expensive to get rid of. The fertilizer manufacturers
have found some mugs who are prepared to pay them for the stuff and then
dump it in the public water supply.

Naturally occuring sodium fluoride is a different matter.

> I'm not that fussed about whether fluoride is or isn't added (I'm probably
> one of the population brainwashed at an early age to consider it a good
> thing; we used to boast about having fluoride in our water at school!).
> What I object to is the other stuff that is added (chlorine?) which makes
> the tea taste bloody awful, and on some days undrinkable altogether.

The thing is, we need the chlorine in our water supply as it kills bacteria
which otherwise might kill us. We shouldn't be able to taste it but
occasionally they seem to add more than they're supposed to. Fluoride is
tasteless but toxic: chlorine can be tasted but does us some good.

ally

a l l y

Aug 20, 2004, 1:44:56 PM8/20/04

> > OK. Where can I get one and how much will it cost?
> > Actually, all I need is a method of sterilising rainwater -
> > I've got enough to spare of that, and it's completely
> > fluoride-free. Any ideas?
> >
> > ally
>
> You could run it through a UV lamp system.

How? tell me more!

> Or you could drive it through Sellafield before drinking it.
> Radiation works well too.

Urgh. No, I'll pass on that one, thanks.

ally

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 1:52:39 PM8/20/04
Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

Do you mean forms used by the body?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/complementary/minerals.shtml

Copper

Uses in the body: Metabolises iron in the body, helps to produce red
blood cells and plays a role in healthy respiration. Also plays a role
in the formation of hair and skin pigmentation.

Signs of Deficiency: Hair loss, anaemia, bone disease, poor growth,
general feeling of malaise and abnormal heart rhythm (in adults).

Therapeutic uses Arthritis, heart disease, brittle bones, rheumatoid
arthritis, water retention and damaged skin. Particularly helpful after
surgery, trauma or burns, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, for the
elderly and for those on low calorie diets.

Dietary sources: Liver, shellfish, nuts, bran, wholegrains, olives,
wheatgerm, pulses, and dried fruit.

Dosage:
Recommended Daily Allowance: 1.5 mg
Therapeutic dosage: 5-8 mg /day
Daily intake should not exceed: 5 mg in the long term. However short
term doses of 8 mg are sometimes used therapeutically.

Cautions: Toxicity has only ever been reported from drinking
contaminated water or taking large doses of copper salts. However the
contraceptive pill raises copper levels, as does drinking water from
copper pipes. These factors should be taken into account when
considering dosage.

Best way to take: Daily with food in the form of copper gluconate or in
a combined supplement with zinc to ensure a good balance between the
two. Zinc and Vitamin C can cause copper deficiency so copper
supplementation should be taken at the same time as supplementation with
these nutrients.
Iodine

Selenium

Uses in the body: Essential for health of liver, eyes, hair, nails and
skin and plays a role in regulating hormones in the body. Also protect
cells against damage from free radicals through its antioxidant action.

Signs of Deficiency: None known but patients with liver disease, cancer,
cardiovascular disease and arthritis are often found to have very low
levels.

Therapeutic uses: Arthritis, high blood pressure, cirrhosis of the liver
and alcoholism, eye problems such as cataracts, eczema and acne,
dandruff, chemical toxicity (e.g. mercury) and as an immune booster and
preventive against cancer. People on weight-loss diets, vegetarians and
vegans should make sure they have adequate selenium intake.

Dietary sources: Brazil, cashew and other nuts, blackstrap molasses,
white fish, liver and kidney, shellfish, brazil nuts, cereals, bread and
dairy products. A good source for babies is in breast milk rather than
dried milk.

Dosage:*
Recommended Daily Allowance: n/a
Therapeutic dosage: 100-200 µg /day. Occasionally doses up to 700 µg per
day are given under professional supervision)
Daily intake should not normally exceed: 200 µg

Cautions: Toxic in high doses (above 3.6 mg/3,000 µg) daily.

Best way to take: In a combination formula with Vitamins C, E (since
selenium enhances the action of Vitamin E and the antioxidant effect is
increased) and B vitamins (since these enhance the absorption of the
selenium). Best taken first thing in the morning or last thing at night
on an empty stomach, for maximum absorption, but can also be taken with
food.

In glassmaking Selenium oxide is used as a decolouriser and copper oxide
is used to make ruby glass.

