Mobile phone company won't give me PAC code

Mark

Nov 27, 2010, 6:25:04 AM11/27/10

I want to transfer my mobile number to a new operator so I am trying
to get a PAC code from my previous company. I telephoned their
"customer services" department and they refused to give me a code
citing "Data Protection" (I had not yet 'registered' the phone -- but
they won't let me do this now). They told me to go to one of their
shops to prove who I am. I did this and got a password set up. At
the shop they told me I could not get a PAC code from them, instead I
had to phone the customer services department again. I phoned again
and they told me the password was useless and I had to go back to the
shop again. They also told me I would be committing fraud if they
gave me a PAC code! I complained and asked to speak to the manager
and he also said they could not give me a PAC code unless I registered
the phone by going back to the store. He said I could give fake
details if I wished!

Surely there is no law prevents them giving me a PAC code in this
situation? Isn't encouraging me to give fake details a bit dodgy too?

zaax

Nov 27, 2010, 8:55:03 AM11/27/10
X-My weather: http://tinyurl.com/ch6krz
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:52:17 GMT

Alot of companies use this as an excuse. The data protection act only
covers personal details and no more. I would talk to trading
standards and the phone regulator.

Though I would registar the phone & new sim card with your new
provider.

Tim Jackson

Nov 27, 2010, 10:05:04 AM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:25:04 +0000, Mark wrote...

Sounds like bad training of the staff in the shop. Try going back there
with the phone and your ID. Ask to speak to the shop manager, and ask
him/her to phone Customer Services for you.

--
Tim Jackson
ne...@timjackson.invalid

Tim Jackson

Nov 27, 2010, 10:15:04 AM11/27/10
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:25:04 +0000, Mark wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I want to transfer my mobile number to a new operator so I am trying
> to get a PAC code from my previous company. I telephoned their
> "customer services" department and they refused to give me a code
> citing "Data Protection" (I had not yet 'registered' the phone -- but
> they won't let me do this now). They told me to go to one of their
> shops to prove who I am. I did this and got a password set up. At
> the shop they told me I could not get a PAC code from them, instead I
> had to phone the customer services department again. I phoned again
> and they told me the password was useless and I had to go back to the
> shop again. They also told me I would be committing fraud if they
> gave me a PAC code! I complained and asked to speak to the manager
> and he also said they could not give me a PAC code unless I registered
> the phone by going back to the store. He said I could give fake
> details if I wished!

Or alternatively, if the password isn't acceptable when you contact them
by phone, is it intended to enable you to access your account via the
phone company's website? That may also have a facility for applying for
a PAC code.

Pete Zahut

Nov 27, 2010, 11:40:04 AM11/27/10

Don't know the answer to your question but (a) ask in uk.telecom.mobile and
(b) if necessary, make the call to customer services while you're in the
shop so that (i) you don't waste time and money travelling from/to shop and
(ii) you can put the conversation on speaker and all take part so that 'left
hand knows what right hand's doing' as it were.

Doctor Dave

Nov 27, 2010, 2:50:04 PM11/27/10
Write to their cusotmer services by registered post. Tell them that
if they don't provide one within the timescales stipulated by Ofcom
then you will be reporting them to Ofcom.

I am not sure that "not registering the phone" would count as a good
enough reason by the regulators.

Robin

Nov 27, 2010, 5:25:04 PM11/27/10
> I am not sure that "not registering the phone" would count as a good
> enough reason by the regulators.

Sounds as if the shop got it wrong. But that said, Ofcom will confirm
that the PAC code can be withheld if "customer fails to provide adequate
identification that he or she is the legitimate account holder". See
http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC. After all, it'd not
be a "good thing" if anyone could just come along and port a number 'cos
they felt like it.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

sid

Nov 28, 2010, 2:35:04 AM11/28/10

The phone should be irrelevant, it is the number you want to move which
is attached to the sim until it is moved to the new company. You could
conceivably use the current sim in any phone you like. I have more than
one phone and swap sims between them, I have had my number moved from
sim to sim a few times within one provider and it is usually very fast.

the_constructor

Nov 28, 2010, 6:45:03 AM11/28/10

"Mark" <i...@dontgetlotsofspamanymore.net> wrote in message

I had a mobile phone given to me. I acquired a SIM Card for O2 and used it
for quite some time, then I wanted to transfer the number to Tesco. I rang
the customer services of O2 and they immediately gave me the PAC code. I
then rang Tesco Mobile and gave them the number and within a week my number
was transferred to new provider.

