New HMRC Postcode(s) do not exist!

Martin Brown

Dec 22, 2014, 5:00:48 AM12/22/14
Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
(ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)

The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.

http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeff

Dec 22, 2014, 5:09:27 AM12/22/14
The postcodes do exist; the BX code is a non-geographic one that does
not relate to a specific address. a bit like an 0845 phone no. Other
companies use them as well as HMRC. So tying to find where the letter is
going from the Royal Mail public database won't work.

Jeff

Simon Mason

Dec 22, 2014, 5:11:41 AM12/22/14
Probably still struggling with deleting "Humberside" from the database after 19 years.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/general-news/red-letter-day-as-royal-mail-admits-humberside-doesn-t-exist-1-6869844

--

Simon Mason

Martin Brown

Dec 22, 2014, 5:38:41 AM12/22/14
On 22/12/2014 10:08, Jeff wrote:
> On 22/12/2014 10:00, Martin Brown wrote:
>> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
>> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>>
>> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
>> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>>
>> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>>
>> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
>> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
>> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>>

> The postcodes do exist; the BX code is a non-geographic one that does
> not relate to a specific address. a bit like an 0845 phone no. Other

It should still show up in the Royal Mail postcode database as having a
legitimate owner otherwise how can you have any confidence in sending
important time critical mail to an address *flagged* as invalid?

> companies use them as well as HMRC. So tying to find where the letter is
> going from the Royal Mail public database won't work.
>
> Jeff

It seems remarkably dumb to have postcodes with no visible owners!

If you look up an 0845 number on the net you generally get some info. If
you look up BX1* on the net you have to work hard to find any! eg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postcode_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom#BX

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeff

Dec 22, 2014, 5:51:44 AM12/22/14

>> companies use them as well as HMRC. So tying to find where the letter is
>> going from the Royal Mail public database won't work.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> It seems remarkably dumb to have postcodes with no visible owners!
>
> If you look up an 0845 number on the net you generally get some info. If
> you look up BX1* on the net you have to work hard to find any! eg.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postcode_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom#BX

Plenty of info in a Google search on BX1 and even from the very wikki
page that you quote (but did not read):

"BX[edit]

The non-geographic postcode area BX has been introduced for addresses
which do not include a locality, this allows large organisations
long-term flexibility as to where they receive their mail. This postcode
area is used by Lloyds TSB (BX1 1LT) and the VAT Central Unit of HM
Revenue and Customs (BX5 5AT)."

Jeff

Jeff

Dec 22, 2014, 5:53:52 AM12/22/14
On 22/12/2014 10:38, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 22/12/2014 10:08, Jeff wrote:
>> On 22/12/2014 10:00, Martin Brown wrote:
>>> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
>>> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>>>
>>> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
>>> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>>>
>>> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>>>
>>> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
>>> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
>>> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>>>

>> The postcodes do exist; the BX code is a non-geographic one that does
>> not relate to a specific address. a bit like an 0845 phone no. Other
>
> It should still show up in the Royal Mail postcode database as having a
> legitimate owner otherwise how can you have any confidence in sending
> important time critical mail to an address *flagged* as invalid?
>
>> companies use them as well as HMRC. So tying to find where the letter is
>> going from the Royal Mail public database won't work.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> It seems remarkably dumb to have postcodes with no visible owners!

No different to a PO Box number, which is what I suspect that BX stands for.

Jeff

Martin Brown

Dec 22, 2014, 6:32:25 AM12/22/14
I did read it. The point is that a non-geographic *POSTCODE* is about as
conceptually flawed a product as you can ever hope to construct.

Any typo or mistake results in a total misdirection with no hope of the
mistake being corrected by sorters or posties local knowledge!

The postcode should check out in the Royal Mail database if it actually
exists as a valid entity saying who the owner is even if the geographic
location cannot be determined!

It should not code come back as "Invalid" or "not found". The stupid
halfwits have allocated these codes their database should include them!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

notya...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2014, 7:12:14 AM12/22/14
On Monday, 22 December 2014 10:00:48 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
Send a test item recorded delivery and track it, however the destination might be regional.

Jeff

Dec 22, 2014, 8:03:04 AM12/22/14

> I did read it. The point is that a non-geographic *POSTCODE* is about as
> conceptually flawed a product as you can ever hope to construct.

It is not "conceptually flawed" in any way, a postcode is nothing more
than that, a code that relates to a delivery destination, there is
nothing inherent on a postcode that requires it to be decodable to a
specific geographical location by the sender.

> Any typo or mistake results in a total misdirection with no hope of the
> mistake being corrected by sorters or posties local knowledge!

I assume that you would be sensible enough to write the full address on
the envelope not just the post code then I would have thought that:
HM Revenue & Customs
VAT Controller
VAT Central Unit
BX5 5AT
would have been enough to get it to the correct destination even if the
post code was wrong.

> The postcode should check out in the Royal Mail database if it actually
> exists as a valid entity saying who the owner is even if the geographic
> location cannot be determined!
>
> It should not code come back as "Invalid" or "not found". The stupid
> halfwits have allocated these codes their database should include them!

But who actually checks the postcode against the database when given the
address to reply to? Very few people I suspect. Mostly it is used either
to find your own or a post code that you don't have from an address.

It might be irritating to if you are trying to find out where the VAT
Central Unit is actually based from the postcode, but that is something
that you don't need to know!!

Jeff

Martin Brown

Dec 22, 2014, 8:28:34 AM12/22/14
On 22/12/2014 13:02, Jeff wrote:

>> I did read it. The point is that a non-geographic *POSTCODE* is about as
>> conceptually flawed a product as you can ever hope to construct.
>
> It is not "conceptually flawed" in any way, a postcode is nothing more
> than that, a code that relates to a delivery destination, there is
> nothing inherent on a postcode that requires it to be decodable to a
> specific geographical location by the sender.

It doesn't need to be decodable to a geographic location but you do want
to be very sure that it is to the right destination where non-delivery
or delays could result in financial penalties.

What I am complaining about is that the Royal Mail database gives Not
Found or Invalid as its response to these apparently *VALID* postcodes.

>> Any typo or mistake results in a total misdirection with no hope of the
>> mistake being corrected by sorters or posties local knowledge!
>
> I assume that you would be sensible enough to write the full address on
> the envelope not just the post code then I would have thought that:
> HM Revenue & Customs
> VAT Controller
> VAT Central Unit
> BX5 5AT
> would have been enough to get it to the correct destination even if the
> post code was wrong.

Try telling that to HMRC the correspondence address was literally

HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS
.
BX1 1AS

Would you trust *that* on its own as a valid postal address?

The . was real and on a line by itself.

>> The postcode should check out in the Royal Mail database if it actually
>> exists as a valid entity saying who the owner is even if the geographic
>> location cannot be determined!
>>
>> It should not code come back as "Invalid" or "not found". The stupid
>> halfwits have allocated these codes their database should include them!
>

> But who actually checks the postcode against the database when given the
> address to reply to? Very few people I suspect. Mostly it is used either
> to find your own or a post code that you don't have from an address.
>
> It might be irritating to if you are trying to find out where the VAT
> Central Unit is actually based from the postcode, but that is something
> that you don't need to know!!

But you do need to know that you are sending time critical documents to
the right place and when according to their supplied postcode their
address officially does not exist this is not very professional is it?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeff

Dec 22, 2014, 9:25:12 AM12/22/14

> But you do need to know that you are sending time critical documents to
> the right place and when according to their supplied postcode their
> address officially does not exist this is not very professional is it?

If it is that critical you would be sending it special delivery and you
would have proof that it had arrived safely.

HMRC have given you the address so why would you doubt its authenticity?
It is also very easy to verify the Central VAT Unit's postcode on line,
just put HMRC BX5 into Google you will find it has been BX5 5AT since
Sept 2008. lots of hits.

Jeff

Judith

Dec 22, 2014, 10:56:37 AM12/22/14
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:38:39 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> If
>you look up BX1* on the net you have to work hard to find any! eg.

Not really : put in postcode BX1 in to Google. What do you get as the first
entry?

BX1 1LT
The non-geographic postcode area BX has been introduced for addresses which do
not include a locality, this allows large organisations long-term flexibility
as to where they receive their mail. This postcode area is used by Lloyds TSB
(BX1 1LT) and the VAT Central Unit of HM Revenue and Customs (BX5 5AT).
List of postcode areas in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postcode_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Alex Heney

Dec 22, 2014, 4:57:13 PM12/22/14
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:32:23 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> It seems remarkably dumb to have postcodes with no visible owners!
>>>
>>> If you look up an 0845 number on the net you generally get some info. If
>>> you look up BX1* on the net you have to work hard to find any! eg.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postcode_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom#BX
>>>

>> Plenty of info in a Google search on BX1 and even from the very wikki
>> page that you quote (but did not read):
>>
>> "BX[edit]
>>
>> The non-geographic postcode area BX has been introduced for addresses
>> which do not include a locality, this allows large organisations
>> long-term flexibility as to where they receive their mail. This postcode
>> area is used by Lloyds TSB (BX1 1LT) and the VAT Central Unit of HM
>> Revenue and Customs (BX5 5AT)."
>
>I did read it. The point is that a non-geographic *POSTCODE* is about as
>conceptually flawed a product as you can ever hope to construct.

Not really, because the only people who need to know where it is are
the post office, and they will know.

>Any typo or mistake results in a total misdirection with no hope of the
>mistake being corrected by sorters or posties local knowledge!
>
>The postcode should check out in the Royal Mail database if it actually
>exists as a valid entity saying who the owner is even if the geographic
>location cannot be determined!

It *will* check out in their database.

Just not in the part of it they offer public access to.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
In God we trust; all else we walk through.

zsm...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2015, 7:50:41 AM2/19/15
Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

this is the correct address.

tim.....

Feb 20, 2015, 10:41:25 AM2/20/15

<zsm...@gmail.com> wrote in message
do you mean because you can't find it on a map

Royal Mail have recently started to give large recipients of mai,l postcodes
which don't resolve down to a geographical location.

This is obviously one of those

tim

notya...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2015, 12:21:43 PM2/20/15
On Monday, 22 December 2014 10:00:48 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
You can rent PO Boxes. They have not very geographic post codes - mine was M60 1BZ. Large users (like banks and the council) had them too, but associated with a street address, nevertheless they also had a real post code.

JNugent

Feb 20, 2015, 4:34:14 PM2/20/15
On 20/02/2015 15:41, tim..... wrote:

> <zsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Self Assessment
>> HM Revenue and Customs
>> BX9 1AS
>> United Kingdom
>> this is the correct address.

> do you mean because you can't find it on a map
> Royal Mail have recently started to give large recipients of mai,l
> postcodes which don't resolve down to a geographical location.
> This is obviously one of those
> tim

That's been happening for decades.

L69 (a non-geographical Liverpool code used for various large recipients
of mail in various parts of the city and environs) has been in use for
at least thirty years.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_postcode_area>

dianes...@googlemail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 11:36:46 AM3/20/15
Hi

Although this postcode doesn't exist, all communications with HMRC are diverted to CF14 8JS in Cardiff. HMRC will deal with them and it takes up to 9 weeks to do so.

Mrcheerful

Mar 20, 2015, 12:20:21 PM3/20/15
On 20/03/2015 15:36, dianes...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Although this postcode doesn't exist, all communications with HMRC are diverted to CF14 8JS in Cardiff. HMRC will deal with them and it takes up to 9 weeks to do so.

The postcode is an internal one for the PO box system, it does exist as
a street address and resolves to LLanishen in cardiff (where the PO
sorting place is.)

Jeff

Mar 20, 2015, 1:19:26 PM3/20/15
On 20/03/2015 15:36, dianes...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Although this postcode doesn't exist, all communications with HMRC are diverted to CF14 8JS in Cardiff. HMRC will deal with them and it takes up to 9 weeks to do so.

