To ban someone from a funeral

Bert

Apr 17, 2004, 5:51:40 AM4/17/04
Dear All,

I have a funeral next week and I like to know if we can ban the grandson of
the deceased from coming. The person in question has started fights on
previous funerals. Can can we deal with this.

Thanks,

Bert.

steve robinson

Apr 17, 2004, 6:07:57 AM4/17/04

"Bert" <xyz...@xyz123.xyz123> wrote in message
you could stop him coming to the house or even the wake but you may have a
problem banning him from the church
how old is he anyway

have you also thought what his reaction would likely to be if he was banned
from coming to his grandparents funeral
he would certainly kick off then

Peter Crosland

Apr 17, 2004, 6:11:26 AM4/17/04
It takes two to have a fight! There is probably little you can do except
have a quiet word with the past protagonists and point out that their
behaviour is quite unacceptable.

Bert

Apr 17, 2004, 6:22:02 AM4/17/04
The person is early 30's. He never could be bothered with his grandmother,
but now wants to show up. Some people will not show up because he is coming.

Bert.
"steve robinson" <st...@rem0vemecolevalleyinteriors.co.uk> wrote in message

Harry The Horse

Apr 17, 2004, 6:57:54 AM4/17/04
15 years ago I was in a similar position with the funeral of my father.
Without going into the details, which are still raw, there was an
objectionable person that my mother & I didn't want at the funeral. The
priest said that funerals are public events and that he had no power to
prevent anyone attending.

dave

Apr 17, 2004, 9:17:11 AM4/17/04

"Bert" <xyz...@xyz123.xyz123> wrote in message

Tell him that the funeral is at a different time and at a different church
to the one where you intend to hold it - and swear the others to secrecy.

It might work.

steve robinson

Apr 17, 2004, 11:19:05 AM4/17/04

> The person is early 30's. He never could be bothered with his grandmother,
> but now wants to show up. Some people will not show up because he is
coming.

> that sounds typical of most family funerals , it also takes two too fight
,

have a word with him quietly , find out why there was a problem at an
earlier funeral ,emotions run high at these events and one wrong word can
spark trouble , even your comment above if reiterated in of him could cause
upset , he may care deeply for is grandmother ,Many people don't bother with
there relatives elderly or otherwise it does not however mean that they
don't wish pay respects to them

steve robinson

Apr 17, 2004, 11:20:51 AM4/17/04

"dave" <waveyd...@aol.com> wrote in message
> And reap the whirl wind when he finds out differently

Alec

Apr 17, 2004, 4:58:13 PM4/17/04

"Harry The Horse" <HarryAtT...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
This is not so. A funeral isn't a public event in the way a Sunday service
or a wedding is. For a good reason you can make attendance by invitation
only, as it often happens with celebrities and others in public life to
control the numbers. You can send personal invitations or issue (free)
tickets. To stop gatecrashers you can have a couple of ushers on the lookout
at the door.
But as others have said it's best to have a quiet word with the person
concerned and insist on decent behaviour for the sake of other mourners and
in memory of the deceased.
There is no obligation to invite him to a wake or reception afterwards.

Alec

Alasdair Baxter

Apr 18, 2004, 1:54:52 PM4/18/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:51:40 +0100, "Bert" <xyz...@xyz123.xyz123>
wrote:

>I have a funeral next week and I like to know if we can ban the grandson of
>the deceased from coming. The person in question has started fights on
>previous funerals. Can can we deal with this.

To try and ban a grandson from his grandparent's funeral is the mother
of all insults. It will probably cause a family feud which could last
for generations. In my view, it's a very bad idea.

My suggestion would be to have a quiet word with the person concerned
when he is fully sober (8 or 9 am) and explain your fears about his
past behaviour. Alternatively, you could ask the vicar or minister to
have a word with him.

If you are still not satisfied, you could ask for a policeman to
attend to prevent any possible breach of the peace. Police often
attend funerals to regulate traffic etc., and I suspect it wouldn't
look too much out of place. Then, if any trouble does start, the
police are on hand to deal with it.

--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Paul C. Dickie

Apr 19, 2004, 11:09:30 PM4/19/04
In article <v9c280dd2rgno4ptj...@4ax.com>,
spam...@mailhot.com writes
>Have a couple of handy friends to control him if ness without upseting
>the others.( I meant "handy" friends - not friends handy.)

Or have a spare coffin handy in which to deposit him, at least until the
funeral is over?

--
< Paul >

Timothy Lee

Apr 24, 2004, 5:27:10 AM4/24/04
In message <qv3880t9v08h5o8ku...@4ax.com>, Alasdair Baxter
<l...@llb.me.uk> writes

>My suggestion would be to have a quiet word with the person concerned
>when he is fully sober (8 or 9 am) and explain your fears about his
>past behaviour. Alternatively, you could ask the vicar or minister to
>have a word with him.

Assuming this is a Church of England church, the churchwardens have some
sort of power of arrest, should there be any disruption to the funeral;
certainly warn the priest, and, I suggest, the funeral directors.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Alasdair Baxter

Apr 25, 2004, 11:05:26 AM4/25/04
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:27:10 +0100, Timothy Lee <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Assuming this is a Church of England church, the churchwardens have some
>sort of power of arrest, should there be any disruption to the funeral;
>certainly warn the priest, and, I suggest, the funeral directors.

The churchwardens' civil powers were removed many, many years ago.
Check in uk.religion.christian

Timothy Lee

Apr 26, 2004, 3:55:21 AM4/26/04
In message <mrkn80l7ut6ir1q8b...@4ax.com>, Alasdair Baxter
<l...@llb.me.uk> writes

>On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:27:10 +0100, Timothy Lee <m...@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Assuming this is a Church of England church, the churchwardens have some
>>sort of power of arrest, should there be any disruption to the funeral;
>>certainly warn the priest, and, I suggest, the funeral directors.
>
>The churchwardens' civil powers were removed many, many years ago.
>Check in uk.religion.christian

Um, are you sure? A friend of mine has used them within the last couple
of years.

taataa...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2014, 2:27:00 AM7/5/14
Hi Buddies,
At last we got excellent place to share your condolence messafes in online. Kindly visit to http://www.taataabyebye.com/

Special Care

Jul 7, 2014, 8:07:10 AM7/7/14
On Saturday, 17 April 2004 11:58:26 UTC+1, Harry The Horse wrote:
> Bert wrote:
> priest said that funerals are public events and that he had no power to
> prevent anyone attending.

That is false.
A church building and its precincts are private property.
I know a guy who applied for the position of 'verger' at a local church, and he was told that one of his duties would be to act as a bouncer, to keep 'undesirables' away from the church precincts and to eject them if necessary.

maggie...@live.co.uk

Sep 6, 2017, 11:17:55 PM9/6/17
Police don't even have time to come out for burglaries!!!! Funerals?