I didn't have to register with O2 or Tesco....

Geoff Berrow

Nov 28, 2010, 7:35:03 AM11/28/10
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:45:03 +0000, "the_constructor"
<the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> wrote:

>I had a mobile phone given to me. I acquired a SIM Card for O2 and used it
>for quite some time, then I wanted to transfer the number to Tesco. I rang
>the customer services of O2 and they immediately gave me the PAC code.

Useful to know as I am now with O2. When I asked for my PAC from my
argument (literally - we timed the call) while the operator repeatedly
rubbished my choice of phone. This, despite the fact that I told him
I had already bought it and that it was in my pocket.

--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Doctor Dave

Nov 28, 2010, 7:40:04 AM11/28/10
On Nov 27, 10:25 pm, "Robin" <s...@sig.sep> wrote:
> > I am not sure that "not registering the phone" would count as a good
> > enough reason by the regulators.
>
> Sounds as if the shop got it wrong.  But that said, Ofcom will confirm
> that the PAC code can be withheld if "customer fails to provide adequate
> identification that he or she is the legitimate account holder".  Seehttp://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/refuse_PAC.  After all, it'd not

> be a "good thing" if anyone could just come along and port a number 'cos
> they felt like it.
> --
> Robin
> PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

No but that's a rather theoretical point which isn't really relevant
here because the OP has satisfied their identification requirements.
Other examples here illustrate that the identity requiremens are
rather low across a range of mobile telephone companies.

If I were the OP, I'd be complaining to Ofcom by now. Partly the
purpose of that is to put more pressure on the company rather than
necessarily having a watertight complaint. If they are going to have
to do work dealing with Ofcom the OP may well find that they take his
issue rather more seriously.

Mark

Nov 28, 2010, 10:25:04 AM11/28/10

The password does not work for this. There is no facility for
requesting a PAC code via the web site.

Mark

Nov 28, 2010, 10:25:04 AM11/28/10

TBH I am not prepared to return to the shop. It's not close to where
I live and I have no more spare time to waste.

Mark

Nov 28, 2010, 10:31:20 AM11/28/10

I agree with this, but this is not what is actually happening. They
seem unable to accept /any/ real proof (the original purchase receipt)
that I am the account holder, yet they suggest giving fake details to
register the account!!!

Mark

Nov 28, 2010, 10:35:03 AM11/28/10
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:45:03 +0000, "the_constructor"
<the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> wrote:

I think it's really an attempt to get more money from you. They
claimed they would have given the PAC code if I could tell them when I
last topped-up (initial top-up does not count). However I had never
topped up because I always indended to move as soon as the credit ran
out.

I can't see how topping up (especially with cash) has anything to do
with proving who you are.

alan.holmes

Nov 28, 2010, 1:15:04 PM11/28/10

"Mark" <i...@dontgetlotsofspamanymore.net> wrote in message

Showing my ignorance again, what is a 'PAC' code?

Alan

steve robinson

Nov 28, 2010, 1:25:04 PM11/28/10
alan.holmes wrote:

Its the code that allows network providers to tranfer numbers between
each other simply put

the Omrud

Nov 28, 2010, 2:20:04 PM11/28/10
On 28/11/2010 18:25, steve robinson wrote:

> alan.holmes wrote:
>
>> Showing my ignorance again, what is a 'PAC' code?
>
> Its the code that allows network providers to tranfer numbers between
> each other simply put

Equivalent to the MAC code which you need to switch your ADSL supplier.

--
David

S.P.

Nov 29, 2010, 4:50:06 AM11/29/10
alan.holmes wrote:
> "Mark" <i...@dontgetlotsofspamanymore.net> wrote in message

>> Surely there is no law prevents them giving me a PAC code in this
>> situation? Isn't encouraging me to give fake details a bit dodgy
>> too?
>
> Showing my ignorance again, what is a 'PAC' code?

<mode=pedant>
Technically, there is no such thing as a PAC Code.

It is either a PAC, or a Porting Authorisation Code.

A PAC Code would be a Porting Authorisation Code Code[1].
</mode>

A PAC, as the name suggests, allows one to port a mobile telephone number
between providers, so one can move to a different network, but still keep
the same number.

