Incident number or crime number

Alasdair Baxter

May 18, 2003, 9:21:17 PM5/18/03
Please, can someone tell me the difference between an "incident
number" and a "crime number" as far as the police are concerned?
--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Lansbury

May 19, 2003, 2:37:26 AM5/19/03
On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:21:17 +0100, Alasdair Baxter <l...@london.com> wrote:

>Please, can someone tell me the difference between an "incident
>number" and a "crime number" as far as the police are concerned?

Every call that requires a police response is logged and is given a reference
number, that is an incident number.

The incident which police attend may be where a crime has been committed and a
crime report is taken. That is given a crime number. If you call police to say
a burglary at your house it will have an incident number for the call and
police attendance and the result will include the crime number reporting the
burglary.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net

Lansbury

May 19, 2003, 12:13:44 PM5/19/03
On Mon, 19 May 2003 09:09:16 +0100, AA(xx)@xx(aa).com wrote:

>Does that mean if they do not respond to a call it is not classed as a
>crime?

Well judging from the fact that my wife has reported two thefts at her work
place and while the local police have not attended, these have still been
recorded as a crime and a crime report number given to her, I would say that
tends to suggest that how they respond doesn't have a bearing on how it is
classified.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net

Andy Long

May 19, 2003, 1:34:23 PM5/19/03

"AA (xx) (aa) .com" <@xx> wrote in message

> >Every call that requires a police response is logged
>
> Does that mean if they do not respond to a call it is not classed as a
> crime?

No.