Exploding Cow Problem

Jonathan

Apr 6, 2005, 7:00:17 PM4/6/05
Can anyone give me a steer on the following rather tricky situation I
now find myself in:

I live in a detached house between two others, each with large gardens.
While my neighbours have usually been at least civil to me in the
past, they have for some reason always hated each other (I moved in only
a few years ago while they have been here much longer).

One neighbour kept a cow (Frisian I think) as a pet. Several weeks ago
it broke through my fence and started eating some of my compost heap, in
which my son (he is very small) had hidden a number of "Sparklets" CO2
canisters. It seems the cow ate these with the compost.

The next morning, my neighbour awoke to admire her cow. At some point,
one or more of the canisters then burst inside the cow with apparently
instant and very unpleasantly fatal results.

She immediately suspected foul play by my other neighbour, and proceeded
to accuse her of killing her cow. I tried to intervene (my son having
recently confessed to putting the canisters in the compost heap) but
somehow managed to make both parties think that I was either covering up
for the other, or had in fact killed the animal myself for some reason.

I am now the focus of much abuse from both neighbours and am not sure
which way to turn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jonathan

Jonathan Davies

Apr 6, 2005, 7:24:35 PM4/6/05

"Jonathan" <sorry@this_is_fake.com> wrote in message

Invite them around for a BBQ to resolve the 'issues'. Beefburgers should go
down well.

HTH.

Message has been deleted

Palindr☻me

Apr 6, 2005, 8:01:02 PM4/6/05
Jonathan wrote:

AFAIK, a cow's digestive tract only has one section, the
abomasum, which contains acid strong enough to affect a
Sparklets bulb. Material passes through this stage in four
hours - after which the acid passing through with it is
rapidly neutralised.

The timing thus seems to make it unlikely that the Sparklets
bulbs instigated the unfortunate "apparently instant and
very unpleasantly fatal results". Eaten the day before, the
bulbs would have exploded long before petting time, or not
at all.

Thus your own feelings of guilt may be misplaced. This may
indeed be purely a coincidence and the real culprit is yet
to be identified.

It may be that the other neighbour noticed the unusual diet
of the animal and introduced his own device into the cow -
one way or another.

So, you could explain to one neighbour that it couldn't have
been anything other than coincidence. And mention to the
other neighbour that Sparklets-style bulbs can also be had
containing oxygen or butane/propane mixtures....If you are
going to do a job - do it well..

--

Sue

Joe Lee

Apr 6, 2005, 9:27:01 PM4/6/05

"Jonathan" <sorry@this_is_fake.com> wrote in message

Don't know about the cow - sounds like a load of bullocks to me !

Joe Lee

TEAL'C

Apr 7, 2005, 12:09:32 AM4/7/05
its not April !st is it

The Caretaker

Apr 7, 2005, 1:58:57 AM4/7/05
TEAL'C wrote:
> its not April !st is it

Maybe the OP's clocks are all wrong.

--
The Caretaker .........

Andrew Crane

Apr 7, 2005, 4:33:17 AM4/7/05

"Joe Lee" <nos...@this.address> wrote in message

> Don't know about the cow - sounds like a load of bullocks to me !

I think it's abominabull.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Livewire

Apr 7, 2005, 4:34:56 AM4/7/05
In article <42546a02$1...@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, sorry@this_is_fake.com
says...
This is an entertainingly unlikely story. But what has it got to do with
uk.legal? uk.flying.pigs maybe!

Palindr☻me

Apr 7, 2005, 5:59:39 AM4/7/05
Livewire wrote:
> In article <42546a02$1...@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, sorry@this_is_fake.com
> says...

<snip tale of admitting liability for damage to livestock

> This is an entertainingly unlikely story. But what has it got to do with
> uk.legal? uk.flying.pigs maybe!

The legal point that I tried to bring out in my reply to the
OP was, IMHO, an important one.

The situation may not be as it first appears and it is
seldom wise to rush to an admission of liability.

--

Sue

Anthony Edwards

Apr 7, 2005, 6:29:40 AM4/7/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 00:00:17 +0100, Jonathan <sorry@this_is_fake.com> wrote:

> I am now the focus of much abuse from both neighbours and am not sure
> which way to turn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tell them not to beef about it.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Anthony Edwards

Apr 7, 2005, 6:31:15 AM4/7/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:59:39 +0100, Palindr?me <sb38...@hotmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> The situation may not be as it first appears and it is
> seldom wise to rush to an admission of liability.

Particularly when it is suspected that one's potential adversaries in
possible future litigation intend to milk the issue for all it's worth.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

The Caretaker

Apr 7, 2005, 6:54:36 AM4/7/05
Anthony Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:59:39 +0100, Palindr?me <sb38...@hotmail.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>>The situation may not be as it first appears and it is
>>seldom wise to rush to an admission of liability.
>

> Particularly when it is suspected that one's potential adversaries in
> possible future litigation intend to milk the issue for all it's worth.

Better to chew the cud for a while first, I expect.

--
The Caretaker .........

Anthony Edwards

Apr 7, 2005, 10:17:41 AM4/7/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:54:36 GMT, The Caretaker <the_ca...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Indeed. It is not a good idea to compose documents likely to be
involved in litigation on the hoof.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

gra...@dircon.co.uk

Apr 7, 2005, 1:09:29 PM4/7/05
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:44:31 GMT, Lon...@am2ma.eu wrote:

>>Invite them around for a BBQ to resolve the 'issues'. Beefburgers should go
>>down well.
>

>Or ask them to bring their own steak.

That would be a missteak.

Graham

gra...@dircon.co.uk

Apr 7, 2005, 1:11:28 PM4/7/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:31:15 -0000, Anthony Edwards
<use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>Particularly when it is suspected that one's potential adversaries in
>possible future litigation intend to milk the issue for all it's worth.

Moooooove along there - that was awful. Did you come up with that joke
on the hoof?

Graham

Anthony Edwards

Apr 7, 2005, 3:25:19 PM4/7/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:11:28 GMT, gra...@dircon.co.uk <gra...@dircon.co.uk>
wrote:

I just took the bull by the horns and went for it.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Joe Lee

Apr 7, 2005, 10:39:48 PM4/7/05

"Anthony Edwards" <use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message

Quite right, but on the udder hand one should never be cowed into
submission.

Joe Lee

> --
> Anthony Edwards
> ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Rob

Apr 8, 2005, 5:41:40 AM4/8/05

"Anthony Edwards" <use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message

i have never in my life heard so much tripe

Anthony Edwards

Apr 8, 2005, 8:01:41 AM4/8/05

But equally, one should not go about things like a bull in a china
shop.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Robert Campbell

Apr 8, 2005, 9:08:12 AM4/8/05
Anthony Edwards wrote:

> But equally, one should not go about things like a bull in a china
> shop.
>
> --
> Anthony Edwards
> ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Fur calf.

(I've been waiting to use that in the right context for a long long time...)

gra...@dircon.co.uk

Apr 8, 2005, 1:02:17 PM4/8/05
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:01:41 -0000, Anthony Edwards
<use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>But equally, one should not go about things like a bull in a china
>shop.

or even a sparker bullb in a china shop

Graham

gra...@dircon.co.uk

Apr 8, 2005, 1:02:56 PM4/8/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:25:19 -0000, Anthony Edwards
<use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>I just took the bull by the horns and went for it.

You should be on stage.....sweeping up

(:-)

Graham

Harry The Horse

Apr 8, 2005, 4:52:54 PM4/8/05
Jonathan wrote:

> The next morning, my neighbour awoke to admire her cow. At some point,
> one or more of the canisters then burst inside the cow with apparently
> instant and very unpleasantly fatal results.

Don't have a cow, man.

Joe Lee

Apr 8, 2005, 6:36:53 PM4/8/05

"Anthony Edwards" <use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message

Good point. I've only skimmed through this thread but It's clear that
nothing's got past your eyes.

Joe Lee

Anthony Edwards

Apr 8, 2005, 6:46:50 PM4/8/05

Well, I don't have a steak in the issue but I do try to ensure that my
postings are not a load of old bullocks.

--
Anthony Edwards
ant...@catfish.nildram.co.uk

Michael Swift

Apr 9, 2005, 12:56:45 PM4/9/05
In article <115e2eq...@news.supernews.com>, Anthony Edwards
<use...@catfish.nildram.co.uk> writes

>>> But equally, one should not go about things like a bull in a china
>>> shop.
>>
>> Good point. I've only skimmed through this thread but It's clear that
>> nothing's got past your eyes.
>
>Well, I don't have a steak in the issue but I do try to ensure that my
>postings are not a load of old bullocks.

Has the OP been offered cownselling for this unfortunate incident.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange