Re: Sectioned inpatients told to attend jobcentre or risk losing benefits

JNugent

Feb 13, 2024, 3:12:51 PMFeb 13
On 12/02/2024 05:03, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/10/seriously-ill-mental-health-inpatients-told-to-attend-jobcentre-or-risk-losing-benefits
>

> "Mental health inpatients have been told to attend jobcentre meetings
> relating to their benefits claims, including one claimant who was told
> to turn up for a work-related appointment, the Observer can reveal.
>
> Three patients at Forston clinic, an NHS mental health inpatient service
> near Dorchester, were told to attend meetings or risk their benefits
> being cut in recent months – sparking complaints from the local Citizens
> Advice branch, which has an adviser based at the clinic.
>
> Despite appearing to contradict national guidance from the Department
> for Work and Pensions (DWP), local jobcentre managers have refused
> requests from Citizens Advice Central Dorset to guarantee that no
> further demands of mental health inpatients will be made."
>
> I am speechless.

Are you sure?

On the face of it, that seems unlikely.

> One could say they could just appeal and/or complain,
> but, out of my personal experience, if you have serious mental health
> issues, you just don't have the strength to complain. This is the modern
> equivalent of medieval landlords killing random peasants just for kicks.

Did the person sending the letter (ie, making the decision to send it)
know the current circumstances of the person converned?

Whatever your answer might be (other than "I don't know") how did you
come by them?

Pamela

Feb 20, 2024, 2:59:34 PMFeb 20
On 11:03 12 Feb 2024, Ottavio Caruso said:

> [SNIP]
>
> One could say they could just appeal and/or complain, but, out of my
> personal experience, if you have serious mental health issues, you
> just don't have the strength to complain.

There are many serious mental health conditions where a patient
would have strength enough to complain. Your own experience shouldn't be
taken as universal.

In this particular instance, three patients out of an entire hospital
have been asked to attend an appointment, which seems feasible.