Once issued, the PAC is valid for 30 days (after which it expires and a new
one will need to be generated) and the porting process can take anything
between a few hours and several days.

Regards

S.P.

[1] I know people do the same with PIN when they refer to a PIN Number and,
for the avoidance of doubt, I find that equally frustrating too.

Roland Perry

Nov 29, 2010, 5:55:05 AM11/29/10
In message <4cf376a4$0$2510$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, at 09:50:06 on
Mon, 29 Nov 2010, S.P. <inv...@invalid.invalid> remarked:

>A PAC Code would be a Porting Authorisation Code Code[1].

>[1] I know people do the same with PIN when they refer to a PIN Number and,
>for the avoidance of doubt, I find that equally frustrating too.

And ATM machines. The inventor must be turning in his grave when the BBC
perpetrated this in his Obituary:

"Mr Shepherd-Barron came up with the idea for a cash machine
while in the bath. The first ATM machine was installed at a bank
in London in 1967."

Other redundant expressions include "ASDL line" and "GSM mobile";
although some are required because of company Law: "ICL Ltd".
--
Roland Perry

Martin Bonner

Nov 29, 2010, 8:55:04 AM11/29/10
On Nov 29, 10:55 am, Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <4cf376a4$0$2510$db0fe...@news.zen.co.uk>, at 09:50:06 on
> Mon, 29 Nov 2010, S.P. <inva...@invalid.invalid> remarked:

> >A PAC Code would be a Porting Authorisation Code Code[1].
> >[1] I know people do the same with PIN when they refer to a PIN Number and,
> >for the avoidance of doubt, I find that equally frustrating too.
>
> And ATM machines. The inventor must be turning in his grave when the BBC
> perpetrated this in his Obituary:
>
>         "Mr Shepherd-Barron came up with the idea for a cash machine
>         while in the bath. The first ATM machine was installed at a bank
>         in London in 1967."
>
> Other redundant expressions include "ASDL line" and "GSM mobile";
> although some are required because of company Law: "ICL Ltd".
Technically that last is not redundant. ICL does /not/ (now) stand
for "Imperial Computers Limited", it is just three letters that the
company chose as its name.

Roland Perry

Nov 29, 2010, 9:20:05 AM11/29/10
In message
<5d1ffa4d-3b5c-4ca3...@k5g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, at
13:55:04 on Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Martin Bonner <martin...@yahoo.co.uk>
remarked:

>> although some are required because of company Law: "ICL Ltd".

>Technically that last is not redundant. ICL does /not/ (now) stand
>for "Imperial Computers Limited", it is just three letters that the
>company chose as its name.

It was International Computers, and if it's the same as the dormant
company 02591030, was previously known as "ICL Computers Ltd"
--
Roland Perry

Stuart A. Bronstein

Nov 29, 2010, 11:31:15 AM11/29/10
Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote:

> Other redundant expressions include "ASDL line" and "GSM mobile";
> although some are required because of company Law: "ICL Ltd".

A different context, but one that I find amusing (and have seen more
than once) is "soup du jour of the day."

--
Stu
http://downtoearthlawyer.com

Tim Jackson

Nov 29, 2010, 11:50:04 AM11/29/10
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:31:15 +0000, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote...

> A different context, but one that I find amusing (and have seen more
> than once) is "soup du jour of the day."

I once asked the waitress in an American restaurant for French mustard
(instead of the American mustard she was offering me). "Oh no," she
said, with a puzzled look. "We haven't got anything like that. But
we've got Dijon if you like."

alan.holmes

Nov 29, 2010, 2:25:05 PM11/29/10

"alan.holmes" <alan.h...@somewhere.net> wrote in message

Is no one going to tell me?

> Alan

Geoff Berrow

Nov 29, 2010, 3:10:05 PM11/29/10
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:25:05 +0000, "alan.holmes"
<alan.h...@somewhere.net> wrote:

>> Showing my ignorance again, what is a 'PAC' code?
>
>Is no one going to tell me?

http://www.paccodes.co.uk/

Roland Perry

Nov 29, 2010, 3:50:04 PM11/29/10
In message <15TIo.25608$4J5....@newsfe04.ams2>, at 19:25:05 on Mon, 29
Nov 2010, alan.holmes <alan.h...@somewhere.net> remarked:

>> Showing my ignorance again, what is a 'PAC' code?
>
>Is no one going to tell me?

I would suggest that the answer given by S.P. at 09:50 this morning
qualifies.
--
Roland Perry

m...@privacy.net

Nov 29, 2010, 3:15:04 PM11/29/10
On 28 Nov,
"the_constructor" <the_con...@freeukisp.co.uk> wrote:

> I had a mobile phone given to me. I acquired a SIM Card for O2 and used it
> for quite some time, then I wanted to transfer the number to Tesco. I rang
> the customer services of O2 and they immediately gave me the PAC code. I
> then rang Tesco Mobile and gave them the number and within a week my number
> was transferred to new provider.
>
> I didn't have to register with O2 or Tesco....

Tesco is effectively a reseller of O2. They use the same network. I also
changed effortlessly.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

sid

Nov 29, 2010, 6:50:04 PM11/29/10

I saw a sign recently in southern Ireland at roadworks saying "HGV
Vehicles this lane"....

Mark

Nov 30, 2010, 6:20:04 AM11/30/10
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:50:04 +0000, Tim Jackson
<ne...@timjackson.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:31:15 +0000, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote...
>>
>> A different context, but one that I find amusing (and have seen more
>> than once) is "soup du jour of the day."
>
>I once asked the waitress in an American restaurant for French mustard
>(instead of the American mustard she was offering me). "Oh no," she
>said, with a puzzled look. "We haven't got anything like that. But
>we've got Dijon if you like."

But French mustard is quite different from Dijon mustard, the latter
actually being similar to English mustard.
--
(\__/) M.

John Briggs

Nov 30, 2010, 8:50:04 PM11/30/10
On 29/11/2010 23:50, sid wrote:

> I saw a sign recently in southern Ireland at roadworks saying "HGV
> Vehicles this lane"....

Southern Ireland, an entity constituted by the Government of Ireland Act
1920, only existed between 3 May 1921 and 6 December 1922. Like its
successors, the Irish Free State and Ireland (usually called the
Republic of Ireland) it included County Donegal, the northernmost county
of the island of Ireland! The legal name of the state would appear to be
"Ireland" in Ireland (Republic of Ireland Act 1948) and "Republic of
Ireland" in the UK (Ireland Act 1949). Previously, the legal name in the
UK was "Éire" (Eire [Confirmation of Agreements] Act 1938), which in
Ireland is only the name of the state in the Irish language.

If you just say "The Irish Republic" everyone knows where you are
talking about...
--
John Briggs

Adrian

Dec 1, 2010, 2:55:04 AM12/1/10

I think most people got it anyway... "The bit of Ireland that isn't
Northern".

'course, it might have been somewhere around Cork...

Scion

Dec 1, 2010, 7:32:04 AM12/1/10
Mark wrote:

> I think it's really an attempt to get more money from you. They
> claimed they would have given the PAC code if I could tell them when I
> last topped-up (initial top-up does not count). However I had never
> topped up because I always indended to move as soon as the credit ran
> out.
>
> I can't see how topping up (especially with cash) has anything to do
> with proving who you are.

I would have thought that saying you had never topped up would be as good as
giving the last top-up date.

sid

Dec 1, 2010, 10:50:04 PM12/1/10

If you live in the north, you call it the south.

Of course the various political parties use different terms, but calling
it the south up here is a politically neutral term.

Christopher Bowlas

Dec 7, 2010, 10:10:04 AM12/7/10
On Nov 29, 4:31 pm, "Stuart A. Bronstein" <spamt...@lexregia.com>
wrote:

> Roland Perry <rol...@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> > Other redundant expressions include "ASDL line" and "GSM mobile";
> > although some are required because of company Law: "ICL Ltd".
>
> A different context, but one that I find amusing (and have seen more
> than once) is "soup du jour of the day."

Does one ever receive the explanation that the flavor (sic) is "du
jour"?

Stuart A. Bronstein

Dec 7, 2010, 12:05:04 PM12/7/10

Not that I've noticed. I've also seen "with au jus sauce." I guess
that could be called redundant, superfluous, extraneous and
supererogatory.

--
Stu
http://downtoearthlawyer.com

Mark

Dec 8, 2010, 4:50:06 AM12/8/10

I would agree. They do not.

Anyway I used their suggestion of registering using fake details and I
got the PAC code! So much for security.