Jp

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:37:09 PM8/20/04

"Jpinny" <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
rofl

edith

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:39:52 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

Blimey. I must go through my cupboards. Or better still, will your missis do
it for me.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:41:31 PM8/20/04

> That water is still water, even if not cold. Put some in the
> fridge if you like. We use a Brita jug for drinking water even
> though the tap water is safe. The Brita water is always cold and
> tastes consistently better than the tap water, which has varying
> levels of chloramines in it depending on the weather and season.
> The water treatment people constantly adjust the drinking water
> depending on the season and the amount of rainwater, both of
> which affect the purity of the raw stock.
>
> Johnny-Brita-fan

I imagine more chemicals are need the hotter it gets and the lower the water
level becomes.?

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:42:22 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

LOL

The Traveller

Aug 20, 2004, 2:45:07 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

I don't feel well.

E.

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:19:22 PM8/20/04
> I hate to use the Nuremburg defence but the engineers are
> probably just following orders. There are several chemical
> plants about 100 miles or so south of here owned by Formosa
> Chemicals (guess what nationality the owners are?). They
> routinely pay their fines to the EPA or whoever for
> dumping, when they are caught, because its cheaper than
> disposing of the waste in the appropriate manner. They can
> get away with it because its an area that needs the
> property taxes the plants bring in. If they tried it in
> our area they'd be shut down immediately. You don't
> consider process engineers to be chemists?
>
> Al

I knew I'd stir up something by writing that. It never fails.
You are right. They follow orders. Without much thought or
conscience it seems. Using another WWII reference, guess who
built the first A-bombs in the Manhatten Project? There were
probably 1000 engineers for every scientist.

There is quite a big difference between a chemical engineer and
a chemist in terms of training. The only courses they share are
1st year introductory courses and even then we always said they
were dumbed down for the engineers. To be fair, they haven't
time for as much homework as science students have. They have to
have time to drink all that beer after class. Essentially they
are focussed on applied chemistry - such as beer flowing down
their throats. They know nothing about chemical synthesis,
analytical chemistry, biochemistry etc. They do learn some
aspects of physical chemistry such as thermodynamics but they
whine about the calculus involved.

Of course I know exceptions. Chemists who work as engineers and
chemical engineers who are excellent chemists. Once you finish
school, you keep learning based upon the needs of your job which
can force a cross over.

Johnny-no-iron-ring

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:22:49 PM8/20/04
> maybe if the UK had a written constitution such injustices
> would not exist. However we have similar injustices inside
> the city limits where the water rates are astronomical. A
> friend of mine had a water bill for $80 one summer month
> and a sewer bill for the same amount. The city would not
> accept the arguement that $60 of that water went to
> watering the lawn and not down the sewer.
>
> Al

Nice try though. I doubt he would succeed with an argument that
they were the ones full of shit either.

Johnny-you-can't-fight-city-hall

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:29:44 PM8/20/04
> How? tell me more!

I think you run the water through a section of quartz tubing
(which allows the UV through rather than glass or plastic which
both absorb UV) and shine a strong UV lamp source on it. Both
parts are expensive, I suspect. Maybe someone already sells
this. I only know about this from water treatment plants on a
large scale.

You asked for 'any ideas' not 'inexpensive but effective ideas'.

Johnny-helpful

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:37:45 PM8/20/04

And they say I am long-winded.

No I did not mean what forms the body uses. I meant what forms
of the metals are present in the water as contaminants. I was
pointing out it is rather useless to say 'there's x % copper
in our water' without knowing what chemical form it is in. It
may be tied up so that it passes harmlessly through your body.
Or it could be a threat. Elemental analysis just tells you
it's there. Scare mongering can result. Some things you just
don't want in any amount because all forms are bad. But some
things can be present and harmless. That's all I was trying to
say. Oh, and just because it is a chemical does not make it
bad.

Johnny-two-points

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:43:51 PM8/20/04
> Blimey. I must go through my cupboards. Or better still,
> will your missis do it for me.
>
> Edith.

I suggest you find out if Norway has a product safety program.
If they do, you're probably OK. If they don't, stop using the
chinese stuff for food and use it for placing under you potted
plants.

Not all made in China stuff is bad. But some is.

Johnny-good-advice

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 20, 2004, 4:49:13 PM8/20/04
> I imagine more chemicals are need the hotter it gets and
> the lower the water level becomes.?
>
> Edith.

Do you mean water levels in the reservoirs in summer? You're
talking about a concentration effect, like in cooking when you
boil off the water to make a sauce thicker? There might be
something to that but I'm sure the water treatment people adjust
the treatments to compensate for any adverse changes. That's why
the chlorine smell goes up and down in the tap water.