More likely the central HMRC post depot in Bradford.

Jeff

Jeff

Mar 20, 2015, 1:21:13 PM3/20/15

> The postcode is an internal one for the PO box system, it does exist as
> a street address and resolves to LLanishen in cardiff (where the PO
> sorting place is.)

That is HMRC at Ty Glas not the PO.

Jeff

muttley...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2016, 9:33:58 AM1/17/16
On Monday, 22 December 2014 10:00:48 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
Royal Mail do not allow tracking facility without a town , so you can not get proof of delivery and HMRC can lose your paperwork !

cchri...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 7:14:29 AM2/4/16
Good morning,

I have received a communication and like you have found the Post Code does not exist. Interestingly the Tax Ref carries the last 3 alpha-numeric employer code, but not completely right. Also the would be tax code is not in the correct format (2 alph, followed by 6 numer and 1 alpha.

I strongly suspect that this is a fraudulent notification and I would notify you local Tax Office.

CD

Apr 13, 2016, 11:07:48 PM4/13/16
And yet sending a letter from overseas to HMRC at BX9 1AU fails because the postcode is not on the database and the address is insufficient.

R. Mark Clayton

Apr 14, 2016, 6:42:43 AM4/14/16
As well as national non geographic ones there are virtual geographic ones - e.g. for PO Boxes, such as M60 1BZ that my company rented from 1989 - ~2008. You can also have them for major addressees such as banks and the town hall.

nathan...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 3:42:46 AM10/13/16
"Royal Mail do not allow tracking facility without a town" -

WRONG.

R. Mark Clayton

Oct 13, 2016, 7:37:50 AM10/13/16
On Monday, 22 December 2014 10:00:48 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>
> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>
> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>
> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

It is one of Royal Mail's non geographic post codes.

You won't find my old PO Box (M60 1BZ) either, but they both 'exist'.
Message has been deleted

Shitsack Moishe Goldberg

Oct 26, 2018, 9:35:41 AM10/26/18
On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 05:41:13 -0700 (PDT), chicken...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Monday, 22 December 2014 10:00:48 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
>> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
>> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>>
>> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
>> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>>
>> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>>
>> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
>> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
>> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Martin Brown
>
>Trying to send off an urgent self assessment to bx9 1lz.
>Royal mail on-line postal service have rejected postcode stating "Recipient postcode could not be found."
>Nothing on-line to give me the full address.
>Will have to go out especially to buy a book of stamps. Idiotic.

You should have simply sent it to the address given.

BX9 1BX and similar are artificial post codes and are not on the Royal
Mail database. It’s a mail handling facility operated by HMRC in
Bexley, Kent. Letters are opened and scanned and electronically
dispatched to other HMRC offices

eltacouri...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2018, 1:38:10 PM12/4/18
Τη Δευτέρα, 22 Δεκεμβρίου 2014 - 12:00:48 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Martin Brown έγραψε:
> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>
> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>
> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>
> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

When recently tried posting to a Bx code of HMRC . I discovered that its not an address specific code(maybe for security issues) but they have a certain address for all mailing purposes. For example https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/couriers

JNugent

Dec 4, 2018, 8:43:10 PM12/4/18
Lots of public and other important buildings have official postcodes
which don't actually exist and cannot be traced on a satnav, but which
work to their intended purpose at the sorting office. This is usually
the case where the building deals with a lot of mail.

R. Mark Clayton

Dec 5, 2018, 6:49:40 AM12/5/18
Yes I had one for a couple of decades, but guess what, you can't give to government aganecies like HMRC...

Martin Brown

Dec 5, 2018, 9:04:06 AM12/5/18
On 05/12/2018 01:43, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 18:38, eltacouri...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Τη Δευτέρα, 22 Δεκεμβρίου 2014 - 12:00:48 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Martin
>> Brown έγραψε:
>>> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
>>> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>>>
>>> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
>>> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>>>
>>> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>>>
>>> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
>>> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
>>> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>>
>> When recently tried posting to a Bx code of HMRC . I discovered that
>> its not an address specific code(maybe for security issues) but they
>> have a certain address for all mailing purposes. For example
>> https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/couriers
>>

> Lots of public and other important buildings have official postcodes
> which don't actually exist and cannot be traced on a satnav, but which
> work to their intended purpose at the sorting office. This is usually
> the case where the building deals with a lot of mail.

Then they should be in the BT postcode database but without a physical
location specified as "Government Use - non-Geographic". The postcode
needs to check out as valid even if it has no well defined location (a
fiction if ever there was one since the PO have to deliver mail to it).

Otherwise how can you tell if you are sending a reply into oblivion?
HMRC is close to that anyway in terms of time taken to repy.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

JNugent

Dec 5, 2018, 10:22:21 AM12/5/18
Royal Mail identify the mail at the sorting office (it's their baby) for
bulk delivery. These virtual postcodes exist only to make Royal Mail's
task easier and more efficient

> Otherwise how can you tell if you are sending a reply into oblivion?

If you are replying to a company or public authority, you know the
postcoe is real because they have told you about it. How would you know
that *any* postcode is real?

> HMRC is close to that anyway in terms of time taken to repy.

It isn't limited to public-sector buildings

Mail-order companies (for instance) sometimes have bespoke postcodes,
located within the area of a "real" postcode district. They aren't
geographic and could even move with the company if it were to move its
own location.

R. Mark Clayton

Dec 5, 2018, 1:13:38 PM12/5/18
Indeed and moving office (only ten doors) is why we got one (M60). OTOH it proved to be convenient, especially when visiting shows, because you could give cards out with the PO box address and not have salesmen turn up unannounced, so we kept it Conversely when giving cards to customers these had the impressive street address (Clayton House, Piccadilly, Manchester...).

You can have stuff delivered to premises served by the sorting office the box is in (or just go and collect it), but to have it sent anywhere else is expensive and they keep messing it up.

Shitsack Moishe Goldberg

Dec 5, 2018, 1:24:43 PM12/5/18
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 10:13:36 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
<notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 15:22:21 UTC, JNugent wrote:

Er, what could POSSIBLY be 'impressive' about a Manchester address,
wack?

Sick old nazoid pedo Andrew Andrzej Baron

Dec 5, 2018, 2:59:50 PM12/5/18

In article <tt5g0e95im92ikt96...@4ax.com>,
A shiteating cowardly nazoid sub-louse PEDO named Andrew "Andrzej"
Baron (aka "Shitsack Moishe Goldberg") wrote:

> Er, what could POSSIBLY be 'impressive' about a Manchester address,
> wack?

Er, why don't you stop raping two year olds, pedo Andrzej?

Martin Brown

Dec 5, 2018, 3:11:53 PM12/5/18
I generally look it up if the thing being sent is important.

>> HMRC is close to that anyway in terms of time taken to repy.
>
> It isn't limited to public-sector buildings
>
>  Mail-order companies (for instance) sometimes have bespoke postcodes,
> located within the area of a "real" postcode district. They aren't
> geographic and could even move with the company if it were to move its
> own location.

Even so it the postcode has been issued it should be in the PO postcode
database even if it is tagged as "non-Geographic".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Peter Parry

Dec 6, 2018, 10:21:00 AM12/6/18
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:38:08 -0800 (PST), eltacouri...@gmail.com
wrote:

>> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
>> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>>
>> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
>> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.

They are not malformed nor are they invalid. For a list see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcodes_in_the_United_Kingdom#Non-geographic_codes

johnto...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 5:42:25 AM1/23/19
On Monday, December 22, 2014 at 2:00:48 PM UTC+4, Martin Brown wrote:
> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>
> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>
> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>
> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Courier deliveries to HMRC: PO box and BX postcodes
Post
Use this address if you’re a courier for all post items being delivered to either a closed HMRC site, a PO box or BX postcode.

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

marcu...@hotmail.co.uk

Feb 28, 2019, 6:44:42 AM2/28/19
It's probably because so many people have got the right hump with the tax office they don't want people turning up at their doorstep with burning torches and pitchforks to crack a few skulls.they are scared of the masses after ripping them off .....simples....

graham...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 4:47:55 AM5/27/19
This causes mayhem when I try to send back my tax return from Turkey... they insist on a REAL address.

The Marquis Saint Evremonde

May 27, 2019, 11:23:18 AM5/27/19
graham...@gmail.com posted
>This causes mayhem when I try to send back my tax return from Turkey...
>they insist on a REAL address.

That's nothing. The Charity Commission refuses to give out any address
at all, let alone postcode.

--
Evremonde

Fredxx

May 30, 2019, 8:39:49 PM5/30/19

The Marquis Saint Evremonde

May 31, 2019, 2:40:45 AM5/31/19
Fredxx <fre...@nospam.com> posted
>On 27/05/2019 16:19, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
>> graham...@gmail.com posted
>>> This causes mayhem when I try to send back my tax return from
>>>Turkey... they insist on a REAL address.
>> That's nothing. The Charity Commission refuses to give out any
>>address at all, let alone postcode.
>
>I'm sure the address here will work.
> https://charitylawassociation.org.uk/1589-2/

That's not the Charity Commission, and it's four years old.

>https://www.charity-commission.co.uk/2014/08/charity-commission-address-
>postal.html

That's not the Charity Commission either, and it's five years old.

> https://contactnumbers.buzz/charity-commission/

That's not the Charity Commission either.

>It seems hardly a secret?

You wouldn't think so would you? But I e-mailed them and phoned the
press office, and they wouldn't give me their address.

--
Evremonde

Fredxx

May 31, 2019, 8:30:21 PM5/31/19
Maybe it is 5 or 6 years old, but Royal Mail still have L20 7YX as a
unique postcode for the Charities Commission:
https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

On the other hand, something more recent:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/724952/CC_Annual-Report-Accounts-2017-18_A4_web.pdf

Lists registered head office at: 102 Petty France, London, SW1H 9AJ

Which of course is/was, according to Royal Mail the same as Ministry of
Justice.

roxann...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2020, 2:55:43 PM2/20/20
On Monday, December 22, 2014 at 3:00:48 AM UTC-7, Martin Brown wrote:
> Here is an interesting one. HMRC are now using invalid postcodes!
> (ie does not appear at all on the Royal Mail national database)
>
> The malformed one I saw was HMRC . BX1 1AS (sic) which quite literally
> does not exist! Try it and see. There are apparently others.
>
> http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode
>
> Seems to me like a supremely stupid approach for a government department
> to use a blank reply to address with a solitary postcode which fails
> against the Royal Mail national database of valid postcodes.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

I am trying to post information to HMRC from the USA, I have to submit a self assessment and 2 form MUST be submitted by post. Having already missed my deadline I find that without a town or province, the USPS can't produce a correct stamp label. Google suggested I use BX9 as the town and 1AS as the province. Lloyds Bank also use this BX9 code, it's basically a PO BOX.
The same for on line printing options. SO:

I talked to a Post Office rep on line and here's the transcript:

I am sorry but there is no area just HMRC, BX9 1AS or in certain case for international post the address HM Revenue and Customs, Benton Park View, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ, United Kingdom can be used. Benton Park View is in an area called Longbenton in the City of Newcastle upon Tyne in the County of Tyne and Wear.

I Hope this helps?

carlda...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2020, 1:44:44 PM2/24/20
Fake tax letters with fake demands with fake post codes
Do not get conned dont pay anything check else where first
The criminals get inside data the the tax office pretend to be hmrc ring you fake tel numbers and letters beware they are very convincing

Richard Dalglish

Dec 28, 2022, 10:30:56 AM12/28/22
I can confirm from a telephone conversation with HMRC this afternoon (28th December 2002) that the postal address to be used from abroad (in my case because I'm using UPS instead of the Post Office to avoid the strike delays) is:
HMRC, Benton Park View, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ
The unbelievable truth is that this is not the address given on the Double Taxation Reclamation Form which is specifically for people who live in Europe! It only has the BX91AS non-geographical postcode!