Johnny-H2O

Jpinny

Aug 20, 2004, 5:31:53 PM8/20/04
Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

Copied, pasted and accredited.

> No I did not mean what forms the body uses. I meant what forms
> of the metals are present in the water as contaminants.

Oh, I haven't a clue. But I did mention that it was the two oxides. But
if they're leaching out of glass, then it won't be enough to worry about
- as you said.

I was
> pointing out it is rather useless to say 'there's x % copper
> in our water' without knowing what chemical form it is in. It
> may be tied up so that it passes harmlessly through your body.
> Or it could be a threat. Elemental analysis just tells you
> it's there. Scare mongering can result. Some things you just
> don't want in any amount because all forms are bad. But some
> things can be present and harmless. That's all I was trying to
> say. Oh, and just because it is a chemical does not make it
> bad.

I know that already. Is there anything that isn't a chemical? Are not
chemicals the very substance of life? What is there that is not
constructed from elements on the periodic table?

Some carbon, hydrogen oxide, a bit of iron, some calcium, potassium,
sodium, and others inNY

Jp

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 20, 2004, 5:54:39 PM8/20/04

> Hexafluorosilic acid is a by-product of the fertilizer industry. It's
toxic
> chemical waste containing small amounts of lead, mercury, arsenic and
> berylium.It has neither been tested nor registered as fit for human
> consumption. It is expensive to get rid of.

> The fertilizer manufacturers
> have found some mugs who are prepared to pay them for the stuff and then
> dump it in the public water supply.
>
> Naturally occuring sodium fluoride is a different matter.

Bugger! - I had always taken it as read that the fluoride added to public
water supplies was natural sodium fluoride (at a rate of 1PPM), not the
noxious cocktail you describe above. Beryllium is nasty stuff; beryllium
oxide more so. We (at work) have to dispose of beryllium copper through
special Health 'n' Safety approved channels (woe-betide the poor sod doing
the paperwork if one cuts one's finger on it), and there are dire warnings
(skulls, crossbones, that sort of thing) on even the tichiest transistor
containing beryllium.

Is naturally occuring fluoride more expensive than the nasty chemical mix
you describe, or is it, as you suggest, an expediency suited to both the
fertilizer manufacturers and the water companies? Our water comes from
either a borehole near Lazonby or a borehole near Skelton. Would a letter
to UU tell me what, eaxactly, was in it (ha ha... I remember when my
father - an ex-industrial chemist - sent a sample of Workington's tap-water
to the water-board labs with a protestation attached regarding the appaling
taste. They eventually concurred that it 'wasn't right', but they never
revealed the result of the analysis to him. This would be in the late
1970's-ish).

> > I'm not that fussed about whether fluoride is or isn't added

I might be a little more fussed now, though!

> The thing is, we need the chlorine in our water supply as it kills
bacteria
> which otherwise might kill us.

I know that. There just seems to be a little much at times. I don't know
what's changed, either, as when I was a kid I never remember the taste of
chlorine in drinking water. On Masirah (Oman) the tap water (which was
absolutely disgusting-tasting
not-really-potable-for-washing-dishes-with-only stuff from a desalination
plant - no fluoride though!) was passed through a strong UV filtration unit.
I used to drink bottled water then, by the gallon (and imported beer,
natch!); 'Tanuf' brand, it was.

Does Cumbrian water contain Aluminium Sulphate, like they put in at
Camelford? Or does Cornish water hold different properties (and hence
require different treatment) to our stuff?

> We shouldn't be able to taste it but
> occasionally they seem to add more than they're supposed to. Fluoride is
> tasteless but toxic: chlorine can be tasted but does us some good.

I suppose one knows it is present and doing its job when it can be tasted!

--

with interjections by

Dave Liquorice

Aug 20, 2004, 5:28:30 PM8/20/04
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:29:44 -0500, Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:

> shine a strong UV lamp source on it. Both parts are expensive, I
> suspect. Maybe someone already sells this.

They do, my sister had one fitted to their spring water supply when
the bacteria count started to rise. They are also available for
treating recirculating pond systems though I doubt they are up to
potable water standards.

As for rain water, hum I wonder what that in it washed out of the
atmosphere. It would change, of course, depending on the orgin of the
air mass.

Bottled water packed full of minerals and bacteria. Normal levels way
above those allowed for tap water.

A solar still, very cheap, hole in ground, clear plastic sheet, small
stone and a container. Should produce a pint a day from something 3 or
4' across. But you'd have to be careful on the choice of plastic so
you don't get leaching from that and the container oh and if your
worried about the odd bug how to steralise it.

Thinking about it a trace amount of Floride in easy to obtain, clean,
cheap tape water doesn't seem so bad after all.

--
Cheers new...@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

a l l y

Aug 20, 2004, 6:16:01 PM8/20/04

> > Ooh, that sounds interesting.............. I'd guess it's
> > something to do with chemicals present in it, but I shall
> > attempt to look it up...
> >
> > ally
>
> I am always amused by the way people use the term "chemicals". I
> think they mean "harmful chemicals" but they never say that.
> Technically everything is made of chemicals. Glass is a
> chemical. Water is a chemical. We are made entirely of
> chemicals.

Yes, yes, I know that - please don't lump me in with the people who don't
know anything about science. I may not work in the industry, but I studied
scientific subjects at school and have kept reading ever since. Generally I
keep my head down and play dumb, 'cause I discovered some time ago that if
you start going on about quantum thermodynamics or string theory people
start yawning and walking away.......... Chemistry was probably my least
favourite of the sciences: I find quarks and quasars more interesting than
the periodic table...... ah, you see, I've started boring people
again........

> PS Ally - you should study ice cream composition. 1t has over
> 150 "chemicals" in it!

The best way to study ice cream composition is in the mouth.

ally

a l l y

Aug 20, 2004, 6:18:53 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message
Indeed I did. Thank you.

ally

a l l y

Aug 20, 2004, 6:19:27 PM8/20/04

> I didn't really like that Paisley fellow.

I'm glad to hear it.

ally

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 8:32:23 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

I spent half my working life with a company who employed some of the best
process engineers in the bidness with MIT PHDs and patents coming out the
ying yang. Some of the founders worked at Oak Ridge on the Manhattan
project.

Al

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 8:37:30 PM8/20/04

"Dave Liquorice" <new...@howhill.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:29:44 -0500, Joh...@ominous.portent wrote:
>

> As for rain water, hum I wonder what that in it washed out of the
> atmosphere. It would change, of course, depending on the orgin of the
> air mass.

I remember one heat wave in 1968 darn sarf that ended with the mother of all
thunder storms and the next day the pavements, cars etc. were covered in a
yellow-orange dust. Seems storm picked up dust from a Sahara sandstorm and
dumped it on London. So if you were collecting rain water that day you may
well have had camel dumg in it.

Al

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 8:43:58 PM8/20/04

> I know that. There just seems to be a little much at times. I don't know
> what's changed, either, as when I was a kid I never remember the taste of
> chlorine in drinking water. On Masirah (Oman) the tap water (which was
> absolutely disgusting-tasting
> not-really-potable-for-washing-dishes-with-only stuff from a desalination
> plant - no fluoride though!) was passed through a strong UV filtration
unit.
> I used to drink bottled water then, by the gallon (and imported beer,
> natch!); 'Tanuf' brand, it was.

Saudi water was just as bad, ours came from the power plant down the road. I
used the tap water to make soup a couple of times and spent a lot of time
sitting on the porcelein throne afterwards. I drank several cases of San
Miguel non alky beer a week.

Al

Tania

Aug 20, 2004, 10:06:38 PM8/20/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

It's not just the made in china stuff. If you have heirloom china chances
are it's just as bad. The gold and silver trimmed are the worst. Any really
old china is a hazard, especially if you microwave something on it.

Tania

Tania

Aug 20, 2004, 10:25:07 PM8/20/04

"Alfred Packer" <Alfred...@LakeCity.com> wrote in message
Didn't they have coca~cola? I thought that was everywhere. It would have
sure beat the nonalcoholic beer.

Tania

Tania

Aug 20, 2004, 10:52:38 PM8/20/04

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:07:30 -0400, Jpinny <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >The Traveller wrote:
> >
> >> "Jpinny" <jpi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Oh you are all so clever people. Do I imagine that bottled water here
tastes
> >> chalkie.
> >>

> >I read somewhere that chalky (hard) water is actually better for your
> >health; something about higher levels of heart disease in soft water
> >areas. I'm pretty sure that Scottish statistics bear this out.
> >
> >Jp
>
> It might have more to do with poverty, smoking, drinking and
> deep-fried everything.
>
> J.

I think you're right. We have some of the best water in the world (it's
not soft and it doesn't taste chalky) in and around the Ozarks. People still
insist on having strokes and myocardial infarctions after consuming a case
of beer a week (that's probably an underestimate) and everything fried from
their vegetables to their dessert. Go figure.

Tania

Alfred Packer

Aug 20, 2004, 11:21:33 PM8/20/04

"Tania" <faye_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I don't drink that stuff, only diet Dr.Pepper and Tab.

Al

Tania

Aug 21, 2004, 2:54:12 AM8/21/04

> I don't drink that stuff, only diet Dr.Pepper and Tab.
>
> Al

I'm a diet mountain dew fain myself. Once upon a time all I ever drank was
coke. The real thing.

Tania

Russell W. Barnes

Aug 21, 2004, 5:13:12 AM8/21/04

"Alfred Packer" <Alfred...@LakeCity.com> wrote in message

We were allowed real alcoholic beer, as we had a 'club' on the Island, and
the Sultan of Oman didn't mind, as long as we didn't go around swigging the
stuff in public (one poor sod got sent home - I think he was working his
ticket, actually - after ostentatiously drinking a can of beer in down-town
Muscat, and chucking the can away! One used to find bottles of 'Passing
Cloud' aftershave on the beach, where it was rumoured to have been mixed
with lemonade and consumed by those desperadoes who badly needed a 'fix' of
the stronger stuff.

Dehydration was a problem, and it was very easy to go for a walk, get
parched, and then go daft with the drink in the club. It had to be taken in
moderation or else a visit to the SOAF hospital would be guaranteed.

There were soft drinks, of course, but Iced bottled water was excellent.
I've done my stint on the porclain throne as well :o(
--
Regds,

Dave Liquorice

Aug 21, 2004, 4:52:36 AM8/21/04
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:37:30 -0500, Alfred Packer wrote:

> I remember one heat wave in 1968 darn sarf that ended with the
> mother of all thunder storms and the next day the pavements, cars
> etc. were covered in a yellow-orange dust. Seems storm picked up
> dust from a Sahara sandstorm and dumped it on London.

Dust falls are fairly common, maybe a couple a month on average over
the country, somewhere. It obviously depends where the air mass is
being drawn from and it needs to rain to wash the dust out but not so
heavy that the dust is washed away after it has landed.

The Traveller

Aug 21, 2004, 8:41:03 AM8/21/04

"Russell W. Barnes" <rwba...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote in message
You poor lads. It's no way to spend a short life on this beautiful planet.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 21, 2004, 10:10:14 AM8/21/04

<Joh...@ominous.portent> wrote in message

Just run yer watter thro a bottle of pot or glass marbles, Ally.

Edith.

The Traveller

Aug 21, 2004, 10:17:29 AM8/21/04

"Alfred Packer" <Alfred...@LakeCity.com> wrote in message
Our street was covered in yellow powder after the last down pour, Al but it
was only pollen. It ran down the road side with the water and accumalated
along the gullies when the water dried up. The air was much better after
that.

Edith.

Jpinny

Aug 21, 2004, 2:11:03 PM8/21/04

Gulp! I only use heat resistant glass, Tupperware/Rubbermaid or everyday
earthenware in my microwave. And I NEVER buy dishwasher powder with
chlorine bleach in it - that ruins the colours and on patterned pottery.

I once put a plate with a slither of gold trim in the microwave and it
wasn't long before sparks flew.

Jp

Joh...@ominous.portent

Aug 21, 2004, 2:27:38 PM8/21/04
> I know that already. Is there anything that isn't a
> chemical? Are not chemicals the very substance of life?
> What is there that is not constructed from elements on the
> periodic table?
>
> Some carbon, hydrogen oxide, a bit of iron, some calcium,
> potassium, sodium, and others inNY
>
> Jp

The only thing that isn't a chemical is a perfect vacuum and
that doesn't exist, even in space.

There are particles smaller than the elements listed in the
Periodic Table.

Johnny-science-lesson

Jpinny

Aug 21, 2004, 2:33:17 PM8/21/04
Tania wrote:

I confess to liking non-alcoholic beer better than cola. Regular cola's
way too sweet for me, and I only drink the caffeine-free diet variety
these days.

Jp

Jpinny

Aug 21, 2004, 2:35:15 PM8/21/04
Alfred Packer wrote:

>>Tania
>

> I don't drink that stuff, only diet Dr.Pepper and Tab.
>
> Al

Have you noticed that they've stopped selling Dr. Pepper in 2ltr
bottles? My daughter's worried about this..

Jp

It is loading